Author Topic: Been to a RACE Location?? POST IT HERE!  (Read 279697 times)

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Retrace the Steps of The Amazing Race Contest
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2011, 01:01:37 PM »
I was visiting Istanbul last weekend and took the opportunity to visit some of the TAR places.

Istanbul featured in episode 9 of season 7. This episode starts in India where the four teams are instructed to fly to Istanbul. There is a fair bit of airport drama where Rob is too clever for his own good. Basically his attempt to spread FUD caused the two other teams to research some more and actually find a better flight. So two teams had a two hour lead into Istanbul.

Once in Istanbul teams travel by light rail and streetcar to downtown Istanbul. Of course they have to show the filmed sequence in the wrong order (tram first then light rail) when in reality it is the other way around. This part of the trip takes about an hour.

All teams shown get off the tram at at Sirkeci and walk form there to the ferry (300m). It would have been closer to wait one more stop and get off at Eminönü which is right by the ferries. They then travel by boat across the Bosporus to Üsküdar. Here is a shot from the boat while we waited for it to cast off. Note the tower in the background.

The boat trip takes almost 20 minutes and gives you a nice view of Kizkulesi where the clue is located. Once in Üsküdar teams transferred to a smaller boat which took them to the island. We did not have time to visit it so you will have to settle for this picture I took from the boat.

After Kizkulesi teams had to go to Galata Kulesi, which is a tower on a hill in central Istanbul (you can see it in the first picture above). All teams first took the small boat to the main land (Asia side). From there three teams took a taxi while Rob & Amber took the boat back to Eminönü and then a taxi.

A tip to any tourists visiting the tower by foot. After crossing the Galata bridge there are signs showing the closest way, straight up the hill. But more interesting is to turn left after the bridge and walk through the fish market. Then after the fish market turn right and walk straight up the hill. You are just a couple of streets away from the main tourist route, but instead of shops geared for the tourist you are walking among lots small hardware shops/stalls. Some places sell a little of everything while other are more specialized in things like screws or electrical motors.

At the Galata tower two teams had real problems finding the clue. This is actually not all that surprising when you see the area. This picture shows the clue location:

Note that there is a wall between the cluebox location and the actual tower. The clue was not visible from any point at the base of the tower. Furthermore most taxis arrive at the other side of the tower. Here is another shot.

The clue at Galata is a detour clue. One side of the the detour was in the Binbirdirek cistern. Unfortunately this was closed when we tried to visit it:(

The other detour option was to weigh people at the square in front of Yeni Cami. This is located alomst just across the road from where the first boat trip started. Rob and Amber made their way here on foot while the others rode taxis. I think both modes of transportation should have taken about the same amount of time. It is fairly close and the roads are steep and narrow. A taxi also has the added risk of getting stuck behind another car unloading or waiting for somebody.

We also visited this square, although a little later in the day. And as you can see it is bustling with life.

Given the relative position of the locations it could have been possible for the last two teams to spot any of the first two teams performing the detour while they were heading out on the ferry.

The square is well worth a visit. Next to it you can find the pet market and the spice bazaar.

We did not see any scales in the square. But every here and there in the city we found small kids with scales offering to weight people for money. So the producers were not pulling our legs with this task.

After the detour teams travel to Rumeli Hisarı also know as the Europe Fortress. This is located about 10 miles further north along the Bosporus. We did not have time to visit it buts instead opted for some more central sights and a Turkish Hamam.

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2012, 02:50:34 AM »
Let's restart this thread!!  :hrt:

Destination:
India

Route Marker: Baha'i House (Delhi) and Gaura Parvati Parking, Amber Fort (Jaipur)

Shown Season: Season 13 and 14 respectively

Picture taken time:
December 2011

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2012, 05:53:46 AM »
PIc??

Somehow I miissed this maf...this is awesome!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2012, 06:22:02 AM »
It's not working  :gaah:

Baha'i' House

http://i42.[banned image hosting site].com/fcsah.jpg

Red Fort - Thank you to the random poser in my picture  :lol3:

http://i44.[banned image hosting site].com/fcqs8.jpg
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 06:26:30 AM by BayBay »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2012, 07:00:26 AM »
Nice BayBay!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2012, 03:48:38 PM »

Le Stonehenge photo I took this May when I was in London. Visited TAR 17, Leg 1! :luvya:

Offline Tarfan37

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2012, 09:57:19 PM »
I have a pic of me at the water tower in chicago TAR 6 ill upload it tommarow

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2012, 02:19:14 AM »
On the very last day in Copenhagen, I tried to find some TAR locations and walked around town with my friend.. feeling lucky about the day... knowing that the ship used for the pit-stop location for the TAR 19 leg might be around, I went on a search, without knowing what the name of the ship is, where the location is.. or what it actually looks like. I can only depend on my memory...

Lo and behold.

The funniest thing, I didn't even know if we had the correct one. I just checked five minutes ago on wikipedia, went to my photo, zoomed in on the name and nearly died of excitement.

I GOT THE CORRECT ONE! TAR FAN FOR THE WIN! :luvya: :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2012, 02:05:08 PM »
Nice!!

So....did you find the muddy ditch in Holland?? :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

addie

« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2012, 02:19:20 PM »
Nice!!

So....did you find the muddy ditch in Holland?? :lol:
:lol:

There are too many of them in Holland :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2012, 02:39:51 PM »
Heee, but we have directions!! :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2012, 09:03:53 AM »
Nothing much about muddy ditch, sorry peach.  :lol:

Offline inomu

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2012, 04:23:03 PM »
Wow, last year was good TAR location spotting year for me :lol:

Batu Caves, Malaysia from Season 11

Petronas Towers, Malaysia from Season 3

Pinang Peranakan Museum, Malaysia from Season 16 (Pit Stop)

Pinang Peranakan Museum, Malaysia from Season 16 (Pit Stop)

Fountain of Wealth, Singapore from Season 3 (Roadblock)

Singapore Flyer from Season 16 (Fast Forward)

Marina Barrage, Singapore from Season 16 (Pit Stop)

Kraton, Yogyakarta, Indonesia from Season 19 (Pit Stop)

Borobudur, Indonesia from Season 19 (Roadblock)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 04:31:30 PM by inomu »

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2012, 04:24:08 PM »
Wow , nice pictures inomu!!
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline inomu

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2012, 04:28:23 PM »
more...

Church of Our Saviour, Denmark from Season 19

Dancing Hall in Frederiksborg Castle from Season 19 (Roadblock)

European Parliament Building from Season 19 (Detour to bodybuilding)

Atomium from Season 19 (Pit Stop)

Tintin mural from Season 19

Wow , nice pictures inomu!!

Thanks!  :) :)

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2012, 06:58:54 PM »
Here's two pics of the outside view of the Buenos Aires' domestic airport, the Aeroparque Jorge Newbery; where the teams took their flight to Salta in TAR20 ep. 1 and landed coming from Mendoza in TAR7 ep. 4.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:28:11 PM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2012, 07:55:12 PM »
User: supah3ro

Destination: Agra, Uttar Pradesh, India

Route Marker: Route Info

Shown Season: TAR1

Picture taken time: around 4pm, early January 2012

I drew in a little clue box (exactly where it was in TAR1) you might be able to see, but in fact, when teams picked up their clue, it was in an antique box, not a clue box, but anyway  :lol:

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:16:15 PM by supah3ro »

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2012, 02:05:57 PM »
The "Lola Membrives Theatre", where the Detour's choice "Tango" was performed in Leg 2, Buenos Aires, of the fifth season of The Amazing Race.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:18:17 PM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline balfour

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2012, 10:54:18 AM »

Where it all started: Bethesda Terrace, Central Park (Starting Line of TAR1)

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2012, 07:09:11 PM »
The Retiro Bus Terminal in Buenos Aires. 
Both pictures are from the Section C, where the teams pick their cabs to go to the Mercado de Hacienda de Liniers on TAR20. 

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:11:10 PM by Alenaveda »

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2012, 08:07:25 AM »
I may be able to post some pictures of the Torre de Belem, Pitstop for TAR 03 Leg 04.

Also went to the Musee de Tapiseries, where Tian & Jaree won their Fast Forward in season 04

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2012, 08:39:47 PM »
Two pics from the Fuerza Aérea Square and the English Clock Tower - the "Torre de los Ingleses" -, where teams in TAR7 had to find the "man with the raincoat" who would gave them their next clue.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:09:12 PM by Alenaveda »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2012, 07:28:21 AM »
Guess the TAR location! First one's easy, second one is obscure.

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2012, 08:26:57 AM »
Guess the TAR location! First one's easy, second one is obscure.
First one should be Luxor, Egypt?

Aaaand, for the second one, I'd say the TAR 15 last pitstop in Hungary? Don't really know...

BTW, there was once a game in the TAR Fantasy Games Board which was about that; posting a picture of a place and other users had to guess it. Worked fine, but got inactive. Can be resumed once again?

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2012, 10:03:14 AM »
Yep, that's Karnak at Luxor! First pic below shows the Pit Stop on "Crocodile Island," now marketed as "King's Island." It's a private island owned by a hotel but if you pretend to be a guest you can sneak in. (Also, the scarabs that they had to dig for in the sand are common souvenirs sold to tourists, much like the Eiffel Towers teams got in Zambia.)

The second pic is hard to recognise because the task there took place at night, but it came right before this (second pic)...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 10:10:13 AM by Neobie »