Author Topic: Celebrity Apprentice 3  (Read 20598 times)

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
Celebrity Apprentice 3
« on: October 20, 2009, 02:15:09 PM »
'Celebrity Apprentice 3' cast revealed

By MICHAEL STARR

Last Updated: 8:41 AM, October 17, 2009

Posted: 3:10 AM, October 16, 2009

The disgraced governor, the rehabilitated ballplayer, a couple of pro wrestlers, a comic and a comedy writer -- the cast of Donald Trump's "Celebrity Apprentice" is supposed to be a secret.

But here they are, walking down West 15th Street like something out of "Ocean's 11."

They were shooting in the Meatpacking District, recording the opening sequence of the show for the new season of NBC's hit reality show.

Look closely. They're marching in unison now -- but once the show kicks off in March, they're bound to be at each other's throats.

Among the faces this time around are former Met and Yankees star Darryl Strawberry, ex-Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, Sinbad and big-haired pop star Cyndi Lauper (who seemed visibly upset during the shoot when she heard that her longtime friend, wrestler Lou Albano had died earlier that day).

Sharon Osbourne ("America's Got Talent") and Bret Michaels ("Rock of Love") -- two reality TV stars -- are on the show this year.

Actress Holly Robinson Peete and funny lady Carol Leifer, who wrote for "Seinfeld" -- the character of Elaine was based on her -- are also in.

Wrestlers Goldberg and Maria Kanellis, Australian celebrity chef Curtis Stone and Olympic gold-medal swimmer Summer Sanders round out the crew, who will shoot the show over the next month.

Source: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/celebrity_apprentice_cast_revealed_blQSVcPH8a85WAoL0Rnw3H
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Celebrity Apprentice 3
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 02:19:27 PM »
I loved Patti Blagojevich on "Get Me Out of Here" and I suspect Blago will be good TV as well.  :tup: Can't wait for this to air!

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
Celebrity Apprentice 3
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 02:31:08 PM »
'Celebrity Apprentice 3' cast revealed

The disgraced governor, the rehabilitated ballplayer, a couple of pro wrestlers, a comic and a comedy writer -- the cast of Donald Trump's "Celebrity Apprentice" is supposed to be a secret.

But here they are, walking down West 15th Street like something out of "Ocean's 11."

They were shooting in the Meatpacking District, recording the opening sequence of the show for the new season of NBC's hit reality show.

Look closely. They're marching in unison now -- but once the show kicks off in March, they're bound to be at each other's throats.

Among the faces this time around are former Met and Yankees star Darryl Strawberry, ex-Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, Sinbad and big-haired pop star Cyndi Lauper (who seemed visibly upset during the shoot when she heard that her longtime friend, wrestler Lou Albano had died earlier that day).

Sharon Osbourne ("America's Got Talent") and Bret Michaels ("Rock of Love") -- two reality TV stars -- are on the show this year.

Actress Holly Robinson Peete and funny lady Carol Leifer, who wrote for "Seinfeld" -- the character of Elaine was based on her -- are also in.

Wrestlers Goldberg and Maria Kanellis, Australian celebrity chef Curtis Stone and Olympic gold-medal swimmer Summer Sanders round out the crew, who will shoot the show over the next month.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/celebrity_apprentice_cast_revealed_blQSVcPH8a85WAoL0Rnw3H
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 02:35:32 PM by RealityFreakWill »

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 05:06:46 PM »
TWO-HOUR PREMIERE! SUNDAY MARCH 14th, 9/8c

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 05:08:02 PM »
Look at their faces!  :lol: Cyndi Lauper is SCARY! (And I love her!)

Can't wait for this to begin!  :jumpy:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 10:21:09 AM »
 :res: :groan: :-[

I forgot to watch!!! But it repeats on Friday night on CNBC so I can catch up!  :iok

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 08:23:19 AM »
Hope there is an episode in Youtube. :lol3:

Out of the Celebrities, I only know two: Cyndi Lauper and Sharon Osbourne.  :lol3:
Others? I don't know who they are.  :lol3:

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 09:15:46 PM by uycocoa »
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline realshowfan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Frantic Fanfic Fanatic!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 09:21:24 AM »
I watched a bit of the parts from Youtube. Someone said they might upload CA3 tomorrow? It was real nice, though they should really think of some other 'simple/common' tasks other than food tasks, but dining instead of selling on the streets is a good change. :lol: Maybe next season they'll sell in baseball fields. X)

I find ironic that I actually listened to Cyndi Lauper's song True Colors (Glee, Anoop's version, & her version, they all rock <3) before finding out the full cast. And then to hear her sing a bit of the song itself, gave me goosebumps.

(SPOILER)

She looked soooo clueless at the Boardroom, like she's wasted all her energy, and she's too nice. The women are so not fierce as last season.

I only knew Cyndi Lauper, Sharon Osbourne, Rod Blagojevich (thank you I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Outta Here =P), Michael Johnson, Holly Robinson Peete (I knew that name and I remembered reading something about her), Maria Kanellis, and Carol Leifer. The most I've known for a celebrity season yet, and by a mile.
This summer ※ The Amazing Race: ZBC // RSF
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,31363.0.html

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• RFF's Goodwill Ambassador
  • I Live at RFF
  • No more wire hangers EVER!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 10:29:38 AM »
OMG did Carol get thrown under the bus by Hollie!  :meow: holy cow!

we all know even though Cyndi is awesome as a person and artist the project manager should have went home. she wasn't on top of anything. the POWER WOMEN just stepped up and took a role on their own. and that's the right thing to do when your leader doesn't lead!

I love Cyndi :hearts: but she's too soft for the apprentice war zone and casualties! :colors

Now onto dump trump :ugot ... what's his deal belittling Cyndi when she brings up Rosie. if it's for charity, SUCK IT UP BIG BOY!  BUT NOOO instead he bashed Rosie yet again on national TV  and in turn insulting Cindy by being associated with Rosie.

I also would like to say Rosie should have donated, sent someone down with a check for her friend. I can completely understand her not wanting to be there but she should have supported Cyndi

I think the girls are gona do themselves in! :groan: I hope Sharon is the next project manager and kicks ass! :neener:
zero, zilch, nada, nothing!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 12:55:39 PM »
OMG did Carol get thrown under the bus by Hollie!  :meow: holy cow!

we all know even though Cyndi is awesome as a person and artist the project manager should have went home. she wasn't on top of anything. the POWER WOMEN just stepped up and took a role on their own. and that's the right thing to do when your leader doesn't lead!

I love Cyndi :hearts: but she's too soft for the apprentice war zone and casualties! :colors

Now onto dump trump :ugot ... what's his deal belittling Cyndi when she brings up Rosie. if it's for charity, SUCK IT UP BIG BOY!  BUT NOOO instead he bashed Rosie yet again on national TV  and in turn insulting Cindy by being associated with Rosie.

I also would like to say Rosie should have donated, sent someone down with a check for her friend. I can completely understand her not wanting to be there but she should have supported Cyndi

I think the girls are gona do themselves in! :groan: I hope Sharon is the next project manager and kicks ass! :neener:

Sure, Sharon's going to kick ass just like she did for years of America's Got Talent, one of my favorite shows except for those judging wimps Sharon Osbourne and David Hasslehoff. NOT!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 09:28:44 AM »
I think an abbreviated recap is warranted for CA3. Here is one on episode 1:

Donald Trump invited 7 men and 7 women to Grand Central Station to begin this competition to show how much money can be raised for charity (I wonder it he donates his fees for the show to charity?). He claimed a key role in Grand Central Terminal renovations, which is true (see below).  He tells them that the men will start as one team and the women as another. The first challenge is to run a diner from 11am to 2pm the next day to sell food for profit but more importantly capture charity donations. Both teams are given workspace in Trump Tower and charged with selecting a first-class name and picking the Project Manager for the other team.

Next meeting is in the Boardroom. Trump asks for the names. Men are Rock Solid. women are Tenacity. The Women select Bret Michaela as Men's Project manger and the Men select Cyndi Lauper, both of whom end up doing a good job in those roles. Rock solid has an edge because they have celebrity chef Curtis Stone, who should be able to run a diner in his sleep. An important decision was choice of location. Trump offers either of two Manhattan Burger Heavens, one at 62nd and Lexington next to a subway the entrance/exit and the other at 53rd and Madison. The women pick the former, the Men are satisfied with the latter and there is no need for a coin flip. Donald Trump Jr. and Ivanka Trump (now newly married but not when this show was filmed are introduced as Trump's Eyes and Ears.

Rock Solid and Tenacity do more detailed planning and get their diners ready to open. Advertising is down with free ( I think) radio spots, flyers, posters and shills who are on the sidewalk(that would primarily be Carol Leifer and Darryl Strawberry) touting the celebrities involved, such as Cyndi Lauper and Sharon Osbourne as the 2 most famous and recognizable women's team members. Both diners get off to a slow start but it doesn't take long for both to get full. From that point on, winning the task is dependent on which team can bring in the most high rollers to pay up to $10,000 for a simple meal. In addition, trump send out Joan rivers with the special mission of deciding which team will get $10,000 as a prize for the better operation. That ends up going to Tenacity after Rod Blagoyovich, former ("they never proved anything") Illinois governor chatted up many customers before bothering to check on items to be served, including Joan Rivers' order which got cold. Trump was very adept in questioning Rod about this, but the cameras nailed him beyond any reasonable doubt. Both teams worked very hard and are satisfied that they did the best they could. They did indeed, as just a hair under $100,000 was raised for the charity of the winning Project Manager. Who will that  be?

The men raised about $30,000 more than the Women, so e3ven with the $10,000 prize from Trump Tenacity loses. The Men are excused and allowed to watch the Boardroom scene except for a short segment on closed-circuit TV from their suite. Trump is then headhunting asking every member of Tenacity who the weakest link was. Nobody wants to confess directly who that was, but there are hints that it was Carol Leifer for not using her intelligence for recruiting new customers past the point when the lines were too long for any new ones to be seated. When Holly Peete came out and talked to her Carol came inside and did a good job of serving at the counter. Cyndi Lauper in particular was portrayed as a leader interested in promoting the solidarity of her team and unwilling to offer up the required sacrifice to the gods. she should have been fired for this, but that honor of first person out of the contest went to Carol Leifer instead, as Trump made the decision on who to fire based on those tiny hints from Tenacity team members.

POSTSCRIPT
When the Pennsylvania Central railroad entered bankruptcy, Trump obtained the option on Grand Central Terminal. The 1975 deal included the dilapidated  119-acre railroad yards located on the west side of Manhattan along the Hudson River from West 30th Street to West 39 Street and West 59th Street to West 72nd Street. Although his initial plans to build apartments proved to be economically unfeasible, Trump promoted the location for a convention center. Trump was responsible for the designation and construction of the complex, subsequently named for Senator Jacob Javits.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 06:21:03 AM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 08:29:05 AM »
The second episode of CA3 is a winnrer. Trump explains that the project is to work with Kodak to publicize its dormant Share the Moments campaign through a storefront in a busy part of Manhattan. Chief Marketing Officer Jeff Hazlett and VP-Brand Marketing Leslie Doane are there to explain that the key performance mesaurements will be brand messaging and the experience the public has. Rock Solid selected Sinbad As Prlject Manager and Maria volunteered for Tenacity. She focused on the theme "What Makes You a Champion?" and imported some children from the Make-A-Wish Foundation, the charity she is supporting, for a photo shoot.

Rock Solid is off to a slow start as Sinbad is inept as a PM. He does no planning or scheduling. Micahel states that "Sinbad knows it but does not communicate well." That is not the ideal choice for a PM. Brett is showing signs of dropping out of the group, as he goes off on his own and vegatates while the others worry about him. Summer takes Cyndi on a field trip so the rest of Tenacity can get to work without interruption from her incessant questiosn.

Tenacity has its share of issues, with Cyndi Lauper being a little slow to grasp almost any concept. She eventually gets them, but it takes too long for her to go through a litany of questions. It is obvious that her learning style is not conducive to being part of a team. I predict that her team will attempt to dump her, not in this episode, but in a future one, because they are so annoyed with her. The Kodak executives visit and Jeff pronounced the "Share the Moment, Celebrate the Champion in You" theme decent.

Rock Solid decided that the way to go was to have its most well-known celebrities organized so that people can take picture with them. That means Michael Johnson (track), Goldberg (wrestling), Curtis Stone (culinary) and most of all in NYC Darryl Strawberry, both a Met and a Yankee, put in the 4 corners of the room and encouraged to display their personalities, which are truly positive to be with briefly (evenwhen limited to the miracle of television). Brett continued to feel underutilized and Sinbad told him to "just jump in". During the later judging, Michael stated that he was able to find multiple places to help out on his own, but Brett needed something more concrete. Brett put himself in a self-imposed time-out. Michael tells Sinbad "you better give Brett something to do."  The men spent hours around Manhattan in photogenic spots taking her own pictures in various combaintions of celebrities enjoying New York. I found this absolutely memorable and the pictures are used to make huge collages of photos for display around their "store". The first day of competition ends.

Sharon was sick and went home to rest day 1 and Day 2 she is still sick but comes anyway, assigning herself to handing out cupcakes. Bad choice!

The men settle on getting people in and out of the front door and Rod directing them to whichever champion they want to have their picture taken with. Rod stated that balloons are not part of their concept and definitely should be since every man (and woman too) deserves a balloom. He volunteered to go get some. When he returns he is particularly proud that he has found 
the goldenrod (do you get the inherent pun there?) color, which is part of Kodak's official colors (the women get yellow balloons) as well as other colors. I don't believe that Kodak will really cared about this fine point at juding time. Brett shows up what he claimed was 10 mintues late (I don't find that believable as Goldberg had tried to call his cell phone to get him up and out on time and failed to get an answer).  Brett apologized to his mates. Each of the Rock Solid celebrities is pumped and ready to interact with the visitors who choose to go to them. Micahel had made tentative arrangements for a 16' x 3' banner of photos, but Sinbad was responsible for the final arrangments with the printer. The printer say he just can't make one that big but has not communicated that until it is almost too late. Sinbad implores him to get done whatever he can. With 5 minutes to spare a beautiful 15' x 3' banner arrives for display on the most prominent wall. I swear that Trump  (or is is Mark Burnett the producer?) delights in pulling strings behind the scenes to provide interesting tests of survival skills for the teams and individual competitors.

The storefronts opened and the public streams (well, sort of) in. Summer had trained the prior day on how to operate all the Kodak equipment so she was available to demonstrate it. Rock Solid has paid no attention to the Kodak equipment other than to display it without any demos or attention. Both teams will have the Kodak executives visiting sometime but there are also two Secret Shoppers who will get and comunicate the real skinny on what wa going on in both stores.

The power starts going out intermittently (I suspect Trump had something to do with that too), which makes it very difficult in the women's store because the equipment to print photos cannot operate. Cyndi Lauper fills in with song and did a nice job of providing a memorable experience for visitors. The Tenacity store flow was not properly planned and there was a huge jam in front of the photo printer. Rock Solid solved this problem by giving all who got their picture taken a postcard sized set of instructions on where to go at a nearby location to get their photo printed. However, their follow through on this was poor as many (including both Secret Shoppers) did not get this card and did not end up with their photos.

Jeff provides a summary of his experiences while in both stores:
Tenacity's store had lots of chaos, with a huge line at the printer for photos.They did a great job in sharing the product.
Rock Solid's store had no branding experience, but their celebrities were well-utilized and there was great sharing. They had a brillliant concept of not bottlenecking the traffic flow in their store with people waiting for pictures to print, but their assuring that visitors got a card and knew what to do was poor.
So, how do you translate those statements into a decision on which team won and which team lost? The producers and Trump are careful to not telegraph the final outcome and ruin the suspense of this show. You can't tell at this point who will win.

Jeff was asked by Trump who did the best job among the women and Leslie responded that Summer did. Sinbad got the same opportunity at the start of the Boardroom and he nominated Goldberg and particuarly Darryl. Trump asked him which team he played for was the benefactor of his true allegiance. Strawberry hit a home run by answering "New York." Michael stated that Rock Solid was disorganized at the beginning, which I assume to mean the entire first day, and excellent on the second day. Rod was asked about his role. He was proud of being "the balloon man" and rightly so. Trump then did his ususal b.s. of having each side comment on the "product of" (pictures taken by) the other team. Each one does not want to admit that the other team might have done a good job, so we always get ridiculous platitudes when this comes up.

Trump has reached the moment that he is going to share with the teams who won. It is Tenacity, who was strongly preferred by the Kodak executives. They had fewer highs than Rock Solid but many fewer lows, so I guess that is why they did. The women are excused and Maria (who some of the women did not initially believe had the wisdom and experience to take on the PM role properly) is congratulated for their success and will take a check for $20,000 for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Tenacity is excused.

The men hunker down to find out who the person eliminated is. The odds on favorite is always the PM and Brett had a lot of negative press from his actions or non-actions. There was a lot of desultory conversation about who was most responsible for the loss, but ultimately the system took over and Micahel, Curtis, Darryl and Goldberg were exscused as they had all perfomred well. Sinbad chose Brett (obvious) and Rod (no reason in my opinion to have him in the Boardroom so that and this poor decision may have contributed to what happens). In the end, it was the PM who had to walk the plank for the loss. Sinbad was eliminated.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 08:50:22 AM »
With 5 minutes to spare a beautiful 15' x 3' banner arrives for display on the most prominent wall. I swear that Trump  (or is is Mark Burnett the producer?) delights in pulling strings behind the scenes to provide interesting tests of survival skills for the teams and individual competitors.

I think you're 100% correct. Thanks for an excellent recap!

This is going to be just as good as the first season. I like the way Trump is using "secret shoppers" to get a better idea of how each team is doing. Teams will be aware now though but figuring out who they are will still be difficult.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 10:31:34 AM »
CA3 episode 3 was another barn burner. We saw the usual gibberish to highlight personalities of the individual competitors at the start after the recap of the prior week. Marisa was shown delivering a $20,000 check to the cute male 5 year old representative of the Make A Wish Foundation. He told her his wish is to meet Donald Trump. She responded that he will be flown to New York City for the grand finale and meet not only Trump but the entire cast of CA3.

So Trump has a terrible lead-in to the day's challenge, which is that identity theft is a big problem and you can use a new combination of a Lifelock Identity Theft Protection product (represented by Todd) and a Norton 310 software system (represented by Janice). The task is to create a 4 page advertorial to support the product introduction of combined Lifelock/Norton product/service. So, what is an advertorial? That is a key question the women just swept under the rug and the men grappled with, but it eluded them. The standard definition of "advertorial" is an advertisement written in the form of an objective article for presentation in a printed publication, usually designed to look like a legitimate and independent news  story. Which team does that best? The criteria are creativity, celebrity usage and quality of the presentation. Don Jr. and Gavin Maloof (owner of the Sacramento Kings) will be the Eyes and Ears for Donald Trump. Ivanka must have been away getting prepared for her recent marriage. The winning Project Manger will get $20,000 for their charity.

Summer and Michael are named as Project Managers. Meetings with Todd and Janice, the executives who will judge the outcome, do not go well as Cyndi Lauper needs a zipper on her mouth to prevent her from asking irrelevant (to the immediate task) questions and Brett is out somewhere in left field. Cyndi, Brett, and Rod are all incredibly colorful characters and all of them are out of control almost all the time. However, Mark Burnett knows the value of such characters and so does Donald Trump, so we will be subject to those 3 on a continuing basis until about the middle of CA3. At that point, their ratings impact will have worn off and they will be swiftly eliminated as already deserved. Come back to look at this thread in mid May and see how many of those three are still competing. My belief is that it will be zero.

Summer and Michael promptly choose Sharon and Curtis as the Celebrity Spokesperson for their team. Both decisions were criticized, it is not clear how publicly, by other team members. Michael knows that Brett will be a special challenge for him to manage and Summer knows the same about Cyndi with her constant disruption of meetings with her need to know non-relevant information. Rod just can't help himself trying to buttonhole everyone he meets with self-promotion. They will not be on your jury of public opinion, Governor, so stop it.Summer deals with Cyndi to send her off with Marisa to do some manual (but honest) labor carrying carpets for the photo shoot.

Photographers arrive at both teams really before they are ready for them. Rock Solid is closer to being ready while Tenacity still had no concept of what they were trying to accomplish. Rod is assigned by Michael to do some extremely simple word processing, but Rod is no wizard at this, finishing one paragraph in about one half hour. Michael has the last word on this: "My 9 year old can type faster than Rod." He has to be given some other menial work so like a toddler he does not get into trouble, so Darryl in charge of props for the photo shoot is to supervise him. Tenacity finally comes up with the theme of Sharon as The Protector who prevents bad things from happening. She gets high marks for her presentation in the photo shoot. Rock Solid features Goldberg bare-chested with growls and grimaces, Michael in his sprinter's uniform and Curtis being all-around Family Man. Everyone likes the photos except Brett, who does not like the focus of them. Goldberg at the end of his shoot embraces Michael and Michael claims there is "Goldberg Goo" left all over his best shirt. That's a really good one!

The teams each have a graphic designer assigned to them to do the grunt-work in translating their design concepts into real images on the PC. The women's is not shown but the men have Lee, a sexy young woman as theirs. She gets a LOT of camera time. Michael and Brett duke it out over the difference between ad and advertorial. Michael said a campaign Brett developed on his own is an ad, not an advertorial, and that Brett does not understand what they were trying to accomplish. Gavin comes by to view their progress and Michael notes that Gavin looks confused (that's not good). Gavin states that Rock Solid has a good concept and a clear message but is too wordy and not simple and concise. My own observation is that pages 2 and 3 of their advertorial at that time was very compressed, impossible to see piles of information instead of a few bullet points that summarize Rock Solid's message. Tenacity's presentation was too airy/fairy, with lots of white space and little content, but their image of Sharon Osbourne as Mother, Manager and Protector was much stronger than how Curtis came across. Holly had responsibility for putting all the details of the Tenacity presentation together and she has no idea whether she succeeded in getting the last-minute changes in properly (She didn't.).

Right from the beginning of the Tenacity presentation, Sharon does a good job but Summer saved the day. She has memorized the presentation good enough that she gives it effectively without any notes or on-screen slides. The 4 pages of copy are easy enough to see stand-alone. Rock Solid presents and Brett says he can't read the screen for pages 2 and 3. That is all too true as nobody could. Page 4 finished with a large picture of Curtis and his photogenic family. It is obvious that neither team has given a first-class presentation, so who will win?

The executives give Trump a summary of what they observed (women succeeded in establishing an emotional connection; men had much more information but some of it was suspect) but the outcome was not revealed until the Boardroom. We have the usual b.s. of having the men looking at the hard copy of the women's presentation and the women looking at the hard copy of the men's. Michael said that the Tenacity presentation was an ad but not an advertorial. It did not matter. Trump stated that the executives chose Tenacity's presentation as the winner. The Men's team does not appear to be rock solid right now. Michael started with a preemptive move by saying that Rod was not the reason Rock solid lost. Trump gets to say nonsensically that Rod can't attack Darryl, but Michael was somehow right on top of that one and immediately quipped "and Darryl is bigger than him." Trump raised the question of "who should have been the Rock Solid celebrity spokesperson?" He thinks Goldberg would have been better because of his massive physical presence conveying the image of security. I think he was right. Summer as winning PM got the $20K plus an unnamed percentage of the sales of the combination product/service for her charity Right to Play.

Michael says the team as a whole was the star and "Brett wasn't as hard to mange as I expected" and also "Darryl may not appear to be contributing but he gets it done." to preempt potential attacks against Darryl. If you look at the men's team on this, Goldberg and Curtis are safe due to having done good jobs, Rod and Brett would be chosen for the Boardroom but be judged to not deserve elimination and Darryl was a nonentity this episode and would not have been affected. That leaves Michael as Project Manager to take the hit and be eliminated. He clearly believed that he deserved it. However, fate intervened and it did not happen that way.

Darryl volunteered to "Let me go." Trump asked him if he was tired of Celebrity Apprentice 3. That was true, but not the real reason, which is that he believed his teammates had outshined him in desire and effort, particularly Michael. Darryl did not want Michael to be eliminated if he could take his place. Trump's incisive questions brought all of this out, no doubt aided by knowledge of things said on camera that did not make the telecast but that he had reviewed before the Boardroom. Trump told Michael that he is very lucky and just has to accept that and become worthy of the sacrifice Darryl was making. And Trump fired Darryl.

I believe Darryl made the right move. His lack of energy, enthusiasm and motivation made it apparent that he would never be the winner of CA3. He thought Michael could (he's right) and so he sacrificed himself to make that possible. I call that a real classy move and I applaud Darryl for making it.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 10:42:02 AM by apskip »

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 05:06:38 PM »
Another great recap apskip. We were babysitting and missed a lot because my son's TV is on its last picture tube, this helps fill in what we missed.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
TexasLady, I missed it too because there was too much on with Life, Masterpiece Classic and Underground Boss all on at the same time as CA3. Fortunately, you can watch the 85 minutes of real show on the Internet using this:

http://www.nbc.com/the-apprentice/video/deep-seated-in-security/1212979/

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:44:07 AM by apskip »

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 10:35:53 PM »
TexasLady, I missed it too because there was too mcuh on with Life, Masterpiece Classic and Underground boss all on at the same time as CA3. Fortunately, you can watch the 85 minutes of real show on the Internet using this:

http://www.nbc.com/the-apprentice/video/deep-seated-in-security/1212979/

Thanks!  :hugs:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 09:39:27 PM »
I had a recap of ep. 4 completed but not saved due to proofreading and it was eaten by my PC. I have no idea when I will be able to redo it.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 10:54:34 PM »
I am going to redo my recap from memory, but no doubt things will get lost in translation and it will be shorter.

CA3, ep. 4 had Summer deliver a check for $20K to a her charity Right to Play (supporting children worldwide) and she announced that Lifelock/Norton will donate $10 to Right to Play from each sale of the combined product. Trump calls the partying group back from eating, drinking and mingling to the Boardroom. First he wanted each team to nominate a PM. Rock Solid chose Rod, primarily because Michael wanted Rod on the firing line for winning or losing. I think Michael and Curtis want to get rid of Rod and this is a way to accomplish that. On Tenacity, Selita speaks up and volunteers for PM. rod and Selita will be limoed to Teterboro Airport for a flight to an unknown location in the U.S. the next morning. Trump says it will be an exercise in remote communications skills, as there will be a big delay in when each PM can communicate with their team. George Ross and Eric Burnett (of CNBC) will be the Eyes and Ears for Trump.

Rod and Selita get on the plane, Selita brings a change of clothes so that she can go from fashion model to comfortable on the way home. They find out from a Trump video that they are headed for Orlando and the task will be to create an Interactive 3-Dimensional Display of Universal Studio's new "Wizardry World of Happy Potter" for showing to selected Harry Potter fanatics. Rod has little experience with a PC, but does know how to turn it on. I guess he might be able to do rudimentary browsing, taking much more time than Selita does. They both researched the Harry Potter collection of stories to come up with preliminary design ideas. When they reach the hangar in Orlando, they are allowed to make the first call to their team. Later, after visiting Universal Studios and touring the site of "Wizardry World of Harry Potter" they call a second time. The executives from Universal educate them and answer their questions.

Cyndi and Holly have been duking it out, as Holly has little regard for Cyndi and the feeling is mutual. Cyndi points out that she was the director of 5 music videos, so she has more actual experience in this sort of thing than Holly. Despite that, I would much rather have Holly on my team if I had to make a choice. Selita gives out assignments. So does Rod, who appoints Bret to be responsible for design, Goldberg for graphics and Michael (obviously underutilized because Rod wants to minimize his role) as timekeeper and accountant.

The Rock Solid design by Bret is innovative and creative. The women play it safer, with Selita's concepts in control. The designs are being turned into reality by a team of carpenters plus the grunt labor of team members. Selita makes some design changes when she returns. Bret is distraught that Rod has set him up as the fall guy, but there is nothing he can do about it. He is stuck with that risk.

The presentation for Tenacity has Selita in the lead role, with all the others doing something important. I personally felt the women's presentation was, to coin a phrase, "rock solid." Rod gives it too, with Curtis as the Professor who guides kids into the castle, Rod as the Headmaster, Michael as the creepy guy (another attempt to minimize him) and Goldberg as the tree (with many good lines). The kids go through each one one at a time and offer their comments. They love the tree (so do the execs), but find the Harry Potter facts from the tree not accurate. The men are more creative and the women do not do enough incorporation of the theme park into their presentation to satisfy the execs.

It's time for the Boardroom. Trump asks Selita who was the weak link, but she is not buying that one at all and says (like Tenacity PMs previously) NONE and gets away with that. Trump asks her to tell who she would bring into the Boardroom but she is ahead of him and says that decision will be made at the proper time and not before. Trump accepts it as feedback from a worthy adversary.  The Men are asked for feedback on their PM. Goldberg says Rod was below the average PM of the past. Curtis, who wanted Rod outs, was diplomatic while Michael was more bold.  Erin and George offer comments to say that the execs liked the men, but the kids had mixed results. However, Trump intercedes with the statement that the women won because the kids selected them (not the execs who went with the men). So it is a closer loss than I expected and much of the credit for that has to go to Bret and Goldberg, but definitely not to Rod. Tenacity wins; Selita gets $20K for Shine a Light on Sierra Leone, where she has visited extensively in an effort to help children there. Rod picks Michael and Curtis to go to the boardroom even though Trump urged him to consider Bret. That makes it 2 against one there and Rod also has the stigma of being a losing PM. They just tell it like it was. Rod was undercut by two stupid things said in the Boardroom. when Selita had earlier truthfully answered Trump's question about Rod's behavior on the flight back (napping) Rod tried to weasel out of it but did not succeed. Also, Rod was mispronouncing "wizardry" using a different word, indicating that he did not know the most basic thing about his task.

Trump was slick in leading the  questioning where he wanted it to go. Rod had no chance. He was eliminated gracefully.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:56:37 AM by apskip »

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 01:36:06 PM »
Excellent recap, Apskip.  Rod may be an excellent politician, but he's not much of a communicator.  He was almost as bad as Sinbad.  The men in general this season have had a hard time expressing themselves.  It will be interesting to see if it gets any better.

As much as I love her, Cyndi Lauper is also sometimes hard to follow.  The women, however, seem to have found ways to work around this.

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• I Live at RFF
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 03:40:57 PM »
BYE BYE Governor! :waves:  however it should have been Brett! and he said it all along if this goes bad I'll be going down for it!

none of the guys even though they knew the gov.  was technically challenged did anything to help themselves!!  it was almost like a concensus to just let him flop on his own out there!

I wonder who will be the fall guy next week.?? :duno:

i think it's a good season though! :tup:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 05:50:43 PM »
ugot2bekidnmeny,

How interesting that you thought Bret should have been eliminated instead of Rod! The governor was consistently the most inept, bumbling, useless and only-interested-in-gladhanding Apprentice participant I can remember. Why would Curtis and Michael want to keep him around to screw up future tasks? They just gave him all the rope he needed and let him hang himself. Their strategy clearly was to not support a player that they wanted off  their team. Unfortunately, the only way to achieve that was to let him fail so totally that Trump could not rationalize keeping Rod.

I am no fan of Bret's but he did bring a lot of creative input to the Men's Interactive Display design which, according to the Universal Studios executives, was superior to the Selita's and others on Tenacity's design. He deserved to be retained for at least one more episode. Nobody made any case that Michael or Curtis should have even been taken to the Boardroom. This was one of those situations where Rod should have just fallen on his sword.

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• I Live at RFF
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 07:07:47 PM »
The objective in Celebrity Apprentice is to have the WINNING TEAM first and formost! so as a TEAM you do what you have to in order to WIN! 

This was NOT accomplished by the mens team. Not Even after the GOV. offered to be Project Manager did anyone of his TEAM MATES  give him a quick tutorial on how to even use a blackberry! :groan:

way to go team!!! NOT!!!!!! (:;)

I was only RESTATING what Brett himself said. That if this fails he should be the one that goes.   NO matter what- you can only win for charity if you are a TEAM at this junction of the game!

once the teams dwindle down and "merge/single out " then by all means each person should be for themselves.  thus throwing the weakest Link on the Mahogany board table to be slayed by the almighty realty Mogul Mr. Trump!

It's for charity and everyone should be checking their egos at the door and helping their team mates out!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 10:22:16 PM »
Darn it! This is the 3rd week in a row that I've had to miss CA. I have them taped though. I can't comment on who, what or why someone was fired but I felt like Rod was holding back, trying to stay out of controversy and conflict. He has a law degree and has been a politician all of his working career so it makes sense that he doesn't have a lot of skills that the others might have. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up tomorrow.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 11:18:02 AM »
CA3, ep. 5

This opens with Selita, last episode's winning project manager, stating that "we've won 3 in a row" and Tenacity is cruising with good teamwork and camaraderie. Others disagree with the camaraderie. Michael stated that Rock Solid must work together and be organized, but he does not think Bret is up to that. Selita gets to deliver the $20K winning project manager's check to Shine a Light on Sierra Leone. Trump asks Michael what he misses most about Rod no longer being available. Michael has a big grin on his face and does not answer the question for fear of self-incrimination.

It's time to have Project Managers nominated by their teams, but first Trump announced that Sharon is still too ill to participate and Cyndi is going to the White House for a celebration, which she says is for the signing  by President O'Bama of the Hate Crimes Prevention Act into to honor Matthew Shepard by President O'Bama. The men only can choose Goldberg or Curtis and Curtis is the man. The women can choose Holly. No doubt she stepped up when she heard that Cyndi would not be there to distract and torment her for one day. George Ross and Ivanka are playing the Eyes and Ears roles.

Trump introduced the task on a basketball court by saying that it is to promote a new right Guard product and Eric and Ben from that company will be the executives in charge and deciding who wins. They stated the criteria of creativity, use of the celebrities and the overall presentation. A 30 second commercial and a 10 second Internet ad (intended to be viral) will be created. He also says that Right Guard is the official deodorant of the National Basketball Association and former NBA stars Scottie Pippen and Clyde Drexler will be assigned to work one with each team.  Before anything further can be done, Trump took a basketball, strode to the foul line and hit the 15 foot shot with a swish. He slyly remarked "I hope you got that on camera." Right. Was that take 25 or take 50? However, he was not about to be overshadowed by any of the celebrities, particularly the men. He offered $10,000 to the winning PM of the team what got the first basket (I believe for fairness giving the other team the chance to tie if the team making it had gone first).  Goldberg, Curtis, Michael and Bret have many talents  and Goldberg and Michael are world-class athletes) but clearly shooting a basketball is not among them. The women did better, but Selita, Summer and Cyndi did not come close either. Holly had a shot that appeared to be in but it trickled over the rim and out. Up walks "little Selita in her 6 inch stilettos" and she banked it off the backboard straight in. Holly's charity wins the $10,000. That would be the HollyRod Foundation she founded with her husband former NFL quarterback Rodney Peete to provide comfort and medical, physical, and emotional support for those with Parkinson's disease and autism.

Each team meets with Eric and Ben to gain critical information. Have you noticed that when really top-level executives are the liaison to a Celebrity Apprentice episode they are introduced by the Donald by their full names while when you have them introduced by first names only you can assume they are at best low-level Vice-Presidents? I have noticed this. If they are listening carefully teams learn that the target audience is young, male and sports-oriented.

Tenacity is impacted by a brainstorm that Holly has right at the beginning of the task that focused attention on "the first time a boy gets the funk" and on his mother. That would be the centerpoint of the Tenacity 30 second commercial, which has a boy being lifted in the air by Pippen and deodorant rolled onto his armpits for the first time. The women have the usual trials and tribulations of creating a proper space for the commercial shoot. They must select and move a large group of props. The four Tenacity teammates are doing this as George arrived for his observation, but Selita had taken a break to figuratively "stroke" and be self-appointed guardian of Pippen's well-being. George noted that she was not contributing to the hard work.  Cyndi called in from Washington DC and delivered over the phone her essay on her child's experience with "the funk for the first time." Holly made an executive decision to edit a 10 second middle segment of the commercial in place of the 10 second viral video they had already completed. The editing process extended to 2 hours the following day. Cyndi returned for the 2 hours and offered to add to the song recording track necessitated by Holly writing and singing a jingle. Holly was offered the opportunity by Maria to check out the final product but just delegated approval of it to Maria, but when it was too late she interjected herself to see it and complain that it was not done right. Holly had been working on the final script for the presentation, so she was required to make a value decision that could only be avoided if Tenacity had gotten to that point earlier.

Rock Solid opened their task with Curtis asking Michael which team Clyde Drexler played for in the NBA. I myself, a big NBA fan but focused mostly on the Eastern Conference, could not remember that it was Houston (indeed Houston U.'s Phi Phi Slamma Jamma plus the Houston Rockets but also starting with Portland in the NBA) Rock Solid has nobody really creative except for Bret and he is like a machine spewing out a wide range of different ideas but with no focus. They start down one path and send Michael and Goldberg to the prop shop, then Curtis got feedback from a production assistant type that there was a reasonable probability that their design could not be finished in time (I sense Mark Burnett or Donald Trump orchestrating this here). Curtis changed his mind when Bret came up with something new and was about to change the prop list 180 degrees for Michael and Goldberg when he decided that he had to take the risk and stick with the original plan. Bret was really pissed and threw a tantrum. Through all of this, Bret was weepy over the fact that his 9 year old daughter Rainbow had just been diagnosed with diabetes and he could not be home to support her. Well golly, Bret, maybe she will live for another week or two until you get eliminated form the celebrity Apprentice! This has all the signs of a decision by either Mark Burnett or Donald Trump to put this rubbish (Bret's extreme emotionalism) on the air for this episode. The focus of the Men's 30 second commercial is a cute Clyde Drexler and 2 kids. The 10 second viral is better and used the tag line "your only defense is Right Guard Defense 5."

At the presentations, the executives said that Tenacity had too much focus on the mother and not enough on the product and it was not aimed at the target audience. They did have a great jingle and a very good commercial, but their repeated material in the 10 second viral video was an opportunity lost.  They said that Rock Solid was excellent at product focus, the use of Clyde Drexler and the testimonials of the men and their commercial was good.  So, what does that mean on who will win? As always, the producers feel like they have to leave you hanging.

After the presentations, Michael apparently got a call from home about his son Sebastian, who I discovered from research is age 4. I am guessing that it was his wife Kerry calling about "personal problems" that Michael would not discuss. Michael told Trump he had to go home. Trump responded that he understood but if he did then he was out of CA3 because it would be unfair to excuse anyone for multiple episodes (I believe they do a new episode every one to two days while filming to conserve the time of the celebrities).

In the Boardroom, Trump had George and Ivanka repeat the perspectives of the executives. He then announced that Rock Solid had won. this caused some considerable sniping on Tenacity. Curtis had won $20K for Food for America. The long knives were out with Cyndi repeating her previous personality conflict with Holly. Trump asked Holly who made the decision on reusing material for the 10 second viral video. Holly strongly responded that it was her decision and was made because that material was better than what it replaced. Trump say it was a major reason Tenacity lost. the usual Trump questioning on "who was the weakest link?" could not be evaded this time and the women knew it. Maria volunteered in her meekest tone that Selita did not contribute as much energy. Holly seconded that and told the story of the editing mistake. Selita defended herself in what I regarded to be an appropriate way, but Trump and George were out for blood. George supported what Maria and Holly said with his own observation. When Trump asked Holly who were the 2 weakest, she without hesitation said Selita and Maria. The Selita story was already public, so she had to explain to Trump the incident with Maria which was really minor. In essence, Holly had to make a choice between Maria and Summer and I suspect she felt Summer was the easiest one to beat in later episodes. Holly asked if she could nominate Cyndi because of her disruption of the brief period she was "helping." Trump told her a firm NO and also made a public statement that if Sharon did not return to the set soon she would be out, following Darryl and Michael. Cyndi wanted to comment but used some rare discretion and kept her mouth mostly shut. If she had, it would have cost her in future episodes, so I think she did the right thing. Cyndi and Summer were excused.

In the final conclave between Trump, Ivanka and George, they all agreed that Selita's lack of energy and fighting spirit was not going to allow her to last through future rounds. He eliminated her without much further ado.

I was appalled by that decision. Maria did not do enough of the task badly to really screw anything up; the part she may have messed up was minor and nobody noticed except Holly. Holly as the PM was totally responsible for all key decisions. It was Holly's vision at the beginning and the "use the middle of the 30 second commercial as the viral video" decision which caused the defeat of Tenacity. If either one of those had been made differently, I bet Tenacity would have won. Holly had a strong controlling personality, which because it is similar to Cyndi Lauper's causes the clashes between those too. Maria is also similar. Selita and Summer were more low-key but better organized and they got it done through more teamwork and less micromanagement. I know that except for her beauty Selita is less dysfunctional so she did not make the best TV, but she was solid.  I have the best answer to the question of "who was the weakest link?" This week, for the first time I can remember, it was DONALD TRUMP!

So, where does that leave the viewers of CA3 with respect to who might win? The strongest player of Rock Solid, Michael, is gone, leaving Goldberg (who is still a cipher so far other than the brief glimpses that he is a really good guy and quite talented in a number of different things) and Curtis (who is more of the smooth team-oriented operator). Bret has no chance because he has no respect from his teammates and his creativity is overbalanced by his flakiness and lack of organization. The strongest of the women, if she doesn't stay too sick, is now Sharon. Cyndi is a loudmouth who may know everybody in New York City (all 8 million of them) but also does not have the respect of her teammates. Holly deserves to and will suffer from her loss in this episode. Summer and Maria will be waiting in the swings and they could positively surprise me. I hope one or both of them do. If Sharon comes back (and I predict that she will as it will lead right into the June start of the NBC summer hit "America's Got Talent" where she plays the role of the "I like everyone" judge (I forgot, it's a reality show and she is just being herself) along with her sidekick David Hasselfhoff) she will be a contender because she is the voice of reason.