Author Topic: TAR15: Daniel McMillen & Samuel McMillen - Brothers  (Read 39556 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
TAR15: Daniel McMillen & Samuel McMillen - Brothers
« on: September 09, 2009, 07:54:23 AM »
 Dan and Sam
Biography
Dan McMillen (21); Sam McMillen (23)
Hometown: Liberty, Mo.
Relationship: Brothers

Brothers for 21 years, Sam and Dan will tell you that their relationship did not truly start until last summer when they both came out and told each other that they were gay.

Growing up Christian in a conservative community, neither one of them felt comfortable enough coming out at an early age but after doing so, they've found a whole new bond with one another and instantly became closer through honesty and trust.  Sam and Dan will tell you that being gay is only one of the many aspects of their lives.

Dan describes himself as organized, open-minded and spontaneous and hopes to gain a new sense of appreciation for his life from running the Race with his brother.  His hobbies include exercise, volunteering and traveling.

Sam claims to be optimistic and happy-go-lucky and his hobbies include cinema, logic games and anything involving the outdoors.  Communication may be the biggest challenge for this Team, as they claim to be polar opposites.  From academic interests to how they approach tasks, these brothers are very different in everything they do.  Due to his passive mentality, Sam will need to be more vocal to overcome Dan's blunt, assertive personality in order to contribute to the team while on the road.

Sam is pursuing a degree in medicine while Dan has one more year left at William Jewell College to complete his business degree.  When asked what former Team they would model their style of play after, Sam points to Nick and Starr because they maintained a positive attitude which carried them to the $1 million prize. Dan identifies with the competitive style of Rob and Amber.  Both brothers hope that the Race will take their new found closeness to the next level and help them forge an even stronger bond.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 10:31:44 AM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: TAR15: Daniel McMillen & Samuel McMillen - Brothers
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 09:14:57 AM »
The Amazing Race 15 - Meet Dan and Sam

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 10:31:05 AM by puddin »

Offline retard boi

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 12:05:27 PM »
 :flirt: yummy  :flirt:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 12:11:20 PM by retard boi »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 12:07:30 PM »
Yes retard boi  :jumpy: they are Gorgeous!

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 02:40:29 PM »
i this akward team they are both gay

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 02:53:11 PM »
Very cool team! I think it is a great dynamic and the bio is cool. I hope they do well!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 10:05:49 PM »
Hey guys!

I was asked to write my thought about McMillen Brothers. Here's the link:

http://glaadblog.org/2009/09/09/luke-adams-gives-his-take-on-the-amazing-race-15s-gay-brother-team/

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 10:50:25 PM »
I have a feeling these two are going to be formidable. :ascared
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 05:06:07 PM by Hooky »
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 09:39:25 PM »
I love them for who they are and who cares if they're gay. They don't give me the "Eric and Jeremy" strong alpha male team vibes probably because don't look smug or arrogant.

Looks like a really nice team and a pre-season fave of mine.. We'll see if i'm wrong. 12 seasons since i've got an all-male team for pre-season favourite.

Offline autowil

• From St. Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Reality show Freak :)
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 01:23:42 PM »
One of my pre seasons fave!! They are competive, Open Gays.. Mean they are able to open up to all..

Young.. Hope they win this!! :)

I agree with Joab.. They dun look smug and arrogant like Eric & Jeremy!! :)
Coming Soon Autowil Amazing Race 1 - 2023....

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 08:18:11 PM »
Thank you for sharing Luke, great article!! But here's hoping your prediction is wrong! :hugs:

These guys look like they will be SO much fun to watch! Can't wait to see how or if the personality differences affect them, and I already feel the Midwest charm!!  :flirt:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 08:22:16 PM »
THIS AKWARD I LIKE THEM

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 08:12:34 AM »
I really like them for now, and I'm excited to see how their relationship will strengthen throughout the race. To me, it seems like they share a very special bond and are extremely close to each other. Can't wait to see how it all turns out!
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline autowil

• From St. Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Reality show Freak :)
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 12:11:19 PM »
Yup!! They seem so fun and great!! Hope the win this!!  :jam: :jam:
Coming Soon Autowil Amazing Race 1 - 2023....

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 09:07:21 PM »
Nvm again. I'm not allowed to have an opinion. :res:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 05:04:51 PM by Hooky »
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 10:33:52 PM »

But this topic doesn't really belong here.

That would be correct.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RealityFanWA

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 09:24:32 PM »
Awkward is good. I will see how I like this team as the season goes along.  :yess:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 01:08:04 AM »

Five questions with Sam and Dan McMillen of 'The Amazing Race’
Posted Thursday, Sep. 24, 2009

The McMillen Brothers

For Sam McMillen and his brother, competing this season on The Amazing Race means more than just a chance to win a $1 million prize. They’re also letting the world know something about them that was, until recently, kept secret — even from one another: They’re gay. "We wanted to come out on the show," says Sam, a 23-year-old TCU graduate. "We knew that our story would be great for people to hear." Sam and Dan McMillen say they never truly bonded as brothers until last summer, when each came out to the other. "He said, 'I have something to tell you,’ " Sam remembers. "I said, 'No way. Me, too.’ " Now the two are closer than ever. They also make a fine Race team. They were one of 12 duos chosen to compete in the wild race, which spans eight countries in 21 days. The two-hour season premiere airs at 7 p.m. Sunday on CBS. Sam moved to Fort Worth in August 2004. He completed five years of study at TCU this May, earning two bachelor’s degrees, one in biology and another in anthropology. He moved back home to Kansas City, Mo., two weeks ago. Dan is a college student in Liberty, Mo.

1Howdid you get involved in The Amazing Race? Was there a long, involved selection process?

It started in February. Dan literally turned 21 on Feb. 11. You have to be 21 to apply for the show and the deadline for the application was Feb. 14. He found out on his birthday that the deadline was just three days away. So he called me in Texas and said, 'Hey, we need to make a video now.’ So basically he made a video of himself, and he held up a picture of me while I was on his cellphone talking. We told our story and they contacted us. They were like: 'Hey, send us another video. We want to get to know you.’ They liked our story because it’s unique and because it makes a great dynamic as a sibling relationship.

2 Are you a fan of the show? Have you watched it for a long time?

I had never watched it. I never watch a lot of TV. I was always busy with school and I worked full time while I was a full-time student. But Dan has seen every single episode since it first aired. So he was the one who initiated it. But I wanted to do it as much as he did once I learned about it. And we had such a fun time.

3Were you much of a world traveler before the show?

Prior to everything with TheAmazing Race, Dan and I had only been to Mexico. That’s one of the reasons why we wanted to do it. Because we’re such big fans of travel and cultures, and I wanted a chance to see all of those things that I had read about in textbooks and never seen for myself.

4 Why did you choose Fort Worth and TCU? What was the attraction?

I absolutely love Fort Worth. It actually reminds me a lot of Kansas City. We stepped out of the cab when I got there to visit the first time, and I knew right away it was the place for me. I would love to be able to go to the osteopathic medical school there, just because I really love the town.

5 Any misgivings about coming out on national TV?

Maybe we’re just a little nervous. We’ve found in the past that it seems to be all some people want to talk about and we get pegged. Not that we’re ashamed or embarrassed. It’s just that it’s only part of who we are and what we’re about. There are many other things to recognize about us.

— David Martindale,

Special to the Star-Telegram

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Amazing Race 7 p.m. Sunday
KTVT/Channel 11

http://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/story/1634770.html

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• RFF's Goodwill Ambassador
  • I Live at RFF
  • No more wire hangers EVER!
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 08:47:19 AM »
Ok these boys are my fav's ! :jumpy:  cute story, cute boys, seem to catch on fast.. and know when to bail on a bad situation :tup:

zero, zilch, nada, nothing!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 12:34:43 AM »
 I'm in LOVE with Dan and Sam! I knew the fans would fall in love with them too! They had so much fun with the Wasabi Roulette, jumping up and down  :jumpy: :jumpy:, then when they marched their group they were cracking me up and having lots of fun with it! Definitly my favorite team  :hearts: :hearts:

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 02:10:59 AM »
These guys seem to be approaching the race in a good way. They are there to have fun first and foremost, but they aren't forgetting that there is a competition underlying everything.

And they have just the right amount of sneakiness in them. Hope they do well.

Offline BamBam

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 12:54:20 PM »
Had to crack up when my daughter first saw these guys.  She was totally in love and then I had to break the news to her.  First thing out of her mouth is how come all the nice, normal, good looking guys have to be gay?  :lol:  I hope they do well and go far, but not sure they are my favorites just yet.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 11:50:49 AM »
A really good interview with Sam and Dan....

Link....(it's kinda long)

http://www.afterelton.com/people/2009/10/sam-and-dan-mcmillen-the-amazing-race?page=0%2C0

BTW....they are the ones I'm rooting for! I loved them on the first episode! SAM & DAN FTW!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 12:23:37 PM »
Great interview Will, thanks for sharing!

Offline retard boi

• RFF Full Member