Author Topic: What is with all the ants in the BB house  (Read 5019 times)

Offline northernlite

• RFF Sr. Member
What is with all the ants in the BB house
« on: September 10, 2009, 03:19:28 PM »
I am totally grossed out by all the ants that seem to be invading the BB house.  I realize that leaving candy and pop out all over does not help but can't BB get someone to spray while they are on lockdown?  I would never sleep a wink there unless it was on a float in the pool. :funny:  Are all these ants something that is common in the southern areas?  We don't have that problem this far north, they would freeze in 30 below zero.   Have the bugs been this bad every season, I seem to remember Rennie complaining about bugs too.  Now I am itchy just thinking about them. :eww

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: What is with all the ants in the BB house
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 04:00:06 PM »
I was wondering if these are the kind of ants looking for moisture?? Or just the ordinary kind.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 04:04:10 PM »
They have had them in the house for a long time but this year it took longer for them to show up. (These HG's have been cleaner!)

I don't know what species they have in the house, but here in Texas we get infestations of sugar ants or Pharaoh ants. Nasty, obnoxious little pests that come into houses particularly during dry spells. They come in and get in the attics, insulation, and wiring and can come in through the outlets.  They look for food and sugary things are particularly yummy to them but they look for water too. We once found a nest of them in our garage, they had made their home in an unused box of plastic wrap. I DESPISE them .   (:;)

There are ways to control them that are far better than that spray can of insecticide.
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline pledge

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 04:47:25 PM »
Ants are not fun.  I live about 3 hours North of the BB house.  Sometimes I feel like my house was built on top of an ant hill.   :lol:     We have different kinds that seem to look for sugar/salt/water/you name it.   :funny:   We don't always have them.....but now I just keep everything in plastic bags or plastic containers.  Don't understand why BB doesn't spray (maybe they have)  :duno:   and provide the HGs with containers to put the opened food in.  Of course, it would help if the HGs didn't eat in all the rooms of the house, cleaned up after themselves, didn't leave food out and dirty dishes out etc. 

Offline Mobo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 05:32:49 PM »
Gnats, fruit flies, leeches, and now ANTS?!?!?!
this is too much....

Offline northernlite

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 05:42:49 PM »
Thanks TexasLady & Pledge, it was just one of those things that was stuck in my mind.  I guess each area of the US has it's own pests, we are going through the fly season and since I have horses they are particularly bad.  I will chase a fly through my house till I kill it. :knock:    I am really neurotic about bugs in my house and when I see these houseguests with ants crawling on them it just kind of puts me over the edge. :iok