Author Topic: TAR15EP 1&2 "They Thought Godzilla Was Walking Down the Street" (Japan/Vietnam)  (Read 121802 times)

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I am going to guess that it is "Three Minutes Happines" store in Shibuya:

Three Minutes Happiness
With such low price tags on everything, it's easy to go a bit crazy at this two-story discount shop. Highlights include loads of affordable clothing, a towering bin of cute $2-per-pair underwear, and a bounty of bright hand towels (there are no towels in public restrooms, so everyone carries a reusable one).
3-5 Udagawa-cho, Shibuya-ku, 03-5459-1851

:tup: excellent!  good job.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
 :lol:  Oh the walk's not that long, peach.  Only a quarter mile to "Three Minutes Happiness" from NHK studio.

eta:  Looks like it's an easy trek till they get to Shibuya Crossing.  They may have to go through Shibuya Station to cross over the JR train tracks to get to the shrine.  Hope they don't lose anyone in the station.  :lol:  Come to think of it, just Shibuya Crossing could be a nightmare herding a load of tourists through that maze.   :groan:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 06:25:37 PM by Boingo »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
None of the work done previously by Peach or by me helps in finding where  Konno Hachimangu really is. Here is a writeup on it:

Konno Hachimangu
(3-5-12 Shibuya), a historical shrine said
to have been built in 1092. The Konnozakura
cherry tree to the side of the main
shrine has been designated a municipal
natural monument and is well known as
providing an unusual variety of cherry
whose branches bloom in both single and doublepetaled
flowers.

I can't copy this map, but it shows that this shrine is located very close to Shibuya station. This dovetails with the description boingo has provided to pass Three Minutes Happiness store on the way to Shibuya station.  You can see the location of this shrine in the map at the top right of this link: Konno Hachimangu Shrine

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Here's a view of 3-Min Happiness. I thought that the Dennys you see when you turn the camera around might be same place Ray/Yolanda stopped for directions, but it turns out their Dennys was several blocks south.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
THAT is SOOO cool!! :jumpy: Can you do it at the shrine??
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
here is apskip's map! :jam:

That start staue? Is to the little dog that met the subway train every night for ten years waiting for his (dead) master to come home...  :'(
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Thats really cool Slowhatch and by coincidence there is a movie coming out about the story behind the Hachiko Statue and ya'll know it was shown on Season 9 as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn78kb2Wj54

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I'm not sure if this is it. If it is, then it's perfect for production; in the middle of the city yet hidden from public view.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Well puddin has me cryng about the doggie now, but I think that looks great! Somewhere today I bypassed a pic of the approach..I'll go looking again!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
I think the white building behind the site in your map may match this one?

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=721038
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
The map on the main Emporis page matches Boingo's spot.  :tup:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Flights from Tokyo Narita Airport if on Monday July 18 (see note below) or one day later to HoChiMinh City were most likely VN951 1030 1430. They are also 3 nonstop flights late in the afternoon, but I estimate they are much less likely.

Note: I was doing the flight work for this from memory, assuming that they landed in Tokyo on Saturday July 16 , but I forgot about the International Date Line (who me?) and did not consult the calendar, which was off by 2 days from what was in my head.

I had checked the nonstop flights NRT to SGN for Tuesdays and they are essentially the same.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 06:44:01 AM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Flights from Tokyo Narita Airport if on Sunday July 17 or one day later to HoChiMinh City were most likely VN951 1030 1430. They are also multiple flights late in the afternoon, but I estimate they are much less likely.

Teams don't arrive into Tokyo until Sun the 19th, I think we have been looking at Tues the 21st for a possible Pitstop release? Do those flights work then?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF

I ran the original photo thru your cool EXIF Data thingy Slowhatch .. the Data on this photo is FWIW
DateTimeOriginal : 2009:07:19 21:27:16

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
This one comes up as :

DateTimeOriginal : 2009:07:18 06:07:14

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
This one comes up as 8:54:05
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
haha dueling photos  ..  :touche:

DateTime : 2009:07:18 09:08:09

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Chateau said that Liisa and Eric's pics were taken very early AM, so that works if the clock is set to LA time..

If we assume the Pitstop pic is taken by an LA camera that was not adjusted then that time translates to:

At the specified time, local time in Tokyo was 16 hours ahead of Los Angeles

Location       Local time        Time zone
Los Angeles (U.S.A. - California) Sunday, July 19, 2009 at 9:25:00 PM UTC-7 hours PDT
becomes:
Tokyo (Japan) Monday, July 20, 2009 at 1:25:00 PM UTC+9 hours

So perfectly possible.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline realshowfan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Frantic Fanfic Fanatic!

I ran the original photo thru your cool EXIF Data thingy Slowhatch .. the Data on this photo is FWIW

Where's Marcy & Ronald? :ascared
This summer ※ The Amazing Race: ZBC // RSF
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,31363.0.html

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster

That's what I thought. Please no. :'(
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
I count 6 teams in the photo and maybe one that we can't see facing Phil so that's 6/7 teams  so maybe your question should be where are the other 4/5 teams.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Thanks, Puddin. The plate on the ground and the one upper-right might be prefectural plates.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
I count 6 teams in the photo and maybe one that we can't see facing Phil so that's 6/7 teams  so maybe your question should be where are the other 4/5 teams.

I think it's more of, "With nine teams spoiled to make it to Cambodia, Eric/Lisa spoiled to be out in LA & Garrett/Jessica in the pic looking all happy, does that mean Marcy/Ron are last this leg? :'(", than "I wonder where Marcy/Ron are in this shot".
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Thanks, Puddin. The plate on the ground and the one upper-right might be prefectural plates.

That's REALLY cool! But why on the ground then? ???
RFF's Golden Rule: