Author Topic: TAR14 Finale: 'This is How You Lose a Million Dollars'  (Read 161433 times)

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
Re: TAR14 Finale: 'This is How You Lose a Million Dollars'
« Reply #250 on: May 10, 2009, 10:44:12 AM »
I'm back just in time for tonight's finale.  From the previews I have seen including the long one detailing Luke's surfboard oddessy, and the tease from the end of last week, it looks like although Luke is ahead, all of the teams are together for the final roadblock.  So perhaps Luke screws up and the others catchup and even pass him.  Will know all tonight.

Seems that CBS is really giving a lot away of what happens in the finale.

Have fun everyone.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #251 on: May 10, 2009, 10:57:35 AM »
Welcome back Gman my man  :hearts:

it looks like although Luke is ahead, all of the teams are together for the final roadblock.  So perhaps Luke screws up and the others catchup and even pass him.  Will know all tonight.

Shades of Eric & Jeremy TAR 9........

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #252 on: May 10, 2009, 11:00:13 AM »
Yeah, I think the other teams aren't as far behind as the video may imply.  First Cara & Jaime and then Tammy & Victor catch up at the Roadblock and then they pass both Margie & Luke because Luke gets stuck after the first six boards -- or at least one of them does so, most likely Cara & Jaime.

Belle Book

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #253 on: May 10, 2009, 11:16:46 AM »
For those that can't see the surfboard roadblock youtube

http://www.mediafire.com/?zntzjzgtz24

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #254 on: May 10, 2009, 11:37:29 AM »
Welcome Home G-Man......

And happy TAR day to all.

If Margie & Luke do lose (remember CBS has spoiled the race before in their promos).  Remember season 10, you so didn't need the shadows on Bama's Boobs (Chateaux) to tell you who wont he race and what order they arrived in.

And if If Margie & Luke do lose (it will be like Ron & Christina), I really wouldn't use Eric & Jeremy for a true comparison.

It appears that this leg (like the last two season, thank you so much CBS in this you have truly corrected the single biggest race flaw, now get to the rest).  Eric & Jeremy had built up a over a 30 minute lead) and had that lead disappear (thanks to mid leg flights, specifically designed to bunch al three team).  If the race didn't have mid leg bunching they would have easily won (by a significant amount of time).

In Ron & Christina's case all the  teams started in a tie (which is standard for the race legs) and they lead the whole race, but based solely off of their performance at the roadblock they lost.  It wasn't due to the producers bunching teams mid leg for their lead to disappear.  It was completely in their control.

I am curious how often that mid leg bunching (when most tasks are complete) has cost teams the win.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #255 on: May 10, 2009, 11:47:31 AM »
Okay, now I know where they are.  Thanks to the quest for Kaupakalua Road. 
This farm is just 0.4 miles down the road from the actual Surfboard Fence place:  panoramio

It's also 24 or 25 miles from the final mat.

No wait, it's not right!  Working on it ...

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 12:02:05 PM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline pitt02

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #256 on: May 10, 2009, 11:55:12 AM »
Maybe by posting this theyre trying to lead people away from thinking M/L are going to win but they do actually win.  Now its starting to confuse me.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #257 on: May 10, 2009, 01:15:03 PM »

Thanks for the effort, puddin, but I still can't open it. It's a .flv file and my PC software rejects that type.

Offline Max

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #258 on: May 10, 2009, 01:18:24 PM »
Maybe by posting this theyre trying to lead people away from thinking M/L are going to win but they do actually win.  Now its starting to confuse me.

I don't think Luke's expression in the group photo is very indicative of a million dollar winner.  I think it's between C/J and T/V.  Only a few more hours 'til we know!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #259 on: May 10, 2009, 01:31:08 PM »

Thanks for the effort, puddin, but I still can't open it. It's a .flv file and my PC software rejects that type.
Don't know if your willing to download this apskip ?
http://download.cnet.com/FLV-Player/3000-13632_4-10467081.html

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #260 on: May 10, 2009, 01:34:01 PM »

I don't think Luke's expression in the group photo is very indicative of a million dollar winner.  I think it's between C/J and T/V.  Only a few more hours 'til we know!
Every picture tells a story don't it?

Wow this place is dead   :juggle :pirate7

Photo credit Mike Paz @ Twops

Photo credit CBS/Amazing Race on Facebook

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #261 on: May 10, 2009, 01:48:17 PM »
From Wikipedia:

Leg 11 (People's Republic of China → United States)

* Flight: Beijing, People's Republic of China (Beijing Capital International Airport) to Maui, Hawaii (Kahului Airport)
    * Maui (Ma'alaea Bay) -  Detour (Jet or Dive)
    * Maui (Fleming Beach)
    * Maui (Peahi Farms) - Roadblock (Who's ready to relive it?)
    * Maui (Kahili Golf Course)  Pit Stop (Finish Line)

This leg's Detour was a choice between Jets or Waves. In Jets, teams had to get on a (personal watercraft) and ride around the water in search of one of thirty buoys. Under four of them they would find attached a clue. In Waves, teams had to get into a wetsuit and swim out 40m from the shore and retrieve one of thirty 'Amazing Race' envelopes each. When back at shore they would open the envelopes, four of them would contain a clue. If they did not find a clue they would have to swim back and forth until they find one. The Roadblock required one team member to relive the race. They would have to arrange surfboards displaying the roadblocks and detours of each leg of the race in order of completion in order to receive their next clue.

Additional task:

* At Fleming Beach, teams had to carry a (Hawaiian Luau) suspended on a piece of bamboo along the beach and trade it for their next clue.

-----------

Reliability?? Looks believable to me..

Looks bogus to me.

Peahi Farms does not match.

Fleming Beach does not match.  This shot is at Fleming Beach and you see Molokai to the left, whereas, in the preview Molokai is to the right

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 02:10:35 PM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #262 on: May 10, 2009, 02:01:50 PM »
From Wikipedia:

Leg 11 (People's Republic of China → United States)

* Flight: Beijing, People's Republic of China (Beijing Capital International Airport) to Maui, Hawaii (Kahului Airport)
    * Maui (Ma'alaea Bay) -  Detour (Jet or Dive)
    * Maui (Fleming Beach)
    * Maui (Peahi Farms) - Roadblock (Who's ready to relive it?)
    * Maui (Kahili Golf Course)  Pit Stop (Finish Line)

This leg's Detour was a choice between Jets or Waves. In Jets, teams had to get on a (personal watercraft) and ride around the water in search of one of thirty buoys. Under four of them they would find attached a clue. In Waves, teams had to get into a wetsuit and swim out 40m from the shore and retrieve one of thirty 'Amazing Race' envelopes each. When back at shore they would open the envelopes, four of them would contain a clue. If they did not find a clue they would have to swim back and forth until they find one. The Roadblock required one team member to relive the race. They would have to arrange surfboards displaying the roadblocks and detours of each leg of the race in order of completion in order to receive their next clue.

Additional task:

* At Fleming Beach, teams had to carry a (Hawaiian Luau) suspended on a piece of bamboo along the beach and trade it for their next clue.

-----------

Reliability?? Looks believable to me..

Looks bogus to me.

Peahi Farms does not match.

Fleming Beach does not match.  This shot is at Fleming Beach and you Molokai to the left, whereas, in the preview Molokai is to the right

Also if you look at the most recent final legs, they have more destinations listed than that. In TAR 13 there was only one task that was a Detour/Roadblock and the rest was finding all these different locations.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline makz3d

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #263 on: May 10, 2009, 02:14:35 PM »
This is the link to the YouTube of the latest video.

Hope I've done this right.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwjDDbxvqCQ&feature=channel_page

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #264 on: May 10, 2009, 02:18:48 PM »

you could convert the file in www.zamzar.com
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline YY

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #265 on: May 10, 2009, 02:48:10 PM »
This is the link to the YouTube of the latest video.

Hope I've done this right.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwjDDbxvqCQ&feature=channel_page

So at the very least, by the time the other teams catch up, M/L have 6 of the 11 surfboards done. I've read other things here, longtime lurker, first time poster, and some say that L messes up somehow but he'd have to REALLY mess up to let the others catch up.

I'm happy with whoever wins, I like all three teams left.

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #266 on: May 10, 2009, 04:01:20 PM »
I've had a feeling that Cara/Jamie would win ever since we first found out they were in the final 3.   I always expected them to have a little bit of a edit saying they could be the first all female team to win the race much like they did with Dustin/Kandice in their seasons.  What I recall from their seasons was how much they advertised through the editing that D/K could be the first all female team to win.  It seemed like at every pit stop or confessional it was mentioned.  But with Cara/Jamie, the only time it was mentioned that i can recall was in the  last episode and it might have been in the first episode (though not sure on that).  It just had me wondering if they took the opposite approach with C/J than they did with D/K.  Though one can say that D/K were stronger racers hence the edit and C/J have been more lucky racers than strong.   Therefore if C/J win, I wouldn't be surprised.  I'd be happy for them.  The all female racer curse would finally be broken.  :lol:

I never expected Margie/Luke to be in the finals so was surprised when the spoiler came out that they were.  I'd be happy with them winning just for the fact that it would be a first for a parent/sibling team to win.  I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for that to happen for years.   :lol:  I think they'd be deserving as they were strong racers and always pulled through.

As for Tammy/Victor, they have been the dominate racers.  I wouldn't be surprised with a win by them either.  So I wouldn't put it past them to pull out a win.  I'd be happy with them winning as well.

Overall, I like all 3 teams.   I've been satisfied with the race this season.

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #267 on: May 10, 2009, 04:18:19 PM »
Luke set out on this race to show America that deaf people can do anything just as well as hearing people can. And while I respect and applaud him for that, he failed. Margie did all the hard work while, in a way, he sat on the sidelines and watched. For a team to be considered deserving of winning the money, they have to be just that: a team. Which is why tonight, if it isn't Cara & Jamie that cross the finish line first, I'll settle with Tammy & Victor only.

It's been an interesting season. The casting in this was eally good. They managed to find people who arn't your run-of-the-mill couples. As this chapter comes to a close, I'm already looking forward to the next one!

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #268 on: May 10, 2009, 04:23:56 PM »
I've had a feeling that Cara/Jamie would win ever since we first found out they were in the final 3.   I always expected them to have a little bit of a edit saying they could be the first all female team to win the race much like they did with Dustin/Kandice in their seasons.  What I recall from their seasons was how much they advertised through the editing that D/K could be the first all female team to win.  It seemed like at every pit stop or confessional it was mentioned.  But with Cara/Jamie, the only time it was mentioned that i can recall was in the  last episode and it might have been in the first episode (though not sure on that).  It just had me wondering if they took the opposite approach with C/J than they did with D/K.  Though one can say that D/K were stronger racers hence the edit and C/J have been more lucky racers than strong.   Therefore if C/J win, I wouldn't be surprised.  I'd be happy for them.  The all female racer curse would finally be broken.  :lol:

And did you notice, their initials are just one letter from each other C/J --> D/K...coincidence?  :gnome I think not :funny:
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

lovelytar

« Reply #269 on: May 10, 2009, 04:32:26 PM »
Hi, Everybody you are amazing and talk about discussion.. Well, I found Deaf person of the month.. I say congrats to Luke/Margie..  ;D

http://www.deafpeople.com/dp_of_month/luke.html

If suppose I hope Luke/Margie will winner bring it on for milllion..  :duno: I hope so.. :)

lovelytar

« Reply #270 on: May 10, 2009, 04:36:46 PM »
AFTER 3 CONTINENTS, 9 COUNTRIES AND 40,000 MILES, THE FINAL THREE TEAMS WILL SQUARE OFF IN ONE FINAL LEG DURING THE SEASON FINALE OF "THE AMAZING RACE 14," MAY 10, ON CBS
"This is How You Lose a Million Dollars" (Maui) - Following a Race that spanned three continents, nine countries and 40,000 miles, Tammy and Victor, Cara and Jaime and Luke and Margie will square off in a grueling final leg that will test their endurance, their memory and one Racer's karma, during the season finale of THE AMAZING RACE 14, Sunday, May 10 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Phil Keoghan is host.

I found some it.. :) One nagging and search clue & screw up this clue.. I guess so.. and I can't wait this and i wonder who winner.. :) I can't believe this.. This F3 finale!! :wohoo: :wohoo:

SEASON FINALE
When Karma attacks - One team's rage against taxi drivers around the world comes back to haunt them. Two teams put their friendship first when they set aside the race and help each other finish a task. One racer's constant nagging while searching for a clue causes their partner to lose their cool and in an unprecedented finale, the final three teams find themselves racing neck-and-neck in their last task on the road to the million dollar prize.

Offline littlewop

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #271 on: May 10, 2009, 04:39:07 PM »
I'm back just in time for tonight's finale.  From the previews I have seen including the long one detailing Luke's surfboard oddessy, and the tease from the end of last week, it looks like although Luke is ahead, all of the teams are together for the final roadblock.  So perhaps Luke screws up and the others catchup and even pass him.  Will know all tonight.

Seems that CBS is really giving a lot away of what happens in the finale.

Have fun everyone.
Luke could also be the one that helps out another team, thus letting the other teams catch up.  When I read 2 teams teaming up, the only 2 I could picture was C/J and M/L.  Both of those teams have felt that Victor has burned them in the past, so why would either team up with him?  And I don't see Victor helping out another team either at the expense of himself and Tammy.

Offline YY

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #272 on: May 10, 2009, 05:57:51 PM »
Luke set out on this race to show America that deaf people can do anything just as well as hearing people can. And while I respect and applaud him for that, he failed. Margie did all the hard work while, in a way, he sat on the sidelines and watched. For a team to be considered deserving of winning the money, they have to be just that: a team.

He danced when he couldn't hear the music, he swam laps only what, at one point a minute behind Michael Phelps' time, Luke didn't just sit by and let Margie carry him, he did just as much as she did. They were definitely a team and honestly, take a little offense to your assertation that he failed in saying he didn't prove that a deaf person could do just as much as a hearing person can. The only difference is auditory (sp?) ability and to assertain that he's defective in some way, well, that's not right. If that's not what you meant I apologize but again, I maintain that they were a team.

Offline red_sox

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #273 on: May 10, 2009, 06:20:57 PM »

Every picture tells a story don't it?

Wow this place is dead   :juggle :pirate7

Photo credit Mike Paz @ Twops

Photo credit CBS/Amazing Race on Facebook

Every picture tells a story? And both pictures you posted show the teams in the same order.

1. Tammy and Victor
2. Jamie and Cara
3. Margie and Luke

*sigh* would've loved for M/L to pull this one off, it just sucks that they were so far ahead and obviously screw up really badly!

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #274 on: May 10, 2009, 06:44:29 PM »
I was thinking that to, but I don't think CBS would make it that obvious.  :duno: