Author Topic: 'Survivor' battles malaria  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
'Survivor' battles malaria
« on: February 18, 2003, 02:59:36 PM »
By MIKE McDANIEL
Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.hts/ae/tv/1779684

Daniel Lue, the tax accountant from Clear Lake and one of the castaways of Survivor: The Amazon, was resting comfortably at home Friday following a diagnosis of malaria.

Lue is barred from talking to the media until his fate on Survivor has been revealed. But his mother, Cynthia, said Friday that Daniel's temperature was back to normal after spiking earlier in the week to 105 degrees.

Mrs. Lue said her son began to feel weak Feb. 4. By Feb. 8, his temperature was up to 105.

"I was really concerned, and we called a doctor," who said it was probably the flu, she said. He took over-the-counter medication "which didn't help much."

Subsequent visits to the doctor produced little relief. On Wednesday, Daniel's blood was tested and he learned he had contracted malaria. He was prescribed quinine.

"He took that, and the first night he was suffering," Mrs. Lue said. "He had a chill and fever. Today (Friday) his temperature is back to normal."

Before traveling to South America, Daniel took a variety of preventive medications, including one for malaria, Mrs. Lue said. He continued to take antimalaria medication after his return.

A CBS spokesman said Friday that Survivor's physician is in direct contact with Daniel's doctor to monitor his treatment and that "we wish him the best for a speedy recovery."

Daniel watched Thursday's Survivor premiere at home with his father, Eugene. Mrs. Lue watched with Coldwell Banker co-workers who threw a Survivor party.

"It was fantastic," she said. "Anytime someone said something bad about him, they'd all boo.

"I told my friends that for the next few days I'm not going to use the word `balance' in my household, like `balance checkbook,' `balanced diet.' I'm going to stay away from that word for a while."

Daniel was in jeopardy on Thursday's show because of trouble negotiating a balance beam. He survived but teammate Ryan Aiken, a model from Ellicott City, Md., did not.

"He's glad that first episode is over with," Mrs. Lue said.

The show did well in the ratings, the 90-minute episode finishing second to three back-to-back episodes of NBC's Friends nationally. In Houston, the show was No. 2 from 7 to 7:30 p.m. and No. 1 from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by 1045980000 »

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
Re: 'Survivor' battles malaria
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2003, 05:52:29 PM »
That's terrible that he got malaria.  Is that spread through insects?  Sorry I am not up today with medical stuff.

Theresa

Re: 'Survivor' battles malaria
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2003, 06:50:09 AM »
Yes it is spread through insects, usually mosquitos.  It is a parasite that is passed through mosquitos, they bite one person with it and then they bite another person and that person can get it, and so on.  

Here is a link to a site about Malaria if you want to learn more:

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/malinfo.htm