Author Topic: Speculation on TAR16 *no wish-lists please*  (Read 277666 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Speculation on TAR16 *no wish-lists please*
« Reply #550 on: December 17, 2009, 09:38:57 PM »
ltvols is right, they wear sportswear ie Nike and slacks/khaki's where they can zip off the legs dealios and I believe that even when the racers get an extended pitstop they keep their fannypak with them at all times, their passports and such.

Offline Xarles

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #551 on: December 17, 2009, 10:15:53 PM »
Speculating on the gap between Bariloche, Argentina and Malaysia/Singapore: There were probable sightings in both Asuncion, Paraguay and Sao Paulo, Brazil. None of those cities, Bariloche, Asuncion and Sao Paulo, are far from Buenos Aires, Argentina. Checking on Buenos Aires Ezeiza Airport (EZE) I found out Malaysia Airlines (MAS/MH) flies from there to Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Malaysia and even offers a connecting flight to Kota Kinabalu (BKI) from EZE on Wednesdays and Sundays. As teams were previously surprised with a Bolivia-New Zealand leg, this one seems like a more exotic one. Lets suppose they were in either Asuncion/Sao Paulo/Buenos Aires and then were asked to go to Kota Kinabalu! Easy: Malaysia Airlines flight MH202 departed EZE at a very confy time: 21:45 on Wednesday December 9th and after stopping in Cape Town & Johannesburg (both in South Africa) they arrived in KUL at 06:20 on December 11th just in time to connect with flght MH2604 departing KUL at 07:30 arriving BKI at 10:05. This may have put the teams in Malaysia on December 11 early morning without any other legs having been run in either Europe or Africa.
Malaysia Airlines departed Buenos Aires on the following dates:
December Sun 06 Wed 09 Sun 13
Arrived in Kuala Lumpur:
December Tue 08 Fri 11 Tue 15
Malaysia Airlines
Buenos Aires (EZE) To Kuala Lumpur (KUL)
Wed & Sun 21:45 06:20+2days MH202 Boeing 747-400 2 STOPS

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #552 on: December 17, 2009, 10:29:42 PM »
interesting. But let's remember that the kota kinabalu spec began with a post that almost certainly referred to a someone saying she was running her own amazing race as she did all her errands. :groan:

I think we need Africa and maybe even Australia in there. I am keeping the faith.  :xmas49

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Xarles

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #553 on: December 17, 2009, 10:33:19 PM »
the kota kinabalu spec began with a post that almost certainly referred to a someone saying she was running her own amazing race

I agree with you, but this would put Phil on the right time at Penang, Malaysia, next door country to Singapore, directly out of South America.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #554 on: December 17, 2009, 10:43:58 PM »
I think you come out short on some legs though, but really, we don't know so spec away!

We also have 5 continents per Macaroons. ;)
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #555 on: December 17, 2009, 10:51:32 PM »
I think you come out short on some legs though, but really, we don't know so spec away!

We also have 5 continents per Macaroons. ;)

Speculating here:

If there are five continents, unless they go to Antarctica, they have to choose 5 of the following 6:

Oceania
Asia
Europe
Africa
North America
South America

Obviously they started in North America. They were sighted in South America and in Asia. Which means that two out of Oceania, Europe and Africa must also be selected.

So I think they either went NA -> SA -> Africa -> Oceania -> Asia -> NA OR they did NA -> SA -> Europe/Africa -> Africa/Europe -> Asia -> NA

Just speculating, but I hope this makes some sense. :cmas5
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Xarles

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #556 on: December 17, 2009, 11:12:07 PM »
I think you come out short on some legs though,
I hope this makes some sense.

It makes good sense. Couldn't they have been in South Africa for the Soccer World Cup Final Draw on Dec 04 just right after Bariloche (or just right after) as the Argentina-Malaysia flight stops right in Cape Town & Johannesburg? Do we have anyone in South Africa?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #557 on: December 17, 2009, 11:13:12 PM »
A question, if Phil was in Penang airport (which Google Maps tells me is on the Malay Penisula near the border with Thailand) and if teams have since been seen in Singapore, then how (or even better, why) would production have Phil in that airport? Wouldn't teams have used Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur to get there? or have a leg or two in or near either of those place on the way?

Also, that flight info mentioning a connection or stop in South Africa could also indicate a way for teams to do a leg or two there on the way to Singapore and Malaysia.

Just throwing that out there for contemplation, folks.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #558 on: December 17, 2009, 11:42:41 PM »
No sightings in Jo-burg but there has been a lot of vague stuff about it. NOT enough to confirm anything, but enough for me to take notice.

And if Phil had come in from wherever (Australia, Auckland in particular does fit) possibly via Bangkok or Singapore, did a leg in the Penang area, and then was waiting for a flight to Singapore (evening of the 14th), shoots standups on the 15th, and then racers arrive on the 16th....then bingo. Does seem to imply an extended pitstop in the Penang area though.

Really, Penang is not a hub, most of the flights are to and from Singapore and KL. There is no good reason for him to be transiting there that I can see...which implies a leg to me. Always assuming there is not another identical McDonalds somewhere in the world.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Izad

• " spoiler extraordinaire "
  • RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #559 on: December 18, 2009, 03:36:17 AM »
Really, Penang is not a hub, most of the flights are to and from Singapore and KL. There is no good reason for him to be transiting there that I can see...which implies a leg to me. Always assuming there is not another identical McDonalds somewhere in the world.

Urghh McPhilgate FTL   :groan:

IF he really WAS in Penang, peach may be right. Even though it's listed as Penang International Airport, it's not really a hub, and could possibly mean they had a leg there.  Flights to/from that airport are mostly local flights, and the regional flights would be ones to/from Singapore, Bangkok, Phuket, Taipei, Hong Kong and certain parts of Indonesia.

Offline Macaroons

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #560 on: December 18, 2009, 08:21:28 AM »
This is *speculation* based on some loose timeline info, but I think these were possibly the flights used by the teams to get from Penang to Singapore:

1) JETSTAR AIRWAYS 674
Departed PEN at 9:25 AM, Wednesday, Dec. 16
Arrived SIN at 10:49 (sched. 10:45) AM, Wednesday, Dec. 16

2) AIRASIA 5801
Departed PEN at 9:40 AM, Wednesday, Dec. 16
Arrived SIN at 10:59 (sched. 10:50) AM, Wednesday, Dec. 16

This also fits with the sightings of teams completing tasks in Singapore around noon.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #561 on: December 18, 2009, 03:02:18 PM »
Never thought of this before, but it is possible to fly direct from certain parts of Africa to Australia. Do you think TAR went Africa -> Australia -> Asia?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #562 on: December 18, 2009, 03:07:22 PM »
Via Frankfurt?? :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #563 on: December 18, 2009, 03:31:10 PM »
Via Frankfurt?? :lol:

Possibly, Frankfurt is a major European hub after London, Paris, Amsterdam, and Copenhagen.
Maybe the report from Germany is that it's just a transit point.

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #564 on: December 18, 2009, 03:41:17 PM »
Never thought of this before, but it is possible to fly direct from certain parts of Africa to Australia. Do you think TAR went Africa -> Australia -> Asia?

The only direct flights from Africa are from Jo-berg to Perth and Sydney. Another option is Emirates who have flights to Dubai from quite a few African destinations then you can pretty much from to anywhere from Dubai including Australia and Asia.
"I wish the world was flat like the old days, and I could travel just by folding a map."

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #565 on: December 18, 2009, 04:36:13 PM »
the teams never wear jeans while racing b/c many tasks prevent that type of clothing.  They wear mostly comfortable running clothes and/or production provided clothing (thoughts of the globetrotters in dutch dresses running through my head right now)

TY...That image was a riot...

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #566 on: December 18, 2009, 05:11:59 PM »
Speculating on the gap between Bariloche, Argentina and Malaysia/Singapore: There were probable sightings in both Asuncion, Paraguay and Sao Paulo, Brazil. None of those cities, Bariloche, Asuncion and Sao Paulo, are far from Buenos Aires, Argentina. Checking on Buenos Aires Ezeiza Airport (EZE) I found out Malaysia Airlines (MAS/MH) flies from there to Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Malaysia and even offers a connecting flight to Kota Kinabalu (BKI) from EZE on Wednesdays and Sundays. As teams were previously surprised with a Bolivia-New Zealand leg, this one seems like a more exotic one. Lets suppose they were in either Asuncion/Sao Paulo/Buenos Aires and then were asked to go to Kota Kinabalu! Easy: Malaysia Airlines flight MH202 departed EZE at a very confy time: 21:45 on Wednesday December 9th and after stopping in Cape Town & Johannesburg (both in South Africa) they arrived in KUL at 06:20 on December 11th just in time to connect with flght MH2604 departing KUL at 07:30 arriving BKI at 10:05. This may have put the teams in Malaysia on December 11 early morning without any other legs having been run in either Europe or Africa.
Arrived in Kuala Lumpur:
Malaysia Airlines

Yuck. I certainly hope they wouldn't do that. That would be an even shorter course than TAR 15!

But if Macaroons has the right info (5 continents), I am rejoicing right now.

I would speculate that it went like this:

North America (Starting Line)
South America
Europe
Africa
Asia (Singapore area)
North America

But I REALLY want to see Oceania visited again!
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #567 on: December 18, 2009, 05:45:28 PM »
Arrived in Kuala Lumpur:
Malaysia Airlines

Yuck. I certainly hope they wouldn't do that. That would be an even shorter course than TAR 15!

But if Macaroons has the right info (5 continents), I am rejoicing right now.

I would speculate that it went like this:

North America (Starting Line)
South America
Europe
Africa
Asia (Singapore area)
North America

But I REALLY want to see Oceania visited again!

We all love 6-continent races.  :kisses However, I doubt it happened this season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Oceania wasn't visited this season. Let's look at continent/regional visits season-wise.

Asia: all of them
Europe: all of them except 2
Africa: 1-3, 5-7, 10-12, hopefully 16
Middle East: 5,9,15 (bit sparse here)
South America: 2,5,7,9,11,13,16 (about every other season)
Oceania: 2,4,5,9,13 (so the next visit should be due in 17)
North America besides USA: 3,5,7,8 (yeah that sucks huh?)

As you can see TAR follows a pattern if we ignore the routes of 14-15.

Let's go even further while we're at it.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #568 on: December 18, 2009, 05:58:11 PM »
^Whoa, Caelestor, thanks for that! I didn't notice that there was a pattern.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #569 on: December 18, 2009, 05:59:52 PM »
We've never seen this pattern (and I know its not happening this season) but it would be an interesting one for sure.

North America (east coast start) --> Europe --> Africa --> South America --> Oceania and/or Asia --> North America (west coast/central finish).

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #570 on: December 18, 2009, 06:02:25 PM »
We've never seen this pattern (and I know its not happening this season) but it would be an interesting one for sure.

North America (east coast start) --> Europe --> Africa --> South America --> Oceania and/or Asia --> North America (west coast/central finish).

Although that would raise the ire of many TARfans (they didn't circumnavigate the world!), I really like that route. It also centers the world on the Americas.
Unfortunately, TAR also has a pattern that South America, since costs are cheaper there, must be visited first in any season.

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #571 on: December 18, 2009, 06:08:45 PM »

Although that would raise the ire of many TARfans (they didn't circumnavigate the world!), I really like that route. It also centers the world on the Americas.
Unfortunately, TAR also has a pattern that South America, since costs are cheaper there, must be visited first in any season.

Yeah, its not probable, but would be cool to see.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #572 on: December 18, 2009, 06:21:37 PM »
Some more patterns!

Start line/First country:

NYC/Zambia (S. Africa does not count)
LV/Brazil
Miami/Mexico
LA/Italy
LA/Uruguay
Chicago/Iceland
LA/Peru
FE doesn't count
Denver/Brazil
Seattle/China
Miami/Ecuador

All starting lines are now in LA  :cmas15

Ireland
Brazil
Switzerland
Japan
Chile

So, only TAR 1 began in Africa. TARs 4,6,12,14 started in Europe, while TAR 10/15 started in Asia. The rest had their first destination in SA, with the exception of TAR 3 in NA.

Finish line locations:
NYC
SF
Seattle
Phoenix
Dallas
Chicago
Miami
once again 8 doesn't count
Denver
NYC
SF (here's where it gets interesting)
Alaska
Portland
Hawaii
Las Vegas

So, we may be possibly due for a final city not in the continental US. Saipan's a pretty nice place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saipan
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 06:26:28 PM by Caelestor »

Offline ltvols

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #573 on: December 18, 2009, 07:38:28 PM »
I've never missed a season of TAR - it's my absolute fav.....I've lurked here for a few seasons.   The finish line list is quite impressive!  I guess I never paid that much attention before but I'm quite impressed that other than NYC and SF, they've chosen different cities for each season!   Simple things intrigue me I suppose.

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #574 on: December 18, 2009, 09:37:16 PM »
I've never missed a seson of TAR either.  I'm a newby here, and have been lurking for a few weeks.  I have tried to understand how so many people can post about absolutely nothing. After reading the post here, I have very little information about TAR 16.  I guess this is good entertainment for some, but is there ever any reliable information on how the race is progressing?  My guess is that the race is over by now, and we still don't have any concrete information other than the fact that Jeff & Jordan were in the race.   

The reason you probably haven't found any real information in this thread is its the "Speculation" thread. There are other threads that are based on destinations and confirmed sightings/tweets that should have more real information.