Author Topic: Been to a RACE Location?? POST IT HERE!  (Read 280067 times)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
Re: Been to a RACE Location?? POST IT HERE!
« Reply #175 on: November 14, 2014, 07:13:43 PM »
After organizing my thoughts, writing down possibilities on paper, and taking care of things in reality... I am exuberant to say that I bought a plane ticket to an upcoming TAR adventure!!! :wohoo:

Nearing the end-of-the-year holidays, I will be retracing the experience of...
Show content
:conf: SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, U.S.A.! :conf:
...while personalizing a time-saving route to create an original exotic journey. I can't wait to talk about the trip before 2015! :happy:
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #176 on: November 17, 2014, 10:51:19 PM »
Visited in 2014 (so far)

Manukan Island, Kota Kinabalu (TAR4)
Poring Hot Springs, Sabah (TAR4)
Petronas Twin Towers, KL (TAR3 and TAR24)
Skybar in Traders Hotel, KL (TAR24)
Batu Caves (TAR11 and TAR24)
Sydney Opera House (TAR2)
Passed by Hyde Park, Circular Quay, Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney Harbour Bridge, and ate at a branch of Harry's Cafe de Wheels (TAR2)
Sydney Town Hall (TAR18)

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #177 on: November 21, 2014, 01:10:46 PM »
From TARAUS3:

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #178 on: November 29, 2014, 05:10:44 PM »
I've been only really to places in London so tower bridge, London Eye, Somerset house, Pottersfield park Ect

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #179 on: November 29, 2014, 09:26:22 PM »
I've been only really to places in London so tower bridge, London Eye, Somerset house, Pottersfield park Ect
I wish I could travel to London some day. :wine: Never flown internationally before. The closest I've been to another country is Canada near Buffalo, New York at Niagara Falls.

I am certain about wine tastings and 30-minute wheel revolutions, but is there a lavish lunch or dinner to accompany the London Eye experience?
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #180 on: November 30, 2014, 03:04:05 AM »
I wish I could travel to London some day. :wine: Never flown internationally before. The closest I've been to another country is Canada near Buffalo, New York at Niagara Falls.

I am certain about wine tastings and 30-minute wheel revolutions, but is there a lavish lunch or dinner to accompany the London Eye experience?

I think there is a way of having a meal on the London eye but it is really expensive your better off going to the Shard it is the tallest building in Europe and there are many restaurants I love London but I've never been to NY so we could have a trade  :)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #181 on: December 05, 2014, 05:29:49 PM »

I think there is a way of having a meal on the London eye but it is really expensive your better off going to the Shard it is the tallest building in Europe and there are many restaurants I love London but I've never been to NY so we could have a trade  :)
Sweet, London is definitely moving up on my international travel bucketlist.
Also, I have blindly booked a flight to a TAR finale city (see 6 posts above to reveal dest) where I will spend Christmas at. Fortunately, I will be driving to the airport in less than 12 hours of the TAR25 finale! :bounce

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #182 on: December 05, 2014, 10:45:57 PM »
I made it to hallowed grounds last October. It was truly an honour.

Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #183 on: December 05, 2014, 11:10:35 PM »
I should be able to add to this in a couple weeks.

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #184 on: December 09, 2014, 03:39:24 PM »
I know someone who's been to the wooden pier in Gdansk, Poland

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #185 on: December 27, 2014, 08:49:06 AM »
Pictures and stories from my Christmas travels to be posted some time in the next seven days this weekend. :HH:

« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 12:02:44 PM by RachelLeVega »

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #186 on: December 27, 2014, 06:14:36 PM »
Fully recuperated from jet lag and sizable meals, I have come to show a grand portion of my Christmas vacation revolving around my visits to many TAR landmarks. After cheering for the teams in the TAR25 finale, I packed for a week's worth of fun to cheer on myself in a TAR finale hotspot...
:cmas20 San Francisco, California! :cmas20
I did not travel to each key location in chronological order, however I am organizing the pictures by season.
TAR2
Atkinson-Esher House on Russian Hill
A college girl-friend of mine, a roadway aficionado, helped me navigate the one-way roads of the city to this location (and many other clue places, lol). The skyline view of downtown San Francisco and the Bay Bridge here is spectacular and by far the best! Sunny skies above and away from the main congestion of Leavenworth and Lombard Street.

Municipal Pier
Also thanks to my college pal, she played along with my itinerary to visit this crescent-shaped pier near the Maritime Museum. She told me this is the perfect place to catch free fish from the Pacific and, more notably, red crabs! What immediately shocked my thoughts were several signs nailed sophisticatedly onto barriers saying "No Taking Dungeness Crabs" and, in fine print, a $500 penalty. (Is the SF Bay breeding waters for Dungenesses?) We saw the sun beginning to set at the base of the rotunda and I had to take a picture of it while walking back to the parking lot.

East Fort Baker in Sausalito, CA
Unfortunately, I could not take any pictures from the fort itself (iconic finish line) because the road upward was under construction. Probably due to erosion, but I'm not exactly sure. But I did take a picture from the marina where you can barely, just BARELY see the roofs of Fort Baker. I also drove to another parking area to take a closer photo of the Golden Gate Bridge. The temperature dropped 10‘ at that time and I was FREEZING cold even with a coat and long pants. :lol:

TAR11
SF Old Mint
San Francisco's Old Mint is about a 15-minute walk from Market Street. The facade is still in good condition since I last saw on All-Stars. I attempted to go inside the mint for a tour, but a man washing the stairs of the building kept telling me I wasn't allowed up there... strange.

SF Botanical Garden
The Botanical Garden is free on entry from 7 to 9 AM and is definitely worth the visit for a nature lover. Various plants are available for sight and touch. In case anyone on RFF wants to go there, be sure to stay on the pavement and mulch paths; trust me, I learned that the hard way. :rotf: There is exotic fauna fluorishing all over the garden including one specifically found in South Africa (bottom left) and a banana tree originating from temperate Asia. I spent nearly two hours savoring the botanical garden before leaving for a TAR16 location.

TAR16
Battery Godfrey at Fort Point
My friend drove her car through the winding streets of SF to the northwestern edge of the city like she knew the way to the fort since birth. I was very surprised no tourists showed up here considering how many people were posing for pictures near Highway 101. This is a stunning view of the Golden Gate Bridge and the two batteries (Godfrey and Boutelle). It's a two-for-one deal taking a picture with your friend or family here.

Coit Tower
This is the first destination I saw on vacation while driving along Embarcadero Avenue. I eventually found my way up the hills to take a close-up shot of the concrete masterpiece. Speaking of masterpieces, beautiful murals painted in the style of Diego Rivera are spread in fine detail across the interior of the tower. I was not able to ride the elevator up to the piazza due to long lines, but I believe the view from the base of the tower is gorgeous enough.

Letterman Digital Arts Center
I had the assistance of my college bestie driving me to this discreet animation production studio. The rise of evening and illuminated light under the Yoda statue placed a creepy spell in the atmosphere while I was touring the courtyard and reception area. Adding to the freakiness of the vibes, the Darth Vadar suit shown in the TAR16 Roadblock summoned my suspicious instincts that I just had to get away from the area and explore the back of the centre. (And apparently, Starbucks sponsors the LDAC.)

Fairmont Hotel's Tonga Room
Once again, my friend and I went to another TAR location. This time for dinner. :lol: Inside the hallways of this 100-year old hotel, I got a once-in-a-lifetime chance to taste the Polynesia-inspired palate of the Tonga Room menu. For simple starters, I ordered one of the classic signature drinks, the Mai Tai (bottom left). It's a cool concoction of sweet-dry rum, orgeat syrup (rose water and sugar I believe), and lime juice. My friend ordered the Singapore Sling, a solution of gin, cherry liqueur, and citrus juices, but I still think the Mai Tai is better. Maybe I'm delusional, but oh well. We then were serenaded by a musician on the "riverboat" singing with his own spin on contemporary and '80s singles. We shared a Royal PuPu Platter (no offense at all, that is the name of the dish) filled with spring rolls, saucy chicken, pork, and crab rangoon. I'd give this restaurant 4 1/2 stars; the wait time into the restaurant took nearly an hour.

Great American Music Hall
Although I did not go inside the music hall because it was not open, I snapped a photo of the marquee displaying the next performer at the venue.

Candlestick Park
Last, and probably the least, Candlestick Park. I heard through the source of Internet articles about the Levi's Stadium taking over the functions of this ballpark before planning this trip and it truly shows in these pictures. Gates confine the stadium and are left for deterioration, some of the signs welcoming previous tailgaters have taken a beating, and litter has dirtied the roads. Without a current tenant, this San Francisco landmark/The Amazing Race finish line vestige will be demolished in 2015. :(
I'm sorry for ending the post on a sad note. I'll try to cheer everyone up.

:HH:

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #187 on: January 09, 2015, 02:38:13 AM »
RachelLeVega, thanks for your write-up on San Francisco. I had thought of visiting SF, but I cut that due to time constraints. I am sad to learn that Candlestick Park will be demolished soon. :(

I bought a pizza at a location visited in the last few seasons. Guess where it came from!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #188 on: January 09, 2015, 04:07:40 AM »
You did great Rachel!! Very complete tour!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #189 on: January 09, 2015, 05:42:50 AM »
Very tempted to post some of the locations that are spoiled for TAR 26. :funny:

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #190 on: January 09, 2015, 06:49:09 AM »
RachelLeVega, thanks for your write-up on San Francisco. I had thought of visiting SF, but I cut that due to time constraints. I am sad to learn that Candlestick Park will be demolished soon. :(

I bought a pizza at a location visited in the last few seasons. Guess where it came from!

The pizza place they used in Season 21?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #191 on: January 09, 2015, 09:17:35 AM »

:browsie:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #192 on: January 09, 2015, 10:22:49 PM »

:browsie:

DON'T WORRY I WON'T DO THAT. :funny: <333

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #193 on: January 10, 2015, 01:53:44 AM »

The one in Chicago S6?

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #194 on: January 10, 2015, 07:50:31 PM »
The reflecting pool at THE CAPITOL was especially reflecting today  ;)

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #195 on: January 10, 2015, 08:38:26 PM »
Time Square in NYC (TAR 25 Starting Line)
Washington D.C. (TAR 22 finale city)
Atlanta, Georgia (TAR 19 finale city)
Philippines (TAR 5 & TAR25)

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2015, 05:40:26 PM »
Here are some from my recent trip to Europe. I'm sure I'm missing more locations.

Kleine Scheidegg, Switzerland

Jungfrau Railway, Switzerland

Outside Jungfraujoch, highest train station in Europe, Switzerland

Sphinx Observatory, Switzerland

Piazza_del_Popolo, Rome, Italy

Spanish Steps, Rome, Italy

Pantheon, Rome, Italy

Altare della Patria, Rome, Italy

Colosseum, Rome, Italy

Rialto Bridge, Venice, Italy

Palazzo da Mosto ???, Venice, Italy (not sure if this was where the mask roadblock happened in TAR 4 or just some other old building on the Grand Canal)

View of the Old Town Square from the astronomical clock tower, Prague, Czech Republic

Charles Bridge/Vltava river, Prague, Czech Republic

Charles Bridge, Prague, Czech Republic

Brandenburg Gate, Berlin, Germany

Checkpoint Charlie, Berlin, Germany
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:06:51 PM by redwings8831 »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2015, 07:02:13 PM »
Can you stick the location under each pic please? Beautiful pics!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #198 on: January 11, 2015, 07:54:03 PM »
Can you stick the location under each pic please? Beautiful pics!!

These have been edited in. Thought you guys were supposed to guess.  :funny: :lol:

Also not pictured (and I didn't even realize it until looking at the routes on wikipedia earlier today), the night in Salzburg we at at the Sternbräu restaurant, which was where teams did the chimney sweep roadblock in TAR 18.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:07:38 PM by redwings8831 »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #199 on: January 12, 2015, 01:19:17 PM »
Love them!!
RFF's Golden Rule: