Author Topic: START LINE ELIMINATION AND NEW TWIST IN THE RACE  (Read 30083 times)

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
START LINE ELIMINATION AND NEW TWIST IN THE RACE
« on: September 09, 2009, 07:19:11 AM »
Meet the teams on new season of 'The Amazing Race'

By DERRIK J. LANG (AP) – 13 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES — One team will have a leg up on the competition in the upcoming season of "The Amazing Race."

Two of the Harlem Globetrotters are among the 12 teams starring in the 15th edition of the CBS reality show, which premieres Sept. 27. Nathaniel "The Big Easy" Lofton, 28, from New Orleans, and Herbert "Flight Time" Lang, 32, from Brinkley, Ark., believe their experience will help them dominate this season's course, which spans eight countries in 21 days.

"I've been to about 65 countries around the world," said Lang. "I definitely think that gives us a little bit of an advantage when we're traveling to different countries, as far as knowing how to interact with different cultures, managing our money and communicating with taxi drivers and whoever else we need to help us get from Point A to Point B."

Justin Kanew, 30, and Zev Glassenberg, 26, best friends from Los Angeles who met while working as camp counselors at Camp Greylock in Becket, Mass., are more excited about the journey than the possibility of winning the show's $1 million grand prize. Glassenberg has Asperger's syndrome, a milder form of autism.

"I don't think the fact that I have Asperger's will hinder me," Glassenberg said. "I do tend to think outside of the box, so it might help us. It'll be weird going into these social situations around the world. I might not take it all in right away, but I know I'm racing, so I'll probably get past it really fast."

Other teams include Maria Ho, 26, and Tiffany Michelle, 25, who are professional poker players.

"It's obviously different from competition at the poker table," said Ho, who came in 11th place at this year's World Series of Poker in Las Vegas. "It's outdoorsy. This is physical and mental, but we will definitely be applying whatever skills we have as gamers to this competition and push ourselves in different ways that we're not used to doing."

Among the teams who are romantically linked: a feisty engaged couple from Boston; grade-school sweethearts from San Diego; a dating couple from San Francisco who met online; married yoga instructors from Encino, Calif.; dating aspiring country singers; and a former Miss America and her husband.

"They are now suddenly putting their relationship under a microscope," said host Phil Keoghan. "I personally wouldn't want to do that, but teams do, and audiences love to watch it, and there are a number of teams on this season that are coming to the race to test their relationship, and it sounds like some of them might get quite testy in the process."

For the first time, one team will be booted at the start of the trek, and racers will have to tackle the Switchback, a new twist that sends teams back to one of the series' most challenging "roadblocks." Executive producer Bertram van Munster said the racers will set off from the Los Angeles River, then first head to Tokyo to complete several zany tasks.

"Have you ever seen Japanese tourists following a tour guide with a little flag?" said van Munster. "Well, our contestants are going to be the tour leaders. Each team is going to have to run a group of 20 tourists through the center of Tokyo as fast as they can. Whoever brings their entire tour group to the Pit Stop first will be the number one team."

CBS is a division of CBS Corp.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: NEW TWIST IN THE RACE
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 07:19:43 AM »
THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR, FOR YEARS. A ROADBLOCK RELATED TWIST!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 07:25:10 AM by baydogg »

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: START LINE ELIMINATION AND NEW TWIST IN THE RACE
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 07:27:02 AM »
TEAM LIST:

___

Name: Herbert "Flight Time" Lang

Hometown: Brinkley, Ark.

Name: Nathaniel "The Big Easy" Lofton

Hometown: New Orleans

Relationship: Teammates

___

Name: Lance Layne

Hometown: Salem, Mass.

Name: Keri Morrione

Hometown: Peabody, Mass.

Relationship: Engaged

___

Name: Maria Ho

Hometown: Arcadia, Calif.

Name: Tiffany Michelle

Hometown: Los Angeles

Relationship: Poker players

___

Name: Eric Paskel

Hometown: Encino, Calif.

Name: Lisa Paskel

Hometown: Encino, Calif.

Relationship: Married yoga teachers

___

Name: Gary Tomljenovich

Hometown: Laurel, Mont.

Name: Matt Tomljenovich

Hometown: Bozeman, Mont.

Relationship: Father and son

___

Name: Zev Glassenberg

Hometown: Sherman Oaks, Calif.

Name: Justin Kanew

Hometown: Los Angeles

Relationship: Friends

___

Name: Garrett Paul

Hometown: Aptos, Calif.

Name: Jessica Stout

Hometown: Larkspur, Calif.

Relationship: Dating on and off

___

Name: Marcy Maloy

Hometown: San Francisco

Name: Ronald Shalita

Hometown: San Francisco

Relationship: Dating

___

Name: Mika Combs

Hometown: Nashville, Tenn.

Name: Canaan Smith

Relationship: Newly dating

___

Name: Meghan Rickey

Hometown: San Diego

Name: Cheyne Whitney

Hometown: San Diego

Relationship: Dating

___

Name: Ericka Dunlap

Name: Brian Kleinschmidt

Relationship: Married

___

Name: Daniel McMillen

Hometown: Liberty, Mo.

Name: Samuel McMillen

Hometown: Fort Worth, Texas

Relationship: Brothers

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 07:32:07 AM »
Haha , this we know thanks to Chateau  :jam:

For the first time, one team will be booted at the start of the trek, and racers will have to tackle the Switchback, a new twist that sends teams back to one of the series' most challenging "roadblocks." Executive producer Bertram van Munster said the racers will set off from the Los Angeles River, then first head to Tokyo to complete several zany tasks.

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 07:32:57 AM »

Yer. But Roadblock twist is a good surprise!  :tup:

Offline realshowfan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Frantic Fanfic Fanatic!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 07:35:08 AM »

I wonder why they quotation marked "roadblock" though. And wouldn't it be too much, and considering some tasks from past seasons are similar to one another?

Still, can't wait! I've never heard of a Switchback in TAR games/fanfics! :wohoo:
This summer ※ The Amazing Race: ZBC // RSF
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,31363.0.html

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 07:38:37 AM »
I think "roadblock" is just in commas because it is not a common term

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 07:44:19 AM »
I'm thinking that it works similar to the U-Turn i.e. One team can send a team that is behind them back to have the other team member perform the Roadblock.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 08:05:51 AM »

I wonder why they quotation marked "roadblock" though. And wouldn't it be too much, and considering some tasks from past seasons are similar to one another?

Still, can't wait! I've never heard of a Switchback in TAR games/fanfics! :wohoo:

Am I the only one on this forum that hopes there WASN'T a new twist? :groan: It's okay for me fanfics/games, but NOT the real seasons. :groan:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline eragon

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 08:07:14 AM »

Am I the only one on this forum that hopes there WASN'T a new twist? :groan: It's okay for me fanfics/games, but NOT the real seasons. :groan:

You're not the only one.  :lol:
I hate the new twist, but not the Switchback. I thought it's exciting.  ;D

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 08:19:10 AM »
I'm with everyone as well.  Love the Switchback (or the possible concept pre-race), don't care about the twist.  Though it makes for an exciting segment!
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 08:28:30 AM »
I can't believe tptb gave up the start-line elimination so soon. I would have been teasing with something like:

(In my Troy McClure voice) - "The most exciting start to the Amazing Race ever - teams battle at the start line in a task you don't want to miss. Tune in September 27 at 8pm"

And note that there isn't a map...
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 08:32:45 AM »
I can't believe tptb gave up the start-line elimination so soon. I would have been teasing with something like:

(In my Troy McClure voice) - "The most exciting start to the Amazing Race ever - teams battle at the start line in a task you don't want to miss. Tune in September 27 at 8pm"

And note that there isn't a map...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't maps released the day/s before? :D

Switchback.... hmmm, is this the first clue something not totally related to street signs (less the FF)
Account is awaiting approval for deletion (approved)

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 08:39:21 AM »

You're not the only one.  :lol:
I hate the new twist, but not the Switchback. I thought it's exciting.  ;D

I hate both. :funny: I actually hate the U-Turn/Yield/Intersection/various NEL penalties, even if they proved to be entertaining/useful. :funny: I use them in games simply for the drama. :funny:

"Have you ever seen Japanese tourists following a tour guide with a little flag?" said van Munster. "Well, our contestants are going to be the tour leaders. Each team is going to have to run a group of 20 tourists through the center of Tokyo as fast as they can. Whoever brings their entire tour group to the Pit Stop first will be the number one team."

"I Survived A Japanese Tour Group"?! :funny:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 09:39:39 AM »
could the strikeback actually be the first task teams will be doing before leaving the starting line, and could prolly do a final roadblock esque game? :D?

JUST SPECULATING!

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 09:42:22 AM »

Switchback.... hmmm, is this the first clue something not totally related to street signs (less the FF)

this is the closest thing I found to a "switchback" street sign...  :lol:

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:50:50 AM by Boingo »

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 10:17:51 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing a roadblock related twist where the partner who didn't compelte the roadblock had to perform it as well.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 10:21:28 AM »
I'm thinking that it works similar to the U-Turn i.e. One team can send a team that is behind them back to have the other team member perform the Roadblock.

I love the idea. It's really good.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 10:26:33 AM »
I just love the new twists that TAR throws onto the show and don't complain much. It used to be just FF every legs, but now with 2 Switchbacks, 2 U-TURNs, 2 SpeedBumps and 2 Fast Forwards (maybe??), it ensures that almost every other leg, we have something to watch out for on the show and not just normal Detours and Roadblocks teams have to perform. I actually thought TAR still managed to gain on ratings because of all these new twists which played out to be well, as compared to in Survivor where they probably ran out of twist to put on the show.

Now i just can't imagine or think of any twist the producers can put onto the show. It seems like a complete route or race with everything so evenly planned out.

Can't wait for TAR 15.

Anyway, is it just me.. or do i find this season team names extremely hard to remember and spell? :X

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
Who said this???

but now with 2 Switchbacks, 2 U-TURNs, ...

please give a reference otherwise you might get people thinking there really are two.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 15 spoilers, sightings & locations *summary page 1*
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 11:15:16 AM »
Contestants will travel one of the fastest courses ever assembled on the Race - spanning eight countries in just 21 days.  Season 15 also features the quickest elimination in the history of the series, sending one Team home before they leave the starting line.  Teams fortunate enough to avoid the surprise elimination and compete for the $ 1 million prize will face the "Switchback," which sends Teams back to the site of one of the series' most infamous Roadblocks, as well as a surprise appearance by one of America's most beloved entertainers, a visit to the world's tallest building and a spicy twist on a Japanese game show.    

"This season we wanted to keep the Racers and our fans on their toes and make sure no one gets too comfortable," stated Bertram van Munster, Executive Producer and Co-Creator of THE AMAZING RACE.  "We're adding some new surprise elements including our quickest elimination ever as well as revisiting one of the most challenging Roadblocks our Teams have ever encountered during our past 15 seasons."

Japan, Cambodia, Vietnam, Israel, UAE, Estonia, Sweden, Czech Republic. That's eight. :funny: I forgot about the Netherlands. :P

ETA: As for the Roadblock: OMG. The haybales back in Sweden?! :funny: Or is it a redo of the Argentina meat RB?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:50:54 AM by Raymond »
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 01:38:01 PM »
From the actual CBS Press Release

Teams fortunate enough to avoid the surprise elimination and compete for the $ 1 million prize will face the "Switchback," which sends Teams back to the site of one of the series' most infamous Roadblocks, as well as a surprise appearance by one of America's most beloved entertainers, a visit to the world's tallest building and a spicy twist on a Japanese game show.

The teams are gpong back to the location of an actual past-season roadblock, and I believe the twist is that this season's teams are doing the exact same roadblock at that task.

That pretty much points to a handful of places given what we know about this season's Race course.

At the moment, my bet is on the season 3 roadblock in Ho Chi Mihn City, which lead to the final elimination of Derek and Drew Riker, but that doesn't rule out other possibilities, such as the roadblock that had teams driving a course around downtown Tokyo, or the season 4 roadblock in the Netherlands; some of these require researchto plot the actual roadblocks in the season 15 countries to see which tasks were near where teams are known to have traveled.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 02:51:02 PM »
My vote is for the haybales in Sweden; the cyclos (though I loved that leg) and ditch vaulting weren't really infamous, were they?

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 02:56:19 PM »
Looking forward to this new twist, Off to school, great to see new teams YAYAYA!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 07:20:25 PM »
WHAT??!!!! THE RETURN OF THE HAYBALES??!!!!

Wow, that would be awesome, but sad in regards to what we all know happened there.

THIS IS SPECULATION
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 08:09:32 PM »
BVM invented the haybales task, and has said publicly he LOVED this task, even with how it ended.

Yes, I could definintely see this being the EPIC Roadblock . :groan:

Bögs Gärd farm , Häggvik, Sweden

If so, then LENA darned well better get to be the greeter!!! :yess:

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 08:26:22 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 10:44:34 PM »
BVM invented the haybales task, and has said publicly he LOVED this task, even with how it ended.

That would be cool, too! It would be cool if they had a flashback where Phil says: "Teams must now travel to the site of the infamous hay bale Roadblock, where Lena struggled for several hours to find the clue hidden inside." Complete with footage from S6 and everything!
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 03:41:41 AM »
No fair.  I wanted to be the first Aspie on the show, not Zev!
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 05:32:42 AM »

That would be cool, too! It would be cool if they had a flashback where Phil says: "Teams must now travel to the site of the infamous hay bale Roadblock, where Lena struggled for several hours to find the clue hidden inside." Complete with footage from S6 and everything!

Here's an idea: (COMPLETELY spec) the "Switchback" is offered with a Roadblock where instead of performing the current Roadblock, you perform one of the past season's Roadblocks instead and if you do it successfully, you can skip certain tasks. With this format, they can all accommodate the cyclos in Vietnam, the nuts in Dubai, the haybales in Sweden and the pole vault in Amsterdam. Once again though, completely spec. Hope I made that clear. :funny:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline spontaneousss

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Jaime & Erik for TAR 16! Best Reality Couple ever!
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2009, 06:08:56 AM »

And then Tiffany or Maria suffering the same fate as Lena!  :groan: Now that would be harsh especially since it seems like they are eliminated that leg!

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2009, 09:09:14 AM »
I could just see CBS putting a Lena look alike in the field, to fruitlessly search through hay bales next to whichever team that got sent there... But then again, I have a very cruel sense of humour. (Note: Speculation)

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2009, 08:00:08 PM »

I'm gonna smack BVM hard if he has to remind me of Lena and Kristy's elimination. (:;) (:;) (:;)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2009, 08:17:15 PM »
Häggvik, Sweden

The question is how far is that from Stockholm, and would the teams have the time to go there, given that the task was open-ended as to duration. (As evidenced by the 8(?) hours Lena took originally and Phil's out-on-the-field elimination.) If there isn't enough time between the pit stop in the Netherlands to boarding the ferry to Tallin, then that would be a negative.  This comes down to how long the teams had in Sweden, and as far as I know, we don't have a complete handle on that.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2009, 08:34:54 PM »
I think we do know how long teams had in Sweden though.

We KNOW that at least one team flew on  August 1st taking KL 1107 6:55 am, arriving in Stockholm at 8:55 am.

Teams were then seen on the ferry from Stockholm to Tallinn on August 2nd, ferry leaves at 5:45 pm and arrives at 10:00 am

So about 33 hours right?

I will have to go watch the former haybales episode because I don't remember how far away the farm was.

According to mapquest, there are 2  Häggvik's, one about 20 minutes away and one +5 hours away, so a big difference there.

http://europe.mapquest.com/directions/europe.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&qq=hltF3hzNT9vgCYgFpG%252fDI6Zd139xgLqWl5mHnyn%252b%252b8o%253d&ct=EU&rsres=1&1y=SE&1a=B%C3%B6gs+G%C3%A4rd+farm+%2C&1c=+H%C3%A4ggvik&1z=&2y=SE&2a=&2c=stockholm&2z=&r=f
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2009, 01:17:37 AM »

I'm gonna smack BVM hard if he has to remind me of Lena and Kristy's elimination. (:;) (:;) (:;)

It saved Don & Mary Jean, so it's all good. :funny: :funny:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2009, 07:50:16 AM »
Häggvik, Sweden

The question is how far is that from Stockholm, and would the teams have the time to go there, given that the task was open-ended as to duration. (As evidenced by the 8(?) hours Lena took originally and Phil's out-on-the-field elimination.) If there isn't enough time between the pit stop in the Netherlands to boarding the ferry to Tallin, then that would be a negative.  This comes down to how long the teams had in Sweden, and as far as I know, we don't have a complete handle on that.

I don't think teams necessarily will return to the EXACT spot of the original hay bale task. They could go to any field in Sweden. After all, the casual viewer will think "oh yeah, I remember those hay bales in Sweden," not "wait, wasn't the original task in Häggvik?"

And BVM isn't exactly a stickler for details on things like this.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2009, 07:52:18 AM »
Peach:
Don't even bother finding which Haggvik is which. We know that teams took train and bicycle out to Haggvik and that Phil came out for the in-the-field elimination of Lena/Kristy. It has to be the 20 minute away one. Phil could not have gotten from the ship in Stockholm harbor after checking in all other teams to Haggvik if it were 5 hours away.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 10:28:47 PM by apskip »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2009, 12:50:38 PM »
Häggvik, Sweden

I don't think teams necessarily will return to the EXACT spot of the original hay bale task. They could go to any field in Sweden. After all, the casual viewer will think "oh yeah, I remember those hay bales in Sweden," not "wait, wasn't the original task in Häggvik?"

And BVM isn't exactly a stickler for details on things like this.

Given the fact that Bertram was being quite clear about the concept of going back to the scene of the original roadblock task as part of the "Flashback," I;m not going to assume he's being deceptive. TPTB wouldn't need to even call it a "Flashback" if the task wasn't in the same location.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be a giant curve ball for these Racers and future Racers because it will be another level of uncertainty teams will have to prepare for pre-Race unless they're familar with the history of the Race.

The only other roadblock that I can think of that might qualify is the driving roadblock in Tokyo a couple of seasons back. It also meets the stricter paramaters I think need to be applied (teams are in Tokyo, and the task was difficult because of the navagation issues for the teams (as was the HCMC roadblock in TAR 3.) I can't think of any other places that stand out as possibilities.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2009, 02:59:38 PM »
The only other roadblock that I can think of that might qualify is the driving roadblock in Tokyo a couple of seasons back. It also meets the stricter paramaters I think need to be applied (teams are in Tokyo, and the task was difficult because of the navagation issues for the teams (as was the HCMC roadblock in TAR 3.) I can't think of any other places that stand out as possibilities.

Well, yes, but was it infamous? No. In my mind it is too fresh in our minds to qualify. And yet despite how recent it was, it isn't one of the first Roadblocks that comes to my head.

Teams fortunate enough to avoid the surprise elimination and compete for the $ 1 million prize will face the "Switchback," which sends Teams back to the site of one of the series' most infamous Roadblocks, as well as a surprise appearance by one of America's most beloved entertainers, a visit to the world's tallest building and a spicy twist on a Japanese game show.

The teams may not even have to do the Roadblock task, but simply visit the location of the task. That's how I read this.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 03:06:37 PM by Hooky »

Offline :jerry:

• RFF Sr. Member
  • JTAR Season 1 is on RIGHT NOW!
Re: TAR 15 spoilers, sightings & locations *summary page 1*
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2009, 12:02:31 AM »
possibly the roadblock wasn't there,like raymond said, the argentina meat roadblock again, but not in argentina.Just think,which roadblock was random,=.I'd say eating caviar or an ostrich egg!
Jerry's fantasy game partcipation:
Vic's 4th Race: Jerry and Uycocoa Eliminated
MTAR Season 3: Jerry and Panda (Natasha and Paula) Eliminated

JTAR Season 1 Nanaimo Leg is on right now!

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2009, 06:34:10 AM »

Contestants will travel one of the fastest courses ever assembled on the Race - spanning eight countries in just 21 days.  Season 15 also features the quickest elimination in the history of the series, sending one Team home before they leave the starting line.  Teams fortunate enough to avoid the surprise elimination and compete for the $ 1 million prize will face the "Switchback," which sends Teams back to the site of one of the series' most infamous Roadblocks, as well as a surprise appearance by one of America's most beloved entertainers, a visit to the world's tallest building and a spicy twist on a Japanese game show.   

"This season we wanted to keep the Racers and our fans on their toes and make sure no one gets too comfortable," stated Bertram van Munster, Executive Producer and Co-Creator of THE AMAZING RACE.  "We're adding some new surprise elements including our quickest elimination ever as well as revisiting one of the most challenging Roadblocks our Teams have ever encountered during our past 15 seasons."

Quoting this from puddin over the Sightings and Locations

With new information about revisiting the meanest roadblock... I'm really scared about Stockholm right now...

*Gets the Lena and Kristy vibes*

If indeed it is... it would be painful for the girls to actually watch it again (if they still watch TAR)

And eight countries?

Hmmm...

Japan
Vietnam
Cambodia
United Arab Emirates = Tallest Building
Netherlands
Sweden
Estonia
Czech Republic

Is USA not counted in the articles?

US Entertainer = Elvis Presley (FINALE)?

Offline Obbyz

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2009, 03:02:09 AM »
some people at amazing race page ( facebook ) said that the yoga teacher's was eliminated at starting line . it is true ? thx ^^

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2009, 04:22:58 AM »
:welcome: to RFF!

You can catch up by reading the page one summaries on each of these threads:

Contestants:
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,19007.0.html

Spoilers/locations/sightings:
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,18840.0.html
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2009, 05:08:08 AM »
if I read it correctly, the switchback is in the first leg...

Offline Acoustic

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2009, 05:15:52 AM »
if I read it correctly, the switchback is in the first leg...

me too!

Teams fortunate enough to avoid the surprise elimination and compete for the $ 1 million prize will face the "Switchback," which sends Teams back to the site of one of the series' most infamous Roadblocks

it might just be bad wording from the writers but it definitely seems like teams that survive the start line elimination will all face the switchback

Offline Obbyz

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2009, 06:12:49 AM »
:welcome: to RFF!

You can catch up by reading the page one summaries on each of these threads:

Contestants:
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,19007.0.html

Spoilers/locations/sightings:
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,18840.0.html

i've read this ^^  thx ^^

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2009, 09:20:27 AM »
Here's a novel thought for the scenario where the infamous haybales task is replicated:

It all depends on the ratio of clues to hay bales. The reason that most teams finished quickly was that the field started with 20 clues in about 270 bales. That gave each team  a 1/13.5 or 7.4% chance at getting one. That means they would have to unroll just 14 bales on average to find a clue. The odds on unrolling over 100 bales and not finding one are astronomical; it would not have happened if Lena was efficient in seeing clues in some of her bales, as there were 12 clues left after all other teams had finished and there should have been approximately 270 - 8 X 13.5 = 162 bales left. Up until that point, her odds of finding a clue in a bale (assuming efficiency on her part) were higher, but even then it had to be something like 12/162 on each try or still 7.4% each try. It should again take her on average at that point only another 14 bales to finish.

So, if you were Bertrand van Munster (who is really a very clever guy), what would you do if you needed to assure that a repeat of the Lena debacle did not happen again? You would increase the ratio of clues to bales, that's what you would do. Doing so would decrease the differentiation between teams coming out of this task, but that's OK since it will be a total BUNCHING for the ferry anyway. Even if they used the original ratio, it should still not take very long for all teams to finish.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2009, 09:36:13 AM »
I read the switchback as :

Teams fortunate enough to avoid the surprise elimination and compete for the $ 1 million prize will LATER face the "Switchback

And very true, apskip!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2009, 09:44:20 AM »
Here's a novel thought for the scenario where the infamous haybales task is replicated:

The haybale task was complete whack! I can recall playing a game of that over at ********Times and losing my head. Too bad the game's gone already.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2009, 09:48:51 AM »
I think the only MORE infamous task was the Broken Ox...but unless they recreate that in the Philippines I think Haybales it is. One of the finest examples of "never give up" in TAR history.

I think the ferry/Flo task would not be as well known to the casual viewer, but the Ox and the Haybales certainly are. JMO though...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2009, 09:49:18 AM »
So, if you were Bertrand van Munster (who is really a very clever guy), what would you do if you needed to assure that a repeat of the Lena debacle did not happen again? You would increase the ratio of clues to bales, that's what you would do.

Or ...

You would use hay that was not the same color as the clue envelope so Racers would have a better chance of spotting the clue.  Didn't it get dark while Lena was rolling hay?  The darkness would make it harder to see the envelope.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2009, 09:51:43 AM »
I think the only MORE infamous task was the Broken Ox...but unless they recreate that in the Philippines I think Haybales it is. One of the finest examples of "never give up" in TAR history.

I think the ferry/Flo task would not be as well known to the casual viewer, but the Ox and the Haybales certainly are. JMO though...

The Ox (or the Carabao) is the most epic task TAR had ever done IMO - simple, quick yet devastating. However, there's an open space that they can do that in Vietnam because of it's agricultural land (but oh boy, The Philippines should be where that task should be held nuff said ^_^). They did not tell how many switchbacks there are present right?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2009, 09:52:54 AM »
Does HAY grow in colors? :lol3:   :colors :colors :colors

I know, I am just delirious this morning....
:funny: :funny: :funny:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2009, 09:54:29 AM »
Question to ya'll... Have we ever thought that the switchback could actually be similar to the U-TURN or YIELD in exercise, and only sends a team to complete the task (somehow like a speedbump)?

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2009, 10:18:45 AM »
Question to ya'll... Have we ever thought that the switchback could actually be similar to the U-TURN or YIELD in exercise, and only sends a team to complete the task (somehow like a speedbump)?

I raised that possibility on page one. Visiting all our favourite (or least favourite) Roadblocks from races before would be much more fun for all us diehard fans though.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2009, 10:57:56 AM »
Is the Switchback a means to pay homage to a previous TAR episode, or is it just an admission by TPTB that they've run out of ideas for new detours and have to start recycling the old detours.
IMHO its a cop out that will probably only be historically significant to TAR aficionados. :meow:
What's next? Will TAR 16 follow the same route and tasks as a previous season?

Maybe its time to bring some new creative juices into the race planning.   I'm available BTW.  ;D
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline spontaneousss

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2009, 11:18:37 AM »

It all depends on the ratio of clues to hay bales. The reason that most teams finished quickly was that the field started with 20 clues in about 270 bales. That gave each team  a 1/13.5 or 7.4% chance at getting one. That means they would have to unroll just 14 bales on average to find a clue. The odds on unrolling over 100 bales and not finding one are astronomical; it would not have happened if Lena was efficient in seeing clues in some of her bales, as there were 12 clues left after all other teams had finished and there should have been approximately 270 - 8 X 13.5 = 162 bales left. Up until that point, her odds of finding a clue in a bale (assuming efficiency on her part) were higher, but even then it had to be something like 12/162 on each try or still 7.4% each try. It should again take her on average at that point only another 14 bales to finish.

So, if you were Bertrand van Munster (who is really a very clever guy), what would you do if you needed to assure that a repeat of the Lena debacle did not happen again? You would increase the ratio of clues to bales, that's what you would do. Doing so would decrease the differentiation between teams coming out of this task, but that's OK since it will be a total BUNCHING for the ferry anyway. Even if they used the original ratio, it should still not take very long for all teams to finish.

If we hadn't known that the Poker Players were decoys I would think that they were the unlucky ones on the Haybale task who took too long too finish (ala Lena & Kristy) but were spared by a NEL thus they weren't on the ferry as the others to Estonia.. but they were decoys indeed..
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 12:19:28 PM by spontaneousss »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2009, 11:54:07 AM »
They were NOT seen on the ferry...which is one reason they WERE decoys.

Is the Switchback a means to pay homage to a previous TAR episode, or is it just an admission by TPTB that they've run out of ideas for new detours and have to start recycling the old detours.
IMHO its a cop out that will probably only be historically significant to TAR aficionados. :meow:

Maybe its time to bring some new creative juices into the race planning.   I'm available BTW.  ;D

They are already recycling locations from TARA and vice versa. I can see TARA using our locations and the contacts we have there...but you would think we could have the $$ to be a little more creative.

Cai be and the Mekong Delta anyone??

Me too, wp! I would be great at location planninhg, lol!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline spontaneousss

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2009, 12:16:47 PM »

They are already recycling locations from TARA and vice versa. I can see TARA using our locations and the contacts we have there...but you would think we could have the $$ to be a little more creative.

Me too, wp! I would be great at location planninhg, lol!

Well if that's the case then I  hope they use the "Holey Statue" task at Prague from TARA2

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2009, 07:37:21 PM »

Yeah, I'm with the Haybales also.  Not that the Broken Ox couldn't be it, but in addition to the reasoning why it might not be it, I don't think they would recreate a past Detour for the new Switchback.

Regardless, the Broken Ox is the most infamous task in TAR history, ITA.  Even people who didn't jump on-board before that know all about it.
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2009, 05:42:05 AM »
I think Lena and Kristy must be the most memorable early eliminated team due to that friggin roadblock. :lol:

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2009, 06:28:40 AM »

Me too, wp! I would be great at location planning, lol!

Me as well! We should work as a team in terms of location and tasks <3 !

WP, I totally agree about what you're saying. Sadly, TPTB and WRP is starting to "run out" of amazing tasks... I think :(