Author Topic: TAR14 Finale: 'This is How You Lose a Million Dollars'  (Read 161377 times)

Offline Acoustic

• RFF Jr. Member
Re: TAR14 Finale: 'This is How You Lose a Million Dollars'
« Reply #300 on: May 11, 2009, 04:03:14 AM »
GREAT season! I loved the winners, been rooting for them and Kisha and Jen. A lot better than last season

Can't wait for TAR 15! Hope its just as great or even better!

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #301 on: May 11, 2009, 05:31:41 AM »
Did they not show us the first clue?? Because J/C give their taxi driver a 'Detour' clue for the pig. Maybe there was a clue before it that sent them to a detour in which they all chose pig...

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #302 on: May 11, 2009, 07:04:18 AM »
Okay finish!  I would have liked to have Jaime and Cara win, but Tammy and Victor deserved it more I think!  And now we wait... till maybe the end of June, or July.  Unless of course, we get delayed like we have for a few times before this.

Offline eragon

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #303 on: May 11, 2009, 08:38:03 AM »
Did they not show us the first clue?? Because J/C give their taxi driver a 'Detour' clue for the pig. Maybe there was a clue before it that sent them to a detour in which they all chose pig...

yes, the pig task was a detour (clearly seen from Jaime's hand)... but since all teams chose to do the pig task, they just showed it as a additional task.

Offline icono

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #304 on: May 11, 2009, 09:48:21 AM »
For those who probably already knew this but choose to omit this fact, is that

1) Deaf person (Adrian) has won amazing race asia in season 2
2) An all girl team has already won amazing race asia in season 1

So Luke and Marge and Jamie and Cara didn't win.

Don't make a difference to me. And even if they did, they are not going to make any special precedence doing so either. :yess:

I am just happy finally a pair of Chinese Americans have won the race.  :yess:

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #305 on: May 11, 2009, 10:31:20 AM »
WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Greatest season, greatest finale EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tammy and Victor - The moment they ran into the golf couse, I was just ECSTATIC. Gosh, I really did not expect them to win. Prior to this episode, that is. I really saw them finishing in fourth or second, like most competitive teams do. What's more, my favourite teams almost always finish in second or fourth. Victor was awesome at the Roadblock! Luke was so far ahead I thought no one could catch up, then Victor comes with the brains and overtakes him. I'm usually pissed cos my favourite team would arrive at the RB first, then lose to another team. But this time, it was the other way round. I can't believe my favourite team won, it's been six seasons since it happened. This is way cool. Just love how their relationship has grown over the legs, from their big quarrel in Romania to Victor encouraging his sister all the time now. LOVE THIS TEAM! They deserved it, AND I LOVE THE ENDING!!!!

Cara and Jaime - Prior to the season, I expected them to win. But as the legs progressed, I thought they were doomed to third place. Didn't expect them to finish second as well. (This season's really unpredictable, the edit was never obvious). I felt rather bad for Cara during the pig task when Jaime was pushing her so. I really like this team too, love Cara for being ever so nice and tolerant. She was so supportive of Jaime doing the RB, I was pretty moved by that. And I'm proud of them for making up so much time at the RB! Really happy for them, they did so great. Oh, and I thought it was class act that Jaime stayed to help Luke. Perhaps she wouldn't have done it if she were in first, but I still think that staying behind was really commendable. I mean, in a race, every second counts! Love these girls!

Margie and Luke - Never really expected them to make the final three initially and when they did, I kind of thought they'd win. Also, Luke was soooooo far ahead and he was doing really well, didn't expect anyone to catch up. It was a pity that he couldn't get the last two. But it was sweet to see them and Cara and Jaime work together. It's a great friendship on this race. =) And while I didn't like them too much in the last few legs, I think they're a great team, definitely an inspiration to others. That scene at the finish line was so sweet, Luke thanking his mum and all. Aww. Having said that, anyone with me that they'll be back if there's another season of All-Stars?

Once again, I have to say that this is the best season ever! Season 12 was awesome all the way till Ronald and Christina lost the RB and finished second. Season 8 saw my favourite team win, but I didn't really like the season on a whole cos it was pretty boring. This time, not only was the whole season great, the three teams in the finale were great, the final four were great, the tasks were great, the whole season was so unpredictable, no really obvious edit, all in all, AWESOMEST SEASON EVER!

YAY FOR TAMMY AND VICTOR AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Really sad that this season's over, now I've got nothing to look forward to on Mondays. Let's all hope that TAR 15 will be as wonderful, if not better!
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #306 on: May 11, 2009, 10:54:30 AM »
[Some stuff for the flight people
.. Tammy and Vic not on the same flight? even though editing made it seem so
puddin, there is no way to tell for sure given the paucity of flight-related infomration telecast. I agree that they may not have been on the same flight from Beijing to Tokyo. The reasonable choices(from the Timelines thread) were:
PEK to NRT:
JL780 0825 1255
NH956 0830 1300
NW30 0900 1340
CA925 0925 1355

It appears that Tammy/Victor used their 2 hours earlier arrival at Beijing airport (or a travel agency, as we don't know whether or not they used one) to get the first possible flights for both PEK NRT and NRT HNL. It's their advantage for being in first place. Now, that advantage is meaningless on the PEK NRT leg. Assume that Magie/Luke and Jaime/Cara were on CA925. It hardly matters. What does matter is which flight they got NRT to HNL. The first two flights are JO(which is JALWays) 76 and JO8090. JO76 departed at 645pm and JO8090 at 715pm, but JO8090 must have been a faster plane and arrived at HNL 12 minutes ahead of JO76. Now that again matters little if all 3 teams get on HA 176 HNL OGG, which I believe they did (but can't prove it without asking specific questions of the teams , which is likely to happen).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:13:46 PM by apskip »

honeybee

« Reply #307 on: May 11, 2009, 11:19:30 AM »
It's so obvious who wins you guys, its right under your nose :carryon:
The answer was right under your nose or noses ...  :tup:

•Jennifer Hopka & Preston McCamy no evidence beyond leg 1
•Linda & Steve Cole no evidence beyond leg 1
•Victoria & Brad Hunt  no further evidence
•Amanda Blackledge & Kris Klicka no further evidence
•Jodi Wincheski & Christie Volkmer no further evidence
•Mel & Michael White Two older men/ on flight Bangkok to Phuket (leg 7)  **
•Mark  Michael Munoz last witnessed in Romania (leg 3) & "maybe" China/airport heading to Guilin (leg 9)
•LaKisha & Jennifer Hoffman (Daily News Interview: "Siberia was cold, and I don't care for the cold at all" (leg 4 and or 5) )
•Margie & Luke Adams eyewitness reports spotted in China airport heading to Hawaii (final leg)
•Cara Rosenthal & Jaime Edmondson eyewitness reports spotted in China airport heading to Hawaii (final leg)
•Tamara & Victor Jih eyewitness reports spotted in China airport heading to Hawaii (final leg)

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,17805.0.html

hehe...was I the only one smart enough to figure that out?  :snicker:

I guessed it was like that, that just maybe she knew!  But I wasn't completely convinced until I watched.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:35:48 PM by honeybee »

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #308 on: May 11, 2009, 11:36:08 AM »

•Mark  Michael Munoz last witnessed in Romania (leg 3) & "maybe" China/airport heading to Guilin (leg 9)
•LaKisha & Jennifer Hoffman (Daily News Interview: "Siberia was cold, and I don't care for the cold at all" (leg 4 and or 5) )
•Margie & Luke Adams eyewitness reports spotted in China airport heading to Hawaii (final leg)
•Cara Rosenthal & Jaime Edmondson eyewitness reports spotted in China airport heading to Hawaii (final leg)
•Tamara & Victor Jih eyewitness reports spotted in China airport heading to Hawaii (final leg)

Nah... I totally had that figured out too :)  I watched as there were slight edits but the top three were there all along...!
It's just like her bootlist from all-stars!  The final three was supposedly not known, but the order they were in was still right if I remember.
 :lol: (Correct me if I am wrong)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 11:41:35 AM by Snooky101 »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #309 on: May 11, 2009, 01:04:26 PM »
This may have been posted already? I am way behind...

But the pig was a detour option with the the other option being surfing, and having to stand up for 15 seconds. No one chose it.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #310 on: May 11, 2009, 01:15:34 PM »

Nah... I totally had that figured out too :)  I watched as there were slight edits but the top three were there all along...!
It's just like her bootlist from all-stars!  The final three was supposedly not known, but the order they were in was still right if I remember.
 :lol: (Correct me if I am wrong)
Snooky101, yes, you are wrong. puddin's AR11 bootlist went all the way to Eric/Danielle finishing #1.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #311 on: May 11, 2009, 04:14:25 PM »
Welcome back Gman my man  :hearts:

Pud, read your email lately :waves:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #312 on: May 11, 2009, 04:17:52 PM »
Welcome back Gman my man  :hearts:

Pud, read your email lately :waves:
NO! I am sorting through it as I read this Gman ..lots going on this past weekend .. TAR, the prom ..Mothers Day.. I am trying to catch up sweetie :luvu:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #313 on: May 11, 2009, 04:34:24 PM »

I guessed it was like that, that just maybe she knew!  But I wasn't completely convinced until I watched.

I suspected that puddin did that on purpose. After about Leg 5 or 6 she moved Tammy & Victor from being in about 4th place to being at the end. I was always wondering why she did that even when it said there was no evidence beyond Leg 7.

She also moved some other teams around too. She didn't have it in the right order back at the beginning.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #314 on: May 11, 2009, 05:40:22 PM »
Thought I would just like to share this.  Hope it hasn't already been posted!
http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/05/phil-keoghan--1.html

Phil Keoghan blogs 'The Amazing Race' finale: episode 12
May 11, 2009, 02:58 PM | by Phil Keoghan

Another season in the can. I think season 14 was definitely one of the best we've ever done. Ranks right up there with some of my other personal favorites - seasons 1, 3, 5, and 7 to name a few. We had an extraordinary final three heading into Sunday night. We had a feisty all-female team in Cara and Jaime and who had what it took to potentially claim the first victory for the women; we had the Team that you may call this season's “underdogs;” and lastly Tammy and Victor, who may just have a bit more practical skills than I ever gave them credit for.

I was at the finale party in NY last night and Victor actually called my bluff and wanted to challenge me to a tire changing contest. However, he did admit that they struggled driving a stick shift and that he had bruises all over his legs from being a bit uncoordinated – if you think back, the propeller Roadblock wasn’t exactly a whirling success.

In addition to the season 14 cast, we also had some past familiar faces at the party last night including former Racers Tom and Terry, Sarah and Terence, Kelly and Christy, Nate and Jennifer, and even Drew from Season 1 showed up. Really fantastic to see all those guys coming out to show their support for this group of globe trotters.

Seeing as this is my last blog entry for this season, I thought I would review some of my favorite moments from Season 14:

·    Cannonball Cheese Wheels: If you ever hear the line "Watch out for the cheese," you know you have a great season on your hands.

·    Big Brother Doesn't Always Know Best: While in Romania, Victor insisted they were going in the right direction. He was wrong. Turned out to be a game changer for the winners as Victor learned it’s a Team sport and not a dictatorship.

·    Mat Meltdown:  Who was to blame? Even several weeks following the infamous meltdown, we're still debating who was in the wrong.

·    Most expensive potty break ever: Kisha and Jen work so hard as a team to battle back through a challenging leg and with a spot in the final three on the line, Jen makes a quick bathroom Pitstop.

·    Last night’s Roadblock: Love the moment when all three teams are running neck-and-neck. Great finale episode last night.   

As I’ve stated before, I really love when teams' relationships grow on the Race and I honestly feel like Tammy and Victor's matured right in front of us. They learned to feed off of each other, communicate with one another, and most importantly listen to each other. And I believe they’re probably walking away from the Race with a better relationship than when we started.  I have a lot of respect for those guys.

As far as their strength in the game, they were like the NY Giants two season’s ago…they got hot down the stretch and everything started clicking for them. They ran one heck of a race in the final couple of legs. Don't get me wrong, we knew they were a strong team when we first saw them, but I think most of us thought their relationship may trip them up along the way.

Luke and Margie were definitely one of my favorite Teams we've ever had on the show. Their relationship is truly compelling and whether or not they were your favorites, you have to give both of them a ton of credit. Not sure they were on anyone's final three lists at the start of the season. Margie – or as I call her, “Bionic Woman” – is as competitive and strong willed a human being as I've ever been around. And Luke, who was probably the biggest Race fan ever, never let any obstacle get in his way and clearly never will.

Cara and Jaime definitely played a strong game. When we first saw this team we knew they were strong enough physically and mentally to make a serious run at the million dollars. They were also relentless in their pursuit of becoming the first all-female team to win the Race but came up just a bit short. I’m sure Cara was a great cheerleader on the field, but she is definitely an all-star off the field. She always maintained her cool throughout a very hectic race and was always supportive of her friend and teammate. 

Just want to say thanks to everyone for tuning in this season and for coming out to support me on my Ride Across America. It’s been a crazy couple of months. I am going home now (via airplane) in a much wider and more comfortable seat to gear up for season 15.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 05:43:52 PM by Snooky101 »

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #315 on: May 11, 2009, 05:41:24 PM »
It's in the TAR14 in the Media thread in discussion, but nothing wrong with having it here.
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #316 on: May 11, 2009, 06:32:20 PM »

I suspected that puddin did that on purpose. After about Leg 5 or 6 she moved Tammy & Victor from being in about 4th place to being at the end. I was always wondering why she did that even when it said there was no evidence beyond Leg 7.

She also moved some other teams around too. She didn't have it in the right order back at the beginning.
True, I did admit that I did not know from the beginning and like I said .. one can never be sure until the fat lady sings. Honestly I prefer trying to figure locations and tasks rather who goes when but now CBS has decided to spoil the route so whats the fun in that? Remember the good ole days when we had to figure out where they went next simply by identifying a license plate or airline as well as the intro flash screen caps  :umn: :'(

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #317 on: May 11, 2009, 06:48:58 PM »
we had to figure out where they went next simply by identifying a license plate or airline as well as the intro flash screen caps

Or the following week's preview   :'(

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #318 on: May 11, 2009, 07:09:07 PM »
we had to figure out where they went next simply by identifying a license plate or airline as well as the intro flash screen caps

Or the following week's preview   :'(
I remember in season 9 I wasn't spoiled at all!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #319 on: May 11, 2009, 07:37:41 PM »

Or the following week's preview   :'(
I remember in season 9 I wasn't spoiled at all!
I wasn't spoiled until i got the internet  :lol:! As soon as I got it my sisters were like you have to sign up for all the on-line games, Survivor and the race. I was like where do I find answers? They said search the spoiler boards and I was like spoiler boards? .. thats how it began and I did well! Now I don't even play the games cuz knowing spoilers is like cheating I guess? to me anyway.
Thats my story :res: blahblah

Offline makz3d

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #320 on: May 12, 2009, 09:52:52 AM »
V: I actually wish they had aired a little bit more of the near disasters or the near fiascos that ended up working out.  There were so many strangers who helped us out that unfortunately people will never see. Even in that final leg, the travel agent accidentally gave us first class tickets.

T: We almost went the way of Azaria and Hendekea in the final leg.

V: We almost freaked out and in Tokyo, these great people from Hawaii in fact, basically said "You know what?  Let us give you our credit card and make long distance calls as long as you want to sort this out."

T: And they gave us money to eat and the kindness of strangers we experienced during this race was incredible.

V: Even in the Beijing airport we ran into this random person who let us use their cell phone to make international calls and we found this person sleeping on the floor who basically pulled out his wallet and gave us the little bit of money that he had.  We were able to survive all of those things, but to me it's amazing how strangers were willing to help other strangers.

This is from the BuddyTV interview.

Has anyone checked with Tammy & Victor about the first class tickets?  There could have been a whole different outcome.  There was the spoiler with T/V in same Tokyo airport as M/L & J/C but didn't seem to be on the same plane and appeared to be with Phil & BVM and production.  Were the wrong tickets for Tokyo to Hawaii?  Or did they actually use them to get to Tokyo? If so then it seems there would have been a penalty.

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #321 on: May 12, 2009, 10:45:32 AM »
V: I actually wish they had aired a little bit more of the near disasters or the near fiascos that ended up working out.  There were so many strangers who helped us out that unfortunately people will never see. Even in that final leg, the travel agent accidentally gave us first class tickets.

V: We almost freaked out and in Tokyo, these great people from Hawaii in fact, basically said "You know what?  Let us give you our credit card and make long distance calls as long as you want to sort this out."

T: And they gave us money to eat and the kindness of strangers we experienced during this race was incredible.

V: Even in the Beijing airport we ran into this random person who let us use their cell phone to make international calls and we found this person sleeping on the floor who basically pulled out his wallet and gave us the little bit of money that he had.  We were able to survive all of those things, but to me it's amazing how strangers were willing to help other strangers.

Has anyone checked with Tammy & Victor about the first class tickets?  There could have been a whole different outcome.  There was the spoiler with T/V in same Tokyo airport as M/L & J/C but didn't seem to be on the same plane and appeared to be with Phil & BVM and production.  Were the wrong tickets for Tokyo to Hawaii?  Or did they actually use them to get to Tokyo? If so then it seems there would have been a penalty.

It sounds like they sorted it out in Tokyo, so it must have been on the Hawaii leg that they had first class tickets.  This is probably why they were in the same area as Phil and BVM, because they had to get the tickets changed.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #322 on: May 12, 2009, 11:44:10 AM »

The reasonable choices(from the Timelines thread) were:
PEK to NRT:
JL780 0825 1255
NH956 0830 1300
NW30 0900 1340
CA925 0925 1355

apskip,

My research says that NW30, PEK-NRT was canceled on Nov 21. I also find a PK852 on Nov 21, PEK-NRT at 08:35-12:50. The spoiler was definitely on CA925 and saw Phil, BVM and T/V at the transfer desk in Terminal T-1-S. So that would rule out the JL780 and PK852 flights, since they both were at NRT Terminal T-2, and the spoiler would not have seen them in T-1-S. If NW30 PEK-NRT was in fact canceled, then the only flight that Phil,BVM, and T/V could have been on was NH956.

flight data for PEK-NRT on Nov 21, 2008.

JL 780  JAL 8:25 AM  8:40 AM  T-3  12:45 PM  12:56 PM  T-2  Landed
  On-time  767   
PK 852     Pakistan International Airlines 8:35 AM   T-2  12:50 PM  1:11 PM  T-2  Landed
  21 min(late)  310   
NH 956  ANA 8:45 AM  8:53 AM  T-3  1:05 PM  1:25 PM  T-1-S  Landed
  20 min(late)  763   
NW 30     Northwest Airlines 8:55 AM   T-1-N  1:35 PM   T-1   Cancelled
CA 925  Air China International 9:30 AM  9:54 AM  T-3  1:50 PM  1:37 PM  T-1-S  Landed
  On-time  74E   
CA 167  Air China International 1:30 PM  1:58 PM  T-3  5:50 PM  5:52 PM  T-1-S  Landed
  On-time  757   
NH 906  ANA 2:50 PM  3:13 PM  T-3  7:15 PM  7:23 PM  T-1-S  Landed
  On-time  763   
JL 782  JAL 3:30 PM  3:30 PM  T-3  7:50 PM  7:44 PM  T-2  Landed
  On-time  767   
CA 421  Air China International 4:40 PM  4:44 PM  T-3  9:00 PM  8:37 PM  T-1-S  Landed
  On-time  757 
Matthew 7:15

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #323 on: May 12, 2009, 12:41:45 PM »
Dr. Rox,
The ticket machine that Tammy/Victor got tickets from was JAL. Why not JL780? It was the most logical (first) one anyway. Just because it wasn't in the same terminal does not mean they weren't eventually on it; it just makes it not probable.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #324 on: May 12, 2009, 12:48:35 PM »

It sounds like they sorted it out in Tokyo, so it must have been on the Hawaii leg that they had first class tickets.  This is probably why they were in the same area as Phil and BVM, because they had to get the tickets changed.

makz3d, I totally agree with chill_sd on this. They bought an alternate ticket in Tokyo. The leg originally with first-class tickets had to be Tokyo to Honolulu. With 3 flights between 8am and 9am just on Hawaiian Airlines, there would be no reason to have first-class tickets from Honolulu to Kahului airport(Maui) because tickets are so inexpensive ($38 much of the time coach, $159 almost always first-class).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:01:58 PM by apskip »