Author Topic: Speculation on TAR16 *no wish-lists please*  (Read 277618 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: Speculation on TAR16 *no wish-lists please*
« Reply #700 on: January 09, 2010, 10:01:59 PM »

Oh, TAR can do TBCs any time they want. I just can't see them doing one that has a flight in the middle of the leg, as that can post a problem for the production and Phil's filming schedule.

TAR 9 TBC leg did in fact involve an international flight mid-leg. Teams had to fly out of Moscow (Red Square) to Germany and rach the BMW test track. True, it was the longest leg in TAR history in both distance and duration, but nonetheless TPTB did it.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #701 on: January 10, 2010, 06:45:57 AM »

Oh, TAR can do TBCs any time they want. I just can't see them doing one that has a flight in the middle of the leg, as that can post a problem for the production and Phil's filming schedule.

TAR 9 TBC leg did in fact involve an international flight mid-leg. Teams had to fly out of Moscow (Red Square) to Germany and rach the BMW test track. True, it was the longest leg in TAR history in both distance and duration, but nonetheless TPTB did it.

And also the one in TAR10 (Madagascar - Finland - Ukraine) which I assume to be the second longest leg (although teams did not see Phil halfway through this one).
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #702 on: January 10, 2010, 02:54:52 PM »
I wonder how they managed to get Phil to the pit stop mat before the racers, then.

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #703 on: January 10, 2010, 03:47:49 PM »
Indonesia is NOT currently on the US State Dept list of travel warnings and alerts: (But Kenya, Tanzania, and Zanzibar are...)

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html

Different list here in Australia. We have a threat level thing too. http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/reconsider.html

Not sure why you would want them to visit Bali anyway, its just full of drunken bogan Australian hoiliday makers (or Rednecks in US terms.)
"I wish the world was flat like the old days, and I could travel just by folding a map."

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #704 on: January 10, 2010, 03:51:48 PM »
What about Montenegro? It's not on the list of "dangerous" countries, but is it also involved in the Serbia/Kosovo dispute?
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #705 on: January 10, 2010, 06:02:08 PM »
What about Montenegro? It's not on the list of "dangerous" countries, but is it also involved in the Serbia/Kosovo dispute?

Hooky, I can't claim to be an expert in the politics of Montenegro's relationship with Kosovo, but I can provide basic publicly available information relevant to your question:

Kosovan–Montenegrin relations are foreign relations between Kosovo and Montenegro. Kosovo declared its independence from Serbia on 17 February 2008 and Montenegro recognized it on 9 October 2008. Montenegro has about 10,000 displaced people from Kosovo, a thousand of whom would like to return to their hometowns. It is up to the governments of Kosovo and Montenegro to resolve it.

Offline valor boreal

• RFF Jr. Member
  • OS Race Fan
« Reply #706 on: January 11, 2010, 06:49:07 AM »
I wonder how they managed to get Phil to the pit stop mat before the racers, then.
They had a 36 hour pit stop following the end of stage 2, followed by a bus trip. This would have given Phil a fair head start on the racers. Once they got to Germany, they had a decent sized self-drive as well.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #707 on: January 11, 2010, 08:21:21 AM »
They had a 36 hour pit stop following the end of stage 2, followed by a bus trip. This would have given Phil a fair head start on the racers. Once they got to Germany, they had a decent sized self-drive as well.

A self drive in Germany? Great! Do you have any more information about that? Or what else they do in Germany? From what we've been able to find so far, we aren't even sure if they went to Germany, so any details would be greatly appreciated.

Plaidmoon

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #708 on: January 11, 2010, 10:18:13 AM »
 :groan:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #709 on: January 11, 2010, 11:01:10 AM »

A self drive in Germany? Great! Do you have any more information about that? Or what else they do in Germany? From what we've been able to find so far, we aren't even sure if they went to Germany, so any details would be greatly appreciated.

Plaidmoon

I doubt they went to Germany this cycle. I have noticed that teams often self-drive when they visit that country, though.

DavidJunior

« Reply #710 on: January 11, 2010, 03:35:52 PM »

Plaidmoon

:lol: i think they were talking about the TBC in Season 9...

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #711 on: January 11, 2010, 04:49:13 PM »

Plaidmoon

:lol: i think they were talking about the TBC in Season 9...

And that is why puddin says "read the thread!" :lol3:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #712 on: January 11, 2010, 06:27:20 PM »
Thats why puddin has just about given up  :lol:  :colors  :colors  ^^^^^^^^

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #713 on: January 11, 2010, 10:46:22 PM »
Thats why puddin has just about given up  :lol:  :colors  :colors  ^^^^^^^^

OK, my mistake.  :ascared  I didn't read back to the top of the page and realize we were speculating about TAR 9 in the TAR 16 speculation thread.  :tup:

Plaidmoon

Offline valor boreal

• RFF Jr. Member
  • OS Race Fan
« Reply #714 on: January 12, 2010, 03:52:34 AM »
Oh dear, what have I done?

First I spark the discussion on Nueva Germania (which I'd edited out of my post after thinking it was too improbable) and then a discussion on the logistics of the TAR9 uberleg leads to at least one poster getting thoroughly confused.

In making this post, I have to add something to the TAR16 speculaiton, otherwise it would be essentially redundant.

If our Paraguay spoiler is correct (and if the flight schedules haven't changed in the past 2 months, there was a flight to Montevideo not long after the relevant Twitter posts were made), the racers would have probably been flying in from either Buenos Aires or Montevideo (or possibly Santa Cruz or Curitiba), but the date would have meant that they were already up to stage 5 or 6. Previously, there have never been more than 4 South American stages (3 if you leave out the Romber seasons) which would indicate that the spoiler was fake, but with no other firm spoilers between Bariloche and SE Asia (was there an airport sighting in Dubai?) and the fact that they didn't leave Asia until stage 7 in TAR15, maybe we can't completely discount the chance of production people actually being in the Asuncion airport.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #715 on: January 12, 2010, 07:47:33 AM »

First I spark the discussion on Nueva Germania (which I'd edited out of my post after thinking it was too improbable)

I wouldn't discount this...it might be correct! Germany itself for a leg is bothering me :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #716 on: January 12, 2010, 08:08:54 AM »

First I spark the discussion on Nueva Germania (which I'd edited out of my post after thinking it was too improbable) and then a discussion on the logistics of the TAR9 uberleg leads to at least one poster getting thoroughly confused.

In making this post, I have to add something to the TAR16 speculaiton, otherwise it would be essentially redundant.

If our Paraguay spoiler is correct (and if the flight schedules haven't changed in the past 2 months, there was a flight to Montevideo not long after the relevant Twitter posts were made), the racers would have probably been flying in from either Buenos Aires or Montevideo (or possibly Santa Cruz or Curitiba), but the date would have meant that they were already up to stage 5 or 6. Previously, there have never been more than 4 South American stages (3 if you leave out the Romber seasons) which would indicate that the spoiler was fake, but with no other firm spoilers between Bariloche and SE Asia (was there an airport sighting in Dubai?) and the fact that they didn't leave Asia until stage 7 in TAR15, maybe we can't completely discount the chance of production people actually being in the Asuncion airport.

Valor boreal,
Your assumption that there is a limit to the number of South American legs is open to question. The fact that there were 4 legs plus a 24 hour bus ride through Argentina in AR5 and 4 legs plus a series of plane flights from Ushuaia Argentina to Sao Paulo Brazil before crossing the Atlantic in AR11 does not mean that there will never be more than 4 South American legs in an Amazing Race.

If you had observed the commentary here on RFF in seasons 1 through 11 you would have assumed (incorrectly) that the Amazing Race finish would never be out of the lower 48 states. Finish Lines in Alaska for AR12 and Hawaii for AR14 proved those limits illusory. The same is more likely than not for the maximum number of South American legs some time in the history of the Amazing Race. Is AR14 going to be the time that breaks precedent? It certainly looks like it to me.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 08:14:14 AM by apskip »

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #717 on: January 12, 2010, 08:47:58 AM »

The Nueva Germania thing sounded good to me too - leave no stone unturned!
This is complete speculation - but perhaps we had South America for 3 legs - an Antarctic leg or 2 and then back to South America - Paraguay for 1 more leg? Unfortunately, penguins don't use twitter so its hard to confirm anything.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #718 on: January 12, 2010, 09:21:46 AM »
I had worked out all the logistics for Antarctica for AllStars, thinking surely they would hit there? Alas, not to be. And in actuality, the weather is very unpredictable...people often have to wait days for a break to get in...so with this season rushing to get home before Christmas, I doubt they would have tried. But I am SO ready if they did!! :yess:

Really, I think we have our SA documented legs and then off to Africa next (spec). We still need our cost cutting double leg around there too...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline valor boreal

• RFF Jr. Member
  • OS Race Fan
« Reply #719 on: January 12, 2010, 10:49:52 PM »
This is complete speculation - but perhaps we had South America for 3 legs - an Antarctic leg or 2 and then back to South America - Paraguay for 1 more leg? Unfortunately, penguins don't use twitter so its hard to confirm anything.
I can't see Antarctica happening, but what about the Falkland Islands?

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #720 on: January 13, 2010, 04:33:54 AM »
This is looking like the route now, right? Correct me if there is anything wrong please.

Leg 1: USA - Chile
Leg 2: Chile
Leg 3: Chile - Argentina
Leg 4: Maybe Argentina #2
Leg 5: Argentina/Another Location - Paraguay
Leg 6: Paraguay - Unknown (I'm thinking a European city with a major airport, e.g. London, Paris or FRANKFURT!!! with connections to Djibouti, Djibouti. There has to be either a Europe or Oceania leg, so this could make sense)
Leg 7: Unknown - Djibouti
Leg 8: Djibouti - Malaysia
Leg 9: Malaysia
Leg 10: Malaysia - Singapore
Leg 11: Singapore - China
Leg 12: China - USA

Any suggestions/corrections? :duno:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #721 on: January 13, 2010, 06:18:23 AM »
Leg 4: Argentina #2
Leg 5: Argentina - Paraguay
Leg 6: Paraguay - Germany
Leg 7: Germany- Djibouti

Wiki says they when to Germany after S.America, we don't know if there are 12 legs, but this should be it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 06:22:34 AM by redskevin88 »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #722 on: January 13, 2010, 10:51:20 AM »
Leg 4: Argentina #2
Leg 5: Argentina - Paraguay
Leg 6: Paraguay - Germany
Leg 7: Germany- Djibouti

Wiki says they when to Germany after S.America, we don't know if there are 12 legs, but this should be it.

Do you really believe that Wikipedia knows more than we do here?
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #723 on: January 13, 2010, 10:56:41 AM »
I think Germany is very much in question.

I would like to hope for a second African leg IF Dijinbouti turns out to be correct, but that is a hope not a spoiler, lol.

There has to be either a Europe or Oceania leg, so this could make sense
???  Not necesasarily.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #724 on: January 13, 2010, 01:48:50 PM »

There has to be either a Europe or Oceania leg, so this could make sense
???  Not necesasarily.

Well, if there really ARE going to be 5 continents, then (barring the possibility of Antarctica) those are the only two continents Leg 6 could take place in.