Author Topic: Margie & Luke Adams - 3rd Place *Come in and say Hello to Luke!*  (Read 77327 times)

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
Re: Margie & Luke Adams - 3rd Place *Come in and say Hello to Luke!*
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2009, 11:48:01 PM »
Hi Luke, I have a question regarding "That cluebox incident"

Does this picture (albeit in bad quality) look anything like the sign for "bitch"

Jen seems to be making a pretty clear hand gesture, and I wanted to know if it meant anything.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2009, 12:03:52 AM »
The video and frame-by-frame are in this album, if that helps any.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2009, 08:13:37 AM »
Haha, Im not sure if I should post on here or not since some people weren't happy with me about the fight between Jen + me and the blind u-turn. Since I u-turned Kris right before the underwear roadblock, I talked to Kris about underwear roadblock - he said Amanda would have done that roadblock just to even the numbers of roadblock performance between Kris and Amanda. So y'all won't get to see Kris in his underwear so you guys can't hold that against me for u-turn Kris!  :neener:

But, I'm glad that I'm posting with you guys!
I'll admit I wasn't happy over the blind U-Turn, but it's part of the game and you did what you had to do to stay. It's a race, not a lovefest. Plus, you went farther than 8 other teams so no one can take that away from you.

And the fight is in the past. It made for good television and it gave us something to talk about here.  ;D ;D

The fact that you're posting here shows you're a classy person. I like that you're here. :tup: :tup:

I do have a question. In Russia when you were trying to spell "Chekhov", there's a conspiracy theory running on another board (not here) that you got help to spell it out. Can you dispel this once and for all that you did it on your own?
Just here to visit.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2009, 08:53:49 AM »
I do have a question. In Russia when you were trying to spell "Chekhov", there's a conspiracy theory running on another board (not here) that you got help to spell it out. Can you dispel this once and for all that you did it on your own?

Funny. I've never heard of this conspiracy theory. :lol: But seriously, this just can't be true.
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2009, 02:21:14 PM »
Hi Luke, I have a question regarding "That cluebox incident"

Does this picture (albeit in bad quality) look anything like the sign for "bitch"

Jen seems to be making a pretty clear hand gesture, and I wanted to know if it meant anything.

Haha, yeah, she tried to sign "bitch" but she was doing it wrong. It's kind of funny was that my team and other four teams were lounging around in Phuket airport, waiting for the ticket counter to open, Jen asked me to see what is sign for "bitch". I showed her how to sign for "bitch". No idea why she wanted to know.

Funny. I've never heard of this conspiracy theory. :lol: But seriously, this just can't be true.

I haven't read anything like that on the Internet about me getting help with spelling Chekhov. But, no, I didn't get any help for spelling Chekhov. I did it all on my own. Writing down on paper helped me out a lot so that way I know which words was wrong so I can re-arrange it around without repeat same words again. I never had any special treatment on the entire race. I am really proud of myself that I did really well on the race as being a first deaf person to appear on the Amazing Race. It was kind of funny that my team was never been in danger of being eliminated till the finale episode, we fell down to the last place.

NoluckBoston

« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2009, 06:29:33 PM »

I haven't read anything like that on the Internet about me getting help with spelling Chekhov. But, no, I didn't get any help for spelling Chekhov. I did it all on my own. Writing down on paper helped me out a lot so that way I know which words was wrong so I can re-arrange it around without repeat same words again. I never had any special treatment on the entire race. I am really proud of myself that I did really well on the race as being a first deaf person to appear on the American version of the Amazing Race. It was kind of funny that my team was never been in danger of being eliminated till the finale episode, we fell down to the last place.

Just helping you out there.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2009, 10:41:38 PM »
Haha, yeah, she tried to sign "bitch" but she was doing it wrong. It's kind of funny was that my team and other four teams were lounging around in Phuket airport, waiting for the ticket counter to open, Jen asked me to see what is sign for "bitch". I showed her how to sign for "bitch". No idea why she wanted to know.

She was curious, maybe? If I were her, I'd probably be curious too. :lol:

I haven't read anything like that on the Internet about me getting help with spelling Chekhov. But, no, I didn't get any help for spelling Chekhov. I did it all on my own. Writing down on paper helped me out a lot so that way I know which words was wrong so I can re-arrange it around without repeat same words again. I never had any special treatment on the entire race. I am really proud of myself that I did really well on the race as being a first deaf person to appear on the American version of the Amazing Race. It was kind of funny that my team was never been in danger of being eliminated till the finale episode, we fell down to the last place.

Just helping you out there.

Weird thing is, the second Asian edition also featured a deaf team & a team that was not in danger of finishing last until the finale. :lol:

ETA: Thanks apskip. :D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 06:50:21 AM by Raymond »
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2009, 06:32:26 AM »
Raymond,

Your terminology needs revision. Any team in the final three is never eliminated. Team that don't win just place 2nd or 3rd even if they do not reach the finish line. To claim that "the second Asian edition also featured a deaf team & a team that was not in danger of elimination until the finale" is incorrect. I assume you are talking about Marc/Rovilson who finished 3rd but were not eliminated because they couldn't be. Luke's statement that he and Margie were not in danger of beling eliminated until the final episode is similarly incorrect.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2009, 06:53:12 AM »
Raymond,

Your terminology needs revision. Any team in the final three is never eliminated. Team that don't win just place 2nd or 3rd even if they do not reach the finish line. To claim that "the second Asian edition also featured a deaf team & a team that was not in danger of elimination until the finale" is incorrect. I assume you are talking about Marc/Rovilson who finished 3rd but were not eliminated because they couldn't be. Luke's statement that he and Margie were not in danger of beling eliminated until the final episode is similarly incorrect.

Oops. Right. :lol:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2009, 07:54:47 AM »
I never had any special treatment on the entire race. I am really proud of myself that I did really well on the race as being a first deaf person to appear on the Amazing Race. It was kind of funny that my team was never been in danger of being eliminated till the finale episode, we fell down to the last place.

About the special treatment, we saw that at the paragliding roadblock, hte racer had to be able to hear in order to take part in it, so my question is: where there any other Roadblocks you were (indirectly) told you could not do?
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2009, 08:01:11 AM »
I never had any special treatment on the entire race. I am really proud of myself that I did really well on the race as being a first deaf person to appear on the Amazing Race. It was kind of funny that my team was never been in danger of being eliminated till the finale episode, we fell down to the last place.
It was on another message board. People think they know, but they don't know and I'm glad you wrote this. They assume things and they feel they have the answer for everything.
Just here to visit.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2009, 12:17:36 PM »
I have no questions and just wanna thank Luke for being so kind to all of us TAR fans who have so many questions for him and he never fails to answer any single one of them! Thanks for keeping us with something to do even when there's no TAR! It has been fun watching you and your mom racing!

:hearts:

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2009, 10:12:37 PM »

About the special treatment, we saw that at the paragliding roadblock, hte racer had to be able to hear in order to take part in it, so my question is: where there any other Roadblocks you were (indirectly) told you could not do?

I'm back!!!

That's a good question. Originally, my Mom and I agreed that I would do paragliding roadblock since she isn't a fan of heights. Soon as we read more information, it mentioned that it required that person who perform the roadblock to be able to hear his/her instructor for the instruction of how to landing - just for the safety reason. We were left with no option so Mom had to do that roadblock. Probably a good thing that she did it since she's an excellent runner and she rocked the run down the mountain! That was only one time happened on the whole race that concerned the safety of being able to hear.

Since we're on that topic, if we were given a special treatment then there wouldn't be any musical/dancing tasks on the race and I would be able to sit front in car to communicate with my Mom while driving instead of me sitting behind her. But, it didn't happened. We were treated like as other racers. I thought it's kind of funny that my Mom and I had to drive ourselves in Siberia's Leg 5 and we still managed to win that leg. The driving part wasn't easy for both of us but we overcame it. At the start line where we had to drive ourselves to LAX, I told my Mom that we should follow Tammy and Victor to the airport since I thought Victor might be from LA and it paid off for us since we had no idea how to get to LAX! I wish they showed the driving part from the start line to LAX - it would be fun for viewers. A lot of funny stuff happened.

Now, I have a question for y'all. I think I read someone's post that there was a direct flight from Novosibirsk to Jaiuper or New Delhi once a week? That would have been much easier than going through Moscow!

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2009, 01:48:18 AM »
Now, I have a question for y'all. I think I read someone's post that there was a direct flight from Novosibirsk to Jaiuper or New Delhi once a week? That would have been much easier than going through Moscow!

Heh, short answer? No. :lol: Wikipedia (and we all know how reliable it is) said there was a plane to Delhi, but checking the schedules the flight certainly didn't apply to the week of racing.

If it was TAR1-style no-rules get-there-as-fast-as-you-can racing though, you could have probably made:
Depart Pit Stop at 12.18am
S7863 to Beijing: 0150-0750
CZ3162 to Guangzhou: 1015-1310
CZ359 to Delhi: 1730-2055

Judging by the timings, it'd probably have put the top three teams the previous leg way ahead of the others. And who were they?
You guys, Tammy/Victor, and Jaime/Cara.

We know the producers forced you guys through Moscow though!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 07:08:55 AM by Neobie »

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2009, 03:13:39 PM »
Hello, Luke.

On the twop Tarcon 14 recap, it says that your Mom said that the show was "the worst thing ever" the first time that she watched it. 

Which episode was her first?  What changed her mind about the show?

Thanks.

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2009, 03:12:40 AM »

Heh, short answer? No. :lol: Wikipedia (and we all know how reliable it is) said there was a plane to Delhi, but checking the schedules the flight certainly didn't apply to the week of racing.

If it was TAR1-style no-rules get-there-as-fast-as-you-can racing though, you could have probably made:
Depart Pit Stop at 12.18am
S7863 to Beijing: 0150-0750
CZ3162 to Guangzhou: 1015-1310
CZ359 to Delhi: 1730-2055

Judging by the timings, it'd probably have put the top three teams the previous leg way ahead of the others. And who were they?
You guys, Tammy/Victor, and Jaime/Cara.

We know the producers forced you guys through Moscow though!

Moscow Airport SUCKS a big time! Cara + Jaime and my Mom + I were only ones that gotten on a flight directly into Moscow from Novosibirsk while rest of other teams had to take a flight to an airport that is an hour away outside of Moscow. Cara and Jaime + my mom and I tried to find an earliest flight we could to India and the earliest one was in the afternoon so it gave other teams a lot of time to catch up. From what I heard, it was so stressful for other teams to get into Moscow. I think Tammy + Victor and Mike + Mel took a subway while other teams took a cab. They all almost didn't made it on the first flight out to India - it was a close call for them but it would have been good for Cara + Jaime and my Mom and me to have some lead!

Hello, Luke.

On the twop Tarcon 14 recap, it says that your Mom said that the show was "the worst thing ever" the first time that she watched it. 

Thanks.

Haha, that's a good question. I don't know which was the first episode that she saw though. Probably the one from Season 1 or Season 2 when I tried to get her to watch the show with me when I was in high school. She probably thinks it was "the worst thing ever" because I couldn't stop talking about Amazing Race when I was in high school and I would just hogged t.v. in living room when Amazing Race was on that got her mad, haha. I remember one day that my Mom emailed me and said that she was really amazed and blew away when Joyce had her hair shaved off in India on Season 7 - maybe that's when it changed her mind about the show. Now, she's a big fan of the show! :-)   

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2009, 07:23:40 PM »
Hello, Luke.

Thanks.

Haha, that's a good question. I don't know which was the first episode that she saw though. Probably the one from Season 1 or Season 2 when I tried to get her to watch the show with me when I was in high school. She probably thinks it was "the worst thing ever" because I couldn't stop talking about Amazing Race when I was in high school and I would just hogged t.v. in living room when Amazing Race was on that got her mad, haha. I remember one day that my Mom emailed me and said that she was really amazed and blew away when Joyce had her hair shaved off in India on Season 7 - maybe that's when it changed her mind about the show. Now, she's a big fan of the show! :-)   

Seeing Joyce agree to have her hair shaved off -- and seeing Uchenna's support of her while she was having it shaved off -- impressed me as well!  I remember how Brandon & Nicole bailed out on the Fast-Forward in Season 5 when it was the same thing, so I knew that Joyce was very committed to the Race in order to do something like that!

Belle Book

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2009, 05:44:31 AM »
From what I heard, it was so stressful for other teams to get into Moscow. I think Tammy + Victor and Mike + Mel took a subway while other teams took a cab. They all almost didn't made it on the first flight out to India - it was a close call for them but it would have been good for Cara + Jaime and my Mom and me to have some lead!
Hi Luke,

Yes, Tammy, Victor and Mel have talked about this experience about running from the Moscow Domestic Airport to the International Airport and just barely making the flight. I wish the producers would have shown this.

And it's great that you converted your mom as a fan. :tup:
Just here to visit.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2009, 07:14:18 PM »
Thats not right Ken. Moscow has three international airports and two domestic airports for a total of 5 airports. The teams had to switch from DME to SVO. They are on opposite sides of town. Both SVO and DME have international and domestic terminals. From what Luke says, he and his mom and J/C flew into SVO domestic and most of the other teams flew into the domestic terminal of DME and then crossed Moscow on some form of ground transportation (trains or cab) and and all teams left from the international terminal at SVO.

Btw, there is at the present time, no one train from one airport to the other. T/V and Mel/Mike had to switch train terminals and trains in downtown Moscow.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:49:07 PM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2009, 07:34:20 PM »
Ken, Dr. Rox is absolutely correct. Sheremetyevo Airport is 27 km north of the center of Moscow and Domodedovo Airport is 22 km south southeast of the center of Moscow. That total is 30 miles for a public tranportation or taxi ride between those airports.

I do agree that seeing the comparative film for public transit vs. taxis would have been exceiting since the arrrival time was not much in advance of the lastest one to make the flight to Delhi.Like you, I would have appreciated seeing a little of it.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2009, 02:07:38 AM »
We heard about Mel/Mike and Tammy/Victor's tight train ride, but we never knew the rest had to cab it too! I thought they just took a later direct flight into SVO, while M/M and T/V thought the domestic-international was too risky and decided for an earlier flight into DME...

Cool to know!

Mike said they couldn't film in the subways because of permit issues. But wouldn't that be the perfect occasion to use the 24-split screen? ... That's why I love public transportation on TAR.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2009, 10:34:53 AM »
The train into central Moscow from DME ends on the south side of the Moscow River, a couple of blocks from the Pit Stop on Moscow I on TAR13. Then either subway or cab across the river to different train station for train direct to SVO. From what I read, there are plans to connect the train stations so people can take a train from one airport to the other without having to do the subway/taxi deal.

As far as taking a cab from airport to airport, I would assume that the driver would take that outer most ring road to avoid downtown traffic. I would assume it would be quicker, but a longer drive than straight across town.
Matthew 7:15

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2009, 05:00:53 PM »
Happy Birthday Luke, may all your wishes come true   :hearts:  :conf: :party: :hbday: :dancer:

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
Re: Margie & Luke Adams - Happy B-Day
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2009, 08:17:16 PM »
Happy Birthday Luke! :congrats: :partie: :hbday: :party:
Hope it was a good one!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 08:22:14 PM by Snooky101 »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2009, 10:00:20 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LUKE!!

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.