Author Topic: Big Band / Swing  (Read 3483 times)

Offline PapaBear

• RFF Frantic Poster
Big Band / Swing
« on: May 05, 2004, 09:18:34 AM »
OK, I was expecting another bad week (although it would be hard to top "Latin Night" for worst AI themes ever) but I was very pleasantly surprised.  I thought everyone had great night.

Best in my opinion was Latoya.  Worst was easily Jasmine.  I was a little shocked that the judges were hard on George - I thought his performances were great!  After he sang "What a Wonderful World" I thought that he could release that song as a single right now and sell a million copies.

So what do you think about what the judges said about Latoya and Fantasia being in their own league?  In one way I agree and in another I don't.  Those two by far have the strongest voices and the most control over how they sound.  On the other hand, just because their voices are strong doesn't mean you want to listen to them - of course if you have read any of my posts recently you know that I am talking about Fantasia here.  I thought the first song she did last night showcased exactly what I don't like about here.  The second song was better, but still nothing I would choose to listen to.

Although I don't think she is quite as strong as the others, I am usually pretty impressed with Diana.  It is hard to believe that she is only 16 - she is just so comfortable up there.

Here are my pics this week:
Best - Latoya, then
George,
Diana,
Fantasia,
and finally Jasmine.  I think she will be packing her bags tonight.

OK, now what do you think?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Big Band / Swing
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 11:11:41 AM »
Latoya was the only one that gave me goosebumps..George choose bad songs  :-\..as he seems to be doing everyweek?? I still love him though..such a stong voice.. :;>)
George/ safe ..the audience loves him
Fantasia / Safe
Jasmine/ Trouble
Diana/ to go tonight

Offline amikino

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 01:04:22 PM »
Fantasia's second song had me in tears, just as it did the judges.  It was just beautiful.  LaToya and Diana were very good; LaToya was exceptional.  I thought Diana did a great job.  George was not so good, even though I really like his voice and his style.  He has the greatest smile and attitude.  He picked bad songs and he has done that several times in a row.  Jasmine is clearly out of her league and should be the one to go tonight.  I think eventually it will be down to LaToya and Fantasia and it will be difficult to pick between the two.  They are both great singers with such range and emotion.

Offline Spooky

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 05:14:51 PM »
I thought LaToya and Diana were the best last night. I like George, but the last two themes have not been his best.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I just don't care for Fantasia at all. Neither one of her songs did anything for me last night.
"Cats work out mathematically the exact place to sit that will cause the most inconvenience."

Offline drumstyx47

• RFF Full Member
  • Emilio says: Go check out Survivor: Second Chance!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 07:50:44 PM »
I was actually pretty bored during Fantasia's songs... Diana's too...
Jasmine was by far the worst, though.
What are you talking 'bout George's song selection??? when I heard that it as swing week the first thing i said was that i hope george does a louis armstrong song... perfect...
Latoya ruled as usual...
my prediction:
Latoya & George are safe, Fantasia's lookin' good, but Diana & Jasmine are in trouble... the only hope for Jasmine is if enough people votee for her to spite cowell, but i hope that doesn't happen...
"I stick around until they start talking about gay stuff or Jesus stuff, then i just walk away" -Rudy, on Tagi's group discussions

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 08:09:20 PM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( Farewell George..I loved you.. :-*

Offline pittgirl

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 08:14:47 AM »
I don't know, I guess I am in disagreement with mostly everyone.  I just really like Jasmine and I do not like Fantasia.  I was so hoping that she was going to be the one.  I think Fantasia sounds like Macy Gray and I have never been a huge fan of hers. 

In the end I think that LaToya has outdone everyone each week by shining in every genre of music.  She should be the next AI.

Next week should be really good with Disco!

Offline PapaBear

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 08:36:42 AM »
I am really bummed about George.  He was someone that you really wanted to root for!  I actually like Jasmine and would rather her stay in the competition over Fantasia, but I think of those left Jasmine has the weakest voice.  George was just behind Latoya as my favorite.  I think that the only reason that Jasmine is still here is the fact that she pretty much has the state of Hawaii voting for her.