Author Topic: TAR15 EP11: "It Starts With an “F”, That’s All I’m Saying" (Czech Republic)  (Read 106509 times)

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
My guess is Brian/Ericka didn't get in til after 6am:

hint,

1. what time did FT/BE departed?
2. Find out how long would it take to reach the roadblock from the pit stop.
3. Add 6 hours (they took two and a half hours, plus the penalty)

You get the estimated time for Brian and Ericka's pit stop arrival (plus or minus)

I don't really care that much, in fact I don't even remember what it looked like when they got to the pitstop, just that it was daylight. If it was daylight, it would have to be after a certain time-when the sun rose. Right? If you think about it, you don't need to do all of the other stuff, just figure out how long it took them to get from the road block to the pitstop and then add (at least) what time the sun rose. It's really not that difficult.

Brian and Ericka finished before/after at 6:17am
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 06:27:36 PM by redskevin88 »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
It is my understanding that no team member can do more than 6 RB's, finale or no. That is why it is so important that teams choose carefully who does what leading up to the finale.

I think Meghan and Cheyne are the only ones with flexibility, either of them can do it.

But Sam and Ericka  (to the best of my knowledge) will have to be our RBers, if there is a RB. As puddin pointed out, the season 13 finale did not have one.

Adding that at about 9:35 into the ep 11 show, you can hear BE ask FT "you want to do the last one, right...so I got this one", so I think we can safely say the 6 limit RB rule remains in place.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline AbbyNormal

• RFF Not So Newbie

Adding that at about 9:35 into the ep 11 show, you can hear BE ask FT "you want to do the last one, right...so I got this one", so I think we can safely say the 6 limit RB rule remains in place.

Boy, I'll bet they regret that decision...   :groan:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Slowhatch hooked us up with this webpage a long time ago incase anyone wants to double check the RB balance.

http://homepage.mac.com/yakc/tv/tar15.html

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE

Okay, this is not to put down BE or what.. but i doubt he'll fare well in a memory task either. :funny:

Trust me, it sucks more to lose that million dollars in the final 3 than the feeling to lose in the final 4. :funny:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

OK, Peach and Abby, how do you explain the result in AR10, where the ROADBLOCK split was "Lyn 5, Karlyn 7"?

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
I totally did not think that it was a strategic move on BE's part to quit the Roadblock. Hey, the penalty's 4 hours! In this penultimate leg, the likelihood of another team making such a grave mistake that will cost 4 hours is really low. What's more, they were already the last team there, couldn't he have continued on? After all, Dan already told him it started with an "F", I'm sure he wouldn't take 4 hours even if he unscrambled all the letters one by one would he. And in the first place, I don't see what's so difficult about the Roadblock. Oh well, but I'm just glad it's them who're out and not anyone else. And I admire the way they took it. =)
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster

OK, Peach and Abby, how do you explain the result in AR10, where the ROADBLOCK split was "Lyn 5, Karlyn 7"?
As I said before, Karlyn was allowed to do 7 Roadblocks on Season 10 because the cap was lifted due to it having 13 roadblocks. Most probably, Lyn performed an unaired Roadblock. Eric in All-Stars confirmed the cap was set back to 6 after he stated in an episode that he had maxed out.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 04:14:42 PM by Dån (cdfe88) »
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective

Boy, I'll bet they regret that decision...   :groan:

Since you ask so nicely :lol:

Season 10 had 12 legs but 13 Roadblocks, BECAUSE there was the TBC in leg 9 where one leg had 2.

Teams were well aware throughout the race that the RB split needed to stay even , but with 13 RB's, someone would do 6, the other person 7.

There was an unaired RB in Mauritius, on leg 7. This was the episode that had full video spoilers, and then was not shown on air.

Lyn did this RB, which consisted of kayaking out to a large boat (I believe this may have been the Isla Mauritia??), Swim over and board that boat, where they were outfitted in an old fashioned "Diver's Bell Helmet". They then had to walk underwater across a path through the coral reef collecting a series of letters. when they had all their letters, they had to unscramble them (still underwater), in order to reveal the name of their next destination, which was the Post Office on the western shore....

They then had to swim back from the boat to their kayak, and paddle all the way back to shore.

Lyn had some trouble with this task in two areas, which lost her some time.

The first was that being very buoyant, she had difficulty getting down to the bottom and staying there. The next was getting back into the kayak. The paddle back was also quite a distance.

So of the 13 RB's she did 6, Karlyn 7.

Interestingly...Lyn and Karlyn were the ONLY team to do the full 13 RB's that season, as both Tyler and James and Rob and Kimberly  had FF's...leaving their totals at 6/6 (including the unaired RB).

Source? Lyn Turk  :thankyou: Lyn!!

And I STILL grieve for not getting to see this RB!!! :'(

But to take us back on topic... the RB rule appears to still be in complete effect.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile

Boy, I'll bet they regret that decision...   :groan:

Since you ask so nicely :lol:

Season 10 had 12 legs but 13 Roadblocks, BECAUSE there was the TBC in leg 9 where one leg had 2.

Teams were well aware throughout the race that the RB split needed to stay even , but with 13 RB's, someone would do 6, the other person 7.

There was an unaired RB in Mauritius, on leg 7. This was the episode that had full video spoilers, and then was not shown on air.

Lyn did this RB, which consisted of kayaking out to a large boat (I believe this may have been the Isla Mauritia??), Swim over and board that boat, where they were outfitted in an old fashioned "Diver's Bell Helmet". They then had to walk underwater across a path through the coral reef collecting a series of letters. when they had all their letters, they had to unscramble them (still underwater), in order to reveal the name of their next destination, which was the Post Office on the western shore....

They then had to swim back from the boat to their kayak, and paddle all the way back to shore.

Lyn had some trouble with this task in two areas, which lost her some time.

The first was that being very buoyant, she had difficulty getting down to the bottom and staying there. The next was getting back into the kayak. The paddle back was also quite a distance.

So of the 13 RB's she did 6, Karlyn 7.

Interestingly...Lyn and Karlyn were the ONLY team to do the full 13 RB's that season, as both Tyler and James and Rob and Kimberly  had FF's...leaving their totals at 6/6 (including the unaired RB).

Source? Lyn Turk  :thankyou: Lyn!!

And I STILL grieve for not getting to see this RB!!! :'(

But to take us back on topic... the RB rule appears to still be in complete effect.

wooohooo, go peach!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

As I said before, Karlyn was allowed to do 7 Roadblocks on Season 10 because the cap was lifted due to it having 13 roadblocks. Most probably, Lyn performed an unaired Roadblock. Eric in All-Stars confirmed the cap was set back to 6 after he stated in an episode that he had maxed out.
Dan,
I think the cap of 6 was not lifted because it does not exist. Here are the ROADBLOCKs and who took them in AR10:

1 Gold House Restaurant eat fish eyes Karlyn
2 Mongolia House flaming arrow          Lyn
3 Hanoi bicycle flower sales                 Karlyn (note - thanks to Raymond this has been corrected)
4 Hon Yun Nga rock climb                    Karlyn
5 Karthik Driving Sschool                     Lyn
6 Kuwait Tower climb                          Karlyn
7 Grand Baie                                      not aired so doesn't count
8 Stamp Vendors                                Lyn (thanks to Raymond this has been corrected)
9 Tytyrin Limestone Mine                     Karlyn
10 or 9b Oster Tank School                 Lyn
11 or 10 Atlas Studio Charioteer          Karlyn
12 or 11 Camel Meat in Casablanca     Lyn                                        
13 0r 12 Parachute over Normandy      Karlyn

There are either 13 or 12 episodes, depending on how you count the TBC that starts in leg 9.  There is one unaired ROADBLOCK. The count is unequivocal Lyn 5 Karlyn 7. WRP listed this as 12 episodes, not 13 and there are clearly 12 legs which contain ROADBLOCKS. How would an unaired ROADBLOCK impact ROADBLOCK balancing requirements imposed by WRP? None of us knows. Until we do, the fact is that a 12 episode show did not have a cap at 6 ROADBLOCKs.

By the way, thanks for the data to the AR10 leg racing reports issued by mswood in 2006. They were clear and it was relatively easy to find the ROADBLOCK information. I made one interpretation error and one transcription error in placing the information above, but Raymond corrected them. Those corrections had no impact on my conclusions.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 07:59:37 AM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective

There are either 13 or 12 episodes, depending on how you count the TBC that starts in leg 9.  There is one unaired ROADBLOCK. The count is unequivocal Lyn 5 Karlyn 7. WRP listed this as 12 episodes, not 13 and there are clearly 12 legs which contain ROADBLOCKS. How would an unaired ROADBLOCK impact ROADBLOCK balancing requirements imposed by WRP? None of us knows. Until we do, the fact is that a 12 episode show did not have a cap at 6 ROADBLOCKs.

apskip, you are of course welcome to your opinion. However, in this case we DO know the answer.

Again, 12 episodes...13 Roadblocks.

Teams knew the entire race that they must maintain an even split. Once the TBC was revealed, that count then increased from 6/6. Of course the total had to increase from 12, since there were now 13 RB's, and teams thought there might be yet another.

Why would unaired or not matter? During the race, teams certainly wouldn't know it might not be aired, nor would production. Of course the unaired RB counts in the balance...no one knew then it wouldn't air. It was certainly run.

And Lyn absolutely knows the answer to this, and I discussed this with her last night for well over an hour. The FACT is that teams were VERY much aware of the RB rules at the time. The RB limit was indisputably in place, whether that limit turned out to be 6 or 7 doesn't matter. 

Karlyn actually took the skydiving RB (which Lyn VERY much wanted to do), because they were still anticipating some sort of puzzle/memory/race history challenge at the finale, and Lyn had kept a eecord and studied all of the flags/tasks/etc along the way, and was the one best prepared for that kind of task.

Sorry guys, I know this might seem off-topic, but it is important to be clear that since season 5, the "Bowling Moms' rule" has stood, and teams know at the outset that they are expected to maintain an even split. An "even" split of 13 would of course be 6/7.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Hey Peach, you may be the best to answer this.  And now is the best time to answer it since you have just had a talk with a racer-to-the-end (Lyn).

The question is does the Roadblock count have to be even to the extent possible at every point along the race?  For example this would be a case of even all the time:

Roadblock racer A   racer B
1                     1          0
2                     1          1
3                     1          2
4                     2          2
5                     2          3
6                     3          3
7                     3          4
8                     4          4
9                     5          4
10                   5          5
11                   6          5
12                   6          6
13                   7          6

And this would be a case of  of not even all the time

Roadblock racer A   racer B
1                     1          0
2                     2          0
3                     3          0
4                     4          0
5                     5          0
6                     6          0
7                     7          0
8                     7          1
9                     7          2
10                   7          3
11                   7          4
12                   7          5
13                   7          6

But both ways end up with an even split to the extent possible.

I'm just curious if the even count rule has to be maintained or just attained.   :duno:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I'm not peach, but I can say that the split just had to be attained, mainly because we see people forced to do Roadblocks (Amber, Danielle and Hayden all had to do the last two Roadblocks, Yolanda had to do the last 3). I suspect Maria/Tiffany would've been crusing along this path also; at their elimination Tiffany was up 5-2 (and of course, they would still have the haybales to contend with).

On topic, I think the check in times are about:

Meghan/Cheyne 200 am
Sam/Dan 320 am (I'd say the golem task added time to them)
Brian/Ericka 600 am

I think the start of the leg to the end of Kafka hell took an hour and a half (unless you're Herb/Nate  :groan:). Golems took another two hours (unless you're Sam/Dan and argue for an hour  :res:). Glass carrying probably took around the same time as bickering + golem handling. Add another half hour for travel, and another penalty for Brian/Ericka writing the letters down, and here we are.

Of course, watch them get an 18 hour pit stop or something.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Pretty sure it is up to the racers to see that it is attained at the end.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline florida

• RFF Jr. Member
I think the cap of 6 was not lifted because it does not exist. Here are the ROADBLOCKs and who took them in AR10:

2 Mongolia House flaming arrow          Lyn
3 Hanoi bicycle flower sales                 Lyn
4 Hon Yun Nga rock climb                    Karlyn
5 Karthik Driving Sschool                     Lyn
6 Kuwait Tower climb                          Karlyn
7 Grand Baie                                      not aired so doesn't count
8 Stamp Vendors                                Karlyn
9 Tytyrin Limestone Mine                     Karlyn
10 or 9b Oster Tank School                 Lyn
11 or 10 Atlas Studio Charioteer          Karlyn
12 or 11 Camel Meat in Casablanca     Lyn                                         
13 0r 12 Parachute over Normandy      Karlyn

Lyn did the stamp vendors Roadblock in Madagascar, where Mary helped her out and Lyn cried at the Pit Stop because of Mary's generosity (since Mary/David were eliminated). =)

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Dan,
I don't how many times this has to be explained to you, ap, but it's clear that you don't want to accept the explanation.

Why don't you let me come to your house and hit you over the head with a Ball-peen hammer? Maybe you can better understand.
Just here to visit.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster

2 Mongolia House flaming arrow          Lyn
3 Hanoi bicycle flower sales                 Lyn
4 Hon Yun Nga rock climb                    Karlyn
5 Karthik Driving Sschool                     Lyn
6 Kuwait Tower climb                          Karlyn
7 Grand Baie                                      not aired so doesn't count
8 Stamp Vendors                                Karlyn
9 Tytyrin Limestone Mine                     Karlyn
10 or 9b Oster Tank School                 Lyn
11 or 10 Atlas Studio Charioteer          Karlyn
12 or 11 Camel Meat in Casablanca     Lyn                                         
13 0r 12 Parachute over Normandy      Karlyn

Lyn did the stamp vendors Roadblock in Madagascar, where Mary helped her out and Lyn cried at the Pit Stop because of Mary's generosity (since Mary/David were eliminated). =)

And Karlyn did the Hanoi flowers Roadblock.

Now back to the episode: Was the clue box at the Spanish Synagogue anywhere near the statue of Franz Kafka?
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline 2old4tech

• RFF Full Member
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? :groan:

and I thought it was the "Lazy A$$ Kim Rule" :lol:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
Dan,
I don't how many times this has to be explained to you, ap, but it's clear that you don't want to accept the explanation.

Why don't you let me come to your house and hit you over the head with a Ball-peen hammer? Maybe you can better understand.

Oh c'mon AsiaFan, be nice! It seems we have a very low tolerance here for anyone who doesn't understand something, which is unfortunate. I find that comment offensive to me, and I'm sure it was to apskip. I don't think that is called for.

I don't think this was mentioned, but the Roadblock cap was not lifted away entirely, but just raised to 7 instead of 6.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 02:58:39 PM by Hooky »
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
Dan,

Oh c'mon AsiaFan, be nice! It seems we have a very low tolerance here for anyone who doesn't understand something, which is unfortunate. I find that comment offensive to me, and I'm sure it was to apskip. I don't think that is called for.

I don't think this was mentioned, but the Roadblock cap was not lifted away entirely, but just raised to 7 instead of 6.

It's not low  tolerance hooky, it's the fact that apskip can never admit to being wrong, even when he obviously is.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
Dan,

It's not low  tolerance hooky, it's the fact that apskip can never admit to being wrong, even when he obviously is.

Yeah, I get that, but I don't think that's cause for personal attacks.

Anyway (since I'm the king of off-topic-ness), lets get back on topic here.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Normally I would not snap like that, but ap has attacked me in the past. Plus, I have little tolerance for his lack of tact. Ok, carry on!
Just here to visit.