The Amazing Race > The Amazing Race Discussion

Been to a RACE Location?? POST IT HERE!

<< < (38/72) > >>

RachelLeVega:
Pictures and stories from my Christmas travels to be posted some time in the next seven days this weekend. :HH:

RachelLeVega:
Fully recuperated from jet lag and sizable meals, I have come to show a grand portion of my Christmas vacation revolving around my visits to many TAR landmarks. After cheering for the teams in the TAR25 finale, I packed for a week's worth of fun to cheer on myself in a TAR finale hotspot...
:cmas20 San Francisco, California! :cmas20I did not travel to each key location in chronological order, however I am organizing the pictures by season.
TAR2
Atkinson-Esher House on Russian Hill
A college girl-friend of mine, a roadway aficionado, helped me navigate the one-way roads of the city to this location (and many other clue places, lol). The skyline view of downtown San Francisco and the Bay Bridge here is spectacular and by far the best! Sunny skies above and away from the main congestion of Leavenworth and Lombard Street.

Municipal Pier
Also thanks to my college pal, she played along with my itinerary to visit this crescent-shaped pier near the Maritime Museum. She told me this is the perfect place to catch free fish from the Pacific and, more notably, red crabs! What immediately shocked my thoughts were several signs nailed sophisticatedly onto barriers saying "No Taking Dungeness Crabs" and, in fine print, a $500 penalty. (Is the SF Bay breeding waters for Dungenesses?) We saw the sun beginning to set at the base of the rotunda and I had to take a picture of it while walking back to the parking lot.

East Fort Baker in Sausalito, CA
Unfortunately, I could not take any pictures from the fort itself (iconic finish line) because the road upward was under construction. Probably due to erosion, but I'm not exactly sure. But I did take a picture from the marina where you can barely, just BARELY see the roofs of Fort Baker. I also drove to another parking area to take a closer photo of the Golden Gate Bridge. The temperature dropped 10‘ at that time and I was FREEZING cold even with a coat and long pants. :lol:

TAR11
SF Old Mint
San Francisco's Old Mint is about a 15-minute walk from Market Street. The facade is still in good condition since I last saw on All-Stars. I attempted to go inside the mint for a tour, but a man washing the stairs of the building kept telling me I wasn't allowed up there... strange.

SF Botanical Garden
The Botanical Garden is free on entry from 7 to 9 AM and is definitely worth the visit for a nature lover. Various plants are available for sight and touch. In case anyone on RFF wants to go there, be sure to stay on the pavement and mulch paths; trust me, I learned that the hard way. :rotf: There is exotic fauna fluorishing all over the garden including one specifically found in South Africa (bottom left) and a banana tree originating from temperate Asia. I spent nearly two hours savoring the botanical garden before leaving for a TAR16 location.

TAR16
Battery Godfrey at Fort Point
My friend drove her car through the winding streets of SF to the northwestern edge of the city like she knew the way to the fort since birth. I was very surprised no tourists showed up here considering how many people were posing for pictures near Highway 101. This is a stunning view of the Golden Gate Bridge and the two batteries (Godfrey and Boutelle). It's a two-for-one deal taking a picture with your friend or family here.

Coit Tower
This is the first destination I saw on vacation while driving along Embarcadero Avenue. I eventually found my way up the hills to take a close-up shot of the concrete masterpiece. Speaking of masterpieces, beautiful murals painted in the style of Diego Rivera are spread in fine detail across the interior of the tower. I was not able to ride the elevator up to the piazza due to long lines, but I believe the view from the base of the tower is gorgeous enough.

Letterman Digital Arts Center
I had the assistance of my college bestie driving me to this discreet animation production studio. The rise of evening and illuminated light under the Yoda statue placed a creepy spell in the atmosphere while I was touring the courtyard and reception area. Adding to the freakiness of the vibes, the Darth Vadar suit shown in the TAR16 Roadblock summoned my suspicious instincts that I just had to get away from the area and explore the back of the centre. (And apparently, Starbucks sponsors the LDAC.)

Fairmont Hotel's Tonga Room
Once again, my friend and I went to another TAR location. This time for dinner. :lol: Inside the hallways of this 100-year old hotel, I got a once-in-a-lifetime chance to taste the Polynesia-inspired palate of the Tonga Room menu. For simple starters, I ordered one of the classic signature drinks, the Mai Tai (bottom left). It's a cool concoction of sweet-dry rum, orgeat syrup (rose water and sugar I believe), and lime juice. My friend ordered the Singapore Sling, a solution of gin, cherry liqueur, and citrus juices, but I still think the Mai Tai is better. Maybe I'm delusional, but oh well. We then were serenaded by a musician on the "riverboat" singing with his own spin on contemporary and '80s singles. We shared a Royal PuPu Platter (no offense at all, that is the name of the dish) filled with spring rolls, saucy chicken, pork, and crab rangoon. I'd give this restaurant 4 1/2 stars; the wait time into the restaurant took nearly an hour.

Great American Music Hall
Although I did not go inside the music hall because it was not open, I snapped a photo of the marquee displaying the next performer at the venue.

Candlestick Park
Last, and probably the least, Candlestick Park. I heard through the source of Internet articles about the Levi's Stadium taking over the functions of this ballpark before planning this trip and it truly shows in these pictures. Gates confine the stadium and are left for deterioration, some of the signs welcoming previous tailgaters have taken a beating, and litter has dirtied the roads. Without a current tenant, this San Francisco landmark/The Amazing Race finish line vestige will be demolished in 2015. :(
I'm sorry for ending the post on a sad note. I'll try to cheer everyone up.

:HH:

Genius:
RachelLeVega, thanks for your write-up on San Francisco. I had thought of visiting SF, but I cut that due to time constraints. I am sad to learn that Candlestick Park will be demolished soon. :(

I bought a pizza at a location visited in the last few seasons. Guess where it came from!

georgiapeach:
You did great Rachel!! Very complete tour!!

Jobby:
Very tempted to post some of the locations that are spoiled for TAR 26. :funny:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version