Author Topic: Best Amazing Race Eating Challenges  (Read 38467 times)

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
Best Amazing Race Eating Challenges
« on: November 16, 2009, 02:01:18 PM »
Call me a sucker for cheap entertainment, the one thing I don't tire of with the Race is watching teams throw up while eating local fare. Here are my Top 10 favorite eating challenges:

10. Korduk (Kazakhstan: Season 13, Leg 8 )
Grosser in theory than in reality, but watching Terence with the sheep's butt fat almost redeemed him for me.

9. Wasabi (Japan: Season 15, Leg 1)
Only because of the racers who had to eat it twice in a row. Their misery made me happy.

8. Cow lips (Madagascar: Season 10, Leg 8 )
Oh, Kimberley. How I underestimated your entertainment value. I picture those cow lips saying "LISTEN TO ME!"

7. Live octopus (South Korea: Season 4, Leg 10)
The plates were wiggling.

6. Pig's blood (Hungary: Season 6, Leg 6)
Unnecessary shock value, but watching Lori and Bolo down blood made me silently impressed and horrified.

5. Shuwa (Oman: Season 9, Leg 7)
They didn't eat it on camera, but I liked that they had to dig up their dinner. It made a stupid task mildly interesting.

4. Camel meat (Morocco: Season 10, Leg 11)
Grinding and eating camel is interesting. Grinding and eating sausage (Season 11) is boring.

3. Caviar (Russia: Season 5, Leg 4)
There's a big jump between #4 and #3. This is where we get into classic TAR eating territory. This is where Chip's legend was established, while beauty queens withered on the floor sweating and convulsing in the dead of night. Now that's beauty.

2. Argentinian feast (Argentina: Season 7, Leg 3)
It was good enough to have teams eat four pounds of meat. It was better that it involved kidney. It was classic that it involved udder. It was legendary that it involved salivary gland. And of course, it also is the example par excellence of task-skipping strategy.

1. Spicy soup (Hungary: Season 6, Leg 6)
It takes something really special to have two top ten eating tasks in the same episode. That something really special is throwing up in your bowl and eating it while your girlfriend weeps beside you.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
Re: Best Amazing Race Eating Challenges
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 03:22:33 PM »
Great list, woden. My personal preference would be to put the TAR5 cavier task at number one, and somewhere in there get the insect eating task from TAR9 in there, even if it was only a FF tast that only one team did.  The ostrich egg task in TAR5 was a good one too......if only for the spilling of the egg by so many racers and their frustration
Matthew 7:15

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 03:43:23 PM »
Yes, the season 9 bugs should probably be on the list. Especially with that beautiful editing moment where Ray & Yolanda are deliberating what the prescribed task - a hobby of local schoolchildren - could be and she suggests "cricket?"

Another one I liked wasn't necessarily an eating task - biting into thousands of chocolates in Argentina in season 5 was entertaining. Not as much when they re-did it with the cookies in Season 11.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 05:24:45 PM »
I can't  differentiate between them, but I think the Hungarian Spicy Soup, the Mendoza parillada and the caviar in Pushkin were all very special and should be at the top in no particular order.

I would remove 4 of your  items from your list:
1. Camel Meat, which is supposed to be jsut like a good lean burger
2. Korduk, which I can't find anything on. Since it is supposed to be an Uzbek dish at the Alana Restaurant in Almaty, I think it was really shurpa (shurva or shorva), a soup made of large pieces of fatty meat (usually mutton) and fresh vegetables. This should have been easy to eat, but a Kosher person and a vegetarian have trouble with it.
3. Pig's blood - this is no different than any other type of animal blood except the maker has to be careful about trichinosis.
4. Shuwa

I would add these:
8. AR1 - At the Hongqiao Market, teams had to buy some items that were in a list, written in Mandarin: chicken feet, beetle larvae and squid
9. AR14 - Donguamen Night Market, eat four fried Chinese delicacies: a grasshopper, larva, scorpion, and a starfish
10. AR11 - Krakow market, eat 24 inches each of sausage (corrected as a result of comments by Dr. Rox below)

That makes my top 10 list:
1/2/3. AR6 Hungarian Spicy Soup, AR7 the Mendoza parillada and AR5 the caviar in Pushkin
4. AR15 Tokyo, Wasabi Sushi
5. AR4, Korea, live octopi
6. AR9, Lop Buri, Thailand eat a bowl of fried Crickets and grasshoppers
7. AR10, Antananarivo, Madagascar, eat cows lips
8. AR1 - At the Hongqiao Market, teams had to buy some items that were in a list, written in Mandarin: chicken feet, beetle larvae and squid
9. AR14 - Donguamen Night Market, eat four fried Chinese delicacies: a grasshopper, larva, scorpion, and a starfish
10. AR11 - Krakow market, eat 24 inches each of sausage

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:21:55 PM by apskip »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 05:40:56 PM »

10. AR11 - Krakow market, eat 6 inches each of sausage

apskip,

I believe, if you get out your TAR11 dvd, you will find that each member of the intersection had to eat 24 inches of sausage. I guess this is another typo on your part, btw, and you will promptly edit to correct wrong information. 6 inches of sausage is just one bratworst.....simple to eat.

I like both lists.........different strokes for different folks.........
Matthew 7:15

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 09:19:04 PM »
Dr. Rox,
You are indeed correct. I remembered it being 24 inches for the intersected teams, which is 6 inches each. If the sausage were thick enough, that could take a while to eat. However, it was 8 feet per intersected team, 2 feet for each person.

Offline 2old4tech

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 08:39:46 AM »

"Ladies and Gentlemen...Miss California!"  Jeremy's Eric's best line in two seasons. :lol:
..and Charla :funny:

eta: my brain spaz on the name as Apskip points out below. tx
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:17:28 AM by 2old4tech »

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 09:47:47 AM »
I'd say lower the Argentina Roadblock, move the caviar higher, and octopus/sausage/camel meat <3<3<3. The camel meat roadblock was the only eating task I recall where none of the racers complained about eating it. :funny:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 09:52:59 AM »

"Ladies and Gentlemen...Miss California!"  Jeremy's best line in two seasons. :lol:
..and Charla :funny:
2old4tech,
That is a fantastic line. However, Jeremy was not racing in AR11 in Krakow. It was Eric that said it completely deadpan.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 09:57:51 AM »
It takes something really special to have two top ten eating tasks in the same episode. That something really special is throwing up in your bowl and eating it while your girlfriend weeps beside you.

REBECCA-EATING-MACHINE <333333 :hearts:

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 04:56:52 AM »

REBECCA-EATING-MACHINE <333333 :hearts:

Kendra actually being nice this leg :funny:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline spontaneousss

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Jaime & Erik for TAR 16! Best Reality Couple ever!
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 08:42:44 AM »
I have to say the meat-eating challenge in Argentina (AR7) had to be the best not because it was gross or anything (it wasn't) but because we saw a lot of quttings & drama, it was mentally challenging and it took a very long time for those who completed the roadblock..

IMO the worst ones were those done in China-- Season 1 & Season 14 because they only have to eat few..

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 01:20:55 PM »
The cow lips were it for me.
Just here to visit.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 10:20:13 AM »
They didn't eat it on camera, but I liked that they had to dig up their dinner. It made a stupid task mildly interesting.

Love the idea too!

And anyone remembered the fried insects eating FF that BJ and Tyler had to go through against MoJo? The massive vomitting made me very happy as BJ and Tyler suffered so much just for the FF. :funny:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 10:29:26 AM »
Some of my favourites and most memorable ones -

TAR 3 -
Cheese FF that JVJ had to eat through to find their clue. Hilarious that they had to eat so much cheese to unearth a clue underneath.

TAR 4 -
South Korea's octopus is epic gross. You can literally see the octopus legs get stuck and trying to crawl all around inside the racer's mouth.

TAR 5 -
Caviar + Ostrich egg = One of the best season ever with epic moments. (Both times Chip finished the Roadblock quickly and claimed first place over Colin and Christie, LOL)

TAR 6 -
Hungarian soup = Rebecca-eating-machine as mentioned and Victoria vomitting is just amazing. JONATHANNNNNN.

TAR 7 -
4 POUNDS OF MEAT ROADBLOCK is memorable because there's so much meat and it pains me to say this, but Romber getting many teams to quit with him is epic moment on TAR.

TAR 8 -
Weaver family eating Macdonalds on the Yield mat? Sorry, that wasn't a challenge. :funny:

TAR 9 -
BJ and Tyler's FF (eating a whole bowl of insects and vomitting a whole lot of them out) :lol:

TAR 10 -
COW LIPS <3
I was also tempted to say the tomatoes challenge that gave us our Kimberly melt down, until i realized they don't have to eat the tomatoes. But hey, food was involved! :funny:

TAR 13 -
The FF that Nick and Starr won, was really gross.. and frankly speaking.. one of the most exciting moment in an epic boring season.

TAR 15 -
Wasabi Sushi :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 10:30:57 AM »

Love the idea too!

And anyone remembered the fried insects eating FF that BJ and Tyler had to go through against MoJo? The massive vomitting made me very happy as BJ and Tyler suffered so much just for the FF. :funny:

EDIT: Didn't realise that people mentioned about it in the previous posts. Yep, the FF BJ and Tyler won was indeed memorable!

Offline spontaneousss

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Jaime & Erik for TAR 16! Best Reality Couple ever!
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 06:22:15 PM »
Another thing for me would be the camel milk thing in Burkina Faso.. Even though milk is more of a drink it's still memorable just because of Lorena.. "Please, Lord, Give Me Milk!"  ;D :lol:

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 06:54:56 PM »
TAR 8 -
Weaver family eating Macdonalds on the Yield mat? Sorry, that wasn't a challenge. :funny:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 10:22:26 PM »
Joab,

You did not mention the most gross part of the spicy soup incident. I recall Freddy vomiting back into his soup bowl and then having to eat it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 11:21:28 PM »
Best + Eating Challenge...isn't that an oxymoron? ???

:barf

:funny: :funny: :funny:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 11:44:52 PM »
I really dislike the eat until you have to vomit.  The race really shouldn't be about making racers violently ill.

So removing any one of those challenges that caused vomiting, I would probably go with Season 4.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 12:17:22 AM »
I also hate the challenges that force people to eat ridiculous amounts of food.

Sure, throw some foreign delicacy at them, but forcing them to keep downing food until they hurl... not cool.

That being said, my favourite was actually the eating in Season 1. With the two team race for first, and the two team race for last it was a really good challenge.

Plus: "Now we're at hooters, now we're at hooters"

If only they had title quotes in season 1...

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 07:12:46 AM »
"It's Namibia, jackass!" ftw. :funny:

Top 3 for me personally, the China delicacies (both times :funny:), the Korea octopus & the Moroccan camel meat (special mention to the Polish sausage).
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 11:08:15 AM »
Joab,

You did not mention the most gross part of the spicy soup incident. I recall Freddy vomiting back into his soup bowl and then having to eat it.

I did not mention it on purpose because it was too gross.

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2009, 11:56:19 AM »
I also hate the challenges that force people to eat ridiculous amounts of food.

Sure, throw some foreign delicacy at them, but forcing them to keep downing food until they hurl... not cool.

That being said, my favourite was actually the eating in Season 1. With the two team race for first, and the two team race for last it was a really good challenge.

Plus: "Now we're at hooters, now we're at hooters"

If only they had title quotes in season 1...

I say give me the best of both worlds. Make them eat local cuisine, but if it makes them vomit, so be it. It's usually not the quantity of food that makes them puke, but the food itself. If it can't be avoided, a little vomit makes good TV for me. Especially when Kendra is there saying "Iiii'mmm sssssooooo sssoooorrrrrryyyyyyy!" Awesome.