Author Topic: Chima gone, ratings drop  (Read 3989 times)

Offline IWatch

• RFF Not So Newbie
Chima gone, ratings drop
« on: August 21, 2009, 12:07:20 PM »
With Chima gone, the number of viewers dropped from over 8 million to 7.33 million, even with the "action packed" Thursday show:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/08/21/tv-ratings-thursday-nfl-preseason-octomom/25155

As always, once they're done evicting the mental cases the show instantly sucks. After wacko Lydia left, looking at the six we're left with I thought what a dull bunch, and suddenly I didn't give a crap anymore. I mean, Russell and Natalie don't have anyone left to set them off, so almost a month to go looks way too long. If they could pack what's left of the show into about 10 days, that would feel about right.

Offline Spungo

• RFF Jr. Member
Re: Chima gone, ratings drop
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 06:44:13 PM »
8 to 7.33 is not a significant drop at all. And I doubt it has anything to do with Chima in particular. The show always gets boring once the number of houseguests dwindles. By law of numbers, there will be fewer conversations, less scheming, less confrontation, less drama, etc.

The show is always at its best the first few weeks when there is tonnes of activity in the house.

Offline IWatch

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 08:54:24 PM »
8 to 7.33 is not a significant drop at all. And I doubt it has anything to do with Chima in particular. The show always gets boring once the number of houseguests dwindles. By law of numbers, there will be fewer conversations, less scheming, less confrontation, less drama, etc.

The show is always at its best the first few weeks when there is tonnes of activity in the house.

Is that based on the actual ratings numbers from past seasons? If you check, you'll see the show always gradually builds audience without backtracking. When is the last time you saw an 8% drop from a Tuesday show to a Thursday show? And if it just took numbers of people to create interest, why would all these reality shows be built around elimination? No, it's about personalities and how they interact with each other, and the storyline the producers can create around that. That's why the Evel Dick year stayed strong and put up bigger numbers toward the end than any other season ever put up.

Offline Spungo

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 12:41:42 AM »
From the published BB9 numbers (the first ones I found using google), ratings routinely dropped, then increased, then dropped, then increased all season. There was no "consistent build" whatsoever. 8% drops were not uncommon at all.

Reagrding early season vs. late season..., the 1st, 3rd, and 7th episodes (all early in the year) were the highest rated of the entire season (taking away one or two freak numbers caused by terrific lead-ins from live sporting events like NCAA basketball). In addition, the first show had over a million more viewers than the final show.

You are right about season 8 though... it did seem to build audience very late in the season.

Although... from a wiki entry on season 8, it stated that "Tuesday shows are typically the highest rated among the three episodes every week, with Thursday in second and Sunday, a competitive night in television, in last among all three recap shows.". Which means a drop from Tuesday to Thursday is to be expected and probably had nothing to do with Chima.

I don't see any evidence Chima was a ratings winner and losing her somehow affected the show negatively. I think its more a combination of ALL the interesting personalities (aka "villains") being evicted (Chima included). It's like Star Wars with no Darth Vader. Incredibly boring. Jeff and Jordan are among the most bland personalities in the history of television.

Offline IWatch

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 01:43:49 AM »
From the published BB9 numbers (the first ones I found using google), ratings routinely dropped, then increased, then dropped, then increased all season. There was no "consistent build" whatsoever. 8% drops were not uncommon at all.

Reagrding early season vs. late season..., the 1st, 3rd, and 7th episodes (all early in the year) were the highest rated of the entire season (taking away one or two freak numbers caused by terrific lead-ins from live sporting events like NCAA basketball). In addition, the first show had over a million more viewers than the final show.

You are right about season 8 though... it did seem to build audience very late in the season.

Although... from a wiki entry on season 8, it stated that "Tuesday shows are typically the highest rated among the three episodes every week, with Thursday in second and Sunday, a competitive night in television, in last among all three recap shows.". Which means a drop from Tuesday to Thursday is to be expected and probably had nothing to do with Chima.

I don't see any evidence Chima was a ratings winner and losing her somehow affected the show negatively. I think its more a combination of ALL the interesting personalities (aka "villains") being evicted (Chima included). It's like Star Wars with no Darth Vader. Incredibly boring. Jeff and Jordan are among the most bland personalities in the history of television.

Can you give a link for those BB9 numbers? Except for some laziness this season, I've read the ratings for every single show since BB1 (premier of about 10mil!), and a drop of 8% from Tues. to the eviction show (Wed. or Thurs.) is highly unusual in my memory. As I recall, the biggest you'd ever see, once audience was building, was maybe 5%. And the general trend of building throughout the season, at least after the first week or two has always been clear. As I recall, it would settle in around 5.5-6 million by week two or three, then creep up consistently to 6.7-7.2 million, except BB8 which climbed to 8 million, when you had the ongoing Evel controversy. Unfortunately, TVByTheNumbers.com doesn't maintain a complete archive, and before 2007 I was using other Nielsen listings that aren't available anymore. All I can find are a couple for BB10:

Thurs. 9/11/08: 7.818 million
Tues.  9/09/08: 6.98

Thurs. 8/28/08: 5.969
Tues.  8/26/08: 6.284

It's not that Chima herself is personally the ratings winner or loser, but that with her ouster there's no more strife and controversy and accusations of racism to promote the show. You don't need a lot of people for that, just the right people. BB11's build to 8 million by week 6 is striking, as is the Thursday drop to 7.33 million, but the rest of the season's numbers will tell whether the show's general audience has truly jumped 15% to 8 million from 7 million. I think Lydia was ripe for some bigger and better wacko acting out and could have held the show at 8 million, but now we'll never get to see that promoted.

America's involvement interestingly can go both ways. It ruined BB1 by indulging in the joy of ejecting the nut jobs and leaving us with a group of fuddy duddies. But then it made BB8 by forcing Eric to keep Evel when obviously (and by his own admission) Eric would have joined the house in ejecting him. America didn't suddenly love a villain there, but loved a villain with a softer (Danielle) side. Generally, though, America's involvement is fun for a second, then leaves us with crap.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 12:29:54 PM »
It's not that Chima herself is personally the ratings winner or loser, but that with her ouster there's no more strife and controversy and accusations of racism to promote the show. You don't need a lot of people for that, just the right people. BB11's build to 8 million by week 6 is striking, as is the Thursday drop to 7.33 million, but the rest of the season's numbers will tell whether the show's general audience has truly jumped 15% to 8 million from 7 million. I think Lydia was ripe for some bigger and better wacko acting out and could have held the show at 8 million, but now we'll never get to see that promoted.

America's involvement interestingly can go both ways. It ruined BB1 by indulging in the joy of ejecting the nut jobs and leaving us with a group of fuddy duddies. But then it made BB8 by forcing Eric to keep Evel when obviously (and by his own admission) Eric would have joined the house in ejecting him. America didn't suddenly love a villain there, but loved a villain with a softer (Danielle) side. Generally, though, America's involvement is fun for a second, then leaves us with crap.

I agree that the fun/nutty people are gone and BB is more boring. If Nat or Russ get evicted next week, it will be even more boring. To hold viewership there has to be conflict or drama. Chima was a huge draw from the beginning to her demise.
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline RealityFanWA

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 04:16:05 PM »
With Chima gone, the number of viewers dropped from over 8 million to 7.33 million, even with the "action packed" Thursday show:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/08/21/tv-ratings-thursday-nfl-preseason-octomom/25155

As always, once they're done evicting the mental cases the show instantly sucks. After wacko Lydia left, looking at the six we're left with I thought what a dull bunch, and suddenly I didn't give a crap anymore. I mean, Russell and Natalie don't have anyone left to set them off, so almost a month to go looks way too long. If they could pack what's left of the show into about 10 days, that would feel about right.

Big Brother will still edit the show for high action drama.  :hearts: BB11 will be just fine, even though I miss Chima and Lydia in a weird way haha.

Offline bearsfolife

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 09:54:25 AM »

I agree that the fun/nutty people are gone and BB is more boring. If Nat or Russ get evicted next week, it will be even more boring. To hold viewership there has to be conflict or drama. Chima was a huge draw from the beginning to her demise.

I think this week is interesting with the potential for Russell being put up. I think there would be lots of fighting if that happens b/c he's bound to blow up again.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 10:45:52 AM »
I miss Chima more than Lydia.  :meow: I am waiting for the molten lava to blow in a massive eruption!
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.