Author Topic: TAR15 EP12: "Amazing Grace, How Sweet the Sound (Las Vegas)"  (Read 123680 times)

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Re: TAR15 EP12: "Amazing Grace, How Sweet the Sound (Las Vegas)"
« Reply #250 on: December 07, 2009, 05:28:38 AM »
OMG, it's Phil!!! :hearts:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #251 on: December 07, 2009, 09:13:37 AM »
For the flight peeps

Trying to figure out the final flights. Looks to me that they flew from Prague to Heathrow on British Airways arriving around 6:30 pm on Aug 6th. Then transfer to Gatwick for flight to Las Vegas on Virgin Atlantic at approx 11 am on Aug 7. That means a rather long layover in London of about 18 hours. Arrival in Las Vegas was about 15 minutes early on Aug 7th.

Maybe someone asked them at TARcon just what they did. Thanks for the close-up, Puddin!!!

On Fancast today, M/C said the layover in London was about 12 hours and they spent it eating, sleeping and hanging out with the other teams.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 12:07:30 PM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #252 on: December 07, 2009, 11:24:12 AM »
Do you have any caps of the Shenandoah gate, Puddin? I don't remember seeing it during the episode. Mr. Newton, who let TES and TAR into his house and yard, seems very protective of his gate: there's even a blank spot in streetview coverage (go here, advance the map north one notch, and you'll wind up in...jail  :colors  ;D).

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #253 on: December 07, 2009, 11:58:17 AM »
I'm not sure what gate you mean Slowhtach  :lol:

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #254 on: December 07, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
The gate they used was at the end of the row of trees in the upper-right of that overhead shot.  The only thing we saw on the show, though, was Meghan and Cheyne's taxi entering that gate from the inside.  I don't think there was an exterior shot of that gate.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #255 on: December 07, 2009, 06:42:35 PM »
 :lol:   This may be the entrance used at the Casa de Shenandoah. ...tree lined path...going somewhere...  ;D

another view  ...note "pink" pavement ... whatever that means ???
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 06:54:45 PM by Boingo »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #256 on: December 07, 2009, 06:46:02 PM »
Boingo is back  :jumpy: :jumpy: :yess:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #257 on: December 07, 2009, 08:53:33 PM »
 :lol:  if they came in the east gate, then they went this-a-way....  ;D

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #258 on: December 08, 2009, 09:33:57 AM »
For the flight peeps

Several of these flight combinations from London to Las Vegas utilize that great airport Victoria train station (ZEP).

The huge questions are:
1. Why were all teams routed to London when there were alternate routes from Prague that would have landed them much earlier?
2. One example of that is Chateau's PRG MAD MEX LAS route, which would have arrived at 910am.

My guess is that World Race Productions wanted a late enough flight from Prague to assure that all teams could have a decent rest (from the 10 hour pit stop, which could have been more if the 3rd team arriving at the Prague II pit stop had done so earlier) and still get to the London flight on time. Once in London, they could have used AA99 connecting in Chicago with UA551 (Neobie's flight prediction, which Chateau later adopted too) arriving 28 minutes late while VS43 actually arrived 18  minutes early, which made it 15 minutes earlier than UA551. However, there would have been no way to predict that. One reason is identified in the list of flight possiblities. There was only one Y seat available for UA551 vs. 2 Y seats for VS43. Since we don't know when the list was printed and how the seats were reserved (I bet it was WRP prebooking the entire itinerary for 3 teams x 4 = 12 people months in advance) it is impossible to know what that exact situation was.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #259 on: December 08, 2009, 10:05:25 AM »
For the flight peeps

Trying to figure out the final flights. Looks to me that they flew from Prague to Heathrow on British Airways arriving around 6:30 pm on Aug 6th. Then transfer to Gatwick for flight to Las Vegas on Virgin Atlantic at approx 11 am on Aug 7. That means a rather long layover in London of about 18 hours. Arrival in Las Vegas was about 15 minutes early on Aug 7th.

Maybe someone asked them at TARcon just what they did. Thanks for the close-up, Puddin!!!

On Fancast today, M/C said the layover in London was about 12 hours and they spent it eating, sleeping and hanging out with the other teams.

BA857 arrived at Heathrow airport at 1926 (24 minutes early) on August 6. Teams flew from Gatwick airport on VS43 actually leaving on schedule at 1125 on August 6. The only way to account for a 12 hour layover is Heathrow is roughly 1 hour from downtown London by subway and Gatwick is on a major train line 27 miles south of London. If teams stayed in a Gatwick airport hotel and the 2 hours transportation(including subway and train schedules not exactly matching the minimum possible times) and  1.5 hours are taken off for clearing security and boarding, you would have close to a 12 hour layover.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #260 on: December 10, 2009, 08:49:49 AM »
Something I realized in hindsight. I posted this when everyone was still clamoring about BE quitting the RB.

On topic, I think the check in times are about:

Meghan/Cheyne 200 am
Sam/Dan 320 am (I'd say the golem task added time to them)
Brian/Ericka 600 am

And then we saw M/C leave at 11:10 am; S/D at 12:08 pm; B/E leave at 3:15 pm. Of course, B/E fairly clearly checked in during daylight, and (though I could be wrong), Prague is not in daylight at 3:15 am (and in fact, sunrise was at 6, making my guesses pretty close save for GayBros  :jam: ). Was there enough time for an extended pit stop (roughly to 33 hours?) or was it just a truncuated Pit Stop (~9 hours)?

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #261 on: December 10, 2009, 10:38:59 PM »
zackattack308,
It was clearly a 10 hour pit stop according to my estimates of when teams finished episidoe 11, which are a bit different than your estimates. My original and revisions are as follows:

Cheyne/Meghan  original 100am  revised 110am
Sam/Dan            original 230am revised  208am      
Brian/Ericka        original 500am revised  515am

I could be consistently off by one hour, making your numbers credible for a 9 hour pit stop. However, there is no possibility that Prague II was an extended pit stop. Once an extended p[it stop was taken in Estonia, the timing of the two Prague legs barely fit into arrival the morning of August 5 and departure the evening of August 6.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 09:41:22 AM by apskip »

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #262 on: December 18, 2009, 02:51:01 AM »
I just realized how small a race they ran. Since budget cuts from Season 12 onwards they have spanned in order (12,13,14,15) - 30,000 and 40,000 and 40,000 and now for Season 15 a minimal 25,000 and I think that sucks! Man I wish for a full 13 leg old school big connections, big flights TAR 3 epic self driving race. Come on bring it all back!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.