Author Topic: Speculation on TAR16 *no wish-lists please*  (Read 278552 times)

Offline TARandJJFan

• RFF Not So Newbie
Re: Speculation on TAR16 *no wish-lists please*
« Reply #225 on: December 08, 2009, 12:18:01 PM »
I realize a lot of people don't like the idea of them spending so much time in one place. But, since they did it in TAR 7 with Rob/Amber's first season, it's definitely possible. Just because you don't want something to be true doesn't mean that it isn't.  :duno:

Oh thanks I wasn't aware of this.

Just wanted to clarify that I was responding to those questioning whether they were really in Paraguay or not. I know that most people know that it is definitely possible that the Paraguay information is correct.  :tup:

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #226 on: December 08, 2009, 12:22:21 PM »
Actually, all of the Parguay info seems to have come from a "Porteņo" which means a Buenos Aires local.  So the sighting of junker cars with TAR flags could easily have been in Argentina and not in Paraguay.  The person in Paraguay was hoping to see teams at the airport, but didn't.

In addition, the Buenos Aires sighting could have been related to the local race that we have pictures of.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #227 on: December 08, 2009, 04:19:40 PM »
I realize a lot of people don't like the idea of them spending so much time in one place. But, since they did it in TAR 7 with Rob/Amber's first season, it's definitely possible. Just because you don't want something to be true doesn't mean that it isn't.  :duno:

Oh thanks I wasn't aware of this.

Just wanted to clarify that I was responding to those questioning whether they were really in Paraguay or not. I know that most people know that it is definitely possible that the Paraguay information is correct.  :tup:

Actually, in the two Romber seasons, TAR7 and TAR11, they spent 4 legs in South America. In no other TAR did they spend more than 3 legs in South America. The fact that a Paraguay leg on the time the tweeter posted would most likely mean this is the 5th leg in this race, makes its highly suspect to me. That doesn't mean it isnt happening, just makes it strange.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 04:22:57 PM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

DavidJunior

« Reply #228 on: December 08, 2009, 04:51:28 PM »
I'm wondering...

did the paper actually say that Germany was the NEXT location?

or just that they'll be heading to Germany later on?

a vague statement like "going to Germany after Bariloche" could easily mean that Germany will host a later leg, but also could be easily misconstrued into making it sound like it's the very next leg, as some people were thinking

Offline kyla

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #229 on: December 08, 2009, 05:04:23 PM »
I'm wondering...

a vague statement like "going to Germany after Bariloche" could easily mean that Germany will host a later leg, but also could be easily misconstrued into making it sound like it's the very next leg, as some people were thinking
Here's the LINK and the translation:

The Amazing Race recorded a stage in San Carlos de Bariloche, before continuing in Germany.

Sounds like they're saying that's where they went once they left Bariloche. I doubt they could find out info that the racers themselves didn't know yet, like where they would be going in a few legs.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 05:11:54 PM by kyla »

DavidJunior

« Reply #230 on: December 08, 2009, 06:35:21 PM »
I'm wondering...

Here's the LINK and the translation:

The Amazing Race recorded a stage in San Carlos de Bariloche, before continuing in Germany.

Sounds like they're saying that's where they went once they left Bariloche. I doubt they could find out info that the racers themselves didn't know yet, like where they would be going in a few legs.

it might not have been the racers they talked to

production staff could very well know where the teams are going for the entire race, and maybe when they were asked, Germany was the first location that came to mind

but i'm kinda picking at straws... i guess we'll just have to wait until the next tweet or photos come in...

Offline Seattlite

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #231 on: December 08, 2009, 06:41:31 PM »
I would think that if they were in Germany we would have more sightings already.  Perhaps they are somewhere much more remote.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #232 on: December 08, 2009, 08:21:04 PM »
Slowhatch posted this

It might refer to some German commune/district/local hangout. Germans are all over the Lake District (not those Germans--descendants of these Germans). Almost every town in the region has a Club Aleman or something similar.
And the Rio/Estancio mention might refer to the same place/task: they seem to be situated together.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #233 on: December 09, 2009, 12:18:37 AM »
Just wondering, does the article mention what city in Germany they are 'allegedly' headed to?
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #234 on: December 09, 2009, 02:28:59 AM »
No, just Germany.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Seattlite

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #235 on: December 09, 2009, 08:25:18 AM »
Around this time in AR 7 they headed to South Africa followed by India. Both countries have had less spoilers then when they were seen around Europe. It would make more sense that they were on there way to Germany (this would be info the crew would know), but a little later.

Offline Polarbear

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #236 on: December 09, 2009, 09:15:30 AM »
Don`t know if I should "steal" Puddins work, so tell me if I shouldn`t have:) She hasn`t been on twitter for a long time so I thought I shoud mention it.

http://twitter.com/d0cc0l

@PuddinRFF a friend told me they were in Asuncion on Dec 7th.The catch a TAM flight towards Sao Paulo, Brazil..may be a connecting flight
about 2 hours ago from web in reply to PuddinRFF
---------
So maybe the sighting we had from the person flying to Uruguay was the crew waiting for the teams to travel FROM Paraguay (after the pitstop). If they were heading for Sao Paulo they could have taken a connecting flight from there as d0cc0l mentions...I`ll leave the flight-research to someone else. I don`t know how.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #237 on: December 09, 2009, 10:35:31 AM »
Polarbear,
You have a fascinating hypothesis. Unfortunately the flights from Asuncion to Sao Paulo do not support it. Here is the list of weekday flights from ASU to GRU:

PZ710 0510 0815 nonstop
PZ706 dep. 1050  change in AGT (Ciudade del Este) with a 20 minute?? connect time, arr. GRU 1430
PZ753 dep. 0920  change MVD (Montevideo), arr. GRU 1510
G37471 dep. 1625 change CWB (Curitibia) arr. 2030
PZ712 1800 2100 nonstop

There are others connecting in Beunos Aires but none that fill a gap in the schedule above. The nonstop flights are offered 7 days a week. I expect the others are also, but I have not taken the time to prove it for Dec. 5 and Dec. 6.

My conclusion from the above is that only one connection is through Montevideo and that one is dominated by a flight connection leaving later and arriving earlier, so why would any team book it?

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #238 on: December 09, 2009, 10:44:35 AM »
My conclusion from the above is that only one connection is through Montevideo and that one is dominated by a flight connection leaving later and arriving earlier, so why would any team book it?

Because production told them to so they could get a leveller. We've seen it before.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #239 on: December 09, 2009, 08:09:28 PM »
Alright, who edited the wiki again?  :groan: Oh well, I love speculating anyway!  :-[

It claims that after Paraguay (the 4th Leg, yeah right), Angola is visited for 2 legs, then South Africa, Seychelles, Malaysia, Australia (2 legs). No Europe  :jam:

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #240 on: December 09, 2009, 09:23:15 PM »
for Gods sakes please stop the madness  :groan:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 09:33:09 PM by puddin »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #241 on: December 09, 2009, 10:14:17 PM »
Actually. my suspicion has been that this Race would be South America, Africa and Oceania/Oz/NZ.  I think it'll take more than 21 days, but given how heavy the last two Races have been with Europe and Asia, these three continents/areas were due.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #242 on: December 10, 2009, 12:50:24 AM »
Actually. my suspicion has been that this Race would be South America, Africa and Oceania/Oz/NZ.  I think it'll take more than 21 days, but given how heavy the last two Races have been with Europe and Asia, these three continents/areas were due.

Yes, but lately it doesn't seem like they have been trying too hard to balance the frequency of the locales they visit. I think there will still be at least one of both Europe and Asia, although if they are going to Australia (continent), that is a lot of continents for one race. We'll see which of the two evils (fewer continents or the mandatory Europe/Asia visit) wins in the end. :lol:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #243 on: December 10, 2009, 01:30:14 AM »

Yes, but lately it doesn't seem like they have been trying too hard to balance the frequency of the locales they visit. I think there will still be at least one of both Europe and Asia, although if they are going to Australia (continent), that is a lot of continents for one race. We'll see which of the two evils (fewer continents or the mandatory Europe/Asia visit) wins in the end. :lol:

It's not bad that they visit Europe and Asia; it's bad that they're recycling places and making mediocre tasks. TAR has exhausted most of Asia, Europe, and S. America. If there was less violence there, the race should definitely spend at least 3 legs in Africa.

DavidJunior

« Reply #244 on: December 10, 2009, 01:42:08 AM »

It's not bad that they visit Europe and Asia; it's bad that they're recycling places and making mediocre tasks. TAR has exhausted most of Asia, Europe, and S. America. If there was less violence there, the race should definitely spend at least 3 legs in Africa.

the thing is, there are plenty of places throughout Africa that are at least relatively safe (much of the smaller West African countries, Cameroon, Congo, Gabon, South Africa could definitely use another visit, same with Egypt, etc.)

but the same could go for Europe, Asia, and even South America... (i mean if Colombia is safe enough for another version, why isn't safe enough for us?!)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #245 on: December 10, 2009, 10:32:09 AM »
The fact that regional versions can film in some of these countries doesn't mean it is safe for Americans to travel there, must less Americans with film crews; they'd be seen as targets. TPTB have rarely gone into a country that has safety risks for American travelers (Sri Lanka in 2005 in particular because of the Tamil Tigers rebellion, but the teams stayed on the opposite coast of the island during filming, and teams weren't moving around at night.)

There are a couple of patterns that I think are influencing how the course routes are being laid out. It's clear TPTB are trying to reduce costs by having one or two fewer legs, and by having two legs in the same area before mvoing on, and by using several counties in the same area; in addition, they are using a few long flights so there is a race course that crosses the Equator as little as possible. We know there are flights out of South America that do not require travel to the northern hemisphere that will get the teams to Africa and Oceania/Oz/NZ, and I'm still of the opinion that is why we've haven't had much in the confirmed spoiler tweets/blogs /photos. I also don't think a TAR 7 course is likely either (go to India and then return to North America from Europe without a true circumnavigation of the globe.)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:32:30 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #246 on: December 10, 2009, 11:05:26 AM »
It's clear TPTB are trying to reduce costs by having one or two fewer legs, and by having two legs in the same area before mvoing on, qnd by using several counties in the same area

For starters, the best advice for TPTB as a whole in terms of cutting costs I could give would be do away with crap-ass new shows that won't/haven't lasted anywhere near a year anyway (3 Rivers, Kid Nation, Viva Laughlin, etc).  That, and do away with the Speed Bump (or keep it but go back to not having a RB on Leg 1 while omitting another one or a detour later in the race).

Obviously, it's a combination of things that have led to the recent course routes over the years.  As mentioned, the risk factor is rather imperative this day and age, in addition to trying to save.  So much could be happening on the Eastern Hemisphere right now that they have to be very careful how they go about the race.  I hope they're okay; they're safety is more important than the race itself.  Unless they found a way to race sans getting noticed, or if they found a way to pick off people that might be on the lookout for something that they're about to tweet, it should be coming up soon.
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline ob-la-di-ob-la-da

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #247 on: December 10, 2009, 02:54:57 PM »
You know, theschnauzers mentioned "crossing the equator," and that got me to thinking... (and I'm new to RFF and spoilers, so I'm sorry if you guys have covered this in the past...)  It seems that during the majority of TAR episodes, the temperatures are fairly warm.  IIRC, the contestants are all bundled up for only one or two legs at the most.  Makes sense -- same reason Survivor  is always on a tropical island -- it makes better TV to see contestants in shorts and t-shirts, rather than jackets and pants.  So in trying to speculate on the TAR16 destinations, would the majority of their travel be in the southern hemisphere, where it's summer (and also near the equator)?   Has anyone here done an analysis of past TAR seasons and whether they're usually filmed wherever it's summer?

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #248 on: December 10, 2009, 03:36:56 PM »
I believe it depends on when the season is being filmed. TAR15 was filmed from July to August, which made warmer weather during the race. However, TAR14 was filmed during the end of last year. During most of the season teams wore coats untill the final few legs.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #249 on: December 10, 2009, 04:35:58 PM »
You know, theschnauzers mentioned "crossing the equator," and that got me to thinking... (and I'm new to RFF and spoilers, so I'm sorry if you guys have covered this in the past...)  It seems that during the majority of TAR episodes, the temperatures are fairly warm.  IIRC, the contestants are all bundled up for only one or two legs at the most.  Makes sense -- same reason Survivor  is always on a tropical island -- it makes better TV to see contestants in shorts and t-shirts, rather than jackets and pants.  So in trying to speculate on the TAR16 destinations, would the majority of their travel be in the southern hemisphere, where it's summer (and also near the equator)?   Has anyone here done an analysis of past TAR seasons and whether they're usually filmed wherever it's summer?

Hence, why teams will most likely avoid Europe and visit the tropics/ Southern Hemisphere (It's summer there.). I expect India, but not China this race.
Santa in shorts!