Author Topic: S19: Elizabeth Kim, a urban planner from New York, NY  (Read 6473 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
S19: Elizabeth Kim, a urban planner from New York, NY
« on: August 27, 2009, 10:45:46 AM »
Elizabeth Kim, a urban planner from New York, NY

Elizabeth
Biography
Elizabeth Kim (33)
Hometown: New York, N.Y.

Elizabeth Kim wasn’t born in this country, but that is not stopping her from living the American dream. “Everything I’ve gotten to this date has been out of pure determination.”  Emigrating from South Korea with her parents at age two, Elizabeth grew up in Franklin Lakes, NJ and is the elder of two children.  The first in her family to go to college, this Ivy Leaguer's positive outlook combined with her determination has served her well in life helping her to earn degrees from Barnard-Columbia, Princeton, and University of Pennsylvania, Law School, where she served on Law Review.

After several years of practicing litigation at a top New York City law firm, Elizabeth now works as an urban planner in coordinating and managing industrial real estate development projects for New York City government, although just how much she’ll reveal to her fellow tribemates is still up in the air. “I’m not sure I’m going to tell people where I went to school or that I'm an attorney.”  A self-described “social butterfly,” Elizabeth sees herself as an “outgoing people person" who is opinionated and passionate about life. She admits that this behavior often leads to her being blunt with others and putting her foot in her mouth, and that her biggest challenge will be “being assertive without being abrasive.”

A runner and avid tennis player, Elizabeth tries to stay active as much as possible.  She recently completed training for a marathon, and is looking forward to tackling the game's many physical and mental challenges. 

Currently, Elizabeth resides in New York City. Her birth date is November 24th.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 11:11:12 AM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: S19: Elizabeth Kim, a urban planner from New York, NY
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 03:52:49 PM »
from CBS

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 05:34:02 AM »
Might be able to reach the jury. But that really depends on if her tribe deemed her as a weaker link.

Don't think she has what it takes to win though.. :(

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 03:26:38 PM »
Biggest ‘Survivor’ Challenge for New Contestant Wasn’t Bugs, But Racism of Fellow Cast Members NY Daily News
Elizabeth Kim, one of the 20 castaways in the 19th “Survivor” edition that begins this week on CBS, told the New York Daily News that it wasn’t the bugs and other hardships that really got to her in Samoa -- it was the racist views of some of her fellow contestants.

"In this era, it surprised me very much that people can be racists," Kim told the paper. "Being a woman of color, and living in New York, where everyone is so progressive, that experience heightened the awareness that other parts of the country are not necessarily as progressive as New York."

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwire/2009/09/biggest-survivor-challenge-for.php

Offline s1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 03:53:40 PM »
Elizabeth sees herself as an “outgoing people person" who is opinionated and passionate about life. She admits that this behavior often leads to her being blunt with others and putting her foot in her mouth, and that her biggest challenge will be “being assertive without being abrasive.”

I really hope that she isn't crying race when personality is the problem.  Gender bias I could understand moreso.  Strong, assertive women aren't always treated equally by the males.  I reserve further judgement till I see the show (although what we see isn't always a fair representation). 

Offline River

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 09:37:20 PM »
Sad to see Liz go, she really did give survivor a great effort!
 :tup:

Offline Jeesan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 08:50:20 AM »
 :ascared :ascared :ascared :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I'm so upset. She's been a great player but she wasn't manipulative enough. Had she been able to just hang in there for only one more tribal council, she could've made the merge and gone a long way cause she was smart and perseverant enough to win the challenges and she could've had alliances. Even if she didn't, she'd atleast be in the jury and we'd be able to see more of her. But Alas... :(

Agree with you Dawne, she gave tremendous effort to survivor.

Bye Bye Liz :(

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 11:55:21 AM »
'Survivor''s Elizabeth Kim: 'Russell is a Male Chauvinist Pig'

It was another discouraging night for Foa Foa on "Survivor: Samoa." The tribe was leading the Immunity Challenge, but fell apart when they got to the puzzle portion -- and they blamed Jaison Robinson for their loss. But even so, it was Elizabeth Kim that they sent home from Tribal Council. Now the 33-year-old attorney from New York City tells ET why.

ET: You were one of the stronger women on your team. Why do you think you were voted off?

Liz Kim: Because Russell [Hantz] is a male chauvinist pig! Russell has his vulnerable ego and he never wanted to feel as if any woman was showing him up. He was intimidated. In many ways, I was eliminated because I was a threat, pure and simple. The facts speak for themselves. I gave 110 percent in every challenge. I was easygoing around camp. If the winnings had been a little more even, as they are in most seasons, I would have made it to the merge. No doubt. I would have made it far. I would have flipped because I had no one I could trust in my camp. Russell had already gotten to Natalie who is riding his coattails. He showed the Immunity Idol to Mick and Jaison, which I didn't know about, because I was working on Mick and Jaison to form some kind of yuppie alliance. It was really tough. I had the deck stacked against me. Unlike what Jeff Probst said about being blindsided, you pretty much know if you are going home. Before Tribal Council, I tried talking to Mick about it and he couldn't look at me. I was, "Oh, man. My number is up. If only Jaison hadn't given up, I would be here. I wouldn't be the one going home."

ET: Do you think lack of food affected Jaison's ability to work the puzzle?

Liz Kim: I don't think it was so much the lack of food as it was being demoralized motivationally. This game is very social, but it is also mental. It is mind over matter. When we got to that puzzle, he pretty much gave up because he was sick of losing. Foa Foa is Murphy's Law personified: something always went wrong and we lost. I felt like it wasn't a walk in the park. We weren't eating; we weren't winning the rewards. Losing time after time made it very difficult. While all of us weren't happy about it, Jaison was our biggest complainer. He whined all the time. He was our Debbie Downer. It made it more difficult and it became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

ET: So why didn't they send him home? Do they think his physical strength makes it worth keeping him?

Liz Kim: I don't think it is his physical strength. I think it is because he is a man and Russell felt he could control him. Purely by being a female -- and a strong and opinionated female -- Russell would rather have me taken out, even though Jaison didn't pull his weight during the challenges.

ET: What surprises you now that you can see everything that is happening on TV?

Liz Kim: The biggest surprise was when Russell revealed the idol to Mick and Jaison. It is one thing to find it. That is fine if he had kept it to himself. Then, I could have gotten through to Mick and Jaison. But the idol is very persuasive. It is very powerful. Mick and Jaison weren't strong enough to go against the grain. When you are that tired and that deflated, it is much easier to go with the herd. Russell was the shepherd and they were lambs being led to slaughter. I feel that I already had the deck stacked against me. There was no way I had a shot at winning a challenge. If we had just won one challenge out of the eight that we lost, I might have had a shot. The numbers just weren't there for me.

ET: Why do people believe Russell? When Laura came over from Galu last night, he told her the Immunity Idol had already been found and hidden by Ben, and she believed him.

Liz Kim: That is because she had the two women. She had Kelly and Monica, but, again, Russell will say things to women who aren't particularly bright to make them believe that he will protect them, and it is embarrassing for Laura. She is going to get burned. I avoided being part of his dumb-a$$ girl alliance from the get-go because I didn't trust him.

I was sleeping next to him when he told us that dumb Katrina story. As soon as he said, "I turned around and my dog was gone" … I have a dog. No dog just disappears like that. I already was, "Wow. This guy is full of s@#t!" I wasn't going to call him out on it. I knew well enough to let sleeping dogs lie. I wasn't going to say anything. It was why Marisa got booted so early. So, I kept him at arm's length, but none of the other women did. Laura is getting wrapped around his finger, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

ET: Do you think anybody from Foa Foa will be able to survive once the merge takes place?

Liz Kim: I hope that there is a Foa Foa member who survives, because I like to think I was the sacrificial lamb. I am hoping somebody is able to sneak by and make it to the finals. Even if it is Russell. Foa Foa is America's biggest loser, and I always root for the underdog. I would like to think that even with all the conniving and slimy tricks that Russell pulled, if he wins, more power to him. It is a game at the end of the day. To think that we came out from behind to win the game would be poetic justice.

ET: Any thoughts on who might take it all?

Liz Kim: I think it might be David, Erik or Mick. Those are my three picks. Just because Mick is pretty even-keeled and honest, but not so honest as Shambo. He is not a completely open book. Erik has the idol and he is playing very strategically, as is David. I don't think anybody else. I think Russell is going to self-destruct. He is making way too many alliances and somebody is going to upset that balance of power.

http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/10/80347/index.html

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 10:03:19 AM »
This has to be the best exit interview i've read from the booted Survivors on this season yet! :funny:

On Russell being a MCP... YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hearts: :funny:

Offline River

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 06:23:38 PM »
This has to be the best exit interview i've read from the booted Survivors on this season yet! :funny:

On Russell being a MCP... YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hearts: :funny:
Yes, she was great, great interview!
 :tup: