Author Topic: TAR 15 Speculation on Spoilers  (Read 244530 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 15 Speculation on Spoilers
« Reply #400 on: August 04, 2009, 02:23:40 PM »
i was just thinking:

this is TOTAL SPECULATION, btw

but, what if instead of a Mauritius leg, and instead of just staying in the U.A.E. for two legs, they went to a nearby Arabic country such as Qatar or Bahrain?

and what if they used other means to get there and back (such as a ferry)?

they could potentially get to one of those countries, complete a leg, and arrive back in the u.a.e. in time for steffiesunrise's sighting

the ferry scenario could also explain why she saw the team at a hotel and not at the airport (if said hotel was on the way to the airport)

haven't done too much research on this possibility, just a random thought that i thought could be worth sharing with the group... :duno:
The Gulf States as the site of the post-Dubai leg is a distinct possibility. However, I believe there was a sighting in Dubai on the morning of July 29. Teams would not have time after that to go to another Gulf State, do a leg and pit stop, and then get to Amsterdam by the morning of July 30.

i was thinking more between the sighting on the 27th and steffie's sighting on the 29th

they were no where to be seen for about a day and a half, which seems a little too tight to fit a whole extra country in there, so nvm...
Past trips by Amazing Race Asia 1 to Dubai have utilized Margham Desert Camp and Desert Area 53 for in-the-desert stops or tasks. AR5 went to Margham Dunes (presumably near Margham Desert Camp) and a pit stop was at a Desert oasis. It's possible for teams to be totally out of reach to the outside world wihle spending quality time in the Dubai desert.

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #401 on: August 04, 2009, 02:42:50 PM »
i was just thinking:

this is TOTAL SPECULATION, btw

but, what if instead of a Mauritius leg, and instead of just staying in the U.A.E. for two legs, they went to a nearby Arabic country such as Qatar or Bahrain?

and what if they used other means to get there and back (such as a ferry)?

they could potentially get to one of those countries, complete a leg, and arrive back in the u.a.e. in time for steffiesunrise's sighting

the ferry scenario could also explain why she saw the team at a hotel and not at the airport (if said hotel was on the way to the airport)

haven't done too much research on this possibility, just a random thought that i thought could be worth sharing with the group... :duno:
The Gulf States as the site of the post-Dubai leg is a distinct possibility. However, I believe there was a sighting in Dubai on the morning of July 29. Teams would not have time after that to go to another Gulf State, do a leg and pit stop, and then get to Amsterdam by the morning of July 30.

i was thinking more between the sighting on the 27th and steffie's sighting on the 29th

they were no where to be seen for about a day and a half, which seems a little too tight to fit a whole extra country in there, so nvm...

Flight time between Dubai and Doha is 40min. Dubai to Bahrain is about 1 hour.  Teams would have time to fly there like on the 28th, do tasks, and return to Dubai the next day and fly to Amsterdam, arriving on the 30th.  That would be more logical and it could occur, and for the ferry, there used to be a ferry between both countries.  We seen things like this, travel from one country back to the previous one and travel out there, TAR5 (Egypt-Kenya-Tanzania-Kenya) and TAR14 (Switzerland-Germany-Austria-Germany)

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: TAR 15 spoilers, sightings & locations *summary page 1*
« Reply #402 on: August 04, 2009, 02:55:50 PM »
5 teams left.

Petr will send the pic as soon as he can get to a PC, but he is busy just now.

:jumpy:

Wow!  So far 9 legs, 3 more to go then?
 :yess:  :duno:

Offline The Amazing Race

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #403 on: August 04, 2009, 03:01:57 PM »
5 teams left.
Ericka & Brian and who?

:duno:

Could you tell me where in each leg teams visit what country ? and which teams have been eliminated ?

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #404 on: August 04, 2009, 03:03:58 PM »
5 teams left.
Ericka & Brian and who?

Could you tell me where in each leg teams visit what country ? and which teams have been eliminated ?

There's a summary in page 1
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #405 on: August 04, 2009, 03:08:46 PM »
5 teams left.
Ericka & Brian and who?

1) Japan, 3) Vietnam, 4) Cambodia, 5) UAE, 7) Netherlands 8) Sweden 9) Estonia 10) Czech Rep
only Leg 2 is an unknown destination and Leg 6 possibly in Dubai but unsure yet until more info comes along.  And for teams I really don't know?

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #406 on: August 04, 2009, 03:10:01 PM »
Hate to break it to you guys but I've check and there is only 1 ferry per day from Stockholm to Tallinn. Maybe they were just playing poker in their rooms?? And If you look at the 2nd picture Maria is carrying a plastic bag with what looks like clothes??

after looking at the ferry schedules there seems to be one possibility:

they took off from Stockholm 2nd of august at 5 p.m. to Helsinki on Silja Serenade/Silja Symphony which arrived in Helsinki 3rd of August at 9:55 a.m.... from helsinki to tallinn there are several operators : Tallink/Viking Line/Linda Line... i would bet on Linda Line ship departing helsinki 10:00 and arriving in tallinn at 11:30, this again is an extremely tight connection although in ports usually it doesnt take long to change ships taken they arrive/depart in the same terminal, that is basically the only other option i can think of taken the news reporter of Postimees was accurate with stating the teams arrived around noon to Pikk street...  :colors

then again why would they take this ship in the first place is not logical at all as the ship to tallinn departed 45 mins after the one going to helsinki.

primefun,
Your thinking on what happened mirrors what I have already stated about the timing of the ferries Stockholm Helsinki and Helsinki Talinn to arrive at 1630 into Talinn's port (I discount your 5 mintue turnaround in Helsinki and assume that the Poker Players would have gotten the next one).

Howver, regardless of whether they got the 1000am or 230pm ferry to Talinn,  you run into the conclusion that they would have made a mistake by boarding that combination for 500pm departure to Helsinki when the Talinn ship left at 545pm. Three thoughts come to mind:
1. they made a mistake and got on the wrong ship
2. they were misinformed by ticketing agents when timing was tight and they had to make a decision
3. they were already eliminated and it did not matter when they arrived in Talinn as long as they got there in the afternoon

Take your pick.
I'd go for number 2
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #407 on: August 04, 2009, 03:45:41 PM »
5 teams left.
Ericka & Brian and who?

Both the main spoiler thread and the contestant spoiler  threads have a wonderful summary on page 1, thanks to puddin's hard work.

That would be the place to read and catch up around here so you can keep up with the fast moving happenings.

And :welcome: !!

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
RE: TAR15 Speculation on Spoilers
« Reply #408 on: August 04, 2009, 04:43:23 PM »

Flight time between Dubai and Doha is 40min. Dubai to Bahrain is about 1 hour.  Teams would have time to fly there like on the 28th, do tasks, and return to Dubai the next day and fly to Amsterdam, arriving on the 30th.  That would be more logical and it could occur, and for the ferry, there used to be a ferry between both countries.  We seen things like this, travel from one country back to the previous one and travel out there, TAR5 (Egypt-Kenya-Tanzania-Kenya) and TAR14 (Switzerland-Germany-Austria-Germany)
OK, so let's take a look at the maximum time frame for a visit to another Gulf State. It is highly unlikely that after arriving at a restaurant in Dubai teams reached the pit stop immediately afterward. That means that they likely did not start a pit stop before 9am July 28 and have been released around 9pm July 28. Then they would be free to get to Doha or Bahrain. Let's look at the flights possiblities that night:

to Doha - DXB DOH QR157 2315 2359  or  IC998 0005 0050  or  GF518 0140 0230

to Bahrain - DXB BAH GF565 2215 2230  or  GF509 2340 2355  or  EK835 0230 0245

So teams can get to either place from Dubai without huge delays. Let's assume that they could finish tasks and start a pit stop by 9am July 29. That would mean a 9pm July 28 release from the pit stop. They could then fly back to DXB on July 30 from:

Doha QR102 0035 0240  or  QR104 0220 0425  or  EK849 0345 0545 
Bahrain GF520 0130 0400  or EK836 0320 0500

In either case, there is ample time on July 30 for connection in Dubai International Airport to Amsetrdam on nonstop KL430 0710 1210.

However, this chain of potential reasoning gets a kick in the butt by the sighting of teams by Steffi Sunrise at a Dubai hotel on the morning of July 29. How could that happen if teams have to be in Doha or Bahrain at that time? Obviously, it couldn't. If you believe that sighting (I do) and in the law of physics that says individuals cannot be in two different places at the same time (I do), then the inescapable conclusion is that a leg in Doha or Bahrain could not have happened in the necessary time frame.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #409 on: August 04, 2009, 04:48:29 PM »
I've stumbled on some info that there may be a kayaking task in the Prague area tomorrow.  Don't want to be too specific because I  :hearts: TAR and don't want to mess up our race!

SPEC: Could that be in Cesky Krumlov?
The story so far:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #410 on: August 04, 2009, 05:03:40 PM »
I've stumbled on some info that there may be a kayaking task in the Prague area tomorrow.  Don't want to be too specific because I  :hearts: TAR and don't want to mess up our race!

If you think its "spec" then why did post it in spoilers? My moving posts around fingers are getting worn out.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #411 on: August 04, 2009, 05:12:53 PM »

If you think its "spec" then why did post it in spoilers? My moving posts around fingers are getting worn out.
sorry, my bad
The story so far:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #412 on: August 04, 2009, 05:23:54 PM »
Let's imagine that the Prague leg is the penultimate one (next to last for those unfamiliar with that term). Then the final leg would be flights starting in Prague and continuing to the U.S.  I decided that it is useful to see which cities have nonstop service form Prague. Unfortunately, the answer is only JFK and ATL. Here are the flights for Friday Aug. 7:

PRG JFK DL209/OK5054 0930 1230 (but not Thursday or Saturday)

PRG JFK OK050/DL8742 1100 1415 (and Thursday or Saturday; note - some versions have both times 5 minutes later)

PRG ATL none, although on Thursday and Saturday DL063/OK5088  1100 1535

Now, I do not expect a 11 leg race, so I believe the final leg will be no earlier than Sat. Aug. 8.

This lists only the nonstop flights. They are many possibilities for connections in Europe and both JFK and ATL can provide connections to all the major cities in the U.S. However, it is interesting to note the eqrliest possible arrivla time is 1230pm into JFK. Traditionally Amazing Race finales land early morning for minimum sighting potential.

NOTE - changes have been made to DL209 to reflect that Delta Airlines does not think it flies on thursday or Saturday. That's a reasonably authoritative source, one much more likely that my source to know what their international flights are.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 10:49:34 PM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #413 on: August 04, 2009, 05:44:12 PM »
Let's imagine that the Prague leg is the penultimate one (next to last for those unfamiliar with that term). Then the final leg would be flights starting in Prague and continuing to the U.S.  I decided that it is useful to see which cities have nonstop service form Prague. Unfortunately, the answer is only JFK and ATL. Here are the flights for Friday Aug. 7:

PRG JFK DL209/OK5054 0930 1230 (and Thursday or Saturday)

PRG JFK OK050/DL8742 1100 1415 (and Thursday or Saturday; note - some versions have both times 5 minutes later)

PRG ATL none, although on Thursday and Saturday DL063/OK5088  1100 1535

Now, I do not expect a 11 leg race, so I believe the final leg will be no earlier than Sat. Aug. 8.

This lists only the nonstop flights. They are many possibilities for connections in Europe and both JFK and ATL can provide connections to all the major cities in the U.S. However, it is interesting to note the eqrliest possible arrivla time is 1230pm into JFK. Traditionally Amazing Race finales land early morning for minimum sighting potential.

I would die of joy if it was Atlanta.

But Apskip, puddin told you the race ends Aug 6, or less possibly 7. Believe it.

We need flights on the 6th!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #414 on: August 04, 2009, 05:48:05 PM »
And I would die of joy if it ended in Philadelphia. I'm actually shocked they haven't yet.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #415 on: August 04, 2009, 07:27:49 PM »
And I would die of joy if it ended in Philadelphia. I'm actually shocked they haven't yet.

I'd love for the Race to end in Philadelphia!  I live near there!

Belle Book

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #416 on: August 04, 2009, 07:28:52 PM »
haha awesome!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #417 on: August 04, 2009, 07:51:25 PM »
That makes 3 of us  :waves: :hfive:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #418 on: August 04, 2009, 08:00:02 PM »
Okay, Peach, as much as I would love to have the race end in your city I have to show (shamelessly borrowing some of Apskip's info) that there is an interesting flight combination that would make for an awesome race to New York City.

For Thursday August 6th

here is your flight to Atlanta:
DL 63 leaving Prague at 11:00am and arriving ATL at 3:35 pm

But!  Instead, consider these flights to New York:

Czech Airlines OK 50 leaving Prague at 11:00 am and arriving JFK at 2:15 pm

And that is the loser flight.  The winners will manage to put this together:

Lufthansa LH 3267 leaving Prague at 6:00 am and arriving in Frankfurt FRA at 7:10 am.
 then
Air India AI 191 leaving Frankfurt at 8:05 am and arriving in Newark NJ EWR at 10:25 am.

I'm not saying it has to be this way but I like it!   :jam:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 11:19:04 PM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #419 on: August 04, 2009, 08:06:34 PM »
Could a Washington DC finish line be plausible?  :lol:
Account is awaiting approval for deletion (approved)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #420 on: August 04, 2009, 08:08:54 PM »
There were some early rumors about NYC as a possible location....

Now...can we have some magic to figure out WHERE? :funny:

I can go...can you?  ???  :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #421 on: August 04, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »

Not a good idea for Washington this time of year.  Hot and Humid Wednesday will be about 89F with thunderstorms in the afternoon.  Besides the city is chuck full of tourists with cell phone cameras this time of year.

I would go camp out at Dulles (15 minutes away) but tomorrow is chemotherapy day for me so I'm not going to be able to do much of anything.  I like the idea of Atlanta though, at least it would be a new ending city, right Peach?

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #422 on: August 04, 2009, 08:13:07 PM »

if u come to nyc im coming with

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #423 on: August 04, 2009, 08:16:36 PM »

Not a good idea for Washington this time of year.  Hot and Humid Wednesday will be about 89F with thunderstorms in the afternoon.  Besides the city is chuck full of tourists with cell phone cameras this time of year.

I would go camp out at Dulles (15 minutes away) but tomorrow is chemotherapy day for me so I'm not going to be able to do much of anything.  I like the idea of Atlanta though, at least it would be a new ending city, right Peach?

I actually love the idea of Atlanta as a START location, there are several places that would be secluded but gorgeous, especially for a spring race.

I can go...can you?  ???  :lol3:

if u come to nyc im coming with

I would count on it!! :yess:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #424 on: August 04, 2009, 08:22:12 PM »

I won't be surprised if we see them make a final leg similar to TAR8's, Canada - New York, could this be possible again?
Account is awaiting approval for deletion (approved)