Author Topic: News from TARcon 14!!  (Read 12802 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
News from TARcon 14!!
« on: May 09, 2009, 06:54:52 PM »
We are having a blast and am going to try to update y'all as able!

The weekend started out on Friday AM at the CBS Plaza for the Early Show to see the end of Phil's ride across America....

Oh my, what a wonderful moment! Got to see the end of the ride, was able to speak to Phil's Dad John (such a love!!), Phil's charming wife, and PHIL!! Gave him our best congrats! Also got to meet a couple of the camera guys who did all the wonderful vids filming from the back of the red motorcycle!

Photos in this slideshow are a mix of ones from me and Harley!! Big thanks to her!!
Y'all enjoy, pics from last nights first annual Peach Party later...much later. :lol:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Re: News from TARcon 14!!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
Thanks peach! Can't wait for even more exciting news from TARCon 14..!

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 10:03:02 PM »
I also have some pictures. I'm back from NYC.
Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 10:57:42 PM »
First, let me say the racers I met last night could not have been nicer.

I got to meet Margie, Jaime, Linda & Steve, Preston & Jen, Amanda & Kris, Dan from TAR13, Kisha, Tammy & Victor, Jodi and Brad & Victoria.

Of those I talked with extensively, Dan, Preston, Linda & Steve, Margie, Brad and especially Jaime could not have been nicer.

Dan was mingling. He is extremely funny. He gave me some insight into his season and I'll share that after tomorrow's finale.

Steve admitted that he was in racing mode when he got to Elimination Station and had a hard time letting go. Linda had let go once she got to Thailand.

Brad said he had a hard time keeping up with Phil on the bike ride through Columbus. Brad said Phil went very fast and Brad was used to riding at a leisurely pace. He also loves us here at RFF!  :hearts: :hearts:

Preston is a down-to-earth guy. He and I spent some time talking and drinking. Said he could not wait to meet Nate & Jen of TAR12 who were also in town. I told him I loved Jennifer's death stare at Elimination Station. :funny: He said he and Jennifer are both Type A personalities, but from what I saw last night, they really enjoy other.

Jaime was the nicest person you could meet. Very sweet.

Margie was having a blast.

I did not spent that much time talking to Tammy & Victor. If I was able to have more time with them at TARCon, I certainly would have sat down with them. Tammy spent a lot of time talking with Jaime.

I'll have pictures for you also.
Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 12:05:57 AM »
Here's my report from Peach's gathering.
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 03:04:15 AM »
The next main event was a casual gathering at Emmtt O'Lunney's Irish pub.   This was such fun that we just might try to make this an annuall "Peach Party" event! Ken did a nice job summarizing everything,  I will just add some more pics here.... aagain, pics from Harley and a few from me....

http://picasaweb.google.com/perennialgirl/TAR14PeachPartyMay82009?authkey=Gv1sRgCIePrpeKl4uApwE&feat=directlink
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline harley

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 03:15:06 AM »
There are some links to pics below - I just don't know how to do the slideshows like Peach.

A couple of RFFers

Friday night

Saturday night

All the racers are so very friendly and thankful for all the fan support.

Dear Lord: So far today, I'm doing alright. I have not gossiped, lost my temper, been greedy, grumpy, selfish or nasty. I have not gossiped, cursed, whined or eaten chocolate. However, I am going to get out of bed in a minute, and will need a lot more help then. Amen.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 07:42:50 AM »
Nice to see TARAsia favs Kelly & Christy from TAR13 and Nate & Jen from TAR12! :yess: :yess:

I wish I could have been at the Saturday event, but as you can see, I'm home now.  :'( :'(
Just here to visit.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 09:15:56 AM »
Kelly and Christy!!!    :hearts:

Great photos everyone!

:colealert:
Thanks again for the reminder of how much it sucks being Australian, and not 21.
:colealert:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 10:48:48 AM »
TARAsiaFan:

I think you are out of luck on your wish for spring Amazing Race finales to not be on Mother's Day. It is unlikely to come true for spring ARs because:
1. All major spring series tend to finish before Memorial Day to be in Sweeps period.
2. TAR typically finishes one week before Survivor.
3. Survivor typically finishes one week before the Memorial Day Weekend.
4. the Sunday two weeks before Memorial Day weekend is by definition the second second Sunday in May, aka Mother's Day.

Better luck on summer, fall, and winter Amazing Races.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 12:41:55 PM »
A big thank you to all the photo posters.   :tup:

Sarah without glasses  <3

But then again, Sarah with glasses  :kuss:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 01:14:57 PM »
TARAsiaFan:

I think you are out of luck on your wish for spring Amazing Race finales to not be on Mother's Day. It is unlikely to come true for spring ARs because:
1. All major spring series tend to finish before Memorial Day to be in Sweeps period.
4. the Sunday two weeks before Memorial Day weekend is by definition the second second Sunday in May, aka Mother's Day.

I guess you're communicating directly with Nina Tassler? You certainly feel you're Mr. Know It All.
Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 07:48:18 AM »
TARAsia Fan,

Just judge my concepts for their inherent value, not based on your feelings about who originated them!

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 07:50:23 AM »
TARAsiaFan:

I guess you're communicating directly with Nina Tassler? You certainly feel you're Mr. Know It All.
I have a theory that apskip is Nina Tassler:
1. I have never seen both of them in the same location at the same time.
2. They both seem to have attended the same finishing school.
3. Jack Bauer practically faints whenever he hears either name.
4. They both have inside knowledge about TAR!

Could someone compare the ip address that apskip posts from to Nina's?
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 07:53:11 AM »
I jsut saw Peach and Harley on the Early Show before and during the presentation of the $1,000,000 check. It was roughly between 835am and 842am if you taped the entire show. How do they do the perfect positioning for the cameras? On Friday for Phil's ride finish there wasn't a lot of competition, but this morning there many other groups vying for attention. I guess Peach and Harley get up really early to assure that their positioning is optimal.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 07:58:23 AM »

Jaime gave me some information which I cannot share publicly until after the finale. Once the finale has aired, I will publish it, but for now, suffice to say that it's classified.

So I'm on pins and needles! Whats the news? Is she having Lukes love child?  :groan:
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 08:18:21 AM »
TARCON XIV was a bit of a bust from my unique perspective. Many racers were there when I needed to leave at 11pm, but some had not even shown up by then. The CBS party gets precedence and it must have been better than usual.
Kisha, Amanda and Kris were the only ones there until 1045pm when Cara (I think it was her and not Jaime) arrived while Tammy and Victor arrived at 1050pm. I was told Brad and Victoria were there, but I could not find them.  Of that group I talked to only Kisha who answered a few questions for me(but since there were a lot of TWOPers wanting to say hi and get pictures taken with her I could not reasonably ask all that I had). I asked her if she felt the judging of the Chinese Waiter DETOUR used a different standard for Kisha/Jen than it did for Tammy/Victor. Her reply was that she certainly hoped so based on the Chinese language skill differential. On the finish of Ep.11, Kisha said that she could not estimate how far back they were to Jaime/Cara, but it was several minutes and not the seconds that Phil stated.

Perhaps the more interesting access was to the former racers, who were at TARCON XIV in abundance. I saw Tom/Terry of AR10 and Sarah of AR13. I talked for a few minutes with Drew. He responded to my question about differences in his physical abilties bewteen AR1 and AR11 by saying that he had suffered an undiagnosed medical condition for maybe 25 years. It was in a bit of remission for AR1 but full on for AR11. He said he could not move well in AR11 (which watching him in the first two episodes verifies). He has now been cured and feels like a new person. My conversation with Gerard was brief. We talked about the decisive ROADBLOCK in AR3 in the Seattle Gas Works Park. He lamented that Ken and he had worked so hard to catch up and then not be able to match Zach and Ian in twirling animal heads.

So that's it from TARCON XIV. There were about 200 attendees. It was crowded once the racers arrived because they funnel through a narrow chute, but earlier it did not appear crowded. This was my second TARCON (the other being XI All-Stars) and it may have been my last.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 08:30:26 AM »
I have a theory that apskip is Nina Tassler:

:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:
Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 08:40:43 AM »

Jaime gave me some information which I cannot share publicly until after the finale. Once the finale has aired, I will publish it, but for now, suffice to say that it's classified.

So I'm on pins and needles! Whats the news? Is she having Lukes love child?  :groan:
First, she said her bikini that she wore was TAR-issued and in danger of falling off because it was too small. She said that she had a bikini ready to wear, but could not because the producers had provided one to her and Cara.

Also, Jaime said for the last legs, they sequestered the racers and kept them separate from each other. There were not allowed to mingle where they were allowed to do so early in the race. She said the producers would try to rile them up by saying, "So and so said this about you," trying to stir up some tension. As soon as they finished talking on the mat with Phil, Jaime said she and Cara were whisked away and put into a room. They didn't have any sleep or food. She felt this was done on purpose (confirming what Nicholas said in TAR12 about not having sleep or food) to make them tired and stir up some controversy. Jaime said she and Cara would not take the bait because they loved Margie & Luke so much and respected Tammy & Victor.

That's what I sat on. I did not want to release it early.
Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 08:58:28 AM »
It was crowded once the racers arrived because they funnel through a narrow chute, but earlier it did not appear crowded. This was my second TARCON (the other being XI All-Stars) and it may have been my last.
That's what happened in December. It was not busy at all, then after 10 p.m., Stitch got crowded. From 6 p.m. until about 9:30 p.m., you could walk around, put up a bowling alley and have plenty of room. When the racers were released from their private party at an undisclosed location, they start coming over and as they enter the establishment, they get mobbed at the entrance and they have to fight to get to the back or get a drink. I love the atmosphere and use it to catch up with friends from here and The Message Board That Shall Not Be Named, even though I'm here much more than there. :lol:

I would have been at TARCon had it not been on Mom's Day. We'll see what happens if there's a second cycle next season. Also, I'm grateful that there's still a TARCon to go to.
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 09:50:38 AM »
The party got going after 11.... :lol:

I jsut saw Peach and Harley on the Early Show before and during the presentation of the $1,000,000 check. It was roughly between 835am and 842am if you taped the entire show. How do they do the perfect positioning for the cameras? On Friday for Phil's ride finish there wasn't a lot of competition, but this morning there many other groups vying for attention. I guess Peach and Harley get up really early to assure that their positioning is optimal.

CBS told us exacly where to stand, they know that star quality when they see it!! :funny:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 10:04:31 AM »
Here's the check presentation.

Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 02:07:41 PM »
You can check out the scene at the New York Marriott Residence Inn last night.
Just here to visit.

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 10:43:42 PM »
Finally made time to get here!  So much to add, but of course, no time.  Still, I had a blast!  Thanks to Peach, Harley, and the cast of thousands (tm) for yet another awesome weekend.  Last time, I was only able to make a 15 minute guest appearance out of a full weekend of fun (The SEC Championship and the Big 12 Championship were the Saturday before, but that wasn't the definite reason to my miss).  The time before that was a full day but it still felt incomplete since I've made the most of my journey four of the previous 5 trips down.

Anyway, I had a great time.  Could have been better, but with several TAR seasons on the way, there's opportunity for that.  I should be able to participate in everything with a traditional fall/spring cycle.

Missed Chateau and AsiaFan.  Sorry you couldn't make it.   As for the Mom's Day thing, I'm afraid that it's going to be a conflict for the next spring season or two.  However, with the mention of trying to get TAR's finale in before Memorial Day, I agree with apskip (nice to meet you BTW); however, if that's the case, you'd think that the sooner TAR ended, the better.  After all, since 2003 Survivor has ended on Mother's Day every year save for this year and in 2005.  Something happened to get TAR to end later than normal.  However, if all goes well, CBS could have TAR16 premiere after the superbowl, which would help it end before Mother's Day.

Anyway, that speculation is too early to worry about; back to TARcon.  I had a wonderful time and got to talk to some of the AR13 racers that I missed last time.  It was rather brief though; Hopefully, I can catch up with them next year (and with the other racers that didn't go this time).  Thanks once again to everyone involved for such a great weekend, see y'all soon!
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on