Author Topic: Been to a RACE Location?? POST IT HERE!  (Read 280032 times)

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Been to a RACE Location?? POST IT HERE!
« Reply #300 on: October 06, 2018, 10:22:06 AM »
Central Park is truly a jewel in NYC. Among all the skyscrapers and residences, it feels like you are standing in a forestscape. Did you happen to travel to Brooklyn or were you just touring Manhattan?

It's so serene that you almost forget that you're in a city. I only had time to explore Manhattan, so I didn't get a chance to visit Brooklyn.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #301 on: October 09, 2018, 03:45:39 PM »
It has been decades, but I recently realized that I had, in fact, been to the original start line at Bethesda Fountain back in 1978 when I visited a college classmate one weekend in Manhattan. We hit a lot of spots on the Saturday, including Central Park, and when I used Google Earth, I realized we had in fact walked past the fountain. That of course was 23 years before the opening episode of TAR aired. But it pleases me to know that I had done so.
-- theschnauzers

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #302 on: December 18, 2018, 09:41:52 PM »
I’m just rewatching season 3 and realized I’ve been to a clue location: the top of The Pyramid of the Sun at Teotihuacan, Mexico.

This was in January of 1974, long before the race. I’ll try to find a picture to post (it’s on a different computer.

Found it:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 10:16:53 PM by chill_sd »

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #303 on: December 19, 2018, 07:36:21 PM »
I’m just rewatching season 3 and realized I’ve been to a clue location: the top of The Pyramid of the Sun at Teotihuacan, Mexico.
That picture is incredible! Best part is that there is no other visible person in the picture and it's you (hopefully) and the vast grounds with the surrounding landscape.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #304 on: December 20, 2018, 10:36:56 AM »
Thanks, Rachel. My friend took the picture. I love that the Pyramid of the Moon is in the background.

Offline Koadey

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #305 on: January 24, 2019, 10:29:21 PM »
I don't have pictures for all, or even most of these, but I've been to:

1. United Nations in NYC (as featured on Amazing Race 21, from the final leg)
2. Washington Square Park (as featured on Amazing Race 30, the starting line)
3. Hart Plaza in Detroit, MI (as featured on Amazing Race 31, from the final leg)
4. The Blue Lagoon in Iceland (as featured on Amazing Race 6, the first pit stop)
5. The waffle place on Grevensteen in Ghent, Belgium (as seen on Amazing Race 19)
6. The CN Tower in Toronto (as seen on Amazing Race 8, the second-to-last leg)
7. The music store in St. John's, NL (as seen on TAR Canada 1, leg 8)
8. Holloway Street in St. John's, NL (as seen on TAR Canada 1, leg 8)
9. Cape Spear in St. John's, NL (as seen on TAR Canada, the pit stop of leg 8)
10. The Atomium in Brussels, Belgium (as seen on Amazing Race 19 as the pit stop)
11. Mont Royal in Montreal, Quebec (as seen on Amazing Race Canada 4, the finish line)

I also think I went to the pit stop of leg 10 of Amazing Race Season 4 in Seoul, South Korea, but I'll have to double check if it's the same place.

Gra1162

« Reply #306 on: January 24, 2019, 10:40:25 PM »
during christmas I've went to NZ, i went to the place on were there is the swing (nevis swing) in TARA1 TAR2 and also the bungey place,

I also went to auckland to the sky tower

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #307 on: January 25, 2019, 08:36:13 AM »
It's been 5 months since i had a trip to NYC and Miami, went to Central Park which i think it was a destination already, maybe in Season 1? I've passed that giant globe.

Also, Times Square, those red bleachers.

It's pretty mainstream but from the guy who lives in the Brazil/Uruguay frontier, it counts a lot  :lol:
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Cyzoran

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #308 on: April 01, 2019, 07:06:40 AM »
In one month I will be traveling to Russia, India, and China.

What locations in these countries has the race been to?

In Russia I will be at Moscow and St Petersburg

In India i will be at New Delhi and Agra ( I know in 27 they went to Taj Mahal)

In China i will be in Shanghai (I know they've gone to the Bund a couple of times) and in Beijing ( I know they went to the wall in season 1)

What other locations should I look out for?

NOTE: This is an international business trip for grad school. While I'll have some free time to explore, I won't get to go everywhere I'd like, but I just want to know what areas I should look out for.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 07:22:43 AM by Cyzoran »
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

Gra1162

« Reply #309 on: April 01, 2019, 07:14:39 AM »
In one month I will be traveling to Russia, India, and China.

What locations in these countries has the race been to?

In Russia I will be at Moscow and St Petersburg

In India i will be at New Delhi and Agra ( I know in 27 they went to Taj Mahal)

In China i will be in Shanghai (I know they've gone to the Bund a couple of times) and in Beijing ( I know they went to the wall in season 1)

What other locations should I look out for?
Maybe the restaurant they went to on season 10 in China?  :duno:

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #310 on: May 23, 2019, 09:29:53 PM »
If you have read through the live updates thread for last night's double-episode, you would have likely caught my message of my month-long business trip to
Show content
ATHENS, GREECE
starting on the first of June when I will be flying out of Chicago O'Hare. During this time, I will be busy with assignments for the majority of this travel and will not be able to update for the remainder of season 31 as the time it will air on CBS if I stream it from the country I am flying to would be forcing me to be fully awake around 3:00-5:00 AM on a Thursday a.k.a. a working day.

But over the weekends and my evening breaks, I WILL be visiting various destinations the Race has explored and cannot wait to share the experiences and stories with you when I return in July!
 :2hearts:
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #311 on: May 24, 2019, 04:51:16 AM »
If you have read through the live updates thread for last night's double-episode, you would have likely caught my message of my month-long business trip to
Show content
ATHENS, GREECE
starting on the first of June when I will be flying out of Chicago O'Hare. During this time, I will be busy with assignments for the majority of this travel and will not be able to update for the remainder of season 31 as the time it will air on CBS if I stream it from the country I am flying to would be forcing me to be fully awake around 3:00-5:00 AM on a Thursday a.k.a. a working day.

But over the weekends and my evening breaks, I WILL be visiting various destinations the Race has explored and cannot wait to share the experiences and stories with you when I return in July!
 :2hearts:

Oh what JOY!! We will be missing you here but looking forward to your adventures!! Travel well!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Cyzoran

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #312 on: June 06, 2019, 12:29:51 PM »
Two weeks ago I got to go to Russia, India, and China.

In Russia I got to go to the Hermitage which is a pit stop for season 5!

In India I got to go to Humayun's tomb in Delhi where they went in season 13, and the Taj Mahal which got visited in 27!

In China I got to see the Shanghai pitstop from season 21 and went to the great wall in Beijing which was in season 1!

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #313 on: June 06, 2019, 12:41:07 PM »
What a wonderful trip!! Any pics to share??
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Cyzoran

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #314 on: June 06, 2019, 12:55:12 PM »
 I have so many!!

I put some of my favorites together on imgur! Here’s the link:

https://imgur.com/a/78SFmAM

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #315 on: June 06, 2019, 01:54:59 PM »
I have so many!!

I put some of my favorites together on imgur! Here’s the link:

https://imgur.com/a/78SFmAM

You got to see so much! First time in India? Thanks for sharing the pics, love them!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Cyzoran

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #316 on: June 06, 2019, 02:36:49 PM »
It was an incredible trip! So much in 2 weeks! and yep first time in both Russia and India.

Offline sveped

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #317 on: June 27, 2019, 03:55:27 PM »
I visited Helsinki and St. Petersburg in April, and I got to see these TAR Locations while sightseeing:

Helsinki:
* Kappeli Café
* Olympic Stadium
* Senate Square

St. Petersburg:
* Bronze Horseman
* Hermitage/Winter Palace
* Palace Square
* Anichkov Palace
* Beloselsky-Belozersky Palace
* Nevskiy Prospect
* Church of the Savior on Blood
* Peter and Paul Fortress
* Rostral Columns
* Alexander Garden
* Saint Isaac's Cathedral
* Battleship "Aurora"
* Bank Bridge (although it was closed, due to renovation)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #318 on: July 04, 2019, 10:47:05 AM »
Words simply cannot describe the ups and downs of June 2019. Four months ago, I received the greenlight to fly overseas for business, hosting meetings with international personnel and various clients in setting up the first international branch of the company I have been honored to work for. Throughout my month abroad, I have learned a lot about the people who I was privileged to work with (and become awesome friends with in the process :hugs:!), the region and its unspoiled splendor, and the sites TAR visited so I could bathe in the magic of good reality TV. Since I'm particularly proud of accomplishing my goal of seeing TAR sites in real life, I will talk about the stories of my Greco travels here! Welcome to:
ATHENS, GREECE
All sites are arranged in chronological order of the Race's visits.

Ancient Agora of Athens - TAR9 without the rain :funny:
On a more relaxed second weekend off, I took on my own self-guided listening tour of the Agora ruins. The most interesting piece I learned from exploring the excavation on my own and following the audio trail is that the human dynamics tell more about the story of the square than the infrastructure. It was where high society and citizens could coincide, playing role to many rallies, public gatherings, and festivities. Below are photos of the keystone Stoa of Attalos and marbly Temple of Hephaestus. The former was used as the main market in its heyday, and the latter had an interesting prehistory of being converted into a church that was rumored to only hold service once a year. There are many stoas surrounding the agora, but Attalos is the best-known because of its long covered portico being extensively renovated and its modern retrofit to accommodate the Agora Archaeological Museum. As for the temple, I learned although it has been well restored, looters have stolen priceless steles of work from the friezes (upper section of the temple with artistic carvings) that may never be found. This area has certainly taken an enormous beating, but still it thrives, after facing off violent conflicts stretching centuries.

Stamatopoulos Taverna - TAR9
The restaurant of the plate-smashing Fast Forward! I suggested having dinner here with a few of my colleagues after a long day fixing loopholes in several company policies and meeting with the chief of the branch for one entire afternoon. We hadn't eaten much prior to our booked schedule that day and were quite famished having gotten off work at 20:00. This visit brightened up our stressful day. The ambiance of the outdoor dining area was magical - two guys serenaded the patio guests with Greek tunes, some people even got up to dance, conversations were flowing, and the wait staff was lovely to talk to. After being deprived of stuffed grape leaves until the perfect moment, I decided this was it. I ordered a plate of dolmathes for myself and they were SCRUMPTIOUS paired with that bechamel-looking white sauce and Greek beer. I couldn't get enough of their freshly baked bread either! Our group agreed to split a seafood platter which came with cooked octopus tentacles, squid rings, langoustine, whitefish, and a light salad on the side. Everyone had satisfied their bellies by the time we called in for the night.

Corinth Canal - TAR9 & 29
Iconic TAR-ness took place on the third weekend of my trip. I rode the train to Corinth and hired a taxi to take me to the canal. You couldn't see the site while on the road, but once you stop and look down from Isthmos Bridge, the moment was surreal. I was mesmerized by the distinct layers of limestone cascading down the sides of the canal to the seafoam blue. The private yachts casually wading toward the Aegean Sea were like seeing dolphins swimming in clear water. I was not going to perform the hair-raising leap of faith because I'm not an extreme sports person by any means, but I found the next best alternative to reach closer to water level: a BOATING EXCURSION! The Grand Canyon-style journey down the canal was also mighty impressive. I was surprised by the amount of nature that could be sustained as every plant down there was attached to the limestone as if it was a balancing act, and small grottos appeared sporadically during the excursion making me question if animals actually lived in this lap of luxury. So for any travel enthusiasts bucket-listing Greece, I highly recommend the Corinth Canal being part of your visit! It's among the most breathtaking sites I've ever had the opportunity to experience.

Panathenaic Stadium - TAR29
On the same weekend I went to the Agora, I completed THE TASK from the site of the first Modern Olympics and more! With my phone held up above my head like an Olympic torch, I ran as fast as I could around the 400-meter track (video below)! I think I beat Usain Bolt's time, haha! The stadium also had the competitors' tunnel near the bend of the track transformed into a museum furnished with various props from the past Games. Torches and images of promotional posters lined the walls of the gallery all the way up to the recent Pyeongchang Winter Olympics. In the back of the gallery were bronzed opening ceremony cauldrons, and seeing these pristine artifacts really made me think how big of a team effort it really is to create these items and fortify its legacy. Touring this kempt venue was perhaps one of the most powerful feelings I've felt in my lifetime. Did I mention the bleachers are all made out of marble?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nsp2F70yV08" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nsp2F70yV08</a>

Liz & Michael's Kokoretsi/Κοκορέτσι Speed Bump - TAR29
I asked around the city and various kantinas where the best kokoretsi was. Unfortunately, I was informed this dish is typically not served during the summers (and the ones that do serve it out of season "are not great" as said by one of my Athenian colleagues). I was told this dish was specifically prepped during the Orthodox Easter holiday. Like turkey during Thanksgiving. Good news is the chefs at a couple restaurants that specialize in spit-roasted barbecue taught me how they prepare the intestines and roasted organ. Lamb is always being prepared around Athens, so I opted for lamb gyros, shank, leg, whatever to fulfill my unattainable request. The results were nonetheless delicious!

Zappeion - TAR29
One of the places that I simply stopped by, the Zappeion had a bigger space than what I had originally imagined. During holiday seasons or special occasions, the lot out in front is the host for festivals and trade shows. It has been used by politicians to extravagant weddings that one of my colleagues actually called it "the party building". There was no changing of the guards here as TAR lightly suggested, but the interior courtyard did commemorate the donorship and visionary of Evangelis Zappas.

Areopagus / Acropolis - TAR29
And finally, the rock that held this entire trip together! I climbed Areopagus in the late morning to take a lot of portraits of myself there and many spectacular views of Athens. Nobody told me those marbled rocks were super petrified so I ended up falling flat on my behind a couple times. Maybe wearing old tennis shoes that day wasn't the greatest idea, haha. There was actually not a ton of people on the rocks that I was pleased with the photos I ended up saving.

And what Athens trip would be complete without heading to the Acropolis? I went in the early morning before Areopagus. The last snapshot is from the stunning, new Acropolis Museum's expansive cafe.

Hope everyone has enjoyed my Greek adventure and Happy 4th of July! :waves:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 10:55:03 AM by RachelLeVega »

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #319 on: August 13, 2019, 05:00:33 PM »
A bit late, but in January I went on a school trip to Central America for World Youth Day in Panama City, visiting Costa Rica and Panama. I didn't realise all of them on the trip, but the amount of TAR locations I visited is definitely worth showcasing, so hope you enjoy :).

So in Costa Rica, We visited the Poas Volcano which was visited in S8, It did have a cool view but we only saw it for about 10 minutes before the smoke completly obscured the view, however it was very interesting due to the strong smell of sulphur and all the people wearing hard hats :D

After spending 3 days in Costa Rica, we drove 20 hours overnight to Panama City which is just as fun as it sounds. In Panama City and surrounding areas we visited so many sights from TAR. Firstly we spent time in Casco Viejo (old town) which was visited in Tar8/19/CA5. The place has beautiful architecture and a lovely atmostphere. We saw the Plaza de Francia as seen in S19 and the Cathedral Square which had a performance of dancers doing the same dance as the S19 final challenge in the same location, what are the odds! It was definitely a spectacle.

I also visited the Cinta Costera, which was the location of the Tar 29 pitstop, it offers incredible views of the city skyline which is so impressive, skyscrapers upon skyscrapers.

What Panama trip would be complete without the Panama Canal, we visited the Miraflores Lock, was impressive to see the Panama Canal especially as we saw a boat pass through.

Finally, we visited the Rainforest. Unknown to me until arrival, we visited the Soberania National Park in Gamboa, the same place visited in S29. Was amazing to see a rainforest as they're not common here in London aha, getting drenched wasn't as rewarding tho lol. We even climbed the canopy tower which was a route marker in S29, the views were of course astounding.

After flying back to Costa Rica to spend the day there before flying home to London, we visited the town of Sarchi. We actually learnt about how Ox cart wheels were made in the same location as the Brush detour of S8. Unfortunetly many of us decided to stay in the pool until 3am the night before and then didnt sleep before our 4:30 departure so, i was very much asleep aha. Did manage to get a picture of the worlds largest ox cart though.

This trip was amazing and I would highly recommend Costa Rica and Panama to anyone, especially Panama City, hope you enjoyed. :)
And sorry for the atrocious grammar at some points, I'm by no means a writer aha.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 05:35:33 PM by BritishTARFan »

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #320 on: August 14, 2019, 09:14:15 AM »
A bit late, but in January I went on a school trip to Central America for World Youth Day in Panama City, visiting Costa Rica and Panama. I didn't realise all of them on the trip, but the amount of TAR locations I visited is definitely worth showcasing, so hope you enjoy :).
These photos are great! I'm so glad you got to see the Panamanian pollera dancers at Cathedral Square, the Locks, Casco Viejo, and the lush rainforest environment in the region! Did the trip ever get around to talking about the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute in Gamboa?

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #321 on: August 14, 2019, 10:43:41 AM »
These photos are great! I'm so glad you got to see the Panamanian pollera dancers at Cathedral Square, the Locks, Casco Viejo, and the lush rainforest environment in the region! Did the trip ever get around to talking about the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute in Gamboa?

No, unfortunately just the national park, then again Panama hasn’t really discovered signage 😂, so it’s very possible we did and I didn’t know.

Offline flair0310

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #322 on: August 28, 2019, 02:44:34 PM »
TAR 3 - Leg 9

I was fortunate enough to visit Lake Geneva, Montreux and the Chateau de Chillon last weekend. Thought I would share some photos with you that might bring back some memories! The whole walk along the promenade I had flashbacks of Flo throwing her bicycle helmet into the lake  :funny:

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #323 on: August 28, 2019, 02:47:41 PM »
Taken 2005. From last night's Amazing Race Canada, the Thunder Bay monument where Terry Fox's run for cancer ended.

Offline Linda BC2

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #324 on: August 28, 2019, 03:51:18 PM »
Goats on Roof - Coombs, BC from TAR Canada season 7 - leg 5

Photo taken a few days ago