Archive > The Amazing Race 14

Cara & Jamie TAR 14 -- Second place

<< < (2/10) > >>

puddin:
Trials and Tribulations of the Runner-ups
by Julie Woo  May 11, 2009 02:23 PM EST

Jaime, are you done beating yourself up for that last Roadblock?

Jaime: I don’t think I’ll ever stop beating myself up for forgetting Jesus.

Cara: It was not Jaime’s fault.

Jaime: I’ll always wonder if we’d had better luck with the taxi not stopping for gas, not taking us to a surf shop—if we’d had all that time, about 45 minutes, if it’d be a different outcome.

Cara: For Jaime to do as well as she did, to make up as much of the 45 minutes as quickly as she did, there’s absolutely no reason she should be beating herself up. She did awesome.

That’s true. They didn’t show your progress and then all of a sudden, you were almost done.

Cara: I know. They were really focusing on poor Luke’s struggle and on Victor, and Jaime disappeared for a while. She was working hard obviously. She got all those boards all of a sudden when it looked like she was still working on the first one.

Why did you have such bad luck with cab drivers?

Jaime: There’s no reason. It’s just bad luck and that’s why you could see my frustration build over each leg of the Race, because it was literally from the very first leg. Every time we had to put our fate in someone else’s hands, it never went our way.

Why do you think an all-female team hasn’t won yet, after 14 seasons?

Cara: I think a lot of the Race is based on luck. I think one of the reasons we were successful was that we never saw ourselves as “just girls.” If previous teams did that, I think they hindered themselves. We gave it our all every time and were proud of ourselves after tasks that were particularly physical. So much is based on luck though.

When you had to carry the 145-pound pig, would you and Tammy have been able to get the pole on your shoulders like Margie did?

Jaime: We actually tried. They didn’t show it. But we knew the proper way to do that task was the way Margie and Luke did it. Victor and Tammy didn’t try to put it on their shoulders that I saw. But Cara and I made an attempt. It was so heavy it was impossible with our upper-body strength. We couldn’t get it past our waists.

Cara: And we crouched as low as we could in that sand trying to get that pig on our shoulders, but we couldn’t. Jaime is much stronger than I am and I have these abnormally small hands…I literally couldn’t get my hands around the pole. We got in the cab afterwards and Jaime was like, “Oh, my God, I forgot you had carnie hands.” My hands were so small, I was holding on with my fingertips which were oiled, so it kept slipping out of my fingers. It was very difficult.

What made you want to go on the show?

Cara: That was all Jaime. Jaime’s been a huge fan since the very first season. I woke up one morning to a text message at seven in the morning saying, “Hey, do you want to go on the Amazing Race with me? You’re the other most competitive girl I know. We could win.” To which I replied, “Sure. What is it?” I had never watched it, but I am so glad I came to mind as the person she’d want to run it with because it truly was an adventure of a lifetime.

Was that the bond you had with Luke, because I hear he is a very avid fan?

Cara: I think we had several bonds with Luke and Margie. They are really amazing. We have family and friends who are part of the deaf community or otherwise handicapped community, who truly are handicapped because they don’t have a mother like Margie who pushed her son to be as developed as he is, and I think that it’s amazing to be in the presence of someone who gave everything to her son. We have amazing mothers as well, so we could relate to that relationship. He did have an amazing catalog of memories though, from like, 20 seasons ago.

Are you reading blogs and commentary about yourselves?

Jaime: Even though I was an Amazing Race fan from the beginning, I actually did not realize that there were—I’m not so much a computer person. If I have downtime, I’m reading. Luke is actually the one who told us on the Race about these chat rooms and blogs. When we first came back, out of curiosity, we looked, but a lot of it was not so much Race-focused but personal attacks on not just us but everyone. It’s not something I can take seriously or to heart because it seems petty or catty.

Cara: I think I called Jaime after I read, “I can’t tell the difference between these two.” And someone said. “Cara’s the one with manlike features.” We had a good laugh but haven’t looked since.

Jaime, you’re obviously very competitive and type-A, but do you feel bad about being depicted as an “Ugly American” in foreign countries?

Jaime: I’d say that I am very intense and focused. I definitely have tunnel vision. During the Race, I never lost focus of the fact that we were running a race and my first priority was getting from point A to point B the fastest way we could do that. And I’m a very straightforward person. And I have a tone so when I say something, my tone sounds different than—

Cara: The way she thinks she’s saying something—like, “All I said was, ‘Do you speak English?’” Like if the answer is yes, maybe he could help us, but the way Jaime says it [it sounds harsh]. And she thinks she’s saying it in a really nice way and will ask “Cara, what did I do?”

Jaime: It’s just my tone. My whole life I’ve talked this way and I’ve heard that before. But it’s definitely not my intention. But I watch every show and yes, I think we’re made to be characters that they want us to be and after every leg, I always apologized to my taxi driver or someone who may be helping us.

Cara: Even in Romania, when she had yelled at him for driving on the sidewalk like you saw, she was so overwhelmed with how much she had really been screaming at the man, Jaime went hysterical—crying, hugging this man, apologizing. It’s the way it works—that you don’t see every second.

I’ve gotten a lot of messages about why I didn’t try to step in. But you don’t have to step in when someone realizes and apologizes. So, we would try with me communicating. Often times, when you saw Jaime, it wasn’t the first time she was asking where we were going. It was after we had been lost twice. I’ve traveled with Jaime for fun and let me assure you, she doesn’t yell at people when it’s on our time with no million-dollar prize hanging over our heads.

Jaime: I understood that that was my role. And I had a feeling going on the show that I would have to give up certain things to live out my dream and my dream was to go on The Amazing Race. I was OK with the tradeoff.

http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/the-amazing-race/trials-and-tribulations-of-the-runner-ups-1043.html

apskip:
I appreciate that it took Jaime/Cara 45 minutes to get from McGregor Point off the middle of the west coast of Maui going almost directly north for about 10 miles to a point near Mile Marker 16 of the Hana Highway (that's what I believe they are saying without being pinned down by the questioners). However, I can guess that it took 30 minutes for Margie/Luke and tammy/Victor to do the same stretch more efficiently. I think their net disadvantage from the taxi driver was about 15 minutes vs. Tammy/Victor and more vs. Margie/Luke. That relatively small amount did prove to be critical.

Snooky:
I wish they would make it more suspenseful!  It seemed rediculous that Tammy and Victor automatically won.  I always love a little suspense!  I guess CBS has just decided that it is obvious who will win...

puddin:

--- Quote from: apskip on May 12, 2009, 05:42:58 PM ---I appreciate that it took Jaime/Cara 45 minutes to get from McGregor Point off the middle of the west coast of Maui going almost directly north for about 10 miles to a point near Mile Marker 16 of the Hana Highway (that's what I believe they are saying without being pinned down by the questioners). However, I can guess that it took 30 minutes for Margie/Luke and tammy/Victor to do the same stretch more efficiently. I think their net disadvantage from the taxi driver was about 15 minutes vs. Tammy/Victor and more vs. Margie/Luke. That relatively small amount did prove to be critical.

--- End quote ---
My Hawaiian friend is convinced that Producers manipulate the cabs, that they rig at least one designated cab to be low on gas and that Maui is so small and everyone knows everyone else so there is No way the drivers did not know where they were supposed to be going or where the filming was. And also brings up the point that Cara and Jamie's driver was foreign, not a local boy. Was he hired by production or no? .. we'll never know.

TARAsia Fan:

--- Quote from: puddin on May 12, 2009, 05:32:44 PM ---I love them too and they were very entertaining and I think CBS would be crazy not to give them their own show  :lol:
--- End quote ---
Have Jaime yell at taxi drivers who don't drive the right way. :lol:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version