Author Topic: TAR15 EP9: "We’re Not Meant for the Swamp" (Estonia)  (Read 112061 times)

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR15 EP9: "We’re Not Meant for the Swamp" (Estonia)
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2009, 03:21:10 PM »
this is the first time i see that there is a thing called swamp volleyball :D we do have the swamps and we do have the volleyball but not combined  :funny:

:lol: blame it on the Finns... they claim to have started a lot of these silly sports... they must have a lot of extra time on their hands waiting out the long dark winters..  :funny:

never a dull moment link

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2009, 03:37:31 PM »
What are the odds were going to match that swamp?  :groan:
And I think they say they are catching a taxi Boingo and they share it per video  :duno:

Soomaa National Park is about 100 miles south of Tallinn and is known for its swamps and bogs (Soomaa means "land of bogs" in Estonian). Surprisingly, swimming is popular and is said to rejuvenate the skin.

Lahemaa National Park is about 50km east of Tallinn and is a place to find some nice forests, seaside and
 swamps and bogs. One of the most suggested place to go there is Viru raba (Viru bog), that has 5km foottrack and watching tower. You can also start and finish in same location if You go to tower and back or take a round trip back to start around the bog. There are good maps and information tables at the track.

Kaberneeme village is about 40km east of Tallinn on the coast. The village has 2km long beach area with pine tree forests edging right up to the shore.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2009, 05:45:14 PM »
Swamp volleyball got its start not far away in Finland, part of which is only about 50 miles from the northern part of Estonia:

from 18 until 20 July the town of Hyrynsalmi hosted the Swamp Football World Championships.

It is said that this sport also originated from Finland, where it was used as a training method for athletes and soldiers. As the soft ground made it harder to play, it was seen as a physically more demanding way to play football.

The first Finnish Championships were held in 1998, and the event grew to world championship status in 2000. These days there are an estimated 260 swamp football teams around the world.

Only a week from the Swamp Football World Championships, the town of Haukivuori held the Swamp Volleyball World Championships.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2009, 11:03:32 PM »
I found it-------  :jumpy: :jumpy: Kehtna, Raplamaa, Estonia, its an hour drive give or take south of Tallinn.

thanks John Doe  :funny:
I was photographing a hiking event near Kehtna, Raplamaa, Estonia. The host of the event will be quite famous soon – he treated the finalists of the all-known TV-show “Amazing Race” at August 03, ‘09. That episode will be available at the end of November ‘09

The most interesting sights of Rapla County :
1. 8km long Loosalu – Paluküla Hiking Trail, with a plank road, starts from the South of the Vana-Kaiu Manor and passes through big Loosalu Bog Lake to the Bulge of Paluküla - Reevimäe, situated among the bogs. Paluküla Hiiemägi (106m above sea level) is the highest point of Western Estonia.

more here with a GE link

http://travel.reisijutud.com/GPS/kakerdaja.shtml
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:06:45 PM by puddin »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2009, 11:15:30 PM »
Is he referring to Phil or the greeter?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2009, 11:58:52 PM »
I found it-------  :jumpy: :jumpy: Kehtna, Raplamaa, Estonia, its an hour drive give or take south of Tallinn.

thanks John Doe  :funny:
I was photographing a hiking event near Kehtna, Raplamaa, Estonia. The host of the event will be quite famous soon – he treated the finalists of the all-known TV-show “Amazing Race” at August 03, ‘09. That episode will be available at the end of November ‘09

The most interesting sights of Rapla County :
1. 8km long Loosalu – Paluküla Hiking Trail, with a plank road, starts from the South of the Vana-Kaiu Manor and passes through big Loosalu Bog Lake to the Bulge of Paluküla - Reevimäe, situated among the bogs. Paluküla Hiiemägi (106m above sea level) is the highest point of Western Estonia.

more here with a GE link

http://travel.reisijutud.com/GPS/kakerdaja.shtml

Wow puddin...I didn't think it would be possible to tell one bog from another!! GREAT FIND!!! :hearts:

I think he means the host of the hiking event maybe, slowhatch...not our Phil.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2009, 12:04:55 AM »
I dunno but you just know peach will ask  :lol:  :neener:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2009, 12:42:59 AM »
yep.  :-[ :-[ :-[

That's my job :funny:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2009, 01:13:47 AM »
peach, my favorite stalker  :lol:  :yess:

So when Dan and Sam appear to be done , as well  the Globetrotters, with the task their are still other teams or team being filmed fwiw
Unless of course theres some time penalty involved with the task, like if you don't get it right the first time you have to wait your turn again, just covering all bases not to assume everything is black and white.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2009, 01:19:13 AM »
It would appear Cheyne arrives first

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2009, 11:32:53 AM »
Great eye! :tup:
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2009, 12:59:35 PM »
I dunno but you just know peach will ask  :lol:  :neener:

From John Doe: :jumpy:

But, as an explanation it was not a mud volleyball - it was swamp volleyball. Swamp is - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamp

And as for the host - i meant the guy who owns the place. He's only a local celebrity in a 10 mile radius :D
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2009, 01:08:17 PM »
What a great guy! I really didn't think he would answer, thanks peach and tell John Thank You!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2009, 09:34:54 PM »
John is awesome!! Hope he'll come join in the fun!  MORE:

After completing a task in Tallinn, they had a clue that said only "Tarsi talu, Raplamaa" and three teams acted together and stopped a van and asked the driver for this place. And believe it or not - the driver knew and took all 3 teams there. They were expected around 2-3 pm, but they arrived about 11:30. When they arrived, they all (3 teams) ran off to the wrong direction and made an enormous circle before arriving to the right spot. And the volleyball event itself was supposed to be hilarious :D

He sent us these:
And some more pictures of the place (taken on october 11, 2009):

They were running towards this place (in the first video on that wooden trail) - there is a sightseeing "tower" there:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=58.938045,24.972886&num=1&t=h&sll=58.937743,24.973619&sspn=0.008171,0.023518&ie=UTF8&ll=58.937743,24.973619&spn=0.008171,0.023518&z=16

View Larger Map

The volleyball field is here (+/- 10 meters):
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=58.937459,24.96823&num=1&t=h&sll=58.93585,24.966345&sspn=0.008171,0.023518&ie=UTF8&ll=58.937212,24.970357&spn=0.008171,0.023518&z=16

View Larger Map

The teams arrived there: --peach: Pitstop?? or where the taxi dropped them is unclear to me...
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=58.935355,24.96117&num=1&t=h&sll=58.936924,24.971902&sspn=0.008171,0.023518&ie=UTF8&ll=58.93585,24.966345&spn=0.008171,0.023518&z=16

View Larger Map

Volleyball field

path to watchtower (taken aside from the volleyball field)                                                                      path to volleyball field that continues to watchtower       

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 09:41:22 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2009, 09:59:19 PM »
Thanks, Peach! (and John Doe)  :jam:  :jumpy: So it's Keava bog, then? And this must be the watchtower.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2009, 10:02:05 PM »
Your wonderful John! Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures with us as well as the maps  :wine:
So its still possible that Cheyne and Meghan arrived first? And Brian and Ericka are sharing the van?! Who would have known? :D

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2009, 10:07:56 PM »
I'm expecting we'll have a replay of Luke and Jen's smackdown this episode at the pitstop between the boys :lol: "He shoved me FIRST!" and then we'll get the slow-mo film of who shoved who and who tackled who first.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
I'm expecting we'll have a replay of Luke and Jen's smackdown this episode at the pitstop between the boys :lol: "He shoved me FIRST!" and then we'll get the slow-mo film of who shoved who and who tackled who first.
I wonder who calls "bitch" first
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2009, 10:12:01 PM »
 :funny:

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2009, 12:34:17 AM »
Puddin is the official champion of RFF spoiler lols.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2009, 12:57:06 AM »
What is that in Sam's hand?? The yellow funny clue?? Could it be a U-Turn??  ^^

I can't see the video from work so scuse it if there s something I am missing...

This may have already been mentioned, but it was a Detour clue. :tup:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2009, 07:16:19 AM »
Do we know the third team in the van??

If it isn't M/C...maybe they get to the field first while the other three make that wrong loop?? :duno:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2009, 07:51:06 AM »
I assume Brian and Ericka share the van IF this is at the bog ....which I'm assuming it is

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2009, 08:22:43 AM »
I think so too!!

More from John: :hearts:

Apparently this site is owned by the greeter:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=58.935355,24.96117&num=1&t=h&sll=58.936924,24.971902&sspn=0.008171,0.023518&ie=UTF8&ll=58.93585,24.966345&spn=0.008171,0.023518&z=16

And he is also the one who made that hiking trail to the watchtower (about 1 mile long) and owns the land until the volleyball field. Basically it's an area that you can rent for different events ....

...they had 3 meals a day and I know that the support crew of the race stayed there. Because they had their own cooks and everything in the crew (even though site offers catering), I suppose the racers stayed there for the night as well. And taking that and the things I saw in the video (--peach- I sent the preview video)- I'm pretty sure that the watchtower is the pitstop

I have asked for clarification on the exact place names...

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2009, 09:35:18 AM »
John viewed the video and wrote:

After completing a task in Tallinn, they had a clue that said only "Tarsi talu, Raplamaa" and three teams acted together and stopped a van and asked the driver for this place. And believe it or not - the driver knew and took all 3 teams there. They were expected around 2-3 pm, but they arrived about 11:30. When they arrived, they all (3 teams) ran off to the wrong direction and made an enormous circle before arriving to the right spot. And the volleyball event itself was supposed to be hilarious

So I took at as the 3 teams mentioned. I guess all thats left for tasks is to find is the speedbump :D