Author Topic: START LINE ELIMINATION AND NEW TWIST IN THE RACE  (Read 30085 times)

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
START LINE ELIMINATION AND NEW TWIST IN THE RACE
« on: September 09, 2009, 07:19:11 AM »
Meet the teams on new season of 'The Amazing Race'

By DERRIK J. LANG (AP) – 13 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES — One team will have a leg up on the competition in the upcoming season of "The Amazing Race."

Two of the Harlem Globetrotters are among the 12 teams starring in the 15th edition of the CBS reality show, which premieres Sept. 27. Nathaniel "The Big Easy" Lofton, 28, from New Orleans, and Herbert "Flight Time" Lang, 32, from Brinkley, Ark., believe their experience will help them dominate this season's course, which spans eight countries in 21 days.

"I've been to about 65 countries around the world," said Lang. "I definitely think that gives us a little bit of an advantage when we're traveling to different countries, as far as knowing how to interact with different cultures, managing our money and communicating with taxi drivers and whoever else we need to help us get from Point A to Point B."

Justin Kanew, 30, and Zev Glassenberg, 26, best friends from Los Angeles who met while working as camp counselors at Camp Greylock in Becket, Mass., are more excited about the journey than the possibility of winning the show's $1 million grand prize. Glassenberg has Asperger's syndrome, a milder form of autism.

"I don't think the fact that I have Asperger's will hinder me," Glassenberg said. "I do tend to think outside of the box, so it might help us. It'll be weird going into these social situations around the world. I might not take it all in right away, but I know I'm racing, so I'll probably get past it really fast."

Other teams include Maria Ho, 26, and Tiffany Michelle, 25, who are professional poker players.

"It's obviously different from competition at the poker table," said Ho, who came in 11th place at this year's World Series of Poker in Las Vegas. "It's outdoorsy. This is physical and mental, but we will definitely be applying whatever skills we have as gamers to this competition and push ourselves in different ways that we're not used to doing."

Among the teams who are romantically linked: a feisty engaged couple from Boston; grade-school sweethearts from San Diego; a dating couple from San Francisco who met online; married yoga instructors from Encino, Calif.; dating aspiring country singers; and a former Miss America and her husband.

"They are now suddenly putting their relationship under a microscope," said host Phil Keoghan. "I personally wouldn't want to do that, but teams do, and audiences love to watch it, and there are a number of teams on this season that are coming to the race to test their relationship, and it sounds like some of them might get quite testy in the process."

For the first time, one team will be booted at the start of the trek, and racers will have to tackle the Switchback, a new twist that sends teams back to one of the series' most challenging "roadblocks." Executive producer Bertram van Munster said the racers will set off from the Los Angeles River, then first head to Tokyo to complete several zany tasks.

"Have you ever seen Japanese tourists following a tour guide with a little flag?" said van Munster. "Well, our contestants are going to be the tour leaders. Each team is going to have to run a group of 20 tourists through the center of Tokyo as fast as they can. Whoever brings their entire tour group to the Pit Stop first will be the number one team."

CBS is a division of CBS Corp.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: NEW TWIST IN THE RACE
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 07:19:43 AM »
THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR, FOR YEARS. A ROADBLOCK RELATED TWIST!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 07:25:10 AM by baydogg »

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: START LINE ELIMINATION AND NEW TWIST IN THE RACE
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 07:27:02 AM »
TEAM LIST:

___

Name: Herbert "Flight Time" Lang

Hometown: Brinkley, Ark.

Name: Nathaniel "The Big Easy" Lofton

Hometown: New Orleans

Relationship: Teammates

___

Name: Lance Layne

Hometown: Salem, Mass.

Name: Keri Morrione

Hometown: Peabody, Mass.

Relationship: Engaged

___

Name: Maria Ho

Hometown: Arcadia, Calif.

Name: Tiffany Michelle

Hometown: Los Angeles

Relationship: Poker players

___

Name: Eric Paskel

Hometown: Encino, Calif.

Name: Lisa Paskel

Hometown: Encino, Calif.

Relationship: Married yoga teachers

___

Name: Gary Tomljenovich

Hometown: Laurel, Mont.

Name: Matt Tomljenovich

Hometown: Bozeman, Mont.

Relationship: Father and son

___

Name: Zev Glassenberg

Hometown: Sherman Oaks, Calif.

Name: Justin Kanew

Hometown: Los Angeles

Relationship: Friends

___

Name: Garrett Paul

Hometown: Aptos, Calif.

Name: Jessica Stout

Hometown: Larkspur, Calif.

Relationship: Dating on and off

___

Name: Marcy Maloy

Hometown: San Francisco

Name: Ronald Shalita

Hometown: San Francisco

Relationship: Dating

___

Name: Mika Combs

Hometown: Nashville, Tenn.

Name: Canaan Smith

Relationship: Newly dating

___

Name: Meghan Rickey

Hometown: San Diego

Name: Cheyne Whitney

Hometown: San Diego

Relationship: Dating

___

Name: Ericka Dunlap

Name: Brian Kleinschmidt

Relationship: Married

___

Name: Daniel McMillen

Hometown: Liberty, Mo.

Name: Samuel McMillen

Hometown: Fort Worth, Texas

Relationship: Brothers

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 07:32:07 AM »
Haha , this we know thanks to Chateau  :jam:

For the first time, one team will be booted at the start of the trek, and racers will have to tackle the Switchback, a new twist that sends teams back to one of the series' most challenging "roadblocks." Executive producer Bertram van Munster said the racers will set off from the Los Angeles River, then first head to Tokyo to complete several zany tasks.

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 07:32:57 AM »

Yer. But Roadblock twist is a good surprise!  :tup:

Offline realshowfan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Frantic Fanfic Fanatic!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 07:35:08 AM »

I wonder why they quotation marked "roadblock" though. And wouldn't it be too much, and considering some tasks from past seasons are similar to one another?

Still, can't wait! I've never heard of a Switchback in TAR games/fanfics! :wohoo:
This summer ※ The Amazing Race: ZBC // RSF
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,31363.0.html

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 07:38:37 AM »
I think "roadblock" is just in commas because it is not a common term

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 07:44:19 AM »
I'm thinking that it works similar to the U-Turn i.e. One team can send a team that is behind them back to have the other team member perform the Roadblock.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 08:05:51 AM »

I wonder why they quotation marked "roadblock" though. And wouldn't it be too much, and considering some tasks from past seasons are similar to one another?

Still, can't wait! I've never heard of a Switchback in TAR games/fanfics! :wohoo:

Am I the only one on this forum that hopes there WASN'T a new twist? :groan: It's okay for me fanfics/games, but NOT the real seasons. :groan:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline eragon

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 08:07:14 AM »

Am I the only one on this forum that hopes there WASN'T a new twist? :groan: It's okay for me fanfics/games, but NOT the real seasons. :groan:

You're not the only one.  :lol:
I hate the new twist, but not the Switchback. I thought it's exciting.  ;D

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 08:19:10 AM »
I'm with everyone as well.  Love the Switchback (or the possible concept pre-race), don't care about the twist.  Though it makes for an exciting segment!
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 08:28:30 AM »
I can't believe tptb gave up the start-line elimination so soon. I would have been teasing with something like:

(In my Troy McClure voice) - "The most exciting start to the Amazing Race ever - teams battle at the start line in a task you don't want to miss. Tune in September 27 at 8pm"

And note that there isn't a map...
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 08:32:45 AM »
I can't believe tptb gave up the start-line elimination so soon. I would have been teasing with something like:

(In my Troy McClure voice) - "The most exciting start to the Amazing Race ever - teams battle at the start line in a task you don't want to miss. Tune in September 27 at 8pm"

And note that there isn't a map...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't maps released the day/s before? :D

Switchback.... hmmm, is this the first clue something not totally related to street signs (less the FF)
Account is awaiting approval for deletion (approved)

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 08:39:21 AM »

You're not the only one.  :lol:
I hate the new twist, but not the Switchback. I thought it's exciting.  ;D

I hate both. :funny: I actually hate the U-Turn/Yield/Intersection/various NEL penalties, even if they proved to be entertaining/useful. :funny: I use them in games simply for the drama. :funny:

"Have you ever seen Japanese tourists following a tour guide with a little flag?" said van Munster. "Well, our contestants are going to be the tour leaders. Each team is going to have to run a group of 20 tourists through the center of Tokyo as fast as they can. Whoever brings their entire tour group to the Pit Stop first will be the number one team."

"I Survived A Japanese Tour Group"?! :funny:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 09:39:39 AM »
could the strikeback actually be the first task teams will be doing before leaving the starting line, and could prolly do a final roadblock esque game? :D?

JUST SPECULATING!
Account is awaiting approval for deletion (approved)

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 09:42:22 AM »

Switchback.... hmmm, is this the first clue something not totally related to street signs (less the FF)

this is the closest thing I found to a "switchback" street sign...  :lol:

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:50:50 AM by Boingo »

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 10:17:51 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing a roadblock related twist where the partner who didn't compelte the roadblock had to perform it as well.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 10:21:28 AM »
I'm thinking that it works similar to the U-Turn i.e. One team can send a team that is behind them back to have the other team member perform the Roadblock.

I love the idea. It's really good.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 10:26:33 AM »
I just love the new twists that TAR throws onto the show and don't complain much. It used to be just FF every legs, but now with 2 Switchbacks, 2 U-TURNs, 2 SpeedBumps and 2 Fast Forwards (maybe??), it ensures that almost every other leg, we have something to watch out for on the show and not just normal Detours and Roadblocks teams have to perform. I actually thought TAR still managed to gain on ratings because of all these new twists which played out to be well, as compared to in Survivor where they probably ran out of twist to put on the show.

Now i just can't imagine or think of any twist the producers can put onto the show. It seems like a complete route or race with everything so evenly planned out.

Can't wait for TAR 15.

Anyway, is it just me.. or do i find this season team names extremely hard to remember and spell? :X

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
Who said this???

but now with 2 Switchbacks, 2 U-TURNs, ...

please give a reference otherwise you might get people thinking there really are two.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 15 spoilers, sightings & locations *summary page 1*
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 11:15:16 AM »
Contestants will travel one of the fastest courses ever assembled on the Race - spanning eight countries in just 21 days.  Season 15 also features the quickest elimination in the history of the series, sending one Team home before they leave the starting line.  Teams fortunate enough to avoid the surprise elimination and compete for the $ 1 million prize will face the "Switchback," which sends Teams back to the site of one of the series' most infamous Roadblocks, as well as a surprise appearance by one of America's most beloved entertainers, a visit to the world's tallest building and a spicy twist on a Japanese game show.    

"This season we wanted to keep the Racers and our fans on their toes and make sure no one gets too comfortable," stated Bertram van Munster, Executive Producer and Co-Creator of THE AMAZING RACE.  "We're adding some new surprise elements including our quickest elimination ever as well as revisiting one of the most challenging Roadblocks our Teams have ever encountered during our past 15 seasons."

Japan, Cambodia, Vietnam, Israel, UAE, Estonia, Sweden, Czech Republic. That's eight. :funny: I forgot about the Netherlands. :P

ETA: As for the Roadblock: OMG. The haybales back in Sweden?! :funny: Or is it a redo of the Argentina meat RB?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:50:54 AM by Raymond »
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 01:38:01 PM »
From the actual CBS Press Release

Teams fortunate enough to avoid the surprise elimination and compete for the $ 1 million prize will face the "Switchback," which sends Teams back to the site of one of the series' most infamous Roadblocks, as well as a surprise appearance by one of America's most beloved entertainers, a visit to the world's tallest building and a spicy twist on a Japanese game show.

The teams are gpong back to the location of an actual past-season roadblock, and I believe the twist is that this season's teams are doing the exact same roadblock at that task.

That pretty much points to a handful of places given what we know about this season's Race course.

At the moment, my bet is on the season 3 roadblock in Ho Chi Mihn City, which lead to the final elimination of Derek and Drew Riker, but that doesn't rule out other possibilities, such as the roadblock that had teams driving a course around downtown Tokyo, or the season 4 roadblock in the Netherlands; some of these require researchto plot the actual roadblocks in the season 15 countries to see which tasks were near where teams are known to have traveled.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 02:51:02 PM »
My vote is for the haybales in Sweden; the cyclos (though I loved that leg) and ditch vaulting weren't really infamous, were they?

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 02:56:19 PM »
Looking forward to this new twist, Off to school, great to see new teams YAYAYA!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 07:20:25 PM »
WHAT??!!!! THE RETURN OF THE HAYBALES??!!!!

Wow, that would be awesome, but sad in regards to what we all know happened there.

THIS IS SPECULATION
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis