Author Topic: TAR15 EP1503: "It’s Like Being Dropped on Planet Mars (Vietnam)"  (Read 61454 times)

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR15 EP1503: "It’s Like Being Dropped on Planet Mars (Vietnam)"
« Reply #175 on: October 05, 2009, 02:30:04 AM »
 ;D

... note: over 2.5 miles from Roadblock to Pitstop
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 02:35:13 AM by Boingo »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #176 on: October 05, 2009, 07:01:40 AM »
My Tho is just the next port down from Cai Be: 25 miles or so.

Here's some more about MyTho. It could have been the site of all the Episode 3 action if WRP had wanted it to be:

My Tho sprawls along the bank of the northernmost branch of the Mekong River. Its proximity to Saigon has made My Tho the most popular destination for day-trippers who hope to catch a taste of authentic Mekong delta life. Here visitors can take a sampan along the waterways, visit orchards and try the local famous food of Elephant's Ear Fish.

Boat trips are the highlight of a visit to Mytho. Usually, destinations include a coconut workshop, a honey bee farm and orchard gardens. If time allowed, should not miss Vinh Trang Pagoda, a beautiful and well maintained sanctuary and Dong Tam snake farm, a center for breeding snakes producing venom for exportation.

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #177 on: October 05, 2009, 12:17:11 PM »
Flight Time and Big Easy - It's nice to see a different team coming in first, but somehow I don't really like the idea of two big guys out-running a small girl (relative) when Meghan and Cheyne were ahead. Still, they did really well throughout the whole leg, so I've gotta give them credit for doing so well and working together as a team.

Meghan and Cheyne - I wondered if they'd still be so consistent after the first two legs and indeed, they remain consistent. Seriously, this team is FAST! They keep appearing out of nowhere and start leading the pack even if they weren't initially leading. What's more, they're working really well together. I hope it will stay this way, I'm gonna start rooting for them.

Gary and Matt - I'm surprised by how well this team is doing, be it teamwork or the race itself. I didn't particularly like them before the show started, but I'm starting to like them now. They may not be as funny as Mel and Mike, but they're doing as well!

Brian and Ericka - WOW to this team, jumping from last place to fourth! I'm genuinely impressed, love how they worked so well together too. Zebra love! :)

Sam and Dan - Really, I wish that they would argue less and that Sam would stop yelling at Dan. I still like them, but I hope their relationship gets better over the race, like Tammy and Victor's. And I must say, I was impressed when they stopped to help Maria and Tiffany, that was really sweet and gentlemanly.

Maria and Tiffany - What was Maria doing during the Detour when Tiffany was dragging the whole animal on her own? And TIffany rocked the Roadblock too, I've got newfound respect for her. Still kinda love this team, and their suitcases, lol.

Mika and Canaan - They made up some time at the end I guess, but they're still staying at the back of the pack. Wish they would step up their game. I still like them though, they're just so cute! Love the dancing at the first Route Info lol.

Zev and Justin - I was thinking, why on earth did they have to take the giraffe when there were so many other smaller animals around them? That was one bad decision which nearly got them eliminated. At least they made up time and are still in the race.

Lance and Keri - They're just plain annoying. I mean, Lance is just plain annoying. He goes on and on about being able to beat them all in the race. I give him props for his physical strength but other than that, this team is plain clueless. Just look at how they were searching the whole place for a clue when it was inside a bullet. It's a pity they weren't eliminated, but I hope they'll be gone soon.

Marcy and Ron - Another bad decision made. They probably shouldn't have chosen the other Detour, it was so consuming. On top of that, they didn't read the clue and ask the locals for decipheration! I wonder how much time they wasted trying to decipher it on their own. It was sad to see them go, but I guess they had to pay for a bad decision. Marcy's really sweet though, the part where she teared over the country's situation made me go awwwww.

My team rankings:
1. Brian and Ericka
2. Sam and Dan
3. Maria and Tiffany
4. Meghan and Cheyne
5. Mika and Canaan
6. Zev and Justin
7. Flight Time and Big Easy
8. Gary and Matt
9. Lance and Keri
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #178 on: October 05, 2009, 05:26:20 PM »
I shall opine on last night's episode:

Moving pit stop was a nice touch. The fact that they remained in the same country means NO AIRPORT DRAMA, :yess:. In exchange, we get a very interesting task with water puppets. Liked how the clue wasn't too direct (still easy to figure out, except for one team  :groan:), though the "bullet" may offend some.

The detour and the roadblock was sort of meh. I do like how Word Play incorporated Vietnamese language, while the roadblock was apparently somewhat relative to Vietmanese culture.

Overall, another solid episode like the Cai Be leg. Some teams got a bit less bland and a tad more likeable, while some just demonstrated their incompetence and insensitivity. 9/10.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #179 on: October 06, 2009, 08:18:13 AM »
I am very disappointed Mika and Canaan's U-TURN on Lance and Keri wasn't shown.

It would have been real good TV and what's the point of having a U-TURN on the race and you frickin' don't show it?

AIN'T IT TRUE?

Offline scruffs

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #180 on: October 06, 2009, 09:47:23 AM »
well just want to ask how do you find out about that "unaired" U-Turn? Just freakin wondering!  :lol:
Chance favors prepared minds.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #181 on: October 06, 2009, 10:26:34 AM »
well just want to ask how do you find out about that "unaired" U-Turn? Just freakin wondering!  :lol:

Hush you. A good detective never reveals their sources! But it IS true.

Agree on the wish we had seen it. But since it was used on a team ahead of them, it had no effect. Shades of Kynt and Vyxsin.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #182 on: October 06, 2009, 12:34:01 PM »
A U-turn this early? I wish there'd be a U-turn after each detour.

Someone should update Wikipedia.

Offline BobbL

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #183 on: October 07, 2009, 07:07:38 PM »
(Finally able to log into the RFF system...upgrade ends Captcha problems...Hallelujah!)

Here it is, Ep 3, and the teams are already sorting out. The Top 5 are the tops.  The cream is rising.  The rest are sinking.  (Lance not fast enough).  They did a great job of putting together the Vietnam legs -- from mud to ducks to animal figures.  Vietnam seems to inspire TAR.

Zebra love here too.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #184 on: October 07, 2009, 09:40:57 PM »
girlclumsy has kindly uploade some video for us  that she caught of Sam and Dan running to the MAT in HCMC, followed by Maria and Tiffany... A nice behind the scenes glimpse!!

Her comments:

A chance encounter with The Amazing Race filming at the Reunification Palace in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam on 23 July 2009. We were looking through the fence, when we heard a large SLAM behind us. It was two blokes scrambling out of a cab. They ran off to our left, and entered the grounds. There was a small delay - I guess they were getting cameras into place and dumping backpacks.

Then they ran across the road in front of us to our right, where we could see Phil the host standing with a film crew. I believe I started filming just as we were yelling out "Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!" by way of support - of course, they're American.

The girls we then filmed were the second pair in. They ran around from a different direction, again after a small delay.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #185 on: October 07, 2009, 11:37:10 PM »
Farking AWESOME Video! Thanks for posting peach and WOOHOO clumsygirl! Thank you so much!  :jumpy: :jumpy:

in other news I found my missing 15 minutes of this episode! It went to my live tv file for some reason but I got it  :wohoo: