Author Topic: TAR15 EP1504 "Sean Penn Cambodia Here We Come" (Cambodia)  (Read 88811 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: TAR15 EP1504 "Sean Penn Cambodia Here We Come" (Cambodia)
« Reply #175 on: October 12, 2009, 05:49:23 PM »
I think its a wrapper from something, maybe a breakfast bar?

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #176 on: October 12, 2009, 05:56:08 PM »
I think its a wrapper from something, maybe a breakfast bar?
Oh, silly me...

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #177 on: October 12, 2009, 06:16:10 PM »
Zev and Justin won motorcycles  :yess:

I hope TPTB also gave motorcycles to Sam and Dan, just to be fair. They had their travel documents and weren't disqualified. (This is sort of like the four-way tie on the first leg of TAR 4 when the prize was a trip and TPTB gave all four teams that prize.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #178 on: October 12, 2009, 11:29:22 PM »
tvguide interview ...

TVGuide.com: They didn't announce a prize for you guys. Was that edited out because you eventually got eliminated?
Justin: It was probably the line of the episode, but it got edited out. We won motorcycles and after Phil told us, Zev goes, "Motorcycle?! I can barely drive a car!"
Zev: What am I going to do with a motorcycle? My mom's not going to let me drive a motorcycle.
Justin: I don't think anyone's ever rejected a prize before, but that's what he did. But I don't think we'll be getting those motorcycles. I don't think you'll be seeing us riding on [Highway] 1 with wind blowing in our hair.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Amazing-Races-Justin-1010806.aspx?rss=news&partnerid=spi&profileid=05#comments

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #179 on: October 13, 2009, 12:55:52 AM »
tvguide interview ...

TVGuide.com: They didn't announce a prize for you guys. Was that edited out because you eventually got eliminated?
Justin: It was probably the line of the episode, but it got edited out. We won motorcycles and after Phil told us, Zev goes, "Motorcycle?! I can barely drive a car!"
Zev: What am I going to do with a motorcycle? My mom's not going to let me drive a motorcycle.
Justin: I don't think anyone's ever rejected a prize before, but that's what he did. But I don't think we'll be getting those motorcycles. I don't think you'll be seeing us riding on [Highway] 1 with wind blowing in our hair.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Amazing-Races-Justin-1010806.aspx?rss=news&partnerid=spi&profileid=05#comments

I love Zev & Justin, but the prize should go to Sam & Dan. You've got to follow the rules to win a prize. When Phil said "You're team number 1!" I thought they might still be in it. I was fooled. But I'm bugged by how everyone is acting like they still won the leg. They didn't (sadly).
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #180 on: October 13, 2009, 12:57:44 AM »
Is this the passport?

Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #181 on: October 13, 2009, 01:00:04 AM »
The black thing on the car? I doubt it. Looks a little too small.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2009, 01:02:54 AM »
No...you may not be able to see Elim Station where all is explained. ...they went into a monastery in error at the monkey task. ...it was dark and Justin pulled out his headlamp...and that is when the passport fell out. It was found there later and returned to the Embassy. Justin thus was sure it was his fault.  :'( :'(
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2009, 01:05:14 AM »
No...you may not be able to see Elim Station where all is explained. ...they went into a monastery in error at the monkey task. ...it was dark and Justin pulled out his headlamp...and that is when the passport fell out. It was found there later and returned to the Embassy. Justin thus was sure it was his fault.  :'( :'(

aw... right.

Sorry  :-[ (I can't view the Elim Stations because we are blocked (?)  :'( )
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #184 on: October 13, 2009, 01:43:20 AM »
I missed this long shot during the broadcast (monkey mats on the right, camera is pointing south) that confirms the earlier work of Chateau.  :tup:

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #185 on: October 13, 2009, 07:03:45 AM »
The black thing on the car? I doubt it. Looks a little too small.

Hi-Jack Ambush:

HAPPY 1700Th POST HOOKY!

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #186 on: October 13, 2009, 09:22:14 AM »
I missed this long shot during the broadcast (monkey mats on the right, camera is pointing south) that confirms the earlier work of Chateau. 

Thanks Slowhatch!

No wonder it was so hard for me to find that location. There is a brand new building there.  :ascared   Turns out that the GE image  must be older than the 2009 date on it.  Is there a way to find the real image dates?  Because I was using that 2009 as an indication of how recent the image was taken.

Based on preview shot I was hunting for side by side peaked gables.  That led me to the wrong place.  GE's image of this place only has one of the peaked gables.   :groan:

It took Puddin's picture skills to match those stupa tops.  Nice work Puddin.  And then, the shot that you found of the monks returning to the wat had the missing building in it!
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #187 on: October 13, 2009, 09:30:48 AM »
This is the only thing I could find, a inauguration dated back in 2007.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #188 on: October 13, 2009, 09:48:54 AM »
This episode actually reminded me alot about many incidences which happened in the past seasons.

On Zev and Justin checking in first and getting eliminated -
Heather and Eve, anyone?

On Zev and Justin losing passport -
Toni and Dallas, anyone?

On Maria and Tiffany arriving last but not eliminated -
Kelly and Christy anyone?

On Sam and Dan, Gary and Matt, Herbert and Nathaniel continuously being the top 5 teams -
Season 9, Eric and Jeremy and BJ and Tyler anyone?
Season 1, Kevin and Drew, Joe and Bill and Rob and Brennan anyone?
Season 4, David and Jeff, Reichen and Chip, Jon and Al anyone?

I love the Detour, but would have loved it more if there were more people in the market. This could have been a great Roadblock in India! Find the girl wearing the scarf, in an Indian market! EPIC LOVE. :funny:

Thought the persuading a family of 4 to buy helmets was actually quite easy and was shocked the teams didn't actually wanted to do it. I'm very sure a family of 4 in cambodia can afford 4 spiffeh helmets for 10 bucks over there.. and it's for safety as well, so why not? And you get to be shot on The Amazing Race too?!?!

I didn't like the Roadblock. I thought it came off as lame and very insulting towards the Cambodian culture. Next time people think about Cambodia on The Amazing Race, the first word that will probably pop up may be "Monkeys". Cambodia is not all about monkeys! I loved TAR 13's Cambodia leg so much more. The leg then was so much fun and showed as the land and sea of the country and so much of her culture and people.

And i'm just darn sad Zev and Justin lost their passport, but i'm darn happy Maria and Tiff got to stay for another leg! <3

I'm officially rooting for Meghan and Cheyne and Brian and Ericka. I just can't find any reasons not to love Meghan and Cheyne. They're just such a lovable couple! :hearts:

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #189 on: October 13, 2009, 11:52:40 AM »
Granted, Phnom Penh doesn't have great places such as Angkor Wat or Tonle Sap. Although TAR 13's Cambodia leg was far more exciting than this one.

On the other hand, though, this leg's roadblock was better than the other one.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #190 on: October 13, 2009, 06:02:45 PM »
Granted, Phnom Penh doesn't have great places such as Angkor Wat or Tonle Sap. Although TAR 13's Cambodia leg was far more exciting than this one.

On the other hand, though, this leg's roadblock was better than the other one.

I actually like the other one better. Although some people may think that going to a chamber room to do a clap is simply lame.. but ain't the amazing race all about travelling and experience? I thought tasks like this, which let you experience interesting/fun stuff in the country is really interesting and takes your mind off the stress of the race. For example, the foot massage in China in TAR 14, elephants in the Phuket Zoo in TAR 14, fighting the cholitas in TAR 13 and many other more great tasks the producers have put on the race. These are tasks you can't do except by travelling to the country and experience it for your own..

As for the monkeying around RB this leg.. you can monkey around anytime at home and do those acts if you want. That's what i didn't like about it. :(

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #191 on: October 13, 2009, 06:58:19 PM »

As for the monkeying around RB this leg.. you can monkey around anytime at home and do those acts if you want. That's what i didn't like about it. :(
Now we all know what Joab does in his spare time  :lol:  :monkey

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #192 on: October 13, 2009, 08:05:01 PM »
Justin should've been less hasty while getting out the headlamp.  If he had, he & Zev would've still been in the Race.  Of course, that would've meant that Maria & Tiffany would've been out and there would be no all-female teams left in the Race, but I like Zev & Justin more.

Belle Book

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #193 on: October 13, 2009, 08:28:32 PM »
Justin should've been less hasty while getting out the headlamp.  If he had, he & Zev would've still been in the Race.  Of course, that would've meant that Maria & Tiffany would've been out and there would be no all-female teams left in the Race, but I like Zev & Justin more.

Belle Book

I think Justin beat himself up enough, could've, should've its all hindsight. I'm glad they were cast, I will really really miss them.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #194 on: October 13, 2009, 08:35:59 PM »
They didn't know and when you're racing, every second counts. Justin had no idea at the time that he was in the wrong place. Even so, they still finished first in the leg, they just didn't have the passport.

I give them props for admitting they didn't have the passport and I also give them props for not blaming each other. This could have easily turned into Blame My Fellow Racer, but Zev had Justin's back. Plus, Justin as puddin has mentioned has beaten himself aplenty over it. I wish they were able to go further, but as we've seen with Toni & Dallas, you can't go anywhere without your passport. Sometime fate pulls evil tricks at the most inopportune time.
Just here to visit.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2009, 11:25:59 PM »
Time Magazine has online its original article from 1967 on Jackie Kennedy's visit to Cambodia (link). As it turns out, it was an official visit, as Phil stated in the episode, but it was not a state visit, as she was not representing then-President Lyndon Johnson, and she was not First Lady, but she was there for the dedication of a street in a port city to honor the late President John Kennedy.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #196 on: October 13, 2009, 11:42:17 PM »
Cool link! Thanks!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #197 on: October 14, 2009, 12:06:40 AM »
This episode actually reminded me alot about many incidences which happened in the past seasons.

Heather and Eve, anyone?

Toni and Dallas, anyone?

On Sam and Dan, Gary and Matt, Herbert and Nathaniel continuously being the top 5 teams -

I'm officially rooting for Meghan and Cheyne and Brian and Ericka. I just can't find any reasons not to love Meghan and Cheyne. They're just such a lovable couple! :hearts:

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. somewhat no (only Reichen/Chip stayed consistently near the front for the first five legs :funny:)
5. I can find reasons not to love Meghan & Cheyne (I don't hate them, but they're showing Nick/Starr-esque domination), but they'd make better winners than half the winners I've witnessed winning, so I'll be very okay with it :funny:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 12:10:59 AM by Raymond »
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #198 on: October 14, 2009, 03:40:10 PM »

Belle Book

I think Justin beat himself up enough, could've, should've its all hindsight. I'm glad they were cast, I will really really miss them.

You're probably right.  Besides, it was so dark that the cameras missed it as well.  Hindsight's always 20/20 and it's a much less egregious error than Dallas's error two seasons ago anyway.  I was just frustrated.

Belle Book

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #199 on: October 15, 2009, 01:19:39 AM »

Heather and Eve, anyone?

Toni and Dallas, anyone?

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. somewhat no (only Reichen/Chip stayed consistently near the front for the first five legs :funny:)
5. I can find reasons not to love Meghan & Cheyne (I don't hate them, but they're showing Nick/Starr-esque domination), but they'd make better winners than half the winners I've witnessed winning, so I'll be very okay with it :funny:

Yeah, Joab, not much evidence of that in Season 4. That season was actually the most unpredictable of all the races (if you look at placements in the first few legs).

And in response to Raymond, I also don't want to see any Nick & Starr-esque traits of any kind in Meghan & Cheyne. I keep worrying that I'm going to start disliking them, even though I don't want to.