Author Topic: America's Got Talent Season 4  (Read 26080 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: America's Got Talent Season 4
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 05:09:02 PM »
Performance Show Quarterfinals 8/19 + Results Show

Another week, another 5 teams out of 12 to get advanced ot the semifinals.

Here they are:
Lawrence Beamen
Mario and Jenny
Jeffrey Ou (how did this happen?; it's another travesty of justice as the fans left Pixie Mystere in the #6 position while the less talented Jeffrey made it)
Hairo Torres ( another travesty, as the vote for Hairo effectively displaced Marcus Terrell and teh Serenades
Footworkingz, who won the judges-decided runoff against Pixie Mystere for #5

This group will be performing in the semifinals on Sept. 8.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 05:17:09 PM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 05:32:30 PM »
Performance Show Quarterfinals 8/26 + Results Show

Barbara Padilla and the Eriam Sisters were the non-controversial outcomes. The excellent Ishaara, the best act in this bracket, was shafted by being voted by the American public into a slot no higher than 7th. This is another travesty of justice. Is America prejudiced against Indian-Americans? How about prejudiced against Bollywood dance movies? The act that took their spot was effectively Drew Stevyns, a journeyman singer who did well but not well enough in my judgment to warrant reaching the semifinals.  Recycled Percussion, a decent but not outstanding act, made it in one of the top 4 slots. The battle for #5 between Erik and Rickey and Mia Boostrom was close, but Erik and Rickey are going to the semifinals.

The semifinal performances for this bracket will be against those of the third quarterfinal on 8/8.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2009, 08:43:09 PM »
Thanks for the information apskip. I'll have to remember to watch the semi-finals and finals. My other shows are all ending soon.  :tup:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2009, 08:59:06 PM »
Another week of watching the American public voting for AGT4 finalists make a major mistake! I am tired of the best acts who are not singers or dancers get shafted. I will report how this happened. The entertainment was by the Muppets and by the Hoff himself. He actually has a nice voice and can sort of dance. I was surprised, as my visions of his performances in Germany are based on folklore which has been unkind to him (or maybe is due to role on Baywatch). This guy is the same age as the oldest of my sisters! His only other role, along with Piers and Sharon, was to make the decision for #4 vs. #5. Let's see how well they do on that.

The first pairing was Texas Tenors vs. Drew Thomas Magic vs. Arcadian Broad. That provided a foregone conclusion as the Texas Tenors had one of the two best performances on Tuesday night and Drew Thomas had messed up by changing his act totally to incorporate his daughter.

The second pairing was Grandma Lee vs. Paradizo Dance vs. Tony Hoard and Rory. This was another foregone conclusion as Grandma Lee had done OK, Paradizo Dance had changed their act totally with negative results and Tony Hoard and Rory had gotten redemption from their marginal quarterfinal performance but their semifinal performance was not good enough to move on.

The third pairing was the remaining 4 teams. Nick Cannon announced first which team was going home. The best act in my judgment, AcroDunk, was going home. What a travesty! America got this wrong! It was announced that Kevin Skinner with his sub-par performance of singing flat was going to the finals. Now he is a nice guy, but America is sure is a sucker for a hard-luck story.

The final pairing was supposed to be a judges' decision for the 4th and final spot. What viewers saw was a well-orchestrated(by the producers I am guessing; one of them is Simon Cowell) charade in which Sharon, David and Piers all said they couldn't decide so they were sending both the Fab 5 (who gave an OK but not the required great performance it should take to be in the finals) and Voices of Glory (who I thought had performed well enough to deserve it) to the finals.

So the first 5 finalists are Texas Tenors, Grandma Lee, Kevin Skinner, Voices of Glory and Fab 5. I think the Voices of glory are the only ones with sufficient talent to provide any chance at all of winning AGT4. I think the winner will be coming eventually from the other semifinal bracket, which will be performing next Tuesday, and her name is Barbara Padilla or his name is Lawrence Beamen. Those two have been the best singers throughout this competition and since the 4 best remaining acts (add Texas Tenors to Voices of Glory, Barbara Padilla and Lawrence Beamen) are all singers I think it is safe to say that a singer or singing ensemble will win AGT4.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009, 10:23:28 PM »
The first pairing was Hairo Torres and Footworkingz, with Hairo going to the finals and Footwaorkingz going home.

The second pairing was Erik and Rickey and Jeffrey Ou. They both got sent home.

The third pairing wasMario and Jenny and Recycled Percussion. Recycled Percussion is in the finals and Mario and Jenny are going home.

The final group was the remaining 4 acts competing for 3 spots. Barbara Padilla and Lawrence Beamen were no-brainers to advance. The last spot went to Drew Stevyns. The Eriam Sisters were eliminated.

So, here is my list of the top 3 finalists in my ordering of talent:
Barbara Padilla
Lawrence Beamen
Texas Tenors

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2009, 10:24:54 PM »
The AGT4 finals performance round will be tomorrow (Monday) night at 8pm. The results show will be Wednesday 8pm.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 10:13:04 PM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2009, 10:14:14 PM »
The AGT4 finals performances are history. I will write about them tomorrow. However, it is important to note that the finals results show is at 8pm Wednesday as announced tonight by Nick Cannon.

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2009, 08:18:23 PM »
Great recaps, I need to start watching this again!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2009, 09:36:18 PM »
Thanks Snooky. If you are interestd, bet to www.nbc.com for full recaps of America's Got Talent 4 ASAP. They only have the last 4 weeks and they delete a week's worth each week. That means you can only see the finals performance show, the 2 semifinals and one quarterfinal unless NBC has changed their policy.

The only remaining live show is the finals results show tomorrow night from 8pm until probably 10pm.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 08:59:50 AM »
As promised, here is my take on the 10 acts who performed in the AGT4 finals in this order:

1. Voices of Glory - very good but not great
2. Hairo Torres - forget him, too much of the same routines have worn thin
3. Lawrence Beamen - went over to a Barry White style performrance, which was fine except that he doesn't yet have the polish of a Barry White
4. Barbara Padilla - simply the best performance of the night and the entire compeititon
5. Fab 5 - another very bad case of same old, same old, they failed to do anything they had not presented many times before
6. Texas Tenors - they did very well after a shaky start with solos
7. Drew Stevyns -  a creditable job, but who cares?
8. Grandma Lee - totally lame until the very end when she unveiled her new romantic interest - Simon Cowell
 replacing Piers Morgan; that brought down the house but it was too late for the rest of her act
9. Kevin Skinner - the flatness of many notes was astonishing; he deserves a low finish based on his TALENT or lack thereof; the judges think having just charisma is OK(it may work for Sharon's husband Ozzy but not in general); they are misinformed
10. Recycled Percussion - they gave an inspired, high energy performance and moved up in my rating

So, where does that leave me in evaluating the order of finish, you should ask even if NBC fails to provide this on TV?

First place goes to Barbara Padilla
2nd - Reccycled Percussion
3rd - Texas Tenors
4th  - Lawrence Beamen
5th - Voices of Glory
6th - Drew Stevyns
7th - Grandma Lee
8th - Kevin Skinner
9th - Fab 5
10th Hairo Torres

We will see in about 12 hours how the American public voted.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 10:08:30 PM »
I thought Kevin Skinner was a diamond in the rough the first time I heard him. He may or may not last.

Barbara Padilla will have a wonderful career, it's just beginning for her.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 10:27:09 AM by TexasLady »
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 10:27:08 PM »
I will have a recap of tonight's action ready tomorrow. I can say that the outstanding performance on either the finals performance show Monday or tonight was by Cirque de Soleil. Susan Boyle sang quite well, but it mostly too low in her register for her to have a hit song.

Offline BamBam

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2009, 01:04:28 AM »
Have to say I was disappointed in the top 5 and didn't even care for the winner.   :'(

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2009, 07:35:10 AM »
Disappointed is rather mild compared to how I feel about this. America apparently likes pizzazz and emotion and singing frequeently flat (read Kevin Skinner) rather than real singing talent (Barbara Padilla). I really hate that!

The finals went off about as I expected except for Kevin Skinner. I had predicted the placement as Barbara Padilla #1, Recycled Percussion #2, Texas Tenors #3, Lawrence Beamen #4 and Voices of Glory #5. Their actual finish was Kevin Skinner #1, Barbara Padilla #2, Recycled Percussion #3, Texas Tenors #4, and Voices of Glory #5.