Author Topic: Been to a RACE Location?? POST IT HERE!  (Read 279719 times)

Offline eragon

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Been to a RACE Location?? POST IT HERE!
« Reply #250 on: August 18, 2016, 10:02:45 PM »
Oh. I didn't know there's a thread dedicated to race locations you've been to. I always make sure I do visit race locations if they're worth going to. I'm gonna share some of my pictures from my recent travels.

South Korea
Made a replica of TAR clue. I opened it on the day of my travel to South Korea. :lol: :hoot:

Namsan Tower - TAR4

Gyeongbokgung Palace - TAR4 (Pitstop)

Australia

Twelve Apostles - The Amazing Race: Australia v New Zealand

Loch Ard Gorge - The Amazing Race: Australia v New Zealand (Location of the final Roadblock and Finish Line)

Hong Kong, China

Wong Tai Sin Temple - TAR2 (Fast Forward)

Po Lin Monastery - TAR2 (Fast Forward)

Tian Tan Buddha - TAR2 (Fast Forward)

Statue Square - TAR17 (Pitstop)

Victoria Harbor (Red Junk Boat) - TAR2 (Pitstop)

Macau, China

Macau Tower - TAR11 (Roadblock)

Senado Square - TAR Canada 2

Ruins of St. Paul - TAR Australia 2/TAR Canada 2

The Venetian Macau - TAR Australia 1

Philippines
No photos of the locations because there's no need to. :lol:
TAR25
Rajah Sulayman Park
Manila Baywalk
Divisoria Market
Baluarte de San Diego (Pitstop)

TAR Asia 2
CCP Complex
Fort Santiago (Pitstop)
Paco Park (Pitstop)

TAR Asia 5
Will be featured in season 5 when they visit The Philippines.

Calle Crisologo

Bantay Bell Tower

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #251 on: August 18, 2016, 10:09:16 PM »
Nice eragon!!

Oh Rachel...I think you missed something special by 48hrs!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 01:06:59 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #252 on: August 18, 2016, 11:51:34 PM »
Taipei, Taiwan
Seven days in Taipei, six nights spent adventuring the great streets, and hundreds of facts learned from my first international vacation! I was enamored by the whole atmosphere and structure of the city, and even more so by its delectable local cuisine. Besides catching up on the Rio Olympics on their primetime schedule, Taipei offered a bunch of thrilling activities to do during my stay, even when it rained, and a few of them involved traveling to locations explored by TAR. Here are some of the photos I took of my journey arranged in chronological order of season visit:

TAR12
Taipei Main Station - Not a typical railway station; in fact, the place was like its own shopping center. There were many pastry stalls and gift boutiques selling wonderful desserts such as yule logs, macaroons, egg tarts, and mooncakes. A food court on the second floor offering Taiwanese and other ethnic cravings filled visitors' and high-speed rail travelers' appetite. Ultimately, I spent most of my time upstairs to lunch on a delicious hot cast iron skillet meal of beef, rice, glazed onions, and bok choy. I considered riding the high-speed rail to Taichung/Jiji from there, but had planned a rather tight schedule attending more excitement around Taipei. However, I did ride the metro lines (also feasible in walking distance at the station) frequently.

GK Teahouse - I must credit georgiapeach and her friend from Taiwan for helping me locate this beautiful teahouse.  :<3 Thank you! Fun fact of that night: I learned from a local that the proper pronunciation of this establishment is "Jie-Kuh". Although the menu at this restaurant was written entirely in Mandarin Chinese, a language I cram-studied on my flight, I settled on ordering a nice pot of tea and took a wild guess as to which flavor was the rose-colored one teams drank during the race. Unlucky for me, I chose the wrong one! Appreciatively, a dark tea infused with what I believe were dates (bottom left picture) had a unique, charming flavor I could not stop sipping. If I do return to Taipei again, GK is worth a return visit. The ambiance of the teahouse is relaxing, earthy, and an oasis from the tropical humidity.

Gongguan Night Market - Unfortunately, my phone battery depleted about the time I arrived at the central hub of Gongguan so I was not able to take any more pictures that night than the one below. The night market is not as large-scale as Shilin or Raohe, but a quaint evening staring at oodles of Taiwanese street food and viewing the flashy neon signs just after drinking a warm pot of sweet, stark tea was lovely.

228 Peace Memorial Park ("Zhongzheng Park") - The lantern-lighting park that merely made it on the air! From the looks of it, the green near the palm trees seems like the approximate area where the task was organized. Although now a glorious park where everyone was enjoying the view and walking about with a stroller or texting away, I learned the memorial there paid recognition to the division of Taiwan from Mainland China in 1947. A museum opened in the park to bring to light the historic massacre that took place and the events leading into independence. I can't believe no one ever brought this up during my 20th century history course in college. Such a fascinating past Taiwan has had much like the Colonial U.S. wanting to cede from Great Britain.

Youth Park - Youth Park was a gigantic park to go around! It felt more like an amusement park with endless winding paths, an exercise station, swimming pools, rollerskating rink, a red dirt forest, a baseball field, basketball and tennis courts, a driving range, and let's not forget the stones teams had to track onward and back. I tried stepping on one of those rocks barefoot... that was NOT a good idea. I'm pretty sure the amount of "uncles" that traveled through my head while walking the path would make me become an extremely whiny child calling for a family member. :lol: At the entrance of the park closest to the expressway, a clock made out of flora and a statue of a historic ruler greeted me by surprise.

Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall - The largest open walking space in the country perhaps! I was able to explore inside the memorial and see what the life of the former nationalist leader of Taiwan was like in office and some of his relics. The architecture for each of the buildings in the square are colossal and truly evokes grandeur to represent Kai-shek's reign. Simply a stunning and gorgeous centerpiece of Taipei!

TAR19
Ximending Commercial District - A crowded and busy boulevard with vibrant and jovial tastes in clothing, snacks, and pop culture! I also found the electronic billboard that got teams confused about their next clue (top right). Ximending is a youthful district, but is welcoming for people of all ages to come and explore each store. As a matter of fact, I found a pair of silver earrings I really liked at one of the outdoor vendors!

Taipei Confucius Temple - I don't think I have ever been so enthusiastic to see a payphone in my life! :funny: Showing off the proverbial and spiritual enlightenment of wise Confucius, I also was taught a lesson about the morphing of Chinese language from simple stick lines to curvy brush techniques. The temple offered many interactive stations, one of those I was invested into for 30 minutes -- calligraphy! In my bottom picture, I attempted to copy the plaque on my left. I believe I "wrote" A.K.A. shaded and drew it the best I could with a pencil.

Core Pacific City Mall - Kaylani & Lisa visited to do a daring bungee jump from the maintenance ladder, I visited to do the same thing..... just kidding! The mall is equipped with an arcade, bookstore, and playground, and shopping outlets along with fancy restaurants upstairs for the adults. Every floor has its own unique style and each floor was its own perspective toward the core. The structure of this building is phenomenal, that is all I have to say!

Dajia Riverside Park - The landscape here while standing along the promenade delivers a breathtaking view across the river! The viewpoint is spectacular from looking toward Grand Hotel to as far as the Miramar Ferris wheel. I traveled here in the morning and there were only a few people spending time at the park. Might I mention we know the following Pit Stop peeping behind the trees. All of them were picnicking so I guess this is the ideal spot for a nice day of relaxation. Of course, the rays were scorching here so sunblock is a necessity before embarking on a summer trip here. I realized I was sunburned on my arms when I returned to my hotel. Turning my back toward the river, a mosaic of Taiwanese locals decorate the divider. I believe this is where the phrase "Dajia" is signified. "The People's Park"! (Cram-studying on a plane paid off!)

Martyrs' Shrine - And here we have it, the last place the U.S. version visited! While I was here, the changing of the guards occurred and I was in awe watching these professional officers stand like a rock on their designated posts. In addition, I read the 24 boards and numerous busts spread around the back to enrich myself about the backstory of this memorial. There was even a miniature version of the entire complex directly behind the shrine. Definitely an eye-opening place for anyone to visit. Just don't think the show is over once the guards are all standing still. ;)

And of course, the common place both U.S. seasons visited....
Taipei Taoyuan International Airport

Last, but not least. Thanks for stealing the CBS logo, Taiwanese security company! :funny: :funny: :funny:
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #253 on: August 19, 2016, 01:06:21 PM »
Oh sounds like you had a great time!! Thanks for sharing!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline CanadianOwl

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #254 on: August 26, 2016, 08:27:55 PM »
London Eye (featured in TAR7 Route Marker)
http://i.imgur.com/WodKeD8.jpg

Eiffel Tower (featured in TAR1 Roadblock)
http://i.imgur.com/Zg0rnEK.jpg

Arc de Triomphe (featured in TAR1 & TAR 27 Pit Stop)
http://i.imgur.com/m6hRNET.jpg

Notre Dame (featured in TAR1 Detour)
http://i.imgur.com/gCZ4McG.jpg

Pantheon (featured in TAR1 Detour)
http://i.imgur.com/UpNfIrZ.jpg

Schloss Neuschwanstein (featured in TAR3 Pit Stop)
http://i.imgur.com/j1QPMwU.jpg

Coit Tower (featured in TAR16 Roadblock)
http://i.imgur.com/2QoYVgz.jpg

Both Detour Locations in TAR Canada 1's Vancouver leg
http://i.imgur.com/R59AvrB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/e9y7SZp.jpg

Hoodoos (featured in TAR Canada 1 Route Marker)
http://i.imgur.com/okKXKVn.jpg

Royal Tyrrell Museum (featured in TAR Canada 1 Detour)
http://i.imgur.com/KP0Ke8E.jpg

BC Place (featured in TAR Canada 3 Roadblock)
http://i.imgur.com/ktJP8Rs.jpg

Hyperlinks the pictures because the pictures are too big

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #255 on: August 26, 2016, 08:49:51 PM »
 :bigwelcome :welcome2: To RFF, CanadianOwl!

Offline CanadianOwl

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #256 on: August 26, 2016, 08:50:33 PM »

I was already welcomed in another thread :P

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #257 on: August 26, 2016, 08:51:13 PM »

I was already welcomed in another thread :P

Ah, well. Two welcomes. How lucky are you!

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #258 on: October 02, 2016, 08:58:11 PM »
Had to visit the Santa Ynez valley a couple of days ago, so I stopped by Bridlewood and took a look at the roads and signage (you can do the same on streetview, but I wanted to see it for myself). It only strengthens my suspicions that the TAR20 teams were given directions to LAX. Not handing out plane tickets at the end of the vineyard puzzle seems a tad irresponsible, but it worked out OK for them.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #259 on: November 08, 2016, 06:22:09 AM »
After 14 years I finally tracked down the location of Ban Plai Phongphang, the Pit Stop in Central Thailand in TAR 2! (In this digital age the place has managed to creep by without an online presence.)

It's unfortunately a shadow of its former self. The vegetation has creeped in and the canal is choked with algae. A hanging sign still declares it to be a guesthouse, but I'm not quite sure if it's still running - all I saw were a pack of angry dogs and an old groundskeeper.

It's 14km by tuktuk from the town of Samut Songkhram or a convuluted 10km from the floating market at Amphawa. (I ended up jogging 4km from a nearby, functional guesthouse called Na Plai Phongphang.)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #260 on: November 08, 2016, 01:33:02 PM »
The AMAZING Neobie does it again! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:

EAOWadsy

« Reply #261 on: June 06, 2017, 03:01:43 AM »
Considering that I was born and live in Auckland would mean that I have pretty much been to every destination that they went to here...

Season 2: Leg 12 - One Tree Hill (Logan Campbell Monument)

Season 5: Leg 10 - Rotorua Museum. I've been to this place many times and have scaled the location pinpointing the 'Yield' location
                 Leg 11 - Auckland Harbour Bridge. Heheh, I travel over the bridge time and time again and done the 'Harbour Bridge Climb' and watched bungee jumpers.   

Season 13: Leg 4 - Gulf Harbour - Once or twice, but driven past many times to go to Shakespeare Regional Park
                               Mount Eden - I've been to the summit many times in my lifetime
                               Sky Tower - Again, many times. I even worked here at one point

Unfortunately, I have not been to Queenstown or Te Puke which were also shown.

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #262 on: June 06, 2017, 04:15:01 AM »
I have been do:

MELBOURNE
The Melbourne Cricket Ground (TAR Australia 1 Starting Line)
Old Melbourne Gaol (TAR Norway 1)
Eureka Tower (TAR Norway 1)
Brighton Beach (TAR Israel 5)
Melbourne Museum (TAR Israel 5)
Bourke Street Mall (TAR Israel 5)
Federation Square (TAR Israel 5)
National Gallery of Victoria (TAR Israel 5)
St Kilda Beach (TAR Israel 5)

SYDNEY
Sydney Harbour (TAR Norway 1, TAR 2, TAR Asia 1, TAR Israel 1)
Bondi Beach (TAR Norway 1)

GOLD COAST
Dreamworld (TAR Asia 4)

Sadly, I have not be too Brisbane, Darwin or Perth, where TAR has visited. By hopefully, one day, I will!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #263 on: July 07, 2017, 11:13:03 AM »
Thought I would bring this topic back in relevance now that I have officially planned my second international trip to not only one... but TWO countries this summer! I am enthused to reveal that I will be retracing the destinations and following my own bucket list wishes in....
Show content
MILAN, ITALY!!!..... :conf:
LAKE COMO in NORTHERN ITALY!!!......  :roses:
and en route to GRINDELWALD, SWITZERLAND!!! :food:

My first European vacation!

This will be a week-long trip in the second half of July, and I will be sharing my memories with all of you when I return. I can't wait to experience all the sights, sounds, smells, tastes, feels, vibes, and every seventh senses I can possibly think of!
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #264 on: July 07, 2017, 01:00:27 PM »
Two beautiful places!! "Oh the sights you will see!"

Happy for you!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #265 on: July 18, 2017, 03:58:32 PM »
Will be in São Paulo in two months from now. Nice to be at a city where the race has recently been on.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #266 on: July 28, 2017, 08:59:02 PM »
I've been to Cairo, Luxor, Reykjavik (although I don't think I went anywhere that the race went to), Copenhagen, Barcelona, Venice, Rome, Prague, Paris, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Kota Kinabalu (again don't think I went anywhere that the race went to), Guangzhou, Amsterdam, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Istanbul, and Zurich (again don't think I went anywhere that the race went to)! I'll post my photos once I have a chance to go through them later.

I'm heading back to Copenhagen and going to Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk and Ålesund in November so I'll post those then.

Also, I'm doing a study abroad program in Strasbourg, France next spring, and I'm going to travel on the weekends. Right now, of places that the Race has gone to, I'm planning on visiting Tunis, Athens, Brussels, Budapest, Vienna, Porto, Florence, Brasov, Edinburgh, London, Tangier or Marrakesh, Monaco, Nice, Malta, and Tallinn so I'll have plenty to post when I get back!  :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 03:29:58 PM by nrh2110 »

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #267 on: August 05, 2017, 11:13:46 AM »
Will be uploading my summer vacation photos and experiences this weekend! Stay logged!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #268 on: August 06, 2017, 10:51:03 PM »
Two weeks ago, I fervently switched currencies, drew out my getaway plans, spent a few hours having my "Dove il"s come back to me, and geared up in my restful neck pillow - prepared to board the big, intimate commercial plane! I would soon learn the adventure I was about to embark on would top my list for favorite vacation hotspots. Looking at the reconfigured seat monitors, I pressed the option to unscroll the digital map. It was there I truly gained the epiphany of "Oh my Bejeebies"... I was headed nearly 5,000 miles to the historic and gorgeous city of
Milan, Italy
On this journey, Milan acted as the stem of my trip where I would branch out to two other captivating locations:
Lake Como and Grindelwald, Switzerland
And with that I present to you the beautiful wide-eyed world - of my first European vacation!

Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II - TAR4
Situated beside the iconic city cathedral, the Galleria offered a prestigious row of luxury goodies including Prada, Louis Vuitton, Massimo Dutti, and even a Mercedes-Benz boutique (no cars!). I was most mesmerized by the actual height of the mass merchant! Before, I assumed the building would be shorter from impressions off of photos online. While I walked by packs of visitors roaming through this exquisite arcade, I also imagined myself strutting out of one of their stores like an A-list celebrity mogul, carrying shopping totes stuffed with Italian leather purses and perfectly stitched designer blazers, to blend into this fashion-forward district. Outside of the jaw-droppingly miraculous mall, I stood in the center of Duomo and took in a 360 degree spin with my eyes (and camera). In every direction, the flawless construction of EVERY building made me wonder about the painstaking work it took for the men to chisel n' level what has continued to be the defining image of Milan to foreigners. Beyond amazing! I would certainly stay in this area given another opportunity!

Piazza Fontana - TAR4 and 29
The place of the first clue box ever located in Milan! Piazza Fontana is a fairly small roundabout park with a fountain reminiscent of New York City's Central Park. The piazza holds the only group of trees among the bustling antique architecture of Duomo and provides complementary running water for people to wash their hands. I even saw a couple dogs quench their thirst at this lovely oasis. For an added bonus, who could ever say they've traveled to Milan without rendering themselves speechless in front of Milan Cathedral?

ATMosfera Tram Ristorante - TAR29
Initially, I was going to reserve a table at this premium dining experience. Unfortunately, I opted out just to save more money for Switzerland, and I knew I would feel gluttonous for helping myself to a freaking six-course meal alone, so I gave other prospects with a romantic date or a group of friends a chance to enjoy this supper. I had a wonderful coupe of red wine with a glorious plate of handmade gnocchi at another restaurant in the area so it all worked out great! But I could not leave Milan without taking pictures of this immaculately remodeled trolley.

:swim And now onto my leg in Lake Como!

Castello de Vezio - TAR29
I arrived at Varenna first via train from Milan Centrale. So what better way to explore the all-terrain region than taking the hourlong hike up to Castello de Vezio? I pushed myself to the limits journeying up curving roads, through the woods, beside beautifully built homes, and even across a river to reach my destination, and boy, it is totally worth the unnecessary struggle. After finally stepping foot on the castle grounds, I felt like I brought out a new person within me more than any marathon could take out. Vezio, believed to be built in the Late Antiquity, was constructed as a signal/watchtower to carry out military operations. Now, it is a foster home and training center for falcons! The overlook with the infamous plaster ghosts delivered one of the most elegant views of Lake Como, and the top of the turret did not disappoint either! Legends say ghosts still haunt the place at night, but I say legends live on as ghosts. On the terrace, I could remember hearing faint voices of Ashton brushing through the wind saying, "All I can tell you is you're a beautiful ghost", to Vanck. Chilling. Not to mention, I found a possible TAR relic of splattered plaster mold casting along the balustrade.

Greenway dei Patriarchi - TAR29
Greenway dei Patriarchi is a sophisticated lakeside boardwalk that gives an up-close view of the lake, puts mountains in a different perspective, and gives another side to its tourism culture. Deep. But not deeper than finding the gate that teams entered through to stumble upon the U-Turn. (Makes no sense, but bear with me. I'm still wonder-struck).

L'Angolo Benedetto Castelli (Falesia di Menaggio) - TAR29
Menaggio was somethin' else! After I picked up some hot espresso, bottled water, and stopped by a gelateria on the lakefront, I was on my way for my own rock climbing adventure! With an instructor speaking in native tongue, I learned the precautions and rules of real "arrampicata", tips for footholds and handles, and a latent instinct of deciding my own vertical maneuvers. Eventually after a couple (AKA six) failed attempts, I reached more than halfway up the cliff where I have marked "climb a mountain" off my bucket list and was rewarded with a stunning viewpoint of big, bodacious Lake Como in the background. Today, I feel like I put those gym rock climbing walls to shame! It is truly wayyyy tougher than it looks through a screen, and can't blame Brooke now for breaking down over this literal mountain of a task.

Teresio Olivelli Park - TAR29
A hidden treasure in Tremezzo! The park sings The Sound of Music vibes. Dozens of sun-soaking people were having a picnic and playing a friendly childhood game of ball here. Some were taking a dip in the water, enjoying a little swimming, and one was learning how to paddleboard. The shining, warm weather brought out the best the midsection of Lake Como had to show off, and this park proved to be very popular in this resort town! Disappointedly, I didn't get the memo that wearing a t-shirt and jean shorts is "out of dress code", but it's whatever. :lol:

Navigazione Lago di Como/Piazza Risorgimento - Monumento ai Caduti - TAR29
On the southernmost end of Lake Como, this granite monument in its namesake city commemorated futurist architect Antonio Sant'Elia. Its engraving on the front, "Stanotte si dorme a Trieste o in Paradiso con gli eroi", simply means the fallen are at peace. On the side facing the lake, the monument pays respect to Sant'Elia's children. In the general area, the iconic Life Electric statue and Tempio Voltiano power (pun definitely intended) the city's marina area in becoming a renown tourism destination. Navigazione Lago di Como's ferry terminal in Como is also the main headquarters of the entire operations, so I also thank them for making these destinations possible for everyone to visit and enjoy. I took a picture of what appears to be the main office as their ports are ubiquitous around the lake.

:gnome Jungfrau region, here I come! Now I was short on time here, so I didn't get to visit certain race locations including the Pit Stops from seasons 3 (Chalet Arnika), 14 (Stechelberg), and train-mania 22 (Bodmi), but with 24 hours of pure fun and adrenaline... I realize I need to leave some stones unturned because all of you will see why I will call this the dreamiest place you would ever want to be, and I want to keep some mysteries unspoiled so I can go here later in life and dive more into the place, and perhaps you could even finish the journey for me and discover the essence of why I LOVE Grindelwald, why I call it the definition of utopia, and experience the magic yourself!

Gletscherschlucht - TAR3
The tour for this glacier history lesson is owned by the hotel of the same name. It costs about 20 Swiss francs per adult person, and you get to see firsthand the cold ravine below while traversing between two cavernous cliffs. During the activity, you get to stand on a suspended rope net about 50 ft above the stream where you can feel chills running down your legs and neck from the freezing temperature of the glacier water. Definitely a wonderful thing to do while exploring Grindelwald. Perfect for people who want to live life on the edge and want to play on a modern-day "rickety bridge"!

Kleine Rugen Wiese - TAR14
May I present to everyone, the unforgettably classic, original, nostalgic, and still unfazed CHEESE HILL! I finally get to see the location that produced one of my favorite tasks in the entire series! So surreal! When I found the place after strolling through the glamorous streets of Interlaken and through a community park, I was mind blown how close to the train station (West, not Ost) this was. I entered the small driveway between two homes and found myself reliving a piece of joyous TAR memory. I am pleasantly surprised how well kept the grass here is knowing a lawn mower would go through hell to maintain this type of pristine and clean. If Luke still comes to RFF, please share him this throwback! ;) Because this is private property and I don't know the landowner, I was not going to climb the hill, but I would imagine if I faced the direction walking down that hill.... I can feel the teams would receive a panoramic view of Interlaken, see the tops of aesthetically built structures in the city, a number of fearless paragliders, and a stunning view of the nearby mountains.

And now...

Kirche Grindelwald - TAR22
Starting off in the promised land near the main train station, I hiked about fifteen minutes up the flowing paths past rows of quaint shops and restaurants to the pastor's hall. These holy grounds provided some of the best views of the lodges downhill, and paid respect to the deceased in a very honorable way. Flowers in nearly every color of the rainbow covered the graves of the fallen and the unmatched mountains naturally look after this place as it has always.

Hotel Bellevue des Alpes - TAR22
Next stop was Kleine Scheidegg! I rode the cogwheel train up to this point at a 45 degree incline, scared the train would roll back toward Grindelwald at any given moment like one of those rocking pirate ship rides. Eventually reaching this small town, I found Hotel Bellevue des Alpes immediately. This resort-like ski cabin was unsuspectingly quiet, lodged ever so majestically under the Alps. Although I did not see any live Saint Bernard dogs here, I did find some at the nearby gift shop - Swiss barrel charm and everything!

Sphinx Observatory - TAR22
The Top of Europe! The cream of the crop! The moon to our Earth! Jungfraujoch is another world that I cannot truly describe. I have never felt snow during the summer before so this is definitely a milestone in my life! At this lovely viewpoint 3751 meters above sea level, the pamphlet I received said I could see the tips of mountains located in Italy and even France. The distance was magnificent, literally taking my breath away, and sending me above the clouds. The biggest glacier in the world sat so perfectly and white it looked like a giant cloud from the observatory. I cannot eloquently put how beautiful this site is until you actually go. It's more than anything I could have ever imagined and definitely should be on everyone's bucket list. Inside the exploratorium, there are a few gift shops to bypass which sell Swiss watches and Lindt chocolate. The chocolatier even contained a hologram of a chef preparing a chocolate glaze and showed a replica of how cacao is processed into this delectable treat. Other attractions included an ice cave where handcrafted sculptures are on display and even a Scrat doll and his acorn from the movie Ice Age is frozen in the castle, and Alpine Sensation where aurora-like lights and tranquil music between the main observatory and the ice palace guide people through the narrow passages. Just to remind everyone: Please DO go here! Not cheap, but definitely worth what it costs!

Eiger North Face - TAR22
Finally, my last set of photos I will share riding the electric train down Eiger. Certainly, every moment I had here topped my personal record books and no future phenomenon can replace this everlasting mental album of my adventures around Europe.

P.S. Unsure if this is the correct tunnel teams picked up the Roadblock clue on, but seeing a shaft to head outside of this gargantuan mountain is no opportunity to push away. I wasn't sure which photo was North Face, so heck with it, I put the best snapshots of the bold mountain on here! (I feel like the third photo might be it. Someone verify me on it.)
:please:

:conf:HOPE YOU ALL ENJOYED! :conf:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #269 on: August 06, 2017, 11:35:26 PM »
Oh wow Rachel!! What a wonderful trip! You sure covered all the TAR spots...I cannot believe the plaster casts! Not to mention cheese hill!! Thank you so much for sharing, I loved reading about your travels!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #270 on: August 07, 2017, 01:12:59 AM »
Rachel, what a trip!!!

Just a quick question, but what did the teams do at the Sphinx Observatory? ???

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #271 on: August 07, 2017, 10:36:45 AM »
Rachel, what a trip!!!

Just a quick question, but what did the teams do at the Sphinx Observatory? ???
They had to deliver the Saint Bernards they picked up at Hotel Bellevue via train to Jungfraujoch. They didn't necessarily go "inside" the observatory itself, but it was at the sledging/snow tubing grounds of the exploratory.

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #272 on: August 18, 2017, 02:50:46 AM »
On Monday I shall go on a six day trip to Copenhagen and Berlin  :conf:

Im actually staying in the Park Inn Alexanderplatz which is the building teams jumped off of in S22 and I hope to also do the jump aha. Photos will come :)

1000  :conf: :conf: :conf: :conf:

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #273 on: August 18, 2017, 06:37:36 PM »

Im actually staying in the Park Inn Alexanderplatz which is the building teams jumped off of in S22 and I hope to also do the jump aha. Photos will come :)

Cannot wait, BritishTARFan! And don't forget to go to the Ida Davidsen sandwich restaurant in Copenhagen. I've always wanted to taste one of their sandwiches after seeing that episode. Her sandwiches look like sushi - beautifully crafted and rich with flavor. I'll be damned if you didn't go. :lol:

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #274 on: August 19, 2017, 05:34:39 AM »

Cannot wait, BritishTARFan! And don't forget to go to the Ida Davidsen sandwich restaurant in Copenhagen. I've always wanted to taste one of their sandwiches after seeing that episode. Her sandwiches look like sushi - beautifully crafted and rich with flavor. I'll be damned if you didn't go. :lol:

Definitely will go! I may not eat the sandwiches featured on TAR however as they didn't appeal to my taste aha. I'm even popping over to Malmö to see the Stortoget.