Author Topic: Episodes 7 play by play *please read the rules!*  (Read 78953 times)

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Episodes 7 play by play *please read the rules!*
« Reply #275 on: November 01, 2009, 11:53:40 PM »
Agree with the posts above.

1. PLEASE no more gender-biased tasks.
2. Maria & Tiffany were more in the Kellie/Jamie & Lena/Kristy category for me anyways since there was a way 4-hour penalties can be made up, but 24 hours is too much.
3. Another great team goes out in Leg 7 (Lenny & Karyn, Mary & Peach, Tian & Jaree, Charla & Mirna, Brian & Greg, Kelly & Christy, Mel & Mike :'( :'() and the same way the last two went: after finishing 2nd the leg before. :'( :'( :'(
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #276 on: November 01, 2009, 11:57:20 PM »
Lenny & Karyn? They weren't great, Raymond. Karyn was so annoying with her yelling of "LENNNNN-EEEEEEEE!!!" No wonder he didn't marry her. :funny:
Just here to visit.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #277 on: November 02, 2009, 12:04:46 AM »
Lenny & Karyn? They weren't great, Raymond. Karyn was so annoying with her yelling of "LENNNNN-EEEEEEEE!!!" No wonder he didn't marry her. :funny:

I actually thought they were fun upon the first time I saw 'em. On rewatch, ya, Karyn turned on the ugh factor. And was him not marrying her any surprising? :funny:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #278 on: November 02, 2009, 12:05:29 AM »

:funny: :funny: :funny:

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #279 on: November 02, 2009, 12:47:24 AM »

Reminded me of the gender discrimination Roadblock Tian and Jaree had to go through.

What roadblock was this?
Account is awaiting approval for deletion (approved)

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #280 on: November 02, 2009, 12:52:10 AM »

3. Another great team goes out in Leg 7 (Lenny & Karyn, Mary & Peach, Tian & Jaree, Charla & Mirna, Brian & Greg, Kelly & Christy, Mel & Mike :'( :'() and the same way the last two went: after finishing 2nd the leg before. :'( :'( :'(

Not to mention Kynt and Vyxsin who were last in Leg 7, Guidos who were last in Poland, Joab's favorite David and Mary who were last in Mauritius, which practically killed them the next leg.

BJ and Tyler who were last in Oman, The Bransens are tolerable...
Account is awaiting approval for deletion (approved)

Offline autowil

• From St. Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Reality show Freak :)
« Reply #281 on: November 02, 2009, 01:29:03 AM »

Reminded me of the gender discrimination Roadblock Tian and Jaree had to go through.

What roadblock was this?

This??  :duno:

The Roadblock was to ride bulls at top speed across a mud course the size of a football field.

Leg 7 In india?? This one Joab??
Coming Soon Autowil Amazing Race 1 - 2023....

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #282 on: November 02, 2009, 01:31:16 AM »

What roadblock was this?

The Roadblock was to ride bulls at top speed across a mud course the size of a football field.

Yes. It was specifically designed for a male to complete it. Tian and Jaree made history and was on the local news for being the first ever female to complete such a task, if i didn't remember correctly.

Offline Acoustic

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #283 on: November 02, 2009, 04:05:56 AM »

2. Maria & Tiffany were more in the Kellie/Jamie & Lena/Kristy category for me anyways since there was a way 4-hour penalties can be made up, but 24 hours is too much.

Although I like to say that I did enjoy watching the poker girls, i still think the detour and roadblock tasks were good today. I dont think it was gender biased, tiffany almost got to the top of that machine thing.

I thought this detour was actually the best detour this season with last episodes detour coming in second. The detours in the begining episodes were too soft I think, no challenge at all. At least this detour was challenging and exciting to watch. Lot's of switching detour tasks.

Offline spontaneousss

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Jaime & Erik for TAR 16! Best Reality Couple ever!
« Reply #284 on: November 02, 2009, 05:08:20 AM »
Gender discrimination Detour?

OMG the thought went through my head too! :funny:

Other thoughts:
1) HAYBALES!!! Please let the clue hidden in the hay be a picture of Lena/Kristy. :funny:2) Mika now scared herself a chance at the Final Five. :lol:
3) What does blowing things up have anything to do with Sweden? :funny:

The most maddening thing of all is that what is the point of hitting the bell thing all the way to the top before you can dance? That's just plain bulls**t. It's so random and pointless.

And they're hardly in last.. they were in foeth and could have completed the leg in fourth place.. but thanks to the gender discrimination Detour, they had to be eliminated and FORCED to quit because they seriously cannot do either tasks.. and now have people breathing down their neck that they're quitters and see them in the league of Marshall and Lance. I think this is SO UNFAIR for them because we don't even know the true story yet... (:;)

I really don't think that they meant it to be a gender-discriminating detour but looking back ALL FEMALES (ALL!!) struggled this leg. Megan had a hard time at first on the golf, We know what happened with the Poker girls and Ericka even though it wasn't the detour struggled on the roadblock.. Thank god for Brian's strength on the swing task thay they aced the dance detour or Ericka might also struggle with that swing task..

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #285 on: November 02, 2009, 07:52:22 AM »

Although I like to say that I did enjoy watching the poker girls, i still think the detour and roadblock tasks were good today. I dont think it was gender biased, tiffany almost got to the top of that machine thing.

I thought this detour was actually the best detour this season with last episodes detour coming in second. The detours in the begining episodes were too soft I think, no challenge at all. At least this detour was challenging and exciting to watch. Lot's of switching detour tasks.

I actually thought the golf was doable. My major concern was with the thing before the dance. The rest were okay.

What roadblock was this?

Ya that one. It was a task only men used to do.

I also remember the complaints about that being the cause of their loss. But in all essence, I normally don't count this as reason for their elimination. I count what happens below (going WAY off-topic):

Watch 02:18 to 02:52 where they forget to load the coir. At the time, they're ahead of Millie & Chuck. But after correctly loading the coir, they let Millie & Chuck get ahead. Had they properly attached the coir the first time, they'd have probably stayed ahead of Millie & Chuck and would've most likely finished 4th/5th that leg (depending on who wins a footrace between 'em & Millie/Chuck). Plus, just wanna share this since this brings back memories of the first time I ever watched TAR. :funny:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #286 on: November 02, 2009, 09:30:31 AM »
...or had they done the chicken Detour, they probably would've stayed.

But I think they had checked out emotionally, so in the end it worked out for them.

[as for M/T, I think switching the Detour three times, actively trying each task several times before switching hurt them more; had they just stuck with the golf the first time, they might have managed a fourth place finish).

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #287 on: November 02, 2009, 08:34:50 PM »
I've discussed the episode in the other episode thread, but I just repeat my belief that Tiffany and Maria most likely are far enough behind with the 24-hour penalty that they would have been eliminated before they could have departed on the next leg.

I suspect we're going to find this out in some way in the next episode. It may come up in showing the Speed Bump (consistent with the CBS press release) and that the other teams finish the forthcoming leg before M/T could have been released. Either way they would have been eliminated. I wish the editing had been clearer last night; but I;m willing to wait and see how the next episode is edited.
-- theschnauzers

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #288 on: November 03, 2009, 07:58:51 AM »
Phil: This is a man made island off Dubai, shaped like a palm tree. Cost more than $12BN to create. This impressive luxury resort, the sixth pitstop in a Race around the world.

Meg/Cheyne, 1:13 pm. CLUE: Fly to Amsterdam.
Phil: Ulshva Dike, find the monument there for the next clue.
mswood, I'm sure few care and it is very hard to pronounce but the correct spelling of it is Afsluitdijk Dike and causeway.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #289 on: November 03, 2009, 08:58:28 AM »
IT'S SO LENA AND KRISTY. OMG.

Joab is absolutely right. This DETOUR is the spiritual cousin of the hay bales failure-to-complete. It is so Lena and Kristy.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #290 on: November 03, 2009, 09:02:40 AM »
Yes the tried (and props to them for that) but others have also done tasks and not been able to complete them and proceed to either never give up or make their way to the Pit Stop and face either elimination or a penalty from hell.

But in competition you don't quit.  I would respect them more to walk to the Pit Stop and face the Philinator.

To Quote the Family Edition, quiters never win, and winners never quit.  Even when you are the losers, you still are winners.
Agree.. I dun mind they keep trying like Lena and Phil come over and said you girls can stop it..

Is better that way than quitting..  :groan:
but these cases are very different. In LK's case there was still the possibility to find a clue. in MT's case the wind was making it impossible to sink the ball in.

No way! The problem for Maria/Tiffany was insufficient accuracy and length combined so they never got near the hole in 8 strokes.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #291 on: November 03, 2009, 09:08:54 AM »
My recollection is that when Marshall/Lance quit the roadblock in TAR 5 because of Marshall's injury, Phil never actually told them they were eliminated, rather he came to where they were at the roadblock task, and they confirmed to Phil that they wanted to quit the Race.

Except for the fact that this was a detour, this was essentially what Phil did with Maria/Tiffany. They thus become only the second team not to complete a detour.

The gals would have been eliminated anyway for not completing the detour, and one level it doesn't matter whether it was a 2 hour, 4 hour, or 24 hour penalty.  All the other teams has checked in, and they were going to be eliminated.

Otherwise, this was an immensely entertaining leg.

I suspect the press release is off a week.  It makes complete sense to me that the NEL would be next week, because of the history of the hay bale task. And an NEL in Sweden would fit the TAR detectives' findings about the ferry on the following leg.

Make that the third team not ot complete a DETOUR. Surely Toni and Dallas qualify in this category!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:12:57 AM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #292 on: November 03, 2009, 09:16:57 AM »
Now let me share my thoughts about the several gender discrimination comments. Is this the Amazing Race or the watered-down-so-female-teams-might-possibly-win race? I rest my case.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #293 on: November 03, 2009, 09:22:39 AM »

Joab is absolutely right. This DETOUR is the spiritual cousin of the hay bales failure-to-complete. It is so Lena and Kristy.

Did we just agree on the same thing apskip? It's a historic moment! :funny:

Anyway, it totally reminded me of Lena and Kristy because of one factor - The girls kept trying but no matter what, they just can't complete it. It's just like rolling the haybales again and again and again and again but the clue just didn't appear.

:'(

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #294 on: November 03, 2009, 09:31:54 AM »

Did we just agree on the same thing apskip? It's a historic moment! :funny:

Anyway, it totally reminded me of Lena and Kristy because of one factor - The girls kept trying but no matter what, they just can't complete it. It's just like rolling the haybales again and again and again and again but the clue just didn't appear.

:'(

It also reminded me of that due to other things:
1. There were haybale RBs on a Sweden leg on both seasons
2. Both targeted an all-female team
3. They had a huge lead on the trailing teams, but blew it
4. The trailing teams were <3<3<3
5. All the trailing teams saved were couples
6. There was a bike to the clue box before the task
7. Tiffany/Lena was doing most of the work while Maria/Kristy was providing the support :funny:
8. After this leg, the all-female teams were completely wiped out
9. They had missed opportunities (Maria/Tiffany should've most likely started with the golf; Lena was said to have missed clues) - please don't argue with me over this right now, I'm on an exaggeration roll :funny:
10. Outcome aside, I enjoyed the leg. :funny:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #295 on: November 03, 2009, 09:33:05 AM »
Now let me share my thoughts about the several gender discrimination comments. Is this the Amazing Race or the watered-down-so-female-teams-might-possibly-win race? I rest my case.

And we disagree on something again. :funny:

I understand what you meant apskip and i absolutely agree with your point of view that the race should not be designed in such a way that it is meant for the girls to win.

Last season, they tackled the problem really well by casting 3 fit, atheletic all-female teams... which proved that good casting and fit all-female teams do go far in the race.. and they can handle the physical tasks well too. Although they shouldn't always keep the all-female team casting in this category (then we won't have our Bowling Moms and Charla and Mirna love...), but it seems that this is the only way to keep the race fair?

Because in terms of physical strength related tasks... it always goes like this...

Alpha males >>> Alpha females / Non-alpha males >>> Non-alpha females

So the girls are always at a losing end no matter what when it always comes to strength/brawn related task... and thus TAR producers need to keep these tasks at a fair playing ground, and that was mainly what my gender-discrimination comment was about.. (and probably for others as well) When it comes to Detour wise, it has always not been a problem because there's always normally a strength related one and the other one which required nothing but just a waste of time. But in terms of Roadblock.. TAR producers need to be careful with the strength challenge they place on the race simply because.. only one team member can do it and once it has been decided, the decision cannot be change. But then, one can always opt for a 4 hours Roadblock penalty, which is not much of a big deal if it's a NEL.

All i can say is.. Maria and Tiff were just unlucky that both tasks sort of required strength this leg and that they had no choice but to give up on both task because they tried so hard and simply cannot complete either. And with bad weather conditions to add to their pain.. completing the Detour became even harder for them as well.. :(

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #296 on: November 03, 2009, 10:06:51 AM »
Joab:

My solution to your problem, the one which World Race Productions has been nominally using since Season 4, is to have few alpha male teams allowed to compete in each Amazing Race. That could level the playing field as much as possible. However, the enforcement of this policy by WRP has not exactly been rigorous. Here is a list of teams I consider to be alpha male on each of the races from Season 5 on:

5- NONE
6 (my thoughts on this one will be controversial) - Rebecca/Adam and Lori/Bolo; both Rebecca and Lori were the stronger members of their teams and functioned in an alpha male capacity
7 - Greg/Brian, Lynn/Alex
8 - the Aiello Family
9 - BJ/Tyler and Eric/Jeremy
10 - Tyler/James, Erwin/Godwin
11 - Oswald/Danny, Joe/Bill
12 - NONE
13 - Dan/Andrew, Mark/Bill
14 - Mark/Michael (even though they are short they functioned as alpha males)
15 - Sam/Dan

It is interesting to note that only 2 of the above alpha male teams won the Amazing Race while 3 of the first 4 seasons were won by alpha males. I would love just for fun to see Rebecca and Lori as a team. They would "kick ass".

However, I do not believe in casting pairs of Amazons like Jaime/Cara and Keisha/Jennifer in order to put the female teams approximately equal to the best male/female teams. I say let the chips fall where they may (and that led to the casting of Maria and Tiffany).

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #297 on: November 03, 2009, 10:12:48 AM »
Joab:

My solution to your problem, the one which World Race Productions has been nominally using since Season 4, is to have few alpha male teams allowed to compete in each Amazing Race. That could level the playing field as much as possible. However, the enforcement of this policy by WRP has not exactly been rigorous. Here is a list of teams I consider to be alpha male on each of the races from Season 5 on:

5- NONE
6 (my thoughts on this one will be controversial) - Rebecca/Adam and Lori/Bolo; both Rebecca and Lori were the stronger members of their teams and functioned in an alpha male capacity
7 - Greg/Brian, Lynn/Alex
8 - the Aiello Family
9 - BJ/Tyler and Eric/Jeremy
10 - Tyler/James, Erwin/Godwin
11 - Oswald/Danny, Joe/Bill
12 - NONE
13 - Dan/Andrew, Mark/Bill
14 - Mark/Michael (even though they are short they functioned as alpha males)
15 - Sam/Dan

It is interesting to note that only 2 of the above alpha male teams won the Amazing Race while 3 of the first 4 seasons were won by alpha males. I would love just for fun to see Rebecca and Lori as a team. They would "kick ass".

However, I do not believe in casting pairs of Amazons like Jaime/Cara and Keisha/Jennifer in order to put the female teams approximately equal to the best male/female teams. I say let the chips fall where they may (and that led to the casting of Maria and Tiffany).

I loved Rebecca and Lori!! Rebecca was amazing.. :funny:

As for casting non-alpha male teams to solve the situation... it still didn't work.. Nic/Don, Mark/Michael, Mel/Mike, Gary/Matt still went relatively far in the race.

As i've said fair competitve playing ground keeps everything less controversial and equal for all. If you want to throw in alpha male team, make sure you have alpha female as well. Does that sound very Season 10 to you?

And yes, IMO Season 10 had one of the best, balanced cast in so many seasons we've seen. We see people from all wakes of life... if only the casting director focused more on casting always and take a leaf out of TAR 10 and TAR 14's cast... :funny:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #298 on: November 03, 2009, 10:13:51 AM »
Anyway, i don't know if both of us had gone off-topic already.. because we're still discussing about the gender discrimination issue this episode.. if we're.. just edit/remove our post.. thanks and sorry puddin/peach/moderators. :(

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #299 on: November 03, 2009, 04:06:56 PM »
Yup I have no idea what this has to do with leg 7? Take it to discussion please.
Further discussion of Leg 7 can continue here ..
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,20966.0.html
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 04:10:15 PM by puddin »