Author Topic: Brendan Synnott  (Read 12696 times)

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
Brendan Synnott
« on: January 13, 2009, 12:25:38 PM »
Entrepreneur
New York City, NY
Tribe: Timbira
Brendan Synnott is all about playing the game. Whether it is in front of a classroom teaching entrepreneurial success or taking part in outdoor extreme adventures, he knows how to read the odds.

Raised by a single mom in Connecticut, Brendan pulled himself up by the bootstraps to be the co-founder and CEO of Bear Naked, a natural food brand that was recently acquired by a major corporation. Despite his financial success, he is not all about the money.

Success to him, however, is about more than simply creating, building and selling a thriving business; it's about hard work, passion, fun and surrounding yourself with the best people.

Synnott has always wanted to combine his love of the outdoors with his skills as a leader. In school, he played both football and baseball, and still stays active as much as possible. He loves to compete and says it's a driving force, even in business. It will especially be a driving force on SURVIVOR.

Brendan is single and currently resides in Vail, Colo. His birth date is Sept. 28.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:38:16 PM by puddin »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Brendan Synnott
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 11:02:25 AM »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 10:02:58 PM »
Seems like a down to earth person, possibly a favourite!! ;D

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 12:36:37 AM »
An interesting article:

Minturn resident on next season of 'Survivor'

When Brendan Synnott heard he would be a cast member on the CBS reality TV show “Survivor,” he went to the local fish market back home in Connecticut and asked if the employees there could show him how to gut a fish.

“They taught me how to rip out the gills and gut it and all that kind of stuff,” he said. “I just wanted to make sure I had done it one time before I had to do it for my only food source, if there was going to be fish down there (in Brazil).”

Synnott is the kind of guy who’s up for anything, said his friend Angela Rossi, who lives in Edwards. He’s athletic and has a good head on his shoulders — two traits Rossi said are perfect for “Survivor.”

Synnott, of Minturn, went to Brazil for two months this past fall to film the show. He couldn’t contact his friends or family during the trip, and since his return he hasn’t been able to say much about what he experienced there.

CBS makes sure the cast members stay tight-lipped about the show until the episodes play out on television. A CBS representative, Brett Gold, was even on the phone with the Vail Daily while we interviewed Synnott for this story.

‘Nothing to lose’
Rossi and Brad Ludden, of Gypsum, both have no idea how far their buddy made it in the show. Contestants get eliminated one by one until the final man or woman standing is announced in the finale. That winner also gets a million bucks.

It’s hard to know how difficult the show was for Synnott. He couldn’t tell us whether he lost any weight, what the contestants ate, whether he experienced any physical changes or discovered what his weaknesses are in the wilderness.

He said he tried to prepare for the adjustment as much as possible, but it was hard to prepare for such a drastic change.

“They take away everything that you know that you’re comfortable with in your own life, and so you try to think about what that’s going to feel like,” Synnott said. “But until somebody actually takes it away from you, I don’t think you can actually know that.”
Ludden said he knew Synnott would get chosen to do the show if Synnott were to apply.

“He’s made for it,” Ludden said.

Synnott, a Vanderbilt University alum, is smart, Ludden said. He helped found a granola company, Bear Naked, with a friend in 2002. The company took off, and the pair sold it in late 2007 for $60 million, according to CNN.

“A lot of the strategy he used in his business he could put to work (on “Survivor”) as well,” Ludden said. “He sort of went into it with nothing to lose (which) makes him a great contestant.” See Synnott on ‘Survivor’

Motivated by adventure
The $1 million grand prize has been a motivator for many contestants on past seasons of the show, but for Synnott, it was the thrill of the game. He agreed to do the show for the experience of it all. He wasn’t looking for fame or fortune, he said. He saw the game as something that really mimics his approach to business — they take away everything and you have to break yourself down and start from scratch to rebuild, he said.

“I hope to win a million dollars, but I’m not going to be devastated without it,” he said. “For me this is really about just having a great experience and I’m going to go on with my life the same way I would anyway. ... It was about challenging myself in a way that is really unique and is pretty hard to replicate anywhere else.”

After Synnott’s success with selling his business, he has focused a lot on philanthropy. He started a nonprofit organization recently called ONUS. He says the concept is adventure philanthropy, much like his friend Ludden’s organization First Descents, which takes cancer survivors on kayaking trips to rebuild their minds and spirits. Synnott hates seeing organizations that do good things struggle because its funding sources have dried up because of the economy. Instead, he wants to take adventure philanthropy and give people some value for their donations.

If Synnott wins the “Survivor” grand prize, he would give the money to ONUS, he said. The show ends in May, but there’s no finale date scheduled yet.

Link to the article: http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20090119/AE/901199963/1078&ParentProfile=1062&title=Minturn%20resident%20on%20'Survivor'
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 12:42:01 AM by marigold »

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 06:38:24 AM »
One of those I'm rooting for, he seems to be that he'll get booted at early jury.
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline Alan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 04:11:11 PM »
Looks like he's gaining trust and making alliances.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 01:25:25 AM »
I did not like Brendan in the beginning and am now sad he is gone. I even tried his granola and its not bad!
I was hoping he would be spared tonight and one of the buffoons would go. Coach is a JOKE!

Offline pledge

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 09:06:55 AM »
I was so upset that Brendan went home   :'(      I was all excited because
I thought Coach was going and then       (:;)    now I have to rethink
who I want to win ....... maybe Sierra   or maybe   JT

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 10:14:22 AM »
Secret Scene: Brendan

Posted by CBS

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 01:56:02 PM »
“I Tried to Be Trusting and Other People Are There to Slit Each Other’s Throats” – RealityNewsOnline’s Exclusive Interview with Survivor: Tocantins’ Brendan

In the battle of Coach vs. Brendan that played out this week, Brendan ended up on the losing side, even while he held the immunity idol. Why does he think the Jalapao threesome stuck with Coach? Why didn’t he use the idol? And what does he really think of Coach and all his stories? Brendan answers all these questions and more, right here!

The story of Jalapao was a tale of Brendan vs. Coach, the Dragon vs. the Dragonslayer. The Dragonslayer won, but what does Brendan think of Coach? Why didn’t the battle come to a head sooner? Brendan answers these questions and more, so read on to find out the answers!

RealityNewsOnline: Hello, Brendan, and thanks for taking the time to talk to RealityNewsOnline!

Brendan: Definitely!

RNO: Starting at the beginning, what was your strategy coming into the game?

Brendan: Coming into the game, I didn’t necessarily want to be a leader because I saw what would happen based on past seasons. When we first started the game, a lot of people don’t realize this, but I named Coach “Coach.” We were paired up in the first challenge and he told me he was a coach. I figured we could use a coach so I asked if I could call him that. I introduced him as that, so I thought I’d be okay. But then he proved incompetent as a leader.

RNO: Besides that, what kind of strategy did you plan?

Brendan: I kind of tried to lay low and work hard. I was kind of excited about going to Exile Island with the opportunity to get the immunity idol, which I got but didn’t play. (Laughs.) Other than that, just get my team to the merge with numbers. That would put me in the best position. But when I was on Exile so often, nine out of the first 16 days, I spent so much time away from camp. I crafted the Exile alliance with Taj initially because I didn’t know what was going on at my own camp and didn’t know if they were talking about me. So I kind of pushed my Exile alliance through, which kind of made it until last night.

RNO: Last week, we saw Taj and Stephen worrying that the Exile alliance was off because you hadn’t talk to them. Did you realize they were so concerned?

Brendan: As soon as we got to the merge, I got a knot in my stomach. The game radically changed. In the first part of the game, other than voting off Candace, we didn’t really have to in-fight, it was just leading the team to victory. As soon as we got to the merge, I was like, this game is really different now. I didn’t really know how to react. From there, everyone knew that I was with Taj so much that I tried to purposely distance myself from her initially. By the time I got to her, she wasn’t making eye contact with me, but I didn’t know if she was just acting like I was that we didn’t have any type of alliance or whether or not she had turned. Obviously, she had turned.

RNO: How surprised were you to watch the show and find out the various plots that were all going on at Forza camp?

Brendan: A bit more surprised at last week’s episode than I was at this week’s episode. You get a certain sense of paranoia when you’re there. You don’t know necessarily what’s reality and what’s not. In the last episode at one point, I followed Tyson out with Debbie and right at that point I could tell something was going on. But in my own head, I was like, I have this plan and if it works, it would be the best alliance in Survivor. The best way to make that work was to keep that immunity idol for one more Tribal Council. Then we would have eight people left and the four of us in the Exile alliance could control the game.

There was such tension not because I wanted tension but because Coach wanted to run the tribe – I didn’t want to, but Jerry threw me under the bus by saying I was a better leader.

Timbira had a bunch of really strong personalities on our tribe, compared to Jalapao. We hid those as long as we won immunity challenges, but as soon as we stopped playing as a team, they all kind of reared their ugly heads.

RNO: Why do you think J.T., Stephen, and Taj decided to go with Coach and Tyson instead of you and Sierra?

Brendan: Looking back on it, they were down six to four and at that point, it’s best to go with what the majority wants to do. I think they were masterful at that – they morphed into whatever strategy the Timbira wanted to put in place except for my own personal strategy. I remember being in conversations with them and I would be like, “I think we should vote out Coach,” and they would just agree with me. Looking back, anytime somebody agrees with you wholeheartedly, you should think they’re after you.

When Jalapao came over, Joe was obviously hurt, so the only real threat to win challenges was J.T., and he worked so hard at camp and ingratiated himself with everybody and everybody loved him. Stephen and Taj were not any type of threat, so they all became nonthreatening and turned all the threats to the Timbira tribe.

RNO: Last night, you said that getting J.T. to the finals and having him win was the same as you winning – can you explain that?

Brendan: Once we got to the merge, it just didn’t feel right. Playing the game all about me and going after everybody else wasn’t something I was too into. J.T.’s story is a pretty amazing one and out of everybody left, I was like, if he wins it, it will change his family’s life for generations. I had an awesome time with him. That was probably my mistake – I tried to be friendly and trusting with folks and other people are there to slit each other’s throats.

RNO: What are your true feelings about Coach?

Brendan: I think Coach is utterly amusing. I think he is delusional. I think he is generally a pretty nice guy for the most part. I spent basically the whole time with Coach, other than my time on Exile, and he is all about himself. You rarely meet somebody who likes to talk about himself with such utterly long sentences with big words that are not factual. A lot of people on the tribe, especially the women, didn’t like him because he talked down to them, which is really not cool.

He makes great television and he is a character in every sense of the word. In the end of the day, he’s a nice guy and harmless. If he had malicious intent in him, it would be a different story. I don’t know what world he lives in, but it was sure fun to be a part of it for a little while.

In the show, when he did his symphony conducting, I used to get him so riled up. I said when somebody comes out and introduces the conductor, it’s a long introduction and then their hair goes flying around. I asked him what he does. He went into a tirade and gave his whole introduction and got his hair going for 25 minutes. It was so goddamned amusing!

RNO: What percentage of his stories do you believe are actually true?

Brendan: I think Coach is an incredibly smart man and a voracious reader. I think he reads a lot of fantasy. I think he enjoys the fact that he combines his knowledge with everybody else’s reality and creates Coach’s world. The stuff he comes up with, the stories are too good, they are pieces of what he’s read in the past. Last night when he was telling that story about being captured and beaten, I asked specific questions like how much he paid for the helicopter, and he couldn’t really answer them. That to me was really the tell. The other thing is if you look up his stories online, nothing every been written about them except what he wrote himself.

RNO: When you said, at Tribal Council, that you had the immunity idol, did the others seem to take it as a joke?

Brendan: No, I think everybody kind of assumed I had it. Taj outed me and went to the other side – everybody believed her story, which was obviously true. They just started talking about it and I said it in jest but there is a lot of truth said in jest. I was fine with everybody kind of assuming that I had it.

RNO: We’re running out of time, so do you have anything else you’d like to tell us about your time on Survivor?

Brendan: I had a blast. It’s one of the most brilliant social experiments ever and I’m just happy to be a part of it at one point.

RNO: Thanks again, Brendan!

http://www.realitynewsonline.com/cgi-bin/ae.pl?mode=4&article=article8833.art&page=1

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 02:32:15 PM »
Exclusive Interview: Brendan Synnott, from 'Survivor: Tocantins'

Brendan Synnott did not need the million dollar prize.  He's already a millionaire, probably many times over.  Brendan came into Survivor: Tocantins with a target on his back (his name had leaked prior to the start of the season, so his fellow castaways already knew about his background) and, yet, played about as good of a game as you could hope for.  Being athletic, likable and wealthy is a great combination for life, but for Survivor, it's not going to put you in a good position.  Benjamine "Coach" Wade and Tyson Apostol, despite being in his Timbira tribe, had it out for Brendan from the beginning and pulled enough strings on last night's episode of Survivor to vote Brendan out of the game.  Earlier today, we had the pleasure of speaking to Brendan about Survivor, his gameplay, Coach Benjamin Wade and what Brendan has planned for the future (spoiler - it involves burritos).

Brendan discussed at length the circumstances in which last night's vote went down.  He thinks that, despite all of Coach's proclamations, it was mostly Tyson orchestrating the blindside.  He was suspicious this might have been happening and said that the vibe at Forza had become toxic in the five days after the merge occured, and everyone was out for everyone.

If he had to do it over, Brendan would have been more open about having the hidden immunity idol early on and, obviously, would have used the idol last night.  He contends that he was totally sincere with JT on last night's episode and that he would have taken him to the final two if he had it his way.  That JT chose to side with Tyson and Coach instead of him was understandable to Brendan, because he and JT had just gotten to know each other.

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/survivor/exclusive-interview-brendan-sy-27865.aspx?pollid=3002210&answer=3007792#poll3002210

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 11:03:44 AM »
Blindsides and Betrayal with Brendan Synnott of Survivor Tocantins

After Jalapao tribe member, Joe Dowdle, was airlifted out of Brazil last week due to an injury as the tribes merged on Survivor Tocantins, the deceptive action heated up in a big way when the Tocantins game continued and Brendan and Coach took center Survivor stage. After spending nine days on Exile Island, Brendan found himself in an awkward position after the merge when J.T. and Stephen held strong and used their sweet-talking smarts around camp to form new alliances. But this week marked a turning point for Survivor Tocantins in that the power of the game clearly shifted toward Tyson and Coach.

Down on Survivor numbers, with an Exile alliance with Taj falling by the Tocantins wayside, Brendan came out the victor in a reward challenge to go whitewater rafting that Coach was salivating over. Brendan's whitewater reward victory not only twisted a knife in Coach's hopes but also allowed for time to get to know J.T., as Brendan picked his ex-Jalapao foe to go along for the adventure with he and Sierra to try and win him over into a new alliance. But this week's episode of Survivor Tocantins was as unpredictable as you'll see on Survivor as Tyson and Stephen's three day old plan remained intact to hedge the bets on the Tribal votes to see either Brendan or Sierra leave the game.

Although Brendan made an impressive, last minute charge down the Survivor field into Coach's territory, he was blindsided (Ray Lewis and Lawrence Taylor style) when Tyson, Coach and Stephen had the votes in a tie between Sierra, Brendan, and Coach before only Sierra and Brendan were left and the entrepreneur from New York City, Brendan, was sent packing despite having the hidden immunity idol in his back pocket.

[Survivor Tocantins CBS] The next morning we caught up with former Survivor Tocantins tribe member Brendan Synnot to find out what went wrong and why he didn't get along with Coach near the end, who told one of the most ear-popping stories in Survivor history.

THE DEADBOLT: So how does it feel to be slain by the dragon slayer?

BRENDAN SYNNOTT: [laughs] I am so proud to be partnered with probably one of the better nicknames, I think, in Survivor history, and part of Coach’s master plan. Oh, no, it wasn’t his plan. It was Tyson that really got me voted off.

THE DEADBOLT: Well, how good did it feel to take that whitewater rafting reward away from him?

BRENDAN: Oh, that was so beautiful, especially because you know he talked so much about his kayak story, which I really don’t believe. And so he talked about how he can dominate the river and he wanted to run the rapids so badly, and to be able to go and take that away from him was, now, particularly really gratifying.

THE DEADBOLT: Yeah, it was a pretty nice burn.

[Survivor Tocantins CBS] BRENDAN: Thank you.

THE DEADBOLT: Even though you were confident that you were safe at Tribal Council, why did you feel that you had to answer Jeff’s question and reveal that you had one of the hidden idols?

BRENDAN: I think at that point in the game, one of the things that put a target on my back was the fact that I’d been to Exile so often. And because of that, because I was there so often, I thought it would make a target on my back. And I thought that was a perfect opportunity just to come out and come clean with it, and be like, ‘Listen guys, I have it,’ because I was confident in the Exile alliance that, at that point, if we voted one more person off, the Exile alliance could’ve taken control.

THE DEADBOLT: So do you remember Coach’s ultra rare meditation technique?

BRENDAN: I do not remember the name of it. Although, I’ve replicated everything I saw Coach do on the show and I’ve incorporated that into my life, because I want to be like Coach.

THE DEADBOLT: What do you think Sierra has to do now to save her skin?

[Survivor Tocantins CBS] BRENDAN: To me, the way I see Sierra is very similar to the way I see Jalapao overall in terms of coming into the game. You know, since the merge, Jalapao basically just morphed into whatever Timbira wanted to have happen and they went along with it. And I think Sierra needs to do the same thing in order to stay alive. There’s a great opportunity for people that are at the bottom of the rung to kind of cling onto some other folks. You just don’t want to be at the top.

THE DEADBOLT: What sparked the antagonistic feelings between you and Coach? What didn’t we see?

BRENDAN: I actually didn’t have a lot of antagonistic feelings. I didn’t necessarily like how he treated some of the women on the show. I didn’t think that was real cool. I also didn’t like how he would talk a big game and then not step up around camp or in the reward or immunity challenges. But other than that I just thought Coach was just, overall, pretty amusing. I didn’t have any hatred for the guy. I just thought he was living in his own world.

THE DEADBOLT: Knowing what you know now, who would you choose from both tribes, at full strength, to make a dream team alliance?

[Survivor Tocantins CBS] BRENDAN: I think J.T. would’ve been awesome. Then, from my own tribe, Sierra was totally loyal to me. She had my back from the start. The only problem with Sierra was that she would run her mouth every once in a while and that would get her in a bit of trouble. But other than that, those two are probably my picks. I thought Taj was awesome, too. I thought we had a good bond, especially considering both of our backgrounds, and I was a little sad she kind of bailed on me.

THE DEADBOLT: What’s the one thing you shouldn’t do while playing Survivor?

BRENDAN: Trust anybody!

THE DEADBOLT: What’s it going to take to vote Coach off?

BRENDAN: I don’t think that Coach is really well liked by everybody so I think it’s just about the right opportunity and the right time. You know, Coach isn’t that big of a physical threat. So it’s not that scary to take him deep into the game. I think that it’s just a matter of when it makes sense. Coach, to me, I thought was relatively benign. So it’s somebody you want to have in your alliance.

http://www.thedeadbolt.com/news/105636/survivor_tocantins_brendan_interview.php

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 12:19:21 PM »
Click on link to sign up to get a coupon for a free evol burrito marketed by Brendan...

http://www.evolburritos.com/

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 12:31:51 PM »
The tribe blindsides Brendan on Survivor

Backstabbing ran rampant in Brazil on the latest episode of Survivor: Tocantins. Entrepreneur Brendan Synnott tried everything he could to convince his tribe to vote out Coach. And it seemed like everyone was on the same page. "Basically everyone said they were going to go along with my plan," Brendan tells In Touch. But he soon learned that on Survivor, nothing is ever as it seems. "As soon as people start agreeing with your plan, you should know you're going home." When Brendan neglected to play his hidden Immunity Idol, he became the latest member of the Forza tribe to have his torch extinguished.

What was your first impression of Brazil?
Brendan: I thought it was stunning. It was a really pretty place. We were there starting in the dry season and it moved over into the rainy season. So to see the whole landscape transform from a tan/orange color to a beautiful green landscape was pretty cool.

Did tribe life change after the merge?
Brendan: I had so much fun until we got to the merge. As soon as we became Forza, I got a big knot in my stomach because the environment got so toxic. Everyone was just out for themselves and manipulating everybody and lying to everybody. It just wasn't as fun.

Were you surprised that your former Timbira tribe mates turned on you?
Brendan: I never trusted Tyson and I didn't really trust Coach, but I guess I should have been more aware of it. But they really wanted to come after me immediately. The fact that I was on Exile Island so much and potentially had the Immunity Idol, gave them a reason to talk to the rest of the tribe about why I should be gone.

Why didn't you play your Immunity Idol?
Brendan: I don't know. I'm still trying to figure that out. I actually just wanted to keep it as a necklace. No! I'm totally joking.

I was going to say, that's an expensive necklace!
Brendan: No, I thought I was okay with the exile folks.

Who should have gone home?
Brendan: I deserved it because I was playing like an idiot! With Survivor, a lot of people think that if you're athletic or smart you should win, but there are so many factors that go into it.

What was the hardest part of surviving in Brazil for 24 days?
Brendan: The hardest part, for me, was Exile Island. That's a lot harder than they make it look on TV. Exile is no joke and I was on Exile Island for nine of the first 12 days. That was pretty tough. It's also the lack of sleep. The lack of food and water you can deal with, but day after day of not sleeping right really started to wear on me.

Would you do it all over again?
Brendan: Absolutely.

What are you doing now?
Brendan: I am in the midst of working on a burrito business based out of Boulder, Colorado. I'm in the process of launching it now. We're actually giving away 50,000 free burritos on evolburritos.com. The offer is good either until Coach gets kicked off the show or the show ends.

http://www.intouchweekly.com/2009/04/the_tribe_blindsides_brendan.php

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 08:45:35 PM »
The offer is good either until Coach gets kicked off the show or the show ends.

:funny: Soon enough i guess. :funny:

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 11:11:10 AM »
Brendan: The Day After

Posted by CBS