Author Topic: TAR15 EP7:"This is Not My Finest Hour" (The Netherlands)  (Read 94227 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: TAR15 EP7:"This is Not My Finest Hour" (The Netherlands)
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2009, 09:59:03 AM »
I think riding the bikes dressed as a tater would have been cooler  :casey

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2009, 02:53:52 PM »
CBS has just released a press bundle at www.cbspressexpress.com, and in a press release for the November Sweeps highlights, it included the following:

Sunday, Nov. 8   THE AMAZING RACE (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT)
While racing throughStockholm, one unlucky team faces a speed bump and, for the first time in the series' history, teams return to the site of an infamous roadblock.  Phil Keoghan hosts.

Thus, we have confirmation that the leg in The Netherlands is a NEL.

The press release itself is a Word document, so while I can link to it you have to download  it and open it in MS Word,
-- theschnauzers

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2009, 02:56:21 PM »
CBS has just released a press bundle at www.cbspressexpress.com, and in a press release for the November Sweeps highlights, it included the following:

Sunday, Nov. 8   THE AMAZING RACE (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT)
While racing throughStockholm, one unlucky team faces a speed bump and, for the first time in the series' history, teams return to the site of an infamous roadblock.  Phil Keoghan hosts.

Thus, we have confirmation that the leg in The Netherlands is a NEL.

The press release itself is a Word document, so while I can link to it you have to download  it and open it in MS Word,

Nice find!  :yess:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2009, 03:20:31 PM »
Thanks Coutzy, if there is a gnome I suppose they could have left it in the car. So Tiffany and Maria are in 1st place? we see them  leaving then arriving back at the windmill right?  :yess:
Dutch did not see them, I believe he saw some of the teams headed to the dyke's where the detours were, he saw Sam/Dan then Meghan/Cheyne then the Globetrotters. We know at one point Ericka and Brian were behind, as pointed out by Chateau it looks like only 5 vehicles at the windmill and we see Ericka and Brian's Volendam still on the hangers so..and then with Ericka's breakdown at the Roadblock it fits.
Roadblock
windmill/ to detours >> Farmersgolf or Farmers dance (?)
pitstop somewhere Groningen per CBS map
NEL/Brian/Ericka << unless Maria and Tiffany really screwed up headed to the pitstop then this is what I'm thinking if the above scenario does not play out that way.

I've got that the Roadblock comes after the windmill, bikes, and dance/golf Detour.   :neener:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2009, 04:12:18 PM »
Okay Chateau but I was under the impression that all teams have to wear the Volendam clothing and we see the Trotters having a confessional while still dressed in that clothing so maybe the golfers don't have to dress in the clothing just the dancers?  Ericka and Brian have on their regular clothes at the RB so that was my thinking of why it came first but you know I never doubt you :)  :jam:
We know Matt/Gary, The Poker girls and The Trotters (and dance) are for sure wearing the clothing and riding the bikes. We really need a promo  :knuckles: I'm sick of looking for it already  :lol:

Offline River

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2009, 04:51:58 PM »
Hi, long time lurker, but I just have to say good job to all of the TAR Detectives, and the great job they have done here, I can't wait to see this episode with the Globetrotters doing the dance. Is it really a climb that Erika is afraid of?
 :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2009, 05:00:22 PM »
I am with Chateau...

Tower is a get a clue task IMO, then bicycle is a general task, THEN  roadblock unknown but at location below.

Then>>Detour Dance or Farmers golf

DUTCH SAMEDHI SPOILERS:

When they reached this point they stepped of their bycicle and followed the following route

At the end point they had to do a brainteaser of some kind, because they stayed there for a while.

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,20966.msg484730.html#msg484730
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2009, 06:26:27 PM »
I'm not trying to be too sneaky  :lol:

I only know that the shot of Brian & Ericka looking at the bell twoer was taken at the near end of the day.  So, since I am stubbornly sticking with the idea that they arrive and have to wait for their cars to be available in the morning, that means this afternoon shot has to be after the dress-up/bike-ride and Detour part.  I guess the bell tower does not have to be a Roadblock.

So for me it's bell tower at the end of the leg.  Now about that confessional ...  :duno:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2009, 06:57:16 PM »
...........keeps looking for the confessional area zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2009, 08:20:41 PM »
I know I've been giving false spoilers all season, sorry I'm just too excited.

But it looks like a globetrotters are in a garden behind or in front of a building, or maybe a hostel. Just figure out which one has a small garden in them, and more likely, someone near possible pit stop locations, and you have your confessional location.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2009, 08:28:33 PM »
When every building looks the same its not that easy redskevin88 but ours has some unique features, the straw or wooden doll on the window, the neatly placed wooden shoes... a windchime, lol. I can't even begin to tell you how many buildings I've looked at but your more than welcomed to help.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2009, 08:34:49 PM »
I'm not trying to be too sneaky  :lol:

I only know that the shot of Brian & Ericka looking at the bell twoer was taken at the near end of the day.  So, since I am stubbornly sticking with the idea that they arrive and have to wait for their cars to be available in the morning, that means this afternoon shot has to be after the dress-up/bike-ride and Detour part.  I guess the bell tower does not have to be a Roadblock.

So for me it's bell tower at the end of the leg.  Now about that confessional ...  :duno:

Why couldn't the bell tower be the start? ???  Geographically it seems to make more sense to me to START in Groningen, then continue on to Zoutcamp for the rest of the tasks. Esp since it appears that they spent the next 36 hours in Farmer's ( Golf ) Brown's campground.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2009, 08:53:20 PM »
So the pitstop is in Zuidhorn, Groningen?

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2009, 09:19:32 PM »
I'm thinking the leg ends in Groningen. 

Or something very nearby so that they can still basically say it is Groningen on the map they put up.

NoluckBoston

« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2009, 10:18:08 PM »
...........keeps looking for the confessional area zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I doubt this is it, but I put it out there.

"Eelde

Next-door to the museum is the "Nijsinghhuis", a beautiful restored seventeenth-century building. Or visit the "Gebroeders Wietzes Klompenmuseum" (clog museum). As well as clogs, you can see the manufacturing process and the tools that were, and still are, used in the workshop."

This site says there is a Clog Museum is near by. I looked at a lot of photos, but cant find to many of the outside or a garden courtyard.
http://us.holland.com/e/8560/Around%20Groningen.php
http://www.klompenmuseum.nl/engels/eng_general.htm

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2009, 11:25:36 PM »
I am going to try to estimate when teams released from the pit stop, then assess the probable flight combinations they will take.

I have assigned the tasks and transportation involved in Ep. 6 (Dubai II) the following approximate durations (in minutes):

Taxi to Dubai Creek 15
Rowing to Yacht and Back 30 except Tiffany 15 and Brian 45
Open Briefcase 0 except for Herb/Nate 85
Taxi to Old Souk Abra Station 15
Walk to DETOURs 10 except for Sam/Dan who must have lost 15 minutes in transit and had about 25
GOLD Detour Marie/Tiffany 5, Sam/Dan 5  or
GLASS other 5 teams average maybe 60 except Mika/Canaan 30 Gary/Matt 75 and Brian/Ericka 120 due partly to trying both DETOURs
Taxi to Atlantis Resort 15
Walk to Leap of Faith 10
Leap of Faith 5 except for Mika/Canaan 50
Walk to Pit Stop 5

TOTALS for Maria/Tiffany 1 hour 50 minutes
TOTALS for Sam/Dan 2 hours 5 minutes
TOTALS for Cheyne/Meghan, Gary/Matt 2 hours 45 minutes
TOTALS for Brian/Ericka 3 hours 45 minutes
TOTALS for Nate/Herb 4 hours 15 minutes
TOTALS for Mika/Canaan 3 hours 0 minutes

Add in 12 hours for the pit stop between legs 6 and 7 you have this for release times (add 20 minutes to these to get to Dubai International Airport and 30 minutes minimum to book and board a flight):

Cheyne/Meghan release around 1102pm July 28
Maria/Tiffany release about 137am July 29
Sam/Dan release about 139am
Brian/Ericka release about 144am
Gary/Matt release about 145am
Nate/Herb arrive about 252am

That leads to the following implications for flights teams will get, assuming that the pit stop is 12 hours:

Cheyne/Meghan can make the nonstop KL428 DXB AMS 0140 0600

Maria/Tiffany, Sam/Dan, Brian/Ericka and Gary/Matt will just miss the Swiss connection through Zurich and they will get OS840 DXB VIE 0240 0605 connecting in Vienna to OS371 0720 0915.

That leaves in deep trouble Nate/Herb, who can do no better than waiting for the nonstop KL430 DXB AMS 0800 1220.

This is an anti-bunching approach, but I figure that sometime this race World Race Productions will give us just a glimpse of a real, non-bunched race (then take it all back by bunching for the remainder of AR15).

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2009, 12:04:51 AM »

The hood's definitely mad at them!  :lol:

Somehow, I think TAR is going to have yet another non-standard pit stop, and force them to take the 8:00 flight. Besides Phil getting ahead of everyone else, non-stop flights are cheaper.  :duno:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2009, 02:13:46 AM »
I am going to try to estimate when teams released from the pit stop, then assess the probable flight combinations they will take.

I have assigned the tasks and transportation involved in Ep. 6 (Dubai II) the following approximate durations (in minutes):

Taxi to Dubai Creek 15
Rowing to Yacht and Back 30 except Tiffany 15 and Brian 45
Taxi to Old Souk Abra Station 15
Walk to DETOURs 10 except for Sam/Dan who must have lost 15 minutes in transit and had about 25
GOLD Detour Marie/Tiffany 5, Sam/Dan 5  or
GLASS other 5 teams average maybe 60 except Mika/Canaan 30 Gary/Matt 75 and Brian/Ericka 120 due partly to trying both DETOURs
Taxi to Atlantis Resort 15
Walk to Leap of Faith 10
Leap of Faith 5 except for Mika/Canaan 50
Walk to Pit Stop 5

TOTALS for Maria/Tiffany 1 hour 50 minutes
TOTALS for Sam/Dan 2 hours 5 minutes
TOTALS for Cheyne/Meghan, Gary/Matt 2 hours 45 minutes
TOTALS for Brian/Ericka 3 hours 45 minutes
TOTALS for Nate/Herb 4 hours 15 minutes
TOTALS for Mika/Canaan 3 hours 0 minutes

Add in 12 hours for the pit stop between legs 6 and 7 you have this for release times (add 20 minutes to these to get to Dubai International Airport and 30 minutes minimum to book and board a flight):

Cheyne/Meghan release around 1102pm July 28
Maria/Tiffany release about 137am July 29
Sam/Dan release about 139am
Brian/Ericka release about 144am
Gary/Matt release about 145am
Nate/Herb arrive about 252am

That leads to the following implications for flights teams will get, assuming that the pit stop is 12 hours:

Cheyne/Meghan can make the nonstop KL428 DXB AMS 0140 0600

Maria/Tiffany, Sam/Dan, Brian/Ericka and Gary/Matt will just miss the Swiss connection through Zurich and they will get OS840 DXB VIE 0240 0605 connecting in Vienna to OS371 0720 0915.

That leaves in deep trouble Nate/Herb, who can do no better than waiting for the nonstop KL430 DXB AMS 0800 1220.

This is an anti-bunching approach, but I figure that sometime this race World Race Productions will give us just a glimpse of a real, non-bunched race (then take it all back by bunching for the remainder of AR15).

But we already know, thanks to Puddin's sharp eye, that Cheyne & Meghan finish at 12:15 pm.  No need to estimate.  And that KL428 1:40 am flight to AMS was actually at 12:13 am.  The other direct flight to AMS you listed does not show up.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 02:20:25 AM by Chateau d If »

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2009, 06:45:51 AM »

The hood's definitely mad at them!  :lol:

Somehow, I think TAR is going to have yet another non-standard pit stop, and force them to take the 8:00 flight. Besides Phil getting ahead of everyone else, non-stop flights are cheaper.  :duno:

In my experience, direct flights are not cheaper because they are in higher demand.  This experience is limited to flying in North America.

I do not think cost of the flight is an issue.  Teams need to get to a destination as quickly as possible and direct routes are the best.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2009, 07:08:42 AM »
gator27,
If I were to make a generalization based on years as a travel agent, it would be that nonstop international flights are generally more expensive than connecting flights because passengers value the convenience.

For the Amazing Race, I doubt that it matters, however, as I understand that the standard instructions to teams are to buy the Y class (or equivalent) for a given route. This is economy but with maximum flexibilty and the opportunity to have alterante flights endorsed by the alternate airline very quickly. These cost more than the least expensive economy class seats and there is one price irrespective of whether a flight is nonstop or connecting.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2009, 08:02:55 AM »
Chateau,

Your criticisms are correct. I looked back at KL428 and saw that it landed early at 513am but I failed to note its much erarlier departure time than the information I had. However, so what? Cheyne/Meghan should have been able to get on it anyway, as they had 70 minutes to get to the airport, ticket and board. If they failed to make it then they would have gotten on the next best flight combination, which is AF525 DXB CDG 0125 0610 connecting in Paris to AF9270 CDG AMS 0735 0835. That cuts their arrival lead over the next teams to only 40 minutes.

The point is that there is an array of flight options and foreclosing one does not alter the general approach. For Nate/Herb if KL430 was a days-of-the-week flight then and is now a MTWThSa flight, it only means that they have to take an earlier connecting flight and arrive 2.5 hours later. That would be Eqyptair (MS) 911 DXB CAI with actual schedule for Wednesday July 29 (since you insist) 0459 0727 connecting in Cairo with MS757 CAI AMS 1054 1436. There really isn't any time of day or night on the route Dubai to Amsterdam that a difference of almost 4 hours vs. Cheyne/Meghan would allow Nate/Herb to be on the same flight as Cheyne/Meghan.

For the other 4 teams it is conceivable that Cheyne/Meghan were not able to get an earlier flight and they ended up bunched together, but I don't think this happened.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2009, 08:32:33 AM »
gator27,
If I were to make a generalization based on years as a travel agent, it would be that nonstop international flights are generally more expensive than connecting flights because passengers value the convenience.

For the Amazing Race, I doubt that it matters, however, as I understand that the standard instructions to teams are to buy the Y class (or equivalent) for a given route. This is economy but with maximum flexibilty and the opportunity to have alterante flights endorsed by the alternate airline very quickly. These cost more than the least expensive economy class seats and there is one price irrespective of whether a flight is nonstop or connecting.

Thanks for the info.  You are obviously more qualified to comment on the cost of flights.  I learned something this morning.

We agree that cost is not an issue for the Amazing Racers.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2009, 10:24:43 AM »
Chateau,

Your criticisms are correct. I looked back at KL428 and saw that it landed early at 513am but I failed to note its much erarlier departure time than the information I had. However, so what? Cheyne/Meghan should have been able to get on it anyway, as they had 70 minutes to get to the airport, ticket and board. If they failed to make it then they would have gotten on the next best flight combination, which is AF525 DXB CDG 0125 0610 connecting in Paris to AF9270 CDG AMS 0735 0835. That cuts their arrival lead over the next teams to only 40 minutes.

The point is that there is an array of flight options and foreclosing one does not alter the general approach. For Nate/Herb if KL430 was a days-of-the-week flight then and is now a MTWThSa flight, it only means that they have to take an earlier connecting flight and arrive 2.5 hours later. That would be Eqyptair (MS) 911 DXB CAI with actual schedule for Wednesday July 29 (since you insist) 0459 0727 connecting in Cairo with MS757 CAI AMS 1054 1436. There really isn't any time of day or night on the route Dubai to Amsterdam that a difference of almost 4 hours vs. Cheyne/Meghan would allow Nate/Herb to be on the same flight as Cheyne/Meghan.

For the other 4 teams it is conceivable that Cheyne/Meghan were not able to get an earlier flight and they ended up bunched together, but I don't think this happened.

Going by standard 12-hour Pit Stop timing, Cheyne & Meghan did not get released early enough to catch KL428.  We have that they checked in at 12:15 pm.  that would mean they start the new leg at 12:15 am.  That does not give them enough time to catch flight KL428 which left at 12:13 am.  No matter how fast they are they cannot go backwards in time.  You're using either the wrong release time or the wrong takeoff time if you say "However, so what? Cheyne/Meghan should have been able to get on it anyway, as they had 70 minutes to get to the airport, ticket and board. "

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2009, 11:18:26 AM »
Chateau, it's obvious that I do not agree with the 1215pm finish time for Cheyne/Meghan since my estimate of that is stated as 1102am. I don't know whether yours is better than mine or not because I used a series of assumptions to get there. It's certainly possible that they took 73 minutes longer in the total time for Dubai II tasks and transportation, but obviously I do not think so. We'll see when the pit stop release times are available at the beginning of the show Sunday night. However, my "so what" comment still applies. If they can't get that flight, they jsut get the Air France flight combination. They arrive ahead of the other teams pretty much for sure, although the amount varies with which flight or flights they get.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2009, 11:24:21 AM »
a few new frames