Author Topic: Dancing with the Stars - 9  (Read 46220 times)

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
Re: Dancing with the Stars - 9
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2009, 02:04:38 PM »
Tuesday’s Dancing: What You Didn’t See

Staying on Target: Kelly Osbourne and her dance partner Louis van Amstel didn’t stay long after Tuesday’s results show because the pair had to catch a late-night flight to New York. “I’ve lived there for seven years and her parents are in New York, so we’re going to have a good time,” says van Amstel. Although Osbourne has a work obligation, which she committed before the start of the show, van Amstel says he plans to keep Osbourne focused and her distractions — such as her computer and phone — locked in a black box. But it doesn’t look like it will be too hard now that the couple has made it to the semi-finals. “I never thought we would get this far and it’s so close we can taste it,” says Osbourne. “I don’t care what it takes, I’m going to make it happen!”

Dance Fever: Singer Mya says she’s got her game face on now that she and her dance partner Dmitry Chaplin are entering the semi-finals. “I did not start training on Aug. 18 to get this far and say, ‘Hey, we’re safe.’ We are putting on our game faces,” she says. As she began explaining how they were going to start training like athletes train for the Olympics, her partner looked scared. “She brought in a [dry erase] board and she put the rules on there and started treating it as a sport,” he said, “like mandatory massage every week.”

Lady Luck: Since Kym Johnson joined DWTS during season 3, she has been the runner-up twice (with Joey Fatone in season 4 and with Warren Sapp in season 7). Current partner Donny Osmond wants to win the coveted trophy for himself, but he really wants to see his partner win it all. “I want to win it for her,” says Osmond. “Yes, I would love to have it, but I really want Kym to have that mirrored ball!”

Encore, Encore: Although it was Mya and Chaplin who received a perfect score Monday night for their ’70s-inspired samba, Joanna Krupa and Derek Hough were tapped to perform the encore dance on Tuesday. Their futuristic interpretation of the paso doble was called “genius” by judges Len Goodman and Bruno Tonioli. “It was such an honor because obviously there were so many great dances last night,” says Krupa, who is also on her way to the semi-finals. “I’m so excited. This [experience] exceeded my expectations.”

Spotted In the Crowd: Playboy founder Hugh Hefner and his girlfriends were ringside Tuesday night. Hefner — who doesn’t often leave the Playboy mansion — applauded enthusiasticly for Hough and Krupa, who appears on the cover of his magazine for its December issue.

http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/11/11/tuesdays-dancing-what-you-didnt-see-29/

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #126 on: November 15, 2009, 10:40:14 PM »
Melissa Rycroft and Tony Dovolani who finished third last season are back together and rehearsing to do a dance on Tuesday's results show. Tony tweeted this pic:

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #127 on: November 17, 2009, 02:41:59 AM »
SEMI-FINAL SCOREBOARD:

ROUND ONE:

Donny/Kym
Tango                7    7    7    21

Joanna/Derek
Viennese Waltz    9    9    9    27

Kelly/Louis
Rumba               8    8    8    24

Mya/Dmitry
Waltz                9    9   10    28

ROUND TWO:

Donny/Kym
Samba               8    9    9    26 

Joanna/Derek
Cha Cha Cha      9    9    9    27

Kelly/Louis
Quickstep          9    9    9    27

Mya/Dmitry
Salsa              10   10   10   30

ROUND THREE:

Donny/Kym
Jitterbug          9    9    9    27

Joanna/Derek
Salsa              9    9    9    27

Kelly/Louis
Cha Cha Cha   9    9    9     27

Mya/Dmitry
Cha Cha Cha   9   10   10   29

COMBINED SCORES:

Donny/Kym       74
Joanna/Derek    81
Kelly/Louis        78
Mya/Dmitry       87

Offline msbuni

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #128 on: November 17, 2009, 02:59:10 PM »
Julianne Hough Not Returning to Dancing with the Stars
November 17, 2009

Sorry, Julianne Hough fans, you’ll have to endure another season of Dancing with the Stars without your favorite pro dancer in the ballroom. Hough, whose break from the show started with the current season, says she won’t be back for season 9.

“No I’m not [coming back] next season,” Hough, 21, told Ryan Seacrest at the New Moon premiere Monday night in Los Angeles.

And as for whether she might come back the following season, Hough dodged the question. “We’re going go cross that bridge when we come to it,” she said.

Yet another mystery concerning Hough, who recently broke up with ex-boyfriend Chuck Wicks, is whether there’s another chapter to that story.

“So are you single?” Seacrest asked.

“Um, technically,” Hough said without explaining further.

Perhaps she she was talking about being in a committed relationship with her busy career as a country singer and budding movie star. Hough will star in the upcoming movie Burlesque with Cher and Christina Aguilera.

One thing there are no questions about: Who she wants to win this season of Dancing With the Stars — her brother Derek Hough, who’s partnered with model Joanna Krupa.

“I’m going to do some rallying for my brother right now,” she said.

The interview was published online at the Web site for Seacrest’s radio show. –Michael Y. Park

Catch up on the semi-final competition on Dancing with the Stars!

Offline msbuni

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #129 on: November 17, 2009, 02:59:42 PM »
Monday’s Dancing: What You Didn’t See
November 17, 2009

Improv Act: Kelly Osbourne was pretty in pink Monday night as she sashayed on the dance floor for her first performance of the night. But things weren’t as they appeared. “In case you didn’t know, my 20-second solo was completely made up,” she says of her rumba. “I got out there and froze.” Her partner Louis van Amstel had complete faith in her as he watched on. “I was standing behind her and thinking, ‘Keep your cool. Keep your cool,’” he tells PEOPLE. The judges didn’t detect her new routine — the couple scored all 8s.

Making an Impression: As if there wasn’t enough pressure for the final four couples in the semi-finals, famed choreographer Kenny Ortega sat ringside watching the performances. “Donny [Osmond] is an inspiration and an incredible role model and I can’t believe how hard he’s working,” he said. But it was Osbourne’s performances that had him smiling each time she kicked up her heels. “Kelly blew me away tonight. It’s wonderful to watch them all grow in the arms of their partners,” he said. “I jumped out of my seat like a jack-in-the-box after [her] quickstep.” After the show, Osbourne said Ortega’s comments nearly moved her to tears: “He said when I dance, he can see my heart on the dance floor and that’s what a real dancer is.”

Energizer Bunny: For the first time in the history of the show, the dancers performed three dances in a single night. Joanna Krupa says she did her best to stay consistent throughout the two-hour show. “I just wondered if I could keep the stamina because we already did it at rehearsals and then dress rehearsals, so we did the dances nine times!” she says. “I’m trying to take my vitamins and eat extra just to keep my energy up.”

Arms of Steel: Mya’s dry-erase board is filled with rules that she uses to keep herself and her dance partner Dmitry Chaplin focused on their goal. One of them was the dreaded push-up rule. “I had to do five push-ups per mistake,” she says. Mya couldn’t remember how many she did as she prepared for three dances, but it was enough to make her strive for perfection. “I was really sore and I got two massages this week,” she says. Chaplin says it’s going to be harder if they make it to next week’s finals. “If we get to next week,” he tells PEOPLE, “it’ll be 15 push-ups.”

Full House: There were plenty of celebrities in attendance, showing their support for the semi-finalists. Some of them included DWTS alumni Marie Osmond, Lisa Rinna and Melissa Joan Hart. Others included Sharon Osbourne, Robin Antin — creator of The Pussycat Dolls — and actor Rick Yune, who will appear in the movie Ninja Assassin on Thanksgiving Day. Throughout the performance, he called Joanna’s Viennese waltz “beautiful” and Mya’s perfect salsa “incredible,” but said he was rooting for Osbourne. “I was really taken by Kelly,” he said. “She was endearing, captivating and a real princess.” –Elaine Aradillas

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #130 on: November 18, 2009, 10:06:43 AM »
 :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

TO THE DANCING WITH THE STARS SEASON 9 FINALISTS:

MYA AND DMITRY CHAPLIN

KELLY OSBOURNE AND LOUIS VAN AMSTEL

DONNY OSMOND AND KYM JOHNSON

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Offline msbuni

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #131 on: November 18, 2009, 11:10:19 AM »
Finally my voting didn't eliminate someone I voted for!!   :jumpy:  :jumpy: :wohoo:  Go Donnie & Kym!! 

Offline msbuni

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2009, 11:23:31 AM »
Joanna Krupa and Derek Hough eliminated from 'Dancing with the Stars'

After nine weeks, Dancing with the Stars has determined its three ninth-season finale couples.

Model Joanna Krupa and her professional partner Derek Hough became the thirteenth couple eliminated from Dancing with the Stars' ninth season during last night's live results show broadcast on ABC.

Krupa and Hough were eliminated from the competition based on a combination of the judges' scores they had received for the three dances they had performed on Dancing with the Stars' Monday night performance show and the home viewer votes that were cast immediately following the broadcast.

"It's been such an amazing experience, thank you to the judges," Krupa  said following her elimination.  "I've grown as a person and thank you for giving me the opportunity.  I had a great partner."

Krupa and Hough had placed second on Monday night's judges' leaderboard with 81 out of 90 possible points.  They had received 27 out of 30 points for their Viennese waltz, 27 out of 30 points for their cha-cha, and 27 out of 30 points for their salsa.

Former The Osbournes star Kelly Osbourne and her partner Louis van Amstel had finished in third place on the judges' leaderboard and were the other couple still in danger of elimination when Krupa and Hough's elimination was revealed, however Dancing with the Stars co-host Samantha Harris had been careful to note they were not necessarily the week's second-lowest ranked couple.

"Kelly for me has taken dancing into her heart and in doing so has entered all of ours, she's been wonderful.  And Joanna [and Derek], you've been for me the most consistent of all of our couples.  You've been wonderful," lead judge Len Goodman said before Dancing with the Stars host Tom Bergeron announced Krupa and Hough's ouster.  "Whoever goes will be sadly missed."

Singer/actress Mya and her partner Dmitry Chaplin had finished on top of the judges' leaderboard for a second consecutive week -- and the fifth time in the competition -- with 87 out of 90 possible points.  They had received 28 out of 30 points for their waltz, a perfect 30 out of 30 points for their salsa, and 29 out of 30 points for their cha-cha.

Osbourne and van Amstel had finished in third place after receiving 78 out of 90 possible points -- 24 out of 30 points for their rumba, 27 out of 30 points for their quickstep, and 27 out of 30 points for their cha-cha.

Entertainer Donny Osmond and his partner Kym Johnson had ranked last on the judges' leaderboard after receiving 74 out of 90 possible points.  They had received 21 out of 30 points for their tango, 26 out of 30 points for their samba, and 27 out of 30 points for their jitterbug.

Dancing with the Stars' three remaining ninth-season finalists will perform on next Monday's final performance show and the season's champion will be crowned on Tuesday night's season-finale broadcast.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2009, 04:01:32 PM »
Finally my voting didn't eliminate someone I voted for!!   :jumpy:  :jumpy: :wohoo:  Go Donnie & Kym!! 

To that, I say -- GO MYA & DMITRY!  I'm voting my heart out for them!

Belle Book

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #134 on: November 19, 2009, 12:53:27 AM »
Tuesday’s Dancing: What You Didn’t See

Their First Time: Everyone always asks the celebrities what it’s like to be heading to the Dancing with the Stars finale, but this is a new experience for pro dancer Dmitry Chapin, too. The pro dancer twirled onto the dance floor for the first time last season but not without a few twists. His original partner was singer Jewel, who withdrew from the competition before it started due to an injury. With less than a week before the premiere, he was paired up with Holly Madison, who was eliminated in the fourth week. A season later, and he’s headed to the finals! “It’s about the partnership. I might have the best dancer, the best partner, but if the partnership doesn’t work, then we’re not going to go anywhere. I’m really happy with Mya,” he says. “We didn’t fight even once. We didn’t have any arguments in the studio.”

Family Affair: Even though it was Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne who received a frenzied applause when they walked to their seats moments before showtime, it was Ozzy who cheered the loudest when he learned his daughter Kelly was headed to the finals. “We’ve watched our baby mature into a gorgeous, young woman,” he said after the show. “She hasn’t had a dance lesson in her life and I think she’s done remarkably well.” It was a long show as Kelly’s parents waited to hear whether their youngest daughter would make it. “I don’t know that I can take much more of this,” Ozzy joked.

Winner’s Circle: Former teen idol Donny Osmond is the oldest competitor in the race for this season’s mirror-ball trophy. Considered a front-runner early on in the competition, Osmond found himself struggling for high scores from the judges. On Tuesday night, Osmond jumped for joy and pumped his fists into the air when host Tom Bergeron announced he made the cut. “It was probably the hardest weeks of all weeks. You’ve got to make the finals. The semi-finals doesn’t cut it. You’ve got to go all the way. We’ve worked way too hard not to,” he says.

Dance Fever: It was the 50th anniversary of the Bee Gees, who took the stage Tuesday night to perform their classic, “You Should Be Dancing.” The crowd was treated to a performance of the hustle by the pro dancers, as well as a familiar face — Melissa Rycroft! She danced with her partner Tony Dovolani, who says they have remained friends since last season. “We see each other like once a month. We enjoyed each other’s company and that says a lot about us,” says Dovolani. “We enjoy working with each other but at the same time, we became friends, which is good.” Rycroft joked that her dance partner is better friends with her fiancé Tye Strickland. “Half the time, Tony will call me and we’ll miss each other’s call,” she said. “Then he’ll call Tye and they’ll start talking.”

http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/11/18/tuesdays-dancing-what-you-didnt-see-30/#more-20350

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #135 on: November 24, 2009, 02:49:33 AM »
FINALS SCOREBOARD:

ROUND ONE: ORIGINAL DANCE

Kelly/Louis
Argentine Tango      9     9    8    26

Mya/Dmitry
Paso Doble            10    10   10   30

Donny/Kym
Cha Cha Cha          9     9     9    27

ROUND TWO: MEGAMIX CHALLENGE

Kelly/Louis         Ranked 3rd=26

Mya/Dmitry       Ranked 1st=30

Donny/Kym       Ranked 2nd=28

ROUND THREE: FREESTYLE

Kelly/Louis       8    8     8     24

Mya/Dmitry      9    9    9      27

Donny/Kym     10   10   10    30

TOTAL SCORE:

Kelly/Louis      76

Mya/Dmitry     87

Donny/Kym     85    
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:54:50 AM by RealityFreakWill »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #136 on: November 24, 2009, 08:26:16 AM »
I must say that I thought (just as the judges did) that Mya was the superior dancer. However, Donnie's huge fan base are likely to give him the win tonight.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:51:23 PM by apskip »

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #137 on: November 24, 2009, 12:15:35 PM »
Monday’s Dancing: What You Didn’t See

TENDER HEART: Moments before the show ended, a video recap of the night aired on the studio monitors. The three couples took their marks on the dance floor, except for Donny Osmond. Downright giddy after receiving a perfect score for his freestyle routine, Osmond ran across the dance floor to embrace his sister Marie Osmond. Tears welled up in his eyes as his sister congratulated him. After the show, the famous siblings shared another tender moment and once again, Donny had trouble holding back his emotions. “I lost it with Marie,” Donny told PEOPLE, dabbing his eyes with a tissue. “Last week I blamed her for being a distraction in the audience. This week when I saw her, it was just the opposite. She was here supporting me and gave me what I needed to leave it all on the floor.”

BALLROOM WHITNEY: Pop queen Whitney Houston graced the ballroom following Monday night’s live show. Houston was on hand to pre-tape two musical numbers, which will air during Tuesday night’s live results show. Ten of Dancing’s pros, including Lacey Schwimmer, strutted their stuff while Houston sang her popular 1980s anthem “I Wanna Dance With Somebody.” “She is literally an icon. We were rehearsing this morning and she walked in and we were all staring at her,” Schwimmer said after the performance. “It was like a goddess walked in. We talked to her and she was the nicest! She didn’t have to do that and she did. Who gets to dance for Whitney Houston, and to her biggest dance song? It was such a cool experience.” And Schwimmer says if Houston ever wants to come back as a contestant, “that would be awesome. If she did, all of the guys would be fighting over who gets to dance with her for sure!”

HOST WITH THE MOST: If there’s anything Tom Bergeron doesn’t do, it’s miss out on a comedic opportunity. Minutes before Monday night’s show went live on the air, judges Carrie Ann Inaba and Len Goodman walked to their seats. But where was Bruno Tonioli? Warm-up comedian Cory Almeida called out, “Where’s our third judge? I guess we’re only going with two judges tonight.” That’s when Bergeron jumped up onto the platform, and then again onto the judges’ table. Channeling the flamboyant Italian judge, Bergeron swiveled his hips, much to the delight of the crowd. Tonioli walked onto the stage and could barely contain himself. The two men hugged and laughed, then returned to their rightful spots moments before show time.

IT AIN’T OVER YET: They received the lowest scores Monday night, but Louis van Amstel and Kelly Osbourne weren’t about to let that discourage them. “It ain’t over yet,” van Amstel said backstage after the show. “We have been getting tremendous fan votes and not one week have we [campaigned]. But now we’re saying ‘vote!’ We have one more dance tomorrow night, so don’t count us out.” Pro Lacey Schwimmer agrees that Osbourne does have a fighting chance against the higher scoring Mya and Donny Osmond. “Kelly has the personality and for that alone, people want to watch her and want to root for her.” Schwimmer went on to say that the other two finalists were pretty amazing to watch too. “Donny is such a performer and Mya is the most polished of all. It can go any way. The scores are pretty close, but I think the fan votes will decide the winner.” Mark Ballas, meantime, had a clear vision of who will be crowned the season nine champ Tuesday night. “I think Donny’s got it. He completely played his cards right with the Broadway show dance. Kym looked beautiful tonight, too.”

STAR POWER: There’s nothing like a finale to bring out a cast of who’s who in the audience. Dionne Warwick was on hand for the show, as were former DWTS contestants Steve Wozniak, Lisa Rinna, Harry Hamlin, Jane Seymour, Marie Osmond, Maurice Green, Denise Richards and Gilles Marini. Female fans in the balcony seats called out to Marini during a commercial break and he kindly waved back. During the next commercial break, they called out to the French actor again, and this time Marini bounded up the staircase to the balcony, where he embraced as many fans as he could before returning to his seat. Not one to disappoint, during the following commercial break, he visited with fans seated in the ballroom’s other balcony.

http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/11/24/mondays-dancing-what-you-didnt-see-36/#more-20596

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #138 on: November 24, 2009, 10:29:31 PM »
FINALE RESULTS:

FINAL PERFORMANCE BY JUDGE'S RANKINGS:

Kelly/Louis
Viennese Waltz       3rd=26  combined with last night of 76 equals 102

Mya/Dmitry
Jive                      2nd=28 combined with last night of 87 equals 115

Donny/Kym
Argentine Tango      1st=30 combined with last night of 85 equals 115  

THIRD PLACE IS:

KELLY OSBOURNE AND LOUIS VAN AMSTEL

SECOND PLACE IS:

MYA AND DMITRY CHAPLIN

SEASON 9 DANCING WITH THE STARS CHAMPIONS

DONNY OSMOND AND KYM JOHNSON
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 10:18:23 AM by RealityFreakWill »

Offline msbuni

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #139 on: November 25, 2009, 07:51:01 AM »
Donny Osmond Wins Dancing!
November 25, 2009

It was the perfect ending to “an emotional roller coaster season” Donny Osmond told PEOPLE minutes after he and partner Kym Johnson were awarded the Season Nine mirror ball trophy. The former teen idol, 51, humbly addressed fans and press members after the show, tearing up as he tried to express how he felt to be the winner.

“If you saw the work that went into this season,” Osmond said softly. “Kym is so amazing. Of all the things I’ve done in my career, this is right up there.”

When Osmond heard his name called, he rushed over to his wife, Debbie, and swept her off her feet and onto the ballroom floor.

“That was so special for me to have Kym on my right and Debbie on my left. What a night,” said Osmond, who was surrounded by his family after the show. His sons quipped that a great place to display the trophy would be on top of this year’s Christmas tree.

Osmond beat out runner-up Mya, who had consistently performed well this season, and fan favorite Kelly Osbourne.

“I was so shocked when Kelly was eliminated. I couldn’t believe it,” says Osmond, who joined the crowd in chanting “Kelly! Kelly!” as Osbourne left the dance floor.

Osmond and Johnson had to miss Tuesday night’s wrap party in order to catch an overnight flight to New York to appear on Good Morning America Wednesday. But after that, Osmond said his plans were to reconnect with his family for Thanksgiving. And then, he said giddily, “We’re all going to Hawaii!”

Just moments after Osmond and his partner were announced as champs, a pyrotechnic display on the stage behind them sparked a fire. A tarp covering the orchestra pit and instruments caught on fire while host Tom Bergeron was speaking to the victorious couple live on the air. Two crew members rushed onto the stage with fire extinguishers and put out the flames within a matter of seconds.

“It was crazy,” pro dancer Anna Trebunskaya told PEOPLE after the show. “They put out the fire fast, so fortunately no one was hurt.”

It was the last of a series of technical difficulties that peppered the two-hour finale, which, all in all, was arguably the most exciting telecast of the season, and kept host Bergeron on his toes.

During the first five minutes of the show a recap video of Monday night’s performances had a glitch and froze. Bergeron jumped in and quipped to viewers, “Did I mention that we’re a live show?” The show went to commercial for 60 seconds before the video recap was repeated, with the affable host joking that the do-over was on purpose because they wanted to make sure viewers were paying attention.

Later in the telecast, Osmond took center stage to sing his 1970s hit “Puppy Love” while Louie Vito and Chelsie Hightower danced. For the first several lines of the song, Osmond’s microphone was not working. But he kept on singing and within seconds, sound was restored and all of the soccer moms in the audience, and presumably at home, swooned in stereo.

Mya, the evening’s runner-up, was duly impressed.

“He is such a professional and he is teaching us all how to do it properly,” Mya said. “I have the utmost respect for him.”
— Monica Rizzo

http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/11/25/donny-osmond-wins-dancingi/#more-20608

Offline msbuni

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #140 on: November 25, 2009, 07:51:56 AM »
Carrie Ann Inaba to Undergo Surgery
November 25, 2009

Dancing With the Stars judge Carrie Ann Inaba tells PEOPLE she is scheduled to have surgery Wednesday morning in Los Angeles to relieve pressure and stiffness in her neck caused by spinal stenosis.

“I have arthritis. The space around my spinal cord has become compressed,” Inaba explains. “I have been locked. My neck was so stiff. We’re hoping this procedure will relieve that.”

Spinal stenosis occurs when the spinal canal narrows, putting pressure on one or more areas of the spinal cord. The condition can be caused by arthritis or an injury.

“I’ll be fine and if this surgery goes well, I may have another one in the future,” Inaba says, noting that she still plans to attend the Dizzy Feet Foundation’s Celebration of Dance fundraiser on Sunday, November 29 in Los Angeles. Inaba is one of Dizzy Feet’s founding members. — Monica Rizzo

Offline msbuni

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #141 on: November 25, 2009, 07:55:29 AM »
 2009  02:00 AM ET

* Comments (30)

Donny Osmond on 'DWTS' win: 'I don't think I've worked harder for any accolade'
by Lynette Rice
Categories: News, Reality TV, Television

While rushing off to the airport to appear on Good Morning America, Dancing With The Stars victor Donny Osmond got on the phone with EW.com to talk about his (not-so-surprising) win, his body aches, and how he plans to torture sister Marie with his shiny new prize.

EW: Did you think you would win?
Donny: You always hope you can win. This morning when I got up it was like, it could go any way. Kelly was the fan favorite, but Mya was the better dancer. I was worried, I didn’t know what was going to happen. When Tom called our names, it was a dream come true.

How much do you think Monday’s freestyle dance had to do with your win?
Everything. That was the breakthrough. This whole journey has been up and down, it hasn’t been consistent. Yesterday marked a breakthrough week for us, especially by what the judges said to us. Kym’s concept — everything she did for it — was spot on.

Did you collaborate or did she have it all planned out?
We collaborated. Initially it was her choice. She wanted to do Broadway right from the get-go. But the judges always said, “You are performing too much, get the technique down.”  Kym said, “Let’s bring out the performer and do Broadway.” We had the idea of being backstage with the dressing table and all that kind of stuff. We took chances with the gimmicks but there are no rules so we said let’s go for it. That was the breakthrough.

A lot of attention was given to your “old age” even though you are far from the oldest contestant DWTS has ever had. Did the producers goad you into focusing on that storyline? Did you really talk about your age that much?
We did talk about it. It was an interesting story. I am the oldest recipient to receive the mirror ball trophy. I’m almost 52. And I’m not trying to hide it either. It was an angle that the producers were interested in, but it wasn’t the only thing they anchored on.

How do you plan to torture Marie with your disco ball trophy?
Oh I don’t know … I should put it outside her door so when she walks out she will see it [laughs].  I was joking to the press that I should put it on top of my house with a spotlight and a rotating beacon so all of Utah can see! All joking aside, one of the nicest moments for me was when I pulled her out at the very end. There were three things that I’ll always remember…one, when I saw Kym’s face when it was announced that we won, when I pulled my wife out on stage with us and when I pulled Marie out and she got to hold the trophy.

Which part of your body hurts right now?
Everything. I’ve been dancing on a broken toe since week 3.

Besides the week when you got sick, was there ever a time you felt like you hit the wall and didn’t want to go on?
Yes, it was Sunday night. I thought I couldn’t do this. I was lying down and saying I don’t think I can do this. Kym was so determined. She said, “We have to do it one more time.” From the get-go there were a lot of motivating factors to keep you going and one of the biggest ones was that Kym has finished in second twice. This is her first one, she wanted it so badly. That was a main motivation.

Where does this rank in terms of your career achievements?
Right at the top because I don’t think I’ve worked harder for any accolade than I have this one. When you record an album and it goes platinum … yeah, you’re in the studio and you work hard for months, but it’s not like your whole body hurts. Maybe you get a little hoarse and tired. But on Dancing With the Stars, everything hurts.

Settle the debate once and for all: Sequins or fringe?
Definitely sequins, Leave the fringe to the ladies. I’ll take the sequins.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/11/25/dwts-winner-interview-donny-osmond/

Offline msbuni

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #142 on: November 25, 2009, 08:02:31 AM »
Donny Osmond and Kym Johnson win 'Dancing with the Stars'

By Christopher Rocchio, 11/25/2009

Entertainer Donny Osmond and his partner Kym Johnson were crowned Dancing with the Stars' ninth-season ballroom champions during last night's live finale results show on ABC.

"Yeah!" yelled Osmond after host Tom Bergeron revealed he was the ninth-season celebrity winner based on the combination of the judges' score shares for the dancers' Monday and Tuesday night performances and the share of home viewer votes cast immediately after Monday night's broadcast.

Osmond's victory marks the first time in four seasons that a male has taken home the mirror ball trophy -- as Shawn Johnson won last spring's eighth season, Brooke Burke won last fall's seventh season and Kristi Yamaguchi won the Spring 2008 sixth season. Prior to that, a male had claimed four consecutive titles.
RELATED LINKS
SirLinksALot: Dancing with the Stars
Dancing with the Stars Message Boards
RealityTVWorld: Dancing with the Stars
RealityTVWorld: Dancing with the Stars 9
More Dancing with the Stars 9 News

Singer Mya and her professional partner Dmitry Chaplin -- -- who topped the judges' leaderboard for six of the competition's 10 weeks -- finished second.

"We are so happy to come this far," Mya said after Osmond was revealed as the winner. "I had a broken foot last year. I'm just so happy to have made it to the finals and it's all about teamwork and we enjoyed ourselves. We had the time of our life."

Former The Osbournes star Kelly Osbourne and her partner Louis van Amstel finished third.

"It's been the most beautiful, amazing experience," said Osbourne after the studio audience chanted "Kelly!" when her ouster was revealed.

"The only thing I really want to say in thank you America. Thank you so much for voting me in every week. It's because of you I've grown so much. It's because of you that I have this opportunity, so thank you from the bottom of my heart."

Osmond and Johnson had received a combined score of 85 out of 90 possible points for their three Monday night routines -- placing them in second behind Mya and Chaplin, who had scored an 87.  Osbourne and van Amstel had finished third with 76 points.

All three couples then performed their favorite ninth-season routine during last night's live finale -- with their scores contributing to their final combined judges score total but not being voted on by home viewers who had already voted based on Monday night's performances.

The final performances were scored using with the same format as Monday night's "megamix" round, with Osmond and Johnson placing first and scoring 30 points, followed by Mya and Chaplin in second with 28 points and Osbourne and van Amstel in third with 26 points.

Last night's victory represented the first for Johnson on the U.S. version of the show, as she won Australia's Dancing with the Stars second season in Spring 2005 with TV personality Tom Williams.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/donny-osmond-and-kym-johnson-win-dancing-with-stars-9988.php

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #143 on: November 25, 2009, 08:05:29 AM »
Congratulations to Donnie Osmond and to Kym Johnson. I did not want him to win, but I predicted he would. This talk that it was his Broadway routine (actually I think there was one for public voting on Monday and another for jsut judge voting last night) that won it for him is probably incorrect. I have no access to the tabulations, but I bet that the fans gave him a clear edge. With his 2 point margin over Mya last night, he evened up the judges scoring, so the net margin of victory had to be all public voting.