The Amazing Race > The Amazing Race Discussion

Technical notes

<< < (20/30) > >>

georgiapeach:
cool!! Thanks!!

Dom:
Google have launched their own flight searching service, which automatically searches for connections, but at the moment it only works for US flights. This will probably not be so useful to detectives who are experienced with geography and general flight patterns, but for people who don't know their Heathrows from their Gatwicks, this could prove invaluable!

http://www.google.com/flights/

Prophet:
Google street view has come to portions of South Korea for the first time:

http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2012/01/take-tour-of-south-korea-using-street.html

Slowhatch:

--- Quote from: theschnauzers ---Hold on, the original video is presumably filmed in HD, right? The problem is that one needs to capture similar high resolution caps of the video in order to enhance it and get closer detail. I'm not blaming anyone who's made caps from video since TAR went to HD, but the recording technology most of us have access to is not in HD, but SD, so we're losing a fair amount of date in the signal translation before the images are captured. Of coursem I have no idea whether the online videos from CBS are HD or not, but I doubt anyone else necessarily has the proper eqipment to capture images from the HD feed. (One way to est this is whether there are such things as Blu-Ray video recorders, and as I recall there are not because the media companies are afraid of the quality of copies that can be made that way. Of course one can pay to download HD versions of the episodes, but those things are memory hogs on computers....about 1 GB for a regular episode of TAR.
--- End quote ---
A video clip from the CBS site clocks in at 640 X 360 resolution; the same clip, however, offered by CBS through Youtube is available in 720p. It can make a difference, just...not in this case.

theschnauzers:
For future reference, regarding aircraft identification numbers. Each country generally has a unique letter(s) identifier for its aircraft registration number, which have to be visible on the aircraft (planes, jets, balloons, all of 'em). The U.S. prefix is "N". There is a registry which I believe can be accessed online through the Federal Aviation Administration, that is maintained in Oklahoma City, and it will provide you with aircraft type, model, ownership name and address.
I've never had reason to check, but it all likelihood other countries have a similarly accessible registry of such information online.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version