Author Topic: Technical notes  (Read 158392 times)

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Technical notes
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2012, 10:37:48 AM »
Google street view has come to portions of South Korea for the first time
They have good coverage of Seoul, Busan and Incheon. For everything else, Daum is still the best bet.
Google is advancing on the Eastern Front; I wonder how Yandex let that happen. And speaking of Yandex, they've created a platform named Reykjavik which should make English searches easier. And they've expanded their streetview coverage to include some Black Sea resort areas as well as Istanbul and Ankara (but you can't--yet--zoom the map to street level, making the street view useless for our purposes).
In other streetview news, Mapjack has dropped coverage for all except a few spots in Thailand. And the German site Sightwalk dropped its streetview coverage last year due to the privacy controversy in Germany and Switzerland.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2012, 12:30:26 AM »
Well, Streetview now covers several areas in Thailand, including Bangkok, Phuket and Chiang Mai. This seems like a knockout punch for poor ol' Mapjack (I kind of liked that site). On the bright side, I believe I can pinpoint the Karen village that Neobie was looking for. The cars hang a right at the pictured intersection in Chiang Dao, then a left, then another right: it would seem to be just east of town (kmz attached).

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2012, 04:37:19 PM »
Wow!! That is awesome!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2012, 07:13:14 PM »
For those just jumping into spoiling, this online course from Google on advanced searching might help: video lectures, quizzes, etc.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2012, 01:27:36 PM »
 :lol:  Every TAR Detective knows about the IMDb.org site.  But did you know about the IMCDb.org? (Internet Movie Car Database)  Yes, you too can research all the various automobiles found in your favorite flick/TV show.

What's that you say?  You're curious about the vehicles seen on TAR?  Well, just click here and enjoy.   :lol3:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2012, 04:51:55 PM »
WOw!! You find the best stuff!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2012, 01:46:19 AM »
What do you get when you marry auto-suggest and street view? Instant Google Street View. It might save some clicks. There are also buttons to generate links and download images.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2013, 03:30:55 AM »
Wikipedia has opened a travel wiki site at http://wikivoyage.org. They are claiming that it is in it's infancy and will improve as people add their knowledge. I thought it was pretty good right now for a few places that TAR 22 visited (Maun, Botswana, Bora Bora and Christchurch). However, I checked out some small cities in the fairly rural area that I live in and the pages were barebones and needed more work. I imagine it will get better over time.

Wikivoyage is aimed towards travelers and it has info about how to get somewhere, what to see and good restaurants and hotels. I'd expect this would be useful when we first learn that TAR has gone to a particular location to get a quick overview of the interesting sites in the area where filming may occur. It may also provide some insight as to the travel options (plane, train or bus) into and out of the area.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2013, 12:40:50 AM »
This post explains how Google Translate makes it easier to find the virtual keyboards you need; once you've selected the input language, click the drop-down arrow next to the input icon and click on the keyboard symbol.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2013, 07:26:56 AM »
Great, we can use that! Thanks Slowhatch!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2013, 12:24:16 AM »
The NSA has recently declassified their own detective manual  :gman:  :). Although ancient by internet standards (2007), you might be able to pull some helpful nuggets out of the 600+ pages. Story and download link here.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2013, 01:12:17 AM »
Wonobo has just launched, promising street view images of a dozen Indian cities. It's slow and a little buggy, but it's still better than anything Google is offering.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2013, 08:57:31 PM »
Neobie just reminded us about City8 for Chinese street view. There's also a new kid on the block: Soso. Here's the Ram statue in Guangzhou. Click on the eyeball button (similar to the Daum streetview in Korea) to activate the image-mapping.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2013, 12:33:23 PM »
Google Maps has added "Street View transit locations" - street view for airports, train stations, museums.
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?authuser=0&hl=en&mid=zqafVP2X3Jp8.kL0YSq0tl8qw

Because you never know when you might need to look inside the Tenerife Airport or the Ngong Ping Cable Car station.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2014, 11:10:49 AM »
Not exactly on topic, but I don't know where to put this...

How about instead of drunken careening cameramen, we use this?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2014, 12:15:06 PM »
Essentially those are the GoPro cameras (http://gopro.com/); the inventor just took his company public in an IPO, and is a billionaire as a result.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2014, 01:07:07 PM »
 ;) speaking of GoPro cameras.... was able to test drive one the other day, and they are everything you would ever want in an "action" camera.  Full HD video (even UHD 4K), 7MB stills, time lapse, HDMI output, and even a wireless remote control.  Bit on the expensive side, considering it's the size of a couple of match boxes.  I can see the attraction to this product, both by the consumers and investors.   :snicker:   

:hoot:  Edited to add:  GoPro has a "Everything We Make Daily Giveaway" on their website.

http://gopro.com/daily-giveaway

Enter daily to win a GoPro camera, and everything they make.   :yess:  Sounds like a no-brainer.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 01:23:39 PM by Boingo »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2014, 12:04:26 PM »
 :hoot: Now you can experience the "Sounds of Street View" thanks to the UK company Amplifon. 

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/25/sounds-of-street-view/

http://www.amplifon.co.uk/sounds-of-street-view/index.html

Get the ambiance of the location you're viewing in Google Maps with the addition of sounds.   :snicker:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2015, 02:47:06 PM »
As you may know, Google Earth Pro is now free, and registration is no longer required; download it, then sign in with an email address and the license key GEPFREE. There are a few (not many) Pro features of interest to our work: possibly Viewshed and HD Movie Maker.
Also, Bhutan slipped under the streetview radar a few months ago. Here's a viewpoint for traffic control in Thimphu, which claims to be the only world capital without a streetlight.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2015, 02:54:52 PM »
oh wow!! Thanks so much!! Bhutan!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2015, 03:07:25 PM »
This post explains how Google Translate makes it easier to find the virtual keyboards you need; once you've selected the input language, click the drop-down arrow next to the input icon and click on the keyboard symbol.

:)  Google keeps updating Google Translate with even more features since your original posting.  Not only does it have "foreign" keyboard entry but also "handwriting recognition".

Just pull down on the "pencil" icon (select "handwrite") and draw letters/characters via the mouse.  Came in handy for spoiling the latest season of TAR. 

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2015, 03:16:05 PM »
oh wow.....  way cool!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2015, 10:51:31 AM »
I actually tried to use the Chinese handwriting thing on Google Translate when I was wiki'ing for China Rush, and it did not work at ALL.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2015, 01:25:24 AM »
Suncalc, a gadget that may make Chateau's job a little easier.