Author Topic: TAR14 Finale: 'This is How You Lose a Million Dollars'  (Read 161364 times)

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
Re: TAR14 Finale: 'This is How You Lose a Million Dollars'
« Reply #325 on: May 12, 2009, 12:57:21 PM »
Dr. Rox,
The ticket machine that Tammy/Victor got tickets from was JAL. Why not JL780? It was the most logical (first) one anyway. Just because it wasn't in the same terminal does not mean they weren't eventually on it; it just makes it not probable.

apskip,

How devilish and fiendish of T/V. They fly from Beijing to Narita T-2 on JL780. Take the inter-terminal shuttle back to T-1-S to be seen at the transfer desk with Phil and BVM by the spoiler. Then re-trace the shuttle back to T-2 to fly to Hawaii. I think you are on to something there!!!!!

:jumpy:  :jam: :jumpy: :jam: :jumpy: :yess:
Matthew 7:15

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #326 on: May 12, 2009, 01:59:29 PM »
Yeah, I heard someone say Kihei on the show and I knew my Kaanapali claim was sunk.  So the land form that I was so sure was Molokai was actually just more of Maui   :groan:

For the life of me, I couldn't tell if that "view" was from the Kanapali area looking toward Moliki or from the Kihei area looking at the West Maui Mountains, which are a remnants of another volcano. I think it was called Iao Volcano. It was a collapsed caldera. I kept twisting GE around trying to match it and just never found it. I tended to think it was Kihei area........but for the dumbest reasons.....lol.

All the elimination station teams were at a hotel farther down the coast in Kihei area. I thought the pig luau would make a great wrap party after the race was over.....sort of kill two birds with one stone. I actually asked Steve this same question at TARcon and he laughed and said that would have been great, but not luau wrap party for them.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #327 on: May 12, 2009, 02:13:12 PM »
The first task, the luau, was in the Kihei area. That means that there is a mountain view north, east and south  except for west to the ocean.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #328 on: May 12, 2009, 02:22:30 PM »
Yeah, I heard someone say Kihei on the show and I knew my Kaanapali claim was sunk.  So the land form that I was so sure was Molokai was actually just more of Maui   :groan:

For the life of me, I couldn't tell if that "view" was from the Kanapali area looking toward Moliki or from the Kihei area looking at the West Maui Mountains, which are a remnants of another volcano. I think it was called Iao Volcano. It was a collapsed caldera. I kept twisting GE around trying to match it and just never found it. I tended to think it was Kihei area........but for the dumbest reasons.....lol.

All the elimination station teams were at a hotel farther down the coast in Kihei area. I thought the pig luau would make a great wrap party after the race was over.....sort of kill two birds with one stone. I actually asked Steve this same question at TARcon and he laughed and said that would have been great, but not luau wrap party for them.

And it changes the time estimate a lot.  I got 9 am if it was Kaanapali.  But for Kihei the time estimate would be a much later.  I will give it a try later on.  It would help to get consensus on the exact location of Beach Access 118 though.  A later time at the beach will explain why the finish was late in the day.

And this would add some time too:  Seattle PI interview

Victor: There was a hidden task that wasn't aired. We had to find this statue and it took us a little bit to find that, and it was a little bit of a drive to the golf course. We were cautiously optimistic.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 02:33:45 PM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #329 on: May 12, 2009, 05:50:46 PM »
Well, these are not near the quality of Neobie, but I hope they will work Chateau.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 06:03:36 PM by DrRox »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #330 on: May 12, 2009, 11:56:12 PM »
Thanks Dr.

This shot was taken between 9:35 and 9:54 am (assumes November 21st).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:00:10 AM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #331 on: May 12, 2009, 11:59:35 PM »
And the shadows line up with the line of sight to the volcano.

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #332 on: May 13, 2009, 10:45:44 AM »
And this would add some time too:  Seattle PI interview

Victor: There was a hidden task that wasn't aired. We had to find this statue and it took us a little bit to find that, and it was a little bit of a drive to the golf course. We were cautiously optimistic.

They probably had to find the Kamehameha statue at the Grand Wailea, this would lead them to the Kamehameha Golf Club.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #333 on: May 13, 2009, 11:16:40 AM »
When the driver took J/C to the false fence, it was actually the Hawaiian Island Surf & Sport at 415 Dairy in Kahului (compare the cap the photo here). And when he stopped for gas, it was at the Shell in Old Paia (compare the cap to the Quinsaat building). So he generally went the right path, just...not very fast.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #334 on: May 13, 2009, 12:48:24 PM »
Wow!  Nice work Slowhatch!

So then why did they get low on gas!

I still liked the concierge remark they got.   :lol:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #335 on: May 13, 2009, 05:07:41 PM »
Dr. Rox,

I really appreciate your pins in the Maui map. However, I disagree on the placement of the Surfboard Fence pin. It is too close to Hana. It needs to be much farther left and quite close to Kahului airport based on other maps I have seen.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #336 on: May 13, 2009, 06:36:26 PM »
Apskip, it's accurately placed.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #337 on: May 14, 2009, 07:24:13 AM »
Dr. Rox,

I really appreciate your pins in the Maui map. However, I disagree on the placement of the Surfboard Fence pin. It is too close to Hana. It needs to be much farther left and quite close to Kahului airport based on other maps I have seen.

apskip,

I don't give a rat's anatomy whether you agree or disagree with my pin placement. Rather, apskip, why don't you post your so-called "maps" and we will discuss the veracity of your information. If you don't post your data, then your post is just typical message board stalking BS. I learned a long time back not to pay much attention to anything you say after you sent me that FIRST rude and stupid PM. Your inability to not realize that puddin made that post showed me that you do not pay enough attention. I bet you didn't send her the same PM you sent me, did you? Now, when you send me a PM, I just delete it, without reading them.

But your constant disagreeing with me has become so comical, I just can't help but laugh every time you choose to post after me. I am actually flattered that you spend so much time and energy to disagree with me.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #338 on: May 14, 2009, 12:32:09 PM »
Well, Dr. Rox I accept your challenge. To me the message is what matters. If you want to make it the messenger, so be it.

So here is the correct placement of the pin for the surfboard fence at Kaohu Farms, Peahi, Haiku. If you don't think that's the correct location, then look at the episode again since it is clearly specified there. Here is the map for that area:

Map of Haiku with A on Surfboard Fence Location

Of course it is the lower of the two maps which provides the Haiku area map. Your location is much further east down the Hana Road. Mine is pretty much directly below the rounded point on that coast of Maui where the Hana Highway essentially bends to go south.

If you watched in the episode live (since you were at the same place I was you may not have been able to well) then you may remem ber Jaime, Cara and the taxi driver reaching the sign that said Hana 35 (arrow pointing straight) and Haiku 3 (arrow pointing right). I believe they turned right there, which is why that sign was shown.

For anyone wondering what is at the site I have referenced above, here it is:

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:53:42 PM by apskip »

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #339 on: May 14, 2009, 01:26:31 PM »
The self-proclaimed God of Maps has spoken.  :snicker: :snicker: :snicker: :snicker:
Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #340 on: May 14, 2009, 01:59:24 PM »
So here is the correct placement of the pin for the surfboard fence at Kaohu Farms, Peahi, Haiku. If you don't think that's the correct location, then look at the episode again since it is clearly specified there.
So the surfboard fence was in an irrigation ditch?
Just here to visit.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #341 on: May 14, 2009, 02:34:13 PM »
So here is the correct placement of the pin for the surfboard fence at Kaohu Farms, Peahi, Haiku. If you don't think that's the correct location, then look at the episode again since it is clearly specified there.
So the surfboard fence was in an irrigation ditch?

Haiku? Irrigation ditch? I feel inspired...

The gleeful surf board
As in irrigation ditch sits
Does wait, what for deafness?

I hope they visit Limerick in TAR 15  :funny:
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #342 on: May 14, 2009, 04:06:23 PM »
my 2 cents ..I believe this is correct as noted by Chateau/Slowhatch/DrRox

and this is wrong.

View Larger Map
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 05:15:30 PM by puddin »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #343 on: May 14, 2009, 04:44:04 PM »

So here is the correct placement of the pin for the surfboard fence at Kaohu Farms, Peahi, Haiku.

Map of Haiku with A on Surfboard Fence Location

Looks to me that your placement of the surfboard fence is in the middle of a drainage/irrigation ditch in the middle of a pineapple field. If you zoom in on that map and switch to the satelite view, this is what you get:

So to paraphrase that cop in Die Hard I......"I think you are going to need some more maps"

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #344 on: May 15, 2009, 08:05:54 AM »
This has got to be one of those instances where you don't need a footrace (TAR2) to have an exciting finale. From the pig task placement to the Roadblock, the teams placement continuously changed.. from T/V in first, to second, then to last, then back to second, then to first.. it was exciting and seriously unpredictable.. until the very end where Victor finally got the clue.. then we know he really got it. It was one hell of a finale.

The final 3 teams, though my support goes to T/V.. i would have been happy with anyone winning. The first asian, the first all-female or the first parent-child team.. it doesn't matter.. i really love this final 3 because like i've said before.. the final 3 in previous seasons often had one team being overshadowed and leftout with the focus on the other 2.. but for this season, all three teams in the final 3 had an equal share of their own storyline and this makes the race so much more interesting, because we already followed them through the race and it was exciting to have so many fans root after the three respective teams.

Yay to T/V, they seriously deserved it. And wow, J/C actually did better than i expected and came in second.. and M/L.. could have won if Luke kept his cool. I was pretty surprised that he actually couldn't remember the scorpion task.. because it was probably just a few days before that their team did the task and it was quite shocking that he didn't get it.

Love everything about TAR 14.. one of the best seasons ever definitely! And must i say.. my winner curse has finally been broken ever since SEASON 7 where Uchenna and Joyce won.. and after 7 seasons.. finally another of my favourite team.. and for the first time ever.. a pre-season favourite of mine that i rooted for from the start to the end of the race won! Yay!

And now.. it's time for me to go back into mourning as there's no more TAR.. for about another half a year to one year. SIGH. :(

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #345 on: May 15, 2009, 07:55:31 PM »
This has got to be one of those instances where you don't need a footrace (TAR2) to have an exciting finale. From the pig task placement to the Roadblock, the teams placement continuously changed.. from T/V in first, to second, then to last, then back to second, then to first.. it was exciting and seriously unpredictable.. until the very end where Victor finally got the clue.. then we know he really got it. It was one hell of a finale.

The final 3 teams, though my support goes to T/V.. i would have been happy with anyone winning. The first asian, the first all-female or the first parent-child team.. it doesn't matter.. i really love this final 3 because like i've said before.. the final 3 in previous seasons often had one team being overshadowed and leftout with the focus on the other 2.. but for this season, all three teams in the final 3 had an equal share of their own storyline and this makes the race so much more interesting, because we already followed them through the race and it was exciting to have so many fans root after the three respective teams.

Yay to T/V, they seriously deserved it. And wow, J/C actually did better than i expected and came in second.. and M/L.. could have won if Luke kept his cool. I was pretty surprised that he actually couldn't remember the scorpion task.. because it was probably just a few days before that their team did the task and it was quite shocking that he didn't get it.

Love everything about TAR 14.. one of the best seasons ever definitely! And must i say.. my winner curse has finally been broken ever since SEASON 7 where Uchenna and Joyce won.. and after 7 seasons.. finally another of my favourite team.. and for the first time ever.. a pre-season favourite of mine that i rooted for from the start to the end of the race won! Yay!

And now.. it's time for me to go back into mourning as there's no more TAR.. for about another half a year to one year. SIGH. :(

Well, for me I can say that again, for the second season in a row, I picked the winning team (even if I didn't like those teams)!

I'm trying to be an optimist about the result, but it was still an amazing finale!
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #346 on: May 16, 2009, 01:17:28 AM »
Quote from: chill sd
They probably had to find the Kamehameha statue at the Grand Wailea, this would lead them to the Kamehameha Golf Club.
That's a good guess, considering the name of the golf course and the clue thingy they were given after the surfboard puzzle. With any luck, a racer might confirm for us soon. (photo).

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #347 on: May 16, 2009, 08:06:47 AM »
Good job slowhatch. If they went to that particular statue, then they went to the hotel where the Elimination Station teams were staying too. Puddin figured that out.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #348 on: May 16, 2009, 09:00:18 AM »
If the racers had to find a statue after the Surfboard roadblock, I'd be very surprised if it was the Kamehameha statue at the Grand Wailea.  According to MapQuest it's a 52 minute drive from the Surfboard fence to the statue.  Then, they would have to go back north to the finish line.  I just can't see them driving around that much at the end.

If the interview is correct, then I would suspect that the statue was located between the Roadblock fence and the finish line.

But most importantly, a big time thanks to Dr. Rox for the maps posted back on May 12.  They added a great additional perspective to the leg for me.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 09:31:04 AM by Pedaler »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #349 on: May 16, 2009, 12:26:33 PM »
Thanks Pedaler.

My pin placement is about 100-200m off. slowhatch and Chateau got the exact farm. You can zoom into that farm and twist GE around and actually see the fence when it was in its infancy. That particular sat photo is pretty old.

I feel the same way as you do about the statue. It is a long way down there and then back to the golf course finish line. If that was the case, I think we would have seen teams meeting and passing by each other, like we did in the jet skis, for instance. Like you, I think it might be some other statue in town near the airport. I do like the same name aspect too. I have done searches in google and in the picture sites for other statues on Maui, without any luck though.

I still would have liked to see some bicycle riding down Haleakala, maybe next Hawaii stop!!!!