Author Topic: TAR14 Finale: 'This is How You Lose a Million Dollars'  (Read 161385 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: TAR14 Finale: 'This is How You Lose a Million Dollars'
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2009, 02:43:28 PM »
OK - I'm moving this over from the speculation thread... since somebody locked it :lock  :res:
I'll make it up to you and will ask that you create the final poll and questions walkingpneumonia. mswood has a lot on his plate.

thank you in advance  :lol:

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2009, 03:23:16 PM »
I'll speculate that the Surfboards are somehow involved in the memory task, sort of like a localized version of the flag task from TAR 9.

Will we see the team that arrives at the memory challenge first wind up losing the race (again!)?

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2009, 03:42:01 PM »
:lol:  Just like being there.... (not quite)  ;)   Maui Web Cams   :tup:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2009, 03:47:26 PM »
haha I love webcams Boingo! thanks for the link.
And I think the surfboard task goes without saying that it is indeed the final task/roadblock guys.

Phils blog fwiw:

Here’s my quick tease for the finale episode:

After 3 continents, 9 countries, and 40,000 miles, it all comes down to one final leg. The final three teams will square off in a leg that will test everything from their endurance, their memories, and even their sea legs. And one racer’s Karma may come back to haunt them. Two teams will put their friendship first when they set aside the Race and help each other finish a task, and the final three teams will find themselves racing neck-and-neck in their last task on the road to the million dollar prize.

Final-Three Team Breakdown:

Cara and Jaime: Fiercely tough competitors but you have to wonder if a local is going to lose their cool on them at some point with all the screaming. Having said that, they definitely have the strength to become the first all-female team to win the Race.

Victor and Tammy: Seem to be coming on strong now. They’re focused, determined, and they feed off of each other’s tunnel vision. Definitely a stronger team heading into the final leg than they were when we first started this race. I love when team’s relationships grow on the Race.

Luke and Margie: Communicate better than any team left in the Race, but do they have the strength to battle it out against two very strong teams.
Guess we'll have to wait and see next Sunday.

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/05/phil-keoghan-bl.html

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2009, 03:48:21 PM »
OK - I'm moving this over from the speculation thread... since somebody locked it :lock  :res:

The surfboard location thing is confirmed.
I tried to find a lu'au (pig roast) site in close proximity to jet ski's and black rocks and I came up with the area just northwest of Lahaina.
Jet ski island is where a few jet ski rental places work from - its moored offshore.
Black rocks is just off of the Hilton hotel - supposed to be good for snorkeling there - it looks like L/M go swimming...
The lu'au place seems to be pretty popular and the beach looks right. There is a pig cooking pit in the middle of the amphitheater.

Looks good, and I assume the luau place you refer to is most likely the Old Lahaina Luau  ;D

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2009, 04:12:25 PM »
Not sure what a tramp stamp is ???

Next On The Amazing Race
SEASON FINALE
When Karma attacks -
One team's rage against taxi drivers around the world comes back to haunt them.
Two teams put their friendship first when they set aside the race and help each other finish a task.
One racer's constant nagging while searching for a clue causes their partner to lose their cool and in an unprecedented finale, the final three teams find themselves racing neck-and-neck in their last task on the road to the million dollar prize.

The team's rage against taxi drivers around the world which comes back to haunt them is obviously Cara & Jaime, maybe on the way to the finish line.
The two teams that put their friendship first is Cara & Jaime (again) and Margie & Luke.
And the one racer's constant nagging might well be Victor nagging Tammy.  Or it could be Luke nagging Margie, not really sure.
I could see Jaime saying the title quote if they leave the Roadblock first but find a bad taxi driver (again).  Tammy or Victor could say it as well, but I think it's more likely to be Jaime, meaning we have our first all-female winning team.

Belle Book

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2009, 07:48:17 PM »
I'll speculate that the Surfboards are somehow involved in the memory task, sort of like a localized version of the flag task from TAR 9.

Will we see the team that arrives at the memory challenge first wind up losing the race (again!)?

Margie and Luke losing the race?  :funny: It seems they are first to arrive at the challenge.

For the two teams working together, could it be that Tammy and Victor finished the challenge first, and it stresses out Cara and Jaime and Margie and Luke, which they then decided to work together and complete it quick so that they don't lose even more time to Tammy and Victor since they are at a lose-lose situation anyway.

Or it could be Margie and Luke completing first, and C/J and T/V work together.. but i don't see that happening. And i also don't see Cara and Jaime completing it first.. so i thought the first scenario may actually be what will happen during the finale?? Just a guess.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2009, 08:37:37 PM »
Some photo resources:
  • From the coastal erosion people, some nice-res obliques and aerials here
  • Resort aerials here
  • A state imagery portal here; not much use to us, but it includes a great MODIS shot if you need some wallpaper  ;D
Also, for reference the Dettloff farm, on Kaupakalua just off the Hana hwy.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #133 on: May 04, 2009, 08:53:41 PM »
Some photo resources:
  • From the coastal erosion people, some nice-res obliques and aerials here
  • Resort aerials here
  • A state imagery portal here; not much use to us, but it includes a great MODIS shot if you need some wallpaper  ;D
Also, for reference the Dettloff farm, on Kaupakalua just off the Hana hwy.
Seems like GE is the only way were going to get inside that surfboard farm, thanks Slowhatch.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #134 on: May 04, 2009, 11:03:56 PM »
You'll probably never see 10 seconds like AR 2 again and even 2 minutes for AR3 and maybe AR6 is very difficult.
How do you know? Are you on the production staff? Did BVM tell you this himself? Are you clairvoyant?
Ken, you are always the jokester! I needn't tell you that I predict the future as you already know this.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #135 on: May 04, 2009, 11:26:27 PM »
Yes, you are the all-things TAR.
Just here to visit.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2009, 06:18:19 AM »
You'll probably never see 10 seconds like AR 2 again and even 2 minutes for AR3 and maybe AR6 is very difficult.
How do you know? Are you on the production staff? Did BVM tell you this himself? Are you clairvoyant?
Ken, you are always the jokester! I needn't tell you that I predict the future as you already know this.
Habibi :jam:
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline littlewop

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2009, 09:25:48 AM »
If it came down to a foot race, which of the 3 teams do you think will win?  My money is on T/V.

Offline scruffs

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2009, 09:28:53 AM »
If it came down to a foot race, which of the 3 teams do you think will win?  My money is on T/V.

i'm betting on Margie and Luke
Chance favors prepared minds.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2009, 09:45:30 AM »

I'm betting on Cara & Jamie ... just kidding.

I think Margie & Luke are the stronger Team of runners.

Offline nathyn

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2009, 09:51:29 AM »

Didn't we see this a couple of episodes ago. M&L lost to T/V and T/V lost to J/K, which prompted T/V to U-turn J/K b/c they couldn't outrun them.

Although I could see M/L slowing up when they realized it wouldn't matter if they came in 2nd or 3rd. 

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #141 on: May 05, 2009, 11:57:25 AM »
Tammy and Victor only have to outrun Margie......Luke doesn't matter, just like Chris/Alex only had to out run Tara in TAR2. Tammy outran Margie down the mountain in Germany and T/V out ran her in Guilin. Also, Tammy outran Cara in Ruhpoldng and Novosibirsk too.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:42:15 AM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline littlewop

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2009, 12:11:33 PM »

Didn't we see this a couple of episodes ago. M&L lost to T/V and T/V lost to J/K, which prompted T/V to U-turn J/K b/c they couldn't outrun them.

Although I could see M/L slowing up when they realized it wouldn't matter if they came in 2nd or 3rd. 

That's why I thought T/V, but I couldn't remember how big of lead they had on M/L.  I know it was at least a few seconds.  Looks like M/L & C/J owe T/V big time for the u-turn.  No doubt that the sisters would have beat all of them in a foot race.

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #143 on: May 05, 2009, 01:00:08 PM »
Cara and Jaime - They probably won't win cos of karma. And I guess they'll have their usual problems with the cabs.

Tammy and Victor - After winning four legs, it'll be boring to many if they won I guess. And Phil did mention that this is one of his favourite seasons, which means that the winners should not be that predictable? Just a guess.

Margie and Luke - Somehow seems the most likely to win. Hmm.
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2009, 10:51:37 PM »
Cara and Jaime - They probably won't win cos of karma. And I guess they'll have their usual problems with the cabs.

Tammy and Victor - After winning four legs, it'll be boring to many if they won I guess. And Phil did mention that this is one of his favourite seasons, which means that the winners should not be that predictable? Just a guess.

Margie and Luke - Somehow seems the most likely to win. Hmm.

I think that Jaime & Cara will finish 3rd. Not distant, but it'll be Margie & Luke or Tammy & Victor who will win. It may be Phil's favorite season, but (hopefully) that doesn't mean Margie & Luke win, although he clearly adores them (to the point that it's a little over-the-top). I'd rather see another team of dominant siblings win than them right now. Too much of putting disabled people on pedestals.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2009, 01:01:37 AM »
Depends on when they have it.  If Jaime gets her smackdown happens early in the finale (anytime in the first act or early in the second act), they still have a chance.  If it happens late in the finale (late in the second act or anytime after that), then they're toast from, indeed, karma.
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline scruffs

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2009, 03:18:10 AM »
i would not be surprise if tammy and victor will win this whole thing.. they have been very lucky on the recent legs because they speak the language of the country they visited. not to mention the leg where they fell second to the last, if only brad and victoria took the same flight, then they will be eliminated.

margie and luke are the most competitive team of this season, and they showed it early on the race when they u-turned kris and amanda which are surely big threats... if the last leg will be more of physical task, then a margie and luke win can be expected esp. if they are all neck-and-neck.if the surfboard task is before the one which required them to lift a pig in a bamboo stick.then they would likely win this. i will be ecstatic if they will cross the finish line first.

jamie and cara well i think their only hope of winning is if they really indeed the one who said the finale title, and if the tradition of the production to use quotes from the winners will continue.. a jamie and cara win i think will be very dramatic....as i see it.they are not the strongest and the smartest but they can be the luckiest, despite their taxi problem

either ways they will make history in the amazing race:

tammy and victor - first asian siblings to win

margie and luke - first mother and son team to win

jamie and care - first all female team to win...

goodluck to all of them... :jumpy:

Chance favors prepared minds.

Offline AbbyNormal

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2009, 06:16:56 AM »
Frankly, of all the remaining people the only one I like is Tammy - so go Tammy/Victor!

My prediction:
#1 Tammy/Victor. They get 30 seconds of airtime to tell what the Race meant to them.
#2 Margie/Luke. They get 10 minutes of airtime to give an inspirational speech about how deaf people can do anything... blah blah blah
#3 Jaimie/Cara. They blame it on a taxi driver, who apparently did not speak any English even though they were in Hawaii.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2009, 11:08:31 AM »
short promo during TPIR .. same as the web promo

Offline mrspreacher

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2009, 11:25:45 AM »
So where were those three screencaps taken from?  Are they from pitstops we have already seen-I mean the Victor and Tammy one looks like it definitely, but what about the other two?

I was also wondering-do you guys think there is any significance of the TAR finale being on mother's day instead of Survivor's finale?