Author Topic: Speculation on TAR16 *no wish-lists please*  (Read 277671 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Speculation on TAR16 *no wish-lists please*
« Reply #800 on: January 21, 2010, 09:16:09 PM »
Grueling Roadblock. Does it involve meat, anybody? :lol3: :yess:

EDIT: But wait! It's supposedly in Chile, not Argentina. Any famous Chile Roadblocks?

The only RBs in Chile were the boardroom puzzle and the fish transporting, both in AS. I don't think either is grueling (or infamous enough to be a switchback), but I wouldn't mind the fish to return given our cast  :lol:
My speculation is that teams never get south of Puerto Varas. They need to be about 30 miles south of it to reach Metri for the fish tanks.

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #801 on: January 22, 2010, 01:29:20 PM »
According to wikipedia, they'd visited 9 countries, 5 continents and 40,000 miles for TAR 16.  I do believe these are the countries that will visit it:

South American side:
1. Chile
2. Argentina

Europe side:
3. France
4. Belgium - (if Paraguay does or doesn't include?)
5. Germany - (if Paraguay does or doesn't include?)

African side:
6. Seychelles

Asian side:
7. Malaysia
8. Singapore
9. China

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #802 on: January 22, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
Sucks has Joe & Heidi down as the first boot, followed by Jody & Shannon, Dana & Adrian, Monique & Shawne, and ending with Jordan & Jeff.  At least in terms of the sequester eliminations.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #803 on: January 22, 2010, 02:13:16 PM »
According to wikipedia, they'd visited 9 countries, 5 continents and 40,000 miles for TAR 16.  I do believe these are the countries that will visit it:

South American side:
1. Chile
2. Argentina

Europe side:
3. France

African side:
6. Seychelles

Asian side:
7. Malaysia
8. Singapore
9. China

Topaz, we keep suggesting that you not quote wiki here, as ANYONE can edit it and it is often filled with misinformation during the pre-airing phase.

So in this case, we know that there are only 8 countries from the press release info. So we can't have 3 European countries.

Contestants will travel nearly 40,000 miles across five continents and eight countriesEleven Teams start off by navigating through the congested streets of Los Angeles and, for the first time ever, must rely solely on public transportation to make their way to LAX.  The Teams' first destination lies in Chile where they will encounter one of the most daunting Roadblocks in the history of the series.  In their ongoing battle for the one million dollar prize, Teams will participate in a grueling World War I reenactment in France, retrace the early days of the iconic rock group, The Beatles, and come face-to-face with one of the world's most infamous villains.

If you had read the rest of this thread, you would have seen that we believe Germany (Hamburg in particular) may cover the Beatles reference nicely. So Paraguay is out, and that means no room for Belgium -- again.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #804 on: January 22, 2010, 02:23:17 PM »
According to wikipedia, they'd visited 9 countries, 5 continents and 40,000 miles for TAR 16.  I do believe these are the countries that will visit it:

South American side:
1. Chile
2. Argentina

Europe side:
3. France

African side:
6. Seychelles

Asian side:
7. Malaysia
8. Singapore
9. China

Topaz, we keep suggesting that you not quote wiki here, as ANYONE can edit it and it is often filled with misinformation during the pre-airing phase.

So in this case, we know that there are only 8 countries from the press release info. So we can't have 3 European countries.

Contestants will travel nearly 40,000 miles across five continents and eight countries.  Eleven Teams start off by navigating through the congested streets of Los Angeles and, for the first time ever, must rely solely on public transportation to make their way to LAX.  The Teams' first destination lies in Chile where they will encounter one of the most daunting Roadblocks in the history of the series.  In their ongoing battle for the one million dollar prize, Teams will participate in a grueling World War I reenactment in France, retrace the early days of the iconic rock group, The Beatles, and come face-to-face with one of the world's most infamous villains.

If you had read the rest of this thread, you would have seen that we believe Germany (Hamburg in particular) may cover the Beatles reference nicely. So Paraguay is out, and that means no room for Belgium -- again.

It says nine countries because it includes the USA. No Belgium. It was listed as eight on the wiki before (since they just copy whatever is in the press releases), but I had to change it to nine to include the USA like the previous seasons did. For some reason, press releases are no longer interested in counting the USA as a country. :duno:

Yes, the USA and North America still count in the country and continent count (or at least, they should).
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #805 on: January 22, 2010, 02:36:18 PM »
Sucks has Joe & Heidi down as the first boot, followed by Jody & Shannon, Dana & Adrian, Monique & Shawne, and ending with Jordan & Jeff.  At least in terms of the sequester eliminations.

Paron, Sucks unfortunately does no active spoiling on their own any longer. You are quoting someone who takes ALL of his info from here and doesn't always get it right.

That info is based on our info, but our info is NOT giving a boot order. While we do have the bottom five down, we aren't giving any kind of a boot order yet except for what is in the first post of the TIMELINE thread:

TEAM SPOILER SUMMARY
Probable Bottom 5
Jodi & Shannon (Possibly eliminated in Puerto Varas (Leg 2))
Jeff & Jordan (Photographed with Elimination Station teams; among first 5-6 teams eliminated)  
Adrian & Dana (Photographed with Elimination Station teams; among first 5-6 teams eliminated)
Monique & Shawne (Photographed with Elimination Station teams; among first 5-6 teams eliminated)
Joseph & Heidi (Photographed with Elimination Station teams; among first 5-6 teams eliminated)

With the evidence of:

Safe From Elimination at End of Episode:
Jeff & Jordan?: Possibly spotted 11/30 in Chile wearing red
Grandmother & Granddaughter: Photographed at Puerto Varas pit stop (Leg 2)
Dan & Jordan: Spotted en route to Penang, Malaysia
Steve & Allie: Spotted in Penang, possibly spotted in Singapore
Mike & Louie: Spotted in Singapore
Carol & Brandy: Spotted in Singapore
Brent & Caitlin: Possibly spotted 11/30 at Turbus terminal in Santiago, possibly spotted on Puerto Varas leg (Leg 2), possibly spotted in Singapore/San Francisco
Jet & Cord: Possibly spotted in San Francisco

Which leaves:

Possibly Eliminated:
Adrian & Dana?
Monique & Shawne?
Joseph & Heidi?

So yes, Joe and Heidi could be the first out. But there is not enough evidence to say so, unless Claude found a new spoiler somewhere. ???
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #806 on: January 22, 2010, 02:42:20 PM »

It says nine countries because it includes the USA. No Belgium. It was listed as eight on the wiki before (since they just copy whatever is in the press releases), but I had to change it to nine to include the USA like the previous seasons did. For some reason, press releases are no longer interested in counting the USA as a country. :duno:

Yes, the USA and North America still count in the country and continent count (or at least, they should).

Okay Hooky, that makes better sense. Thanks. I guess maybe the press releases don't count the US in because WRP/CBS/BVM don't include it in their counts. Maybe wiki could read eight NON-US countries?? :duno:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #807 on: January 22, 2010, 07:06:14 PM »
Peach, thank you.  I mostly brought that here to get it confirmed or denied.

Similarly, someone else on Sucks said it'd most likely get confirmed or denied here.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #808 on: January 22, 2010, 07:17:37 PM »
Peach, thank you.  I mostly brought that here to get it confirmed or denied.

Similarly, someone else on Sucks said it'd most likely get confirmed or denied here.

Well, just ask one of us next time?? :lol3:

Or keep an eye on the first post of the Timeline thread, woden is doing an incredible job on that. And puddin is updating the first post of the spoiler thread with a summary as well, so that's another great source of info!! :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #809 on: January 22, 2010, 07:25:11 PM »
Let me put my two cents worth... I noticed something

Alcatraz is near San Francisco, could there be a finale task there? Also Al Capone was imprisoned there. It's quite remote from what I here, so not much spoilers, maybe. Al Capone is villainous...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #810 on: January 22, 2010, 07:40:32 PM »
Noticed what??  ???

Alcatraz is swarming with tourists every single day all day, almost impossible to close because of the scheduled tours. And not remote at all, it is right in the bay, every ferry runs right by it.

And plus, thanks to all the tweets, we pretty much have SF covered.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #811 on: January 22, 2010, 08:02:24 PM »

Alcatraz is near San Francisco, could there be a finale task there? Also Al Capone was imprisoned there. It's quite remote from what I here, so not much spoilers, maybe. Al Capone is villainous...

The only way to get to Alcatraz is by boat or flying in right? Someone would have spotted them.

Offline River

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #812 on: January 22, 2010, 08:05:15 PM »

The only way to get to Alcatraz is by boat or flying in right? Someone would have spotted them.
I think Alcatraz is out. Much to popular for them to go to!
 :lol3:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #813 on: January 22, 2010, 09:23:06 PM »

"The only way to get to or from Alcatraz Island is by ferry boat from Fisherman’s Wharf. That is, unless you consider yourself to be a very good open water swimmer."

Now, if you examine a map of Alcatraz Island you can see 2 places (Parade Ground and and the boat dock) where someone might put a small helicopter down. I do not believe that anyone is allowed to do that.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 09:36:46 PM by apskip »

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #814 on: January 22, 2010, 09:46:04 PM »

"The only way to get to or from Alcatraz Island is by ferry boat from Fisherman’s Wharf. That is, unless you consider yourself to be a very good open water swimmer."

Now, if you examine a map of Alcatraz Island you can see 2 places (Parade Ground and and the boat dock) where someone might put a small helicopter down. I do not believe that anyone is allowed to do that.

I thought there was a movie shot there. Maybe they filmed the helicopter landing some where else? I do not think the teams went there BTW.

DavidJunior

« Reply #815 on: January 23, 2010, 12:08:36 AM »
Alcatraz should definitely be out

it's one of the biggest tourist attractions in San Francisco.

believe me, if they went there, we would've heard it by now, just by the amount of people that go everyday

and if it was closed down, it'd probably be all over local news (which it wasn't).  on top of that, closing Alcatraz even for a little while would cost a ton of $$$, solely becuase the tour companies would be losing a ton of $$$ in that time.  and with the budgeting trend as of late....

now, angel island could be slightly more likely...

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #816 on: January 23, 2010, 12:09:34 AM »

Okay Hooky, that makes better sense. Thanks. I guess maybe the press releases don't count the US in because WRP/CBS/BVM don't include it in their counts. Maybe wiki could read eight NON-US countries?? :duno:

Well, both the wiki and press releases used to count it (possibly even as late as last season), but for some reason they are being different this time. North America and the US have been counted in the continent and country counts of every past season except for this one.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #817 on: January 23, 2010, 01:08:20 AM »
Is there anyway they could have gone to England instead of Germany? I came across this article when I was searching google and found this. It could be a typo  :duno: :

Jeff and Jordan, who met on “Big Brother 11″ (she won) and are described as “newly dating,” are one of the 11 teams announced for the 16th edition of “The Amazing Race,” which debuts at 7 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 14, on CBS. (Happy Valentine’s Day to us!)

Jeff Schroeder, 31, is a salesman from Norridge, Ill. Jordan Lloyd, 22, is a receptionist from Charlotte, N.C. Few thought the relationship would survive outside the “Big Brother” house; now the question is whether it will survive a race around the world, including a first stop in Chile and later challenges including the reenactment of a World War I battle in France and a Beatles-centric puzzle in Liverpool, England.

Also on the race is Caitlin Upton, the former Miss Teen South Carolina who became the butt of a thousand jokes after badly botching an answer about geography. Upton, 20, a model, is teamed with her boyfriend, Brent Horne, as “dating models.”

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #818 on: January 23, 2010, 01:17:31 AM »
Is there anyway they could have gone to England instead of Germany? I came across this article when I was searching google and found this. It could be a typo  :duno: :

Jeff and Jordan, who met on “Big Brother 11″ (she won) and are described as “newly dating,” are one of the 11 teams announced for the 16th edition of “The Amazing Race,” which debuts at 7 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 14, on CBS. (Happy Valentine’s Day to us!)

Jeff Schroeder, 31, is a salesman from Norridge, Ill. Jordan Lloyd, 22, is a receptionist from Charlotte, N.C. Few thought the relationship would survive outside the “Big Brother” house; now the question is whether it will survive a race around the world, including a first stop in Chile and later challenges including the reenactment of a World War I battle in France and a Beatles-centric puzzle in Liverpool, England.

Also on the race is Caitlin Upton, the former Miss Teen South Carolina who became the butt of a thousand jokes after badly botching an answer about geography. Upton, 20, a model, is teamed with her boyfriend, Brent Horne, as “dating models.”

That sounds like a very likely possibility! Can you give a link?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #819 on: January 23, 2010, 01:58:29 AM »
Thanks Sailing!

I believe this came from Gail Pennington's article:

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/tube-talk/tv-news/2010/01/amazing-race-returns-feb-14-here-are-the-teams/

She is a well respected writer on TV and my guess is that she had a different press release. I would think that we need to take this at face value right now, although I am following this up....

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #820 on: January 23, 2010, 02:11:32 AM »
Thanks Sailing!

I believe this came from Gail Pennington's article:

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/tube-talk/tv-news/2010/01/amazing-race-returns-feb-14-here-are-the-teams/

She is a well respected writer on TV and my guess is that she had a different press release. I would think that we need to take this at face value right now, although I am following this up....

:yess: I was just about to post that link. Thank you for doing it. I hope this leads to something......

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #821 on: January 23, 2010, 12:40:59 PM »
A Liverpool leg could also imply a London leg.

Offline 2old4tech

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #822 on: January 23, 2010, 12:59:44 PM »
Maybe this helps:  (not the dates, just the location)

Date: Saturday 17th October 2009
Fort Seclin

Great War Event at Fort Seclin nr Lille France. 17 & 18/10/09

copied from here http://www.thegreatwarsociety.com/

Info on Fort Seclin
http://www.cheminsdememoire.gouv.fr/page/affichelieu.php?idLieu=1163&idLang=en

This needs a lot more "TAR Detecting", but I'm not very good at it (see screen name  :lol:)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 01:03:05 PM by 2old4tech »

Offline 2old4tech

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #823 on: January 23, 2010, 01:10:41 PM »
^^They do a WW1 re-enactment there every year.  Probably still set up when the Race comes through.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #824 on: January 23, 2010, 01:15:59 PM »
Maybe this helps:  (not the dates, just the location)

Date: Saturday 17th October 2009
Fort Seclin

Great War Event at Fort Seclin nr Lille France. 17 & 18/10/09

copied from here http://www.thegreatwarsociety.com/

Info on Fort Seclin
http://www.cheminsdememoire.gouv.fr/page/affichelieu.php?idLieu=1163&idLang=en

This needs a lot more "TAR Detecting", but I'm not very good at it (see screen name  :lol:)

2old4tech,
Good job of spotting that. There a significant number of WW! societies in the U.S. and in England, but few in France. The list event you mention above was followed by Training weekend at the Black Country Museum in Dudley, West Midlands. 16/1/10 & 17/1/10, which of course is about 5 weeks too late to do any good for AR16 and of course not in France. To be useful, the event must be between about Dec. 5 and Dec. 10.  I do not agree that the reenactment staging materials at Fort Seclin is likely to have been left in place for 7 weeks, but I hop you are right. I have been looking for events since the news about a WW1 French battlefield arrived and I have yet to come up with one. It was one of the worst winters on record in northwestern France.