Author Topic: First Season of TAR?  (Read 12832 times)

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
First Season of TAR?
« on: November 02, 2009, 06:59:06 PM »
What was the first episode and season of The Amazing Race you ever saw? Time to bring back some nostalgia!

Mine was Season 9, Leg 10 (Ep. 11), with the crickets Fast-Forward and MOJO elimination. I still love that episode! :hearts:

By the way, in the poll, pick the season of the first episode you ever watched, not necessarily the first season in which you watched the entire season. :tup:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: First Season of TAR?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
My first full season was TAR 2, but the first episode I saw was Leg 11 of TAR 1, when Kevin/Drew got eliminated in Beijing.

Also, how do you change a vote in the poll? I chose my first full season, not the first episode.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 07:14:57 PM »
I think my first full episode was the third leg from Season 4, there was a marathon running on AXN and I got hooked. My first complete season was the 5th
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline River

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 07:21:37 PM »
Season 6 premiere was my first, definitely got me hooked!
 :colors

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 08:05:22 PM »
I've been there since the beginning-- before 9/11 -- season one, episode one. I've have never failed to see an episode as it was first airing as well.
-- theschnauzers

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 08:19:04 PM »
I was hooked from the first episode, I would wake my daughter up to come down and watch it with me ,, we were rooting for Frank & Margarita but, now that I rewatched season 1 I was glad Rob & Brennan won  :lol:
At the time I had no internet so had no idea that there were "spoilers" ;D

My favorite seasons are 7 & 9.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 08:28:20 PM »
The Amazing Race 3, because they visited Singapore and there was so much hype about it and they put it on our primetime slot at 8.30pm. I still remembered the first time i saw it, one of the co-ed teams (the girl) was changing in the taxi and i was shocked. Don't really know which episode it was for Season 3... but it definitely left an impression on me.

Favourite seasons - TAR 3 (The season that got me hooked, because Flo and Zach won), TAR 5 (The season which relit the TAR flame in me), TAR 7 (Simply because Uchenna and Joyce won and Meredith and Gretchen went so far), TAR 10 (Because Lyns made it far and the locations/cast was amazing), TAR 12 (Because for the first time, the two teams i rooted for since pre-race went all the way to the final 2 and win 1st/2nd) and TAR 14 (Amazing teams + Tammy and Victor WON!)

:hearts: :funny:

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 08:34:14 PM »
Sorry Hooky I answered before reading so I picked the full season I watched (season 4).

First episode I ever watched was 2nd season Hong Kong Episode with Danny & Oswald.  I watched until they got eliminated and that was it for me.

I then watched about 3 episodes of season three (a season I liked, so I am surprised I didn't watch most of it).

I happened to catch the first episode of season 4, and being gay and in a serious long term relationship I really took to Reichen & Chip, so I stuck with the whole season.  I have been hooked ever since.  Hell I love even the Family Edition (just rewatched that season last week, and minus some really stupid tasks and bunching for ever, I still like it a lot, with some teams I really love, and even some tasks that I think rocked).

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 08:47:06 PM »
I remember watching the very first commercial for TAR 1 with Victoria Falls and the Eiffel Tower sometime August 2001, turning to my friend, and saying with an authoritative voice, "it's a good show, watch it." :lol:

Jumped on the sofa when the previews after Krabi showed Tiananmen.
Jumped on the sofa and continued jumping on the sofa when I saw Tiantan Buddha in the TAR 2 opening sequence.
Almost flat out died when my Grade 7 teacher told me her friend was working on production for the TAR 3 Singapore leg.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 08:51:39 PM by Neobie »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 09:09:10 PM »
Almost flat out died when my Grade 7 teacher told me her friend was working on production for the TAR 3 Singapore leg.

:funny: :funny: :funny:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 09:34:44 PM »
Sorry everyone, I can't edit the poll. :(

But interesting responses so far; I guess I'm one of the newer fans! And I thought three years was a long time! :lol:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 09:37:20 PM »
How many of you know that TAR was originally intended to air on CBS as a late spring/summer series in 2001?  CBS had intended to start TAR the same way it had starting Survivor as a spring=summer series in 2000, but at some point before the May 2001 upfronts, they decided to save it for the fall season.

I remember seeing commercials for TAR in the spring of 2001, just before CBS decided to hold it for the fall. It feastured the shot of Kevin and Drew running across a footbridge in the mists of Victoria Falls.

Spring of TAR 4 I remember hearing how those of you in Singapore had a editing version of the opening credits because Chip gave a Reichen a kiss on the cheek in the opening credits sequence.
-- theschnauzers

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 10:02:17 PM »
Hard to believe or not...! I watched first episode of first season wayyy back in Sept. 2001! After the first episode aired, I told my mom that we should do it together!   :lol:   But yeah, the first season got me hooked. I was rooting for Nancy & Emily to win whole thing!!  :groan:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 10:07:08 PM »
Season 1, show 1, have seen every episode since., most multiple times.

I was hooked the moment I saw Kevin and Drew running across the bridge to Victoria Falls, silhouetted against the sky. And that love survived even after Drew told me that wasn't them, it was an after shot. :lol:

Nearly lost me in season 6/7, not my favorites, but like puddin, once I discovered spoilers it was all over for me, I was addicted. Season 9 was my first spoiler season.

And then there is TARA, which I think has been a joy to watch...like TAR, the "younger years"!!

Hi Luke!! :waves:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 10:10:11 PM »
I think I joined RFF in Season 9 too?

Remember searching all over Sao Paulo for those darned helipads...

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 10:49:12 PM »

I was hooked the moment I saw Kevin and Drew running across the bridge to Victoria Falls, silhouetted against the sky. And that love survived even after Drew told me that wasn't them, it was an after shot. :lol:

Nearly lost me in season 6/7, not my favorites, but like puddin, once I discovered spoilers it was all over for me, I was addicted. Season 9 was my first spoiler season.

And then there is TARA, which I think has been a joy to watch...like TAR, the "younger years"!!

Peach!! How could you not like Season 7!? I totallllly loved that season. Tons of footraces to pit stops!! I loved Season 9 as well but not with the boys dominated the legs tho. I remember one episode from Season 9 I showed to my mom before we left for the race was the three way foot race between Mojo, Hippies, and Frats. My mom went like, "I hope that won't happen to us! I don't think we would be able to win the footrace against two teams to the pit stop!" then I was like, "I'm sure it will happens!" then it happened in Guilin! But, I was little disappointed that we didn't have a lot of footraces to the pit stops on my season like it was on Season 7!

Hope all are well w/ you, Peach!

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 10:54:04 PM »
I was still in elementary school when TAR 1 aired. I remember watching random TAR episodes (I like travel, so I was interested by it).

I started to watch more randomly TAR 9-10. TAR 11 in South America threw me off until they got to Poland, but from then on I've been an avid watcher.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 11:57:57 PM »
I think my first full episode was the third leg from Season 4, there was a marathon running on AXN and I got hooked. My first complete season was the 5th

SAME HERE! :funny: My first leg was Season 4, Leg 4, also during an AXN marathon. :funny: But I managed to catch a second TAR 4 marathon so I was able to complete that. :funny:

Peach!! How could you not like Season 7!? I totallllly loved that season. Tons of footraces to pit stops!! I loved Season 9 as well but not with the boys dominated the legs tho. I remember one episode from Season 9 I showed to my mom before we left for the race was the three way foot race between Mojo, Hippies, and Frats. My mom went like, "I hope that won't happen to us! I don't think we would be able to win the footrace against two teams to the pit stop!" then I was like, "I'm sure it will happens!" then it happened in Guilin! But, I was little disappointed that we didn't have a lot of footraces to the pit stops on my season like it was on Season 7!

Hope all are well w/ you, Peach!

@peach: Season 9 was my first spoiler season too! :funny: And I was lost at 7, since I still felt some old-school TAR in 6.
@DeafRacer: I actually thought your team & Tammy/Victor dominated the legs too, Luke (though not placings-wise :funny:).
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 01:47:57 AM »
TAR 1, Episode 1......from the start. NBC also started a show at the same time called LOST. I really liked the concept of that show too. But 9/11 killed LOST.

I like 1-7......TAR8 really destroyed the show as far as I am concerned and it hasnt recovered yet.
Matthew 7:15

Offline inomu

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 03:40:35 AM »
My first episode was episode 1 from season 1 in 2003. They started broadcasting TAR in Finland in 2003. My favourite team was Frank & Margarita! :tup:

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 11:34:50 AM »
TAR8 really destroyed the show as far as I am concerned and it hasnt recovered yet.

I think TAR 9/10 were generally good. I think the budget cuts/subpar race designers are gradually killing the show. It's particularly evident this season. Too many staying in cities and not enough countryside! (Remedied in the Netherlands though)

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 06:21:15 PM »
Season 6 leg 8! With Victoria screaming about here finger, what a great way to get hooked to the show!
 :funny:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 06:25:46 PM »
Season 6 leg 8! With Victoria screaming about here finger, what a great way to get hooked to the show!
 :funny:
I just saw the complete season 6 on february, the pit stop in berlin was epic! NOOO! They're gonna take it!
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline supergoten

• RFF Not So Newbie
    • Tengaged
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 06:26:34 PM »
I actually did see the first episode back in 2001. But for some reason, I didn't really get into the show until season 4. But now I've watched the older seasons again.

DavidJunior

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 11:11:40 AM »
my first ever episode was in season 8, on the non-elimination leg where the Paolos came in last, and wore all their clothes to the pit stop

i only got really excited for TAR when i heard there was an All-Stars, i then found out that GSN was playing the show around midnight, starting with Season 1.  That's basically where I saw most of the shows (and got my love for JV/J)

i promptly gave up on TARAS after the first episode...

but, i loved the race, so i picked it right back up with Season 12 and haven't stopped since

i stumbled onto this site for Season 13 spoilers, and finally joined with Season 14