Author Topic: Amazing Race Season 15 ratings  (Read 66212 times)

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
Re: Amazing Race Season 15 ratings
« Reply #225 on: December 10, 2009, 05:02:54 PM »
Probably the most scenery TAR has ever shown was the TAR 6 premier. Iceland  :hearts:

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #226 on: December 10, 2009, 08:43:15 PM »
Probably the most scenery TAR has ever shown was the TAR 6 premier. Iceland  :hearts:
They have rarely done snow (or icy areas) to start with.  But No matter my feelings on the cast I loved the start of seasons 6 and 4.  Both were quite beautiful.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #227 on: December 11, 2009, 06:45:58 AM »
I would love to see TAR16 start with a 2 hour episode after the Superbowl and before the Olympics. I know the always start with the fly to someplace and camp out. This lets the teams get used to the travel and lack of sleep, etc. But a good two hour episode with lots going on to get the viewers excited about new TAR......then take a break for the Olympics. Then the majority of viewers would be anticipating more TAR after the Olympics instead of trying to remind viewers to watch after the Olympics.......give them all a tease first........And Phil could always say during the previews that TAR will be back right after the Olympics........
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #228 on: December 11, 2009, 06:19:44 PM »
Here is what Phil said about why we don't have hi-def:

...why hasn't "The Amazing Race" followed the industry trend and moved into high definition?

"I think it should be in hi-def," Keoghan agrees. "The complication, or one of the challenges that we have is that we do utilize a lot of foreign crews when we're traveling. It's very difficult to just turn up in Siberia and say, 'Oh, let's call the local guy with the HD camera and he can come down and supplement our shooting.' It's a little bit more complicated than, say, facilitating an HD shoot on 'Survivor,' where you can fly all of the equipment into one spot and you've got all your technical support there, you've got a guy who can sit down every night and look after the equipment. We're moving at breakneck speed, 28 days, flying hundreds-of-thousands of miles, or at least anywhere from 75,000 miles in a given race, so we just don't have the same luxury of being an 'Idol' or 'Survivor,' where everything is brought to one place, it's 69 degrees, where the air-conditioning is perfect. We're out sweating in Botswana or anywhere else and that's been a huge part of the challenge. But, I absolutely agree with you. I'd love to see the show in HD. I don't think there's a show on TV that lends itself more to HD."

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2009-3-28-phil-keoghan-discussing-biking-across-america
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #229 on: December 11, 2009, 07:50:25 PM »
Lost my original, and much better reply, but basically that's understandable, the HD thing.  If they don't ever do this, that's fine.  However, if they had the season in HD, given all that it would take?  That would pretty much guarantee the emmy for life!

That, of course, barring something stupid that would happen to cost them the title, with or without HD.
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #230 on: December 11, 2009, 08:11:56 PM »
I understand the logistics, but pretty soon, HD will be the standard around the world. Hopefully, we'll see TAR in HD in our lifetime. :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #231 on: December 11, 2009, 08:51:37 PM »
I don't think the issue is with SWRP having HD cameras; it's a matter of having local crews who own that technology and put it to use outside the context of TAR. That's where it becomes expensive, and WRP couldn't justify being the ones to bear that expense for camera teams they would only use for a few days, at most. (I'm not talking about the crews that travel with Phil and the teams, but the local crews that would be at locations along the way.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #232 on: December 11, 2009, 09:48:02 PM »
We're moving at breakneck speed, 28 days, flying hundreds-of-thousands of miles, or at least anywhere from 75,000 miles in a given race.

Sadly, it's now about 25000 to 40000 miles in 3 weeks.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #233 on: December 11, 2009, 11:54:14 PM »
Phil was referring to the totalnumber of miles involved for the different flights, for Phil, crews, production, Bert, Elise, planning, eliminated teams, etc.
-- theschnauzers

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #234 on: December 12, 2009, 12:27:29 AM »
While there has never been any real doubt that TAR has more challenges then a show like survivor (or even many of the documentaries currently being shot around all corners of the globe) at some point (and possible soon), the show will appear rather old, and that will absolutely cost them some viewers (and possible a considerable amount).

As HD TV sets penetration increases in the US, and more and more programming readily available in HD format, TAR will lose serious appeal.  CBS might want to consider two possible options.

1.  Filming two cycles (one year, to allow market growth in both the US and the world, not to mention expense of units to drop even further as well as the weight to decline, both of which are still issues) in a race planned to maximize the locations where local talent already does exist (and there are tons of places around the world where this is the case). 

2.  Or they might consider whether the financial expense of hiring experienced camera talent and if necessary having groups of them at "trouble" spots would be less then the possible long term risk to  what has turned into an extremely consistent moderate success for CBS.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #235 on: December 12, 2009, 01:34:15 PM »
I don't know. Is it really that bad to watch a show that is not in HD? I'm not understanding why some people are so annoyed about this. The show looks clear enough to me. They aren't going to lose me as a viewer, HD or not.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #236 on: December 12, 2009, 01:55:02 PM »
I don't know. Is it really that bad to watch a show that is not in HD? I'm not understanding why some people are so annoyed about this. The show looks clear enough to me. They aren't going to lose me as a viewer, HD or not.

I agree. Patience guys! TAR 14 showed that it can still be quite stunning even if not in HD. All you need are good locations and tasks.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #237 on: December 12, 2009, 08:27:59 PM »
HD or no HD, just make sure my TAR stays. :kisses

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #238 on: December 13, 2009, 01:23:58 PM »
Well were fans of the show, far beyond the casual viewer.  I would watch in black and white.  I would be willing to beat that many wouldn't.

But as tv gets larger (average size at homes), as more and more people watch HD, shows that don't will feel some lose. 

TV went through this with the advent of color programming and some shows were much slower to transition took a ratings hit.

Now I wouldn't expect it next year (at least in any significant numbers) but after that.  I honestly would expect to see drop off, due solely to its filming.

Offline Seattlite

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #239 on: December 16, 2009, 09:27:04 AM »
When Survivor went to HD they promoted the heck out of it and it did not seem to bump up the ratings.  I did not know about the local crew thing that Phil talks about but I was hoping they would make the switch next year. Then I would be waiting for the next thing coming to TV, TAR 3D.