Author Topic: Speculation on TAR16 *no wish-lists please*  (Read 277592 times)

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
Re: Speculation on TAR16 *no wish-lists please*
« Reply #775 on: January 19, 2010, 05:33:54 PM »
I'm still taking all spec between our confirmed legs in Bariloche and Penang with a grain of salt.
That said, I wouldn't be surprised if TAR decided to be cheap innovative and have five legs in SA, including 2 in Argentina.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #776 on: January 21, 2010, 12:06:34 PM »
Time to revive the speculation thread. CBS' press release below reveals the following:

Teams' first destination lies in Chile where they will encounter one of the most daunting Roadblocks in the history of the series.  In their ongoing battle for the one million dollar prize, Teams will participate in a grueling World War I reenactment in France, retrace the early days of the iconic rock group, The Beatles, and come face-to-face with one of the world's most infamous villains.

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/div.php/cbs_entertainment/release?id=23931

The early days of the Beatles would imply England, perhaps Liverpool (my original assumption) or Hamburg, Germany? The latter would be in line with the Bariloche article.
Also, the villain could easily be Darth Vader in SF.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 06:12:30 PM by Caelestor »

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #777 on: January 21, 2010, 12:39:18 PM »
Time to revive the speculation thread. CBS' press release below reveals the following:

Teams' first destination lies in Chile where they will encounter one of the most daunting Roadblocks in the history of the series.  In their ongoing battle for the one million dollar prize, Teams will participate in a grueling World War I reenactment in France, retrace the early days of the iconic rock group, The Beatles, and come face-to-face with one of the world's most infamous villains.

The early days of the Beatles would imply England, perhaps Liverpool?

The better known battles and those with the highest number of casualities in France during WWI would include the battles of The Marne, Ypres, Somme and Verdun.

The early days of the Beatles might include Hamburg, Germany where they first obtained notice during their nightclub gigs there.

And I finally found time to read mosts of the recent posts on this and other threads and have I completely missed it, but no one, I mean no one has wished our dear, dear Puddin a Happy Birthday?  She turned (CENSORED) on January 19., (Puddin, my lips are sealed) :hearts:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #778 on: January 21, 2010, 01:29:27 PM »

Teams' first destination lies in Chile where they will encounter one of the most daunting Roadblocks in the history of the series.  In their ongoing battle for the one million dollar prize, Teams will participate in a grueling World War I reenactment in France, retrace the early days of the iconic rock group, The Beatles, and come face-to-face with one of the world's most infamous villains.

The early days of the Beatles would imply England, perhaps Liverpool?

The better known battles and those with the highest number of casualities in France during WWI would include the battles of The Marne, Ypres, Somme and Verdun.

The early days of the Beatles might include Hamburg, Germany where they first obtained notice during their nightclub gigs there.

And I finally found time to read mosts of the recent posts on this and other threads and have I completely missed it, but no one, I mean no one has wished our dear, dear Puddin a Happy Birthday?  She turned (CENSORED) on January 19., (Puddin, my lips are sealed) :hearts:

I think GMan is right on with this. Here is some info from the history of the Beatles:

Allan Williams arranged a resident band booking for them in Hamburg, Germany. Before the end of August 1960 they auditioned and hired drummer Pete Best and the five-piece band left for Hamburg four days later, contracted to fairground showman Bruno Koschmider for a 48-night residency.

I highly doubt that we are talking Liverpool even though that is more obvious.

There are a whole lot of World War I Battle sites in northern France and Belgium. They include the Somme, the Marne, Chateau-Thierry, Arras, Artois, Messines, Champagne, St. Mihiel, Amiens and Verdun in France and Mons, Ypres, Passchendaele, Flanders and Argonne in Belgium.

All these sites share one this in common - all are located north and east of Paris and south and west of Hamburg. I think it would be quite easy for teams to get by car to a WWI battlefield, do a task, and then go on to Hamburg. Will this be one leg or two from Charles to DeGaulle to Hamburg airport? I don't know as it could be either one.

To fly from Hamburg to Mahe is quite easy:

HAM to FRA - choice of LH013 1215 1330, LH017 1400 1515, or LH019 1540 1655  connecting to

FRA SEZ - DE5302 2020 0840+1

The only difficult concept in the logic chain for this is the distance from Paris to Hamburg, which is 465 miles. The battlefields are typically 100 to 150 miles from Paris. That leaves about 315 to 365 miles to traverse by car from the battlefields to Hamburg.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 06:42:32 AM by apskip »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #779 on: January 21, 2010, 01:52:01 PM »
Didn't we have the Spanish-language newspaper article that mentioned Germany?

I think the Beatles reference in the CBS materials points to Hamburg; and that the teams flew to Germany before France.

And IIRC, the Seychelles were a French colony before it became independent, which I think would point to a Argentina-Germany-France-Seychelles leg order and possibly no Paraguay.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 04:54:06 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #780 on: January 21, 2010, 02:16:53 PM »
Didn't we have the Spanish-language newspaper article that mentioned Germany?

I think the Beatles reference in the CBS materials points to Hamburg; and that the teams flew to Germany before France.

And IIRC, the Seychelles were a French colony before it became independent, which I think would point to a Argentina-Germany-Fance-Seychelles leg order and possibly no Paraguay.

I now also agree with Hamburg, as it corroborates the Bariloche article.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #781 on: January 21, 2010, 02:41:19 PM »

have I completely missed it, but no one, I mean no one has wished our dear, dear Puddin a Happy Birthday?  She turned (CENSORED) on January 19., (Puddin, my lips are sealed) :hearts:

Here you go G-Man, BD wishes are here!

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,21608.msg507713/boardseen.html#new

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #782 on: January 21, 2010, 02:43:02 PM »
I do not know where the big jump across "The Puddle" (the Atlantic Ocean). One line of thinking says that it was from Buenos Aires (which may or may not imply skipping Paraguay). Here is the one basic flight combination from there:

LH511 EZE FRA 2150 1500+1
LH020 FRA HAM 1655+1 1755+1

If the transatlantic crossing originated from Sao Paulo, then there are several options based on different connecting cities:

LH505 GRU MUC 1440 0520+1
AB6296 MUC HAM 0615+1 0735+1

AZ677 GRU MXP 1800 0800+1
LH3919 MXP HAM 0920+1 1100+1

LH507 GRU FRA 2005 1035+1
LH012 FRA HAM 1220+1 1320+1

KL792 GRU AMS 2105 1140+1
KL1781 AMS HAM 1310+1 1415+1

A flight from EZE to HAM could have gone through GRU if the departure from EZE was before 1520.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #783 on: January 21, 2010, 03:28:38 PM »
Grueling Roadblock. Does it involve meat, anybody? :lol3: :yess:

EDIT: But wait! It's supposedly in Chile, not Argentina. Any famous Chile Roadblocks?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 03:38:52 PM by Hooky »
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline caper

• StartLine Finder Queen!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #784 on: January 21, 2010, 03:38:39 PM »
http://webs.wichita.edu/mschneegurt/hamburg/hamburg.html

I am thinking Hamburg as well - The Beatles in their early days would travel via ferry from england to Hamburg to play gigs (from 1959 to 1962)  The above is a great link which lists locations

:wohoo:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 03:42:27 PM by caper »

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #785 on: January 21, 2010, 03:41:49 PM »

EDIT: But wait! It's supposedly in Chile, not Argentina. Any famous Chile Roadblocks?

The only RBs in Chile were the boardroom puzzle and the fish transporting, both in AS. I don't think either is grueling (or infamous enough to be a switchback), but I wouldn't mind the fish to return given our cast  :lol:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #786 on: January 21, 2010, 03:43:09 PM »

The only RBs in Chile were the boardroom puzzle and the fish transporting, both in AS. I don't think either is grueling (or infamous enough to be a switchback), but I wouldn't mind the fish to return given our cast  :lol:

Do you guys think Chile being the Switchback is a press mistake and it's really Argentina, or will they be doing the same RB in a different location? ???
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #787 on: January 21, 2010, 03:46:50 PM »

The only RBs in Chile were the boardroom puzzle and the fish transporting, both in AS. I don't think either is grueling (or infamous enough to be a switchback), but I wouldn't mind the fish to return given our cast  :lol:

Do you guys think Chile being the Switchback is a press mistake and it's really Argentina, or will they be doing the same RB in a different location? ???

From what I read, I doubt its a Switchback. It just seems like the one they'll have to complete will be one of the most daunting ever.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #788 on: January 21, 2010, 03:47:13 PM »
The way I read it, that press release says NOTHING about a switchback. It just says they encounter a daunting RB...nothing in that sentence that says AGAIN.

:duno:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #789 on: January 21, 2010, 03:58:18 PM »
The way I read it, that press release says NOTHING about a switchback. It just says they encounter a daunting RB...nothing in that sentence that says AGAIN.

:duno:

Well, I was assuming it is the Switchback because it says "one of the most grueling Roadblocks in race history." Or do they mean future history?

It's similar to the way they revealed the Switchback for last season: "...the race revisits one of the most memorable Roadblocks in Amazing Race history."

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #790 on: January 21, 2010, 04:36:02 PM »
Hamburg to Paris looks great for a self driving leg. Fly from Argentina to Hamburg area for tasks and pitstop.......then drive to the WWI battlefields for tasks and pitstop.......then drive to Paris and fly to Seychelles.

Also if only two legs in Europe, that would be the 4th/5th eliminations and easy to fly the two European eliminatins to Mexico for Elimination Station. If there are 3 European legs, then the 6th eliminated team goes around the world as decoys and, to me, seems to go against the saving money theme of latest races. Just spec.
Matthew 7:15

Offline River

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #791 on: January 21, 2010, 04:40:09 PM »
Hamburg to Paris looks great for a self driving leg. Fly from Argentina to Hamburg area for tasks and pitstop.......then drive to the WWI battlefields for tasks and pitstop.......then drive to Paris and fly to Seychelles.

Also if only two legs in Europe, that would be the 4th/5th eliminations and easy to fly the two European eliminatins to Mexico for Elimination Station. If there are 3 European legs, then the 6th eliminated team goes around the world as decoys and, to me, seems to go against the saving money theme of latest races. Just spec.
I don't think TAR will have big self-driving anymore.
If I am correct, Hamburg is 463 miles from Paris...
 :(

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #792 on: January 21, 2010, 04:43:59 PM »
5 hours is nothing in Europe, they drive FAST. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #793 on: January 21, 2010, 05:22:38 PM »
5 hours is nothing in Europe, they drive FAST. :lol:

Has anybody considered the possibility of a second leg in Germany? From Frankfort, they could easily swing into France.
Otherwise, TAR's going to take the plane.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:30:31 PM by Caelestor »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #794 on: January 21, 2010, 05:51:20 PM »
They have fast trains in Europe for a reason; thry're faster for those short distances.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #795 on: January 21, 2010, 06:02:07 PM »
They have fast trains in Europe for a reason; thry're faster for those short distances.

Hamburg to Paris isn't a one-seat ride, though. There's going to be transfers.
Of course, an intermediate leg would fix this. Furthermore, I don't even think the France leg is in Paris, more along a major city in the eastern countryside.

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #796 on: January 21, 2010, 06:32:37 PM »
puclic tranport the amazing race as budget cut back nother thought they will do that i came with for season 3 of my show thank season 16 it thay why team spot in train statoin

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #797 on: January 21, 2010, 06:57:17 PM »
The Beatlemania museum opened its doors in Hamburg in May 2009.
"I wish the world was flat like the old days, and I could travel just by folding a map."

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #798 on: January 21, 2010, 07:29:21 PM »
ooh great find Rich!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #799 on: January 21, 2010, 07:40:40 PM »
Seems they always self drive in Germany.....

Two battles not mentioned so far......Belleau Wood and Chateau-Theirry. Both of these are only about 40-50 miles from Paris on the highway to Metz......this would give it a decidedly American slant though.
Matthew 7:15