Author Topic: Speculation on TAR16 *no wish-lists please*  (Read 277625 times)

Offline 2old4tech

• RFF Full Member
Re: Speculation on TAR16 *no wish-lists please*
« Reply #825 on: January 23, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
Some Fort Seclin re-enactment video:

Lots of possible tasks.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #826 on: January 23, 2010, 05:09:58 PM »
This reenactment is reminding me of the Family Edition Leg #2! :snicker:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #827 on: January 23, 2010, 05:50:48 PM »
The problem with battlefield re-enactments is that they all seem to take place about the same time of year as the orginal battle. There were very few winter offensives in WWI. In the early December time frame, I only found two battles.

One The Battle of Givenchy is in the Pas-de-Calis region, not far from the Chunnel entrance on the French Side.

The other The Battle of Champagne is east of Paris, near Reims.

These were major engagements. This certainly doesn't mean some local area cannot celebrate some minor battle or skirmish that took place in their town. The comment about the difficult re-enactment just might be a reference to the worst winter in Europe referenced by Apskip, and not to the actual difficulty of the re-enactment

With more information appearing that seems to point to Liverpool/England for the Beatle spoiler, I think it is possible that BVM used the EuroStar/Chunnel to hype the show/do something new and get teams from England to the re-enactment to Paris for departure to Seychelles.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:42:35 PM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #828 on: January 23, 2010, 06:12:33 PM »
Some Fort Seclin re-enactment video:

Lots of possible tasks.

I love this video!! But my mind immediately went to Dan marching. :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #829 on: January 23, 2010, 06:15:09 PM »
The problem with battlefield re-enactments is that they all seem to take place about the same time of year as the orginal battle. There were very few winter offensives in WWI. In the early December time frame, I only found two battles.

One The Battle of Givenchy is in the Pas-de-Calis region, not far from the Chunnel entrance on the French Side.

The other The Battle of Champagne is east of Paris, near Reims.

These were major engagements. This certainly doesn't mean some local area cannot celebrate some minor battle or skirmish that took place in their town. The comment about the difficult re-enactment just might be a reference to the worst winter in Europe referenced by Apskip, and not to the actual difficulty of the re-enactment

With more information appearing that seems to point to Liverpool for the Beatle spoiler, I think it is possible that BVM used the EuroStar/Chunnel to hype the show/do something new and get teams from England to the re-enactment to Paris for departure to Seychelles.

It's effective money saving: buses in South America for 2 legs and trains in Europe for two legs. It's also much better than bunching on airlines for short-haul flights. Finally, it recalls TAR 3.
Didn't somebody say it's not cheap to go to the Seychelles?

Dandrew were amusing, made the Moscow legs unique in ways I never imagined.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #830 on: January 23, 2010, 08:20:05 PM »
2old4tech,

When I saw the video, I have a new appreciation for the probability of Fort de Seclin being the right place. It could well be that place, as few places in France are a permanent and living museum. I think here are some great ideas for tasks:

1. Dressing up as soldiers and marching (playing the British, French or German soldiers does not look difficult and I think the probability of another Andrew/Dan marching trials/tribulations is low)
2. Find an object in that museum (I am recalling Amazing Race Asia 3 - the Miniatures Museum in Taipei)
3. Dig trenches

I am honoring your find with a map of the south side of the greater Lille area(see lowest pane) showing Seclin about 10 miles south of the center of Lille, just west of Route National E17/A1. Look to the left of the circled H. That is maybe a 20 minute drive from the train station to Seclin. With left-hand drive like in the U.S. and signage that is eminently readable there is no reason why AR16 teams could not go to self-drive vehicles which they then take on to Charles de Gaulle airport.

Map of Area near Seclin France in bottom pane

I would also like to furnish directions from Seclin to CDG airport, which is 16 miles northeast of the center of Paris. It is quite simple:

1. Get on the A1 toll road south to Paris for approximately 175 km. Take the exit 6-Roissy-en-France.
2. Do a zig-zag left/right/left/left/right/right/left/right for the next 8 km.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:29:57 PM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #831 on: January 23, 2010, 08:35:47 PM »
That would also work well with the Eurostar from UK to Lille... very little driving needed.

:yess:

here is an example of possible trains on an arbitrary day...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:39:56 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #832 on: January 24, 2010, 04:41:13 AM »
Fort de Seclin looks like the perfect TAR location. A great location for a detour and pit stop. According to their webite, they are closed for winter a few day after the re-enactments commemorating the end of WWI in Nov. They cater and have dining facilities, meeting rooms for teams to sleep in and easy for site security. They already have their own re-enactment actors on staff. A perfect TAR place. If they didn't use it, they sure should have!

Fort de Seclin

As Apskip mentioned, it is very easy to drive from the fort to CDG for flights to the Seychelles. It is also very easy to take the TGV to CDG as well from Lille or Lens. There is a TGV stop right under the terminal at CDG. Fort de Seclin is about 10 minute taxi ride to the Lille airport too.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 05:05:14 AM by DrRox »

Offline Benedicto

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • OMG....Natalie...Prayer Warriors Prevails <3
« Reply #833 on: January 24, 2010, 07:19:03 AM »
For Mahe, I think there would be some tea-related tasks.  :hearts:  :jumpy:  :wohoo:
I'M ON THE EDGE WITH YOU

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #834 on: January 24, 2010, 04:35:54 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Indra-Club-Hamburg.png
can this be on of loctoin thif is frist place perform in hamburger germany

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #835 on: January 24, 2010, 04:43:30 PM »

I think they are going to Liverpool, England. The World War I battle reenactment is in France. Do they even visit Germany this season?

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #836 on: January 24, 2010, 05:04:01 PM »
For Mahe, I think there would be some tea-related tasks.  :hearts:  :jumpy:  :wohoo:
Find the RED tea leaf, lol! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :groan:

I think Tammy Gaghan wouldn't like to see that! (:;)
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #837 on: January 24, 2010, 05:50:51 PM »
I posed a suggestion a few days back about perhaps both Hamburg and Liverpool coming into play. The Germany spoiler came from a newspaper article in Barichole attributed to the TAR production crew; and I'm still thinking Germany may play a role in there somehow.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #838 on: January 24, 2010, 05:51:06 PM »

I think they are going to Liverpool, England. The World War I battle reenactment is in France. Do they even visit Germany this season?

It's either Germany or England: can't have both.
Germany's been visited recently, so I would like to think TAR 16 goes to England and have two legs there. From Hamburg, it's hard to get to Lille w/o passing through Belgium. Of course, they may have also gone to Strasbourg.

What's surprising is that nobody saw the racers in Europe. They've gotten better at hiding...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #839 on: January 24, 2010, 05:58:59 PM »
Both Liverpool and France seem to be confirmed by the press releases.

Germany has never been anything more than a media mention, in a foreign language paper. We don't know where that info came from or how to intrepret it...it could have been as simple as production connecting thru Germany, or someone misinterpreting something they heard.

If we have England, and I personally think there is no doubt...then we don't have Germany. 8 countries.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #840 on: January 24, 2010, 09:13:04 PM »
Bringing this over from the Timeline thread:

I doubt it will be a final 4  but I think that one of them was eliminated and took the same flight with the final 3

Or there could be a surprise twist that has one of the 4 teams eliminated in the US.  It could be very unexpected.  We're watching Episode 11 (on the basis of a 12 episode season), and they went through all of the 3 NE episodes (or 2 NE + 1 TBC), and you'd think that this episode is obviously a Philimination.

Then Phil saves that team, and everyone watching is in shock.  Then, it's finale time.  Everyone is trying to get back to the US and to the Finish line.  Somewhere in the middle of the episode, there's a mid-leg Philimination.  Then they're down to 3 teams, all of which will race to the Finish Mat.

Probably won't happen, although I might reconsider the possibility of the above occurring, if we're lucky enough to get a 2-hr finale (with a single leg stretched out in the form of the AR 6-9 premieres).

I could see this happening, even if there wasn't a two-hour finale. The producers seem to be all about surprises lately in an effort to keep things fresh. This could be the sequel to the Starting Line elimination we saw in TAR 15.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #841 on: January 24, 2010, 09:30:38 PM »
Except we already know one decoy team arrived on the same flight with the racers...remember??

4 teams on the last flight is not unexpected.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #842 on: January 24, 2010, 09:41:56 PM »
Except we already know one decoy team arrived on the same flight with the racers...remember??

4 teams on the last flight is not unexpected.

Oh, you mean the picture of Louie & Mike in San Fran airport? Dang it. Oh well.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #843 on: January 24, 2010, 11:21:56 PM »
I guess I need to go back and read. I thought that Mike and Louie came in a day early with some production people.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #844 on: January 25, 2010, 02:01:38 AM »
With some production people, same flight as the teams. Only flight from Shanghai in that time frame.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #845 on: January 25, 2010, 01:23:26 PM »
If they came on the same flight, how were the F3 not seen? ???

Offline Mattjimf

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #846 on: January 25, 2010, 05:31:40 PM »
On the Liverpool theme John Lennon's Childhood home Mendips is closed between November and February - http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-mendips so could have been opened especially for a task.
Also the church where John and Paul first met, St. Peter's - http://www.stpeters-woolton.org.uk/index.php which also has the grave of Elenor Rigby.

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #847 on: January 25, 2010, 05:54:52 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNfWjMqAi8s
cbs is fast with things just kind this might be the intro for this season

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #848 on: January 25, 2010, 05:59:22 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNfWjMqAi8s