The Amazing Race > The Amazing Race Discussion

The shoving incident...

(1/8) > >>

Coutzy:
I bet you never thought you'd see a title like that without it involving Jonathan and Victoria.

Here's my take:

Let's begin with the hair salon. I think both teams are at fault here. Both teams basically stood on the cluebox, and couldn't find it (Fran and Barry award contenders there.) When both teams saw the cluebox, they ran for it, naturally. Luke got there first, and Jen attempted to grab a clue while he held the box open (We've seen it 3 or 4 times a season, nothing new there.) Here is where it gets a bit tricky to interpret. As Jen reached for a clue, Luke moved his body and raised his left arm to try and clear some space for himself. I believe Luke was caught by suprise upon seeing Jen come up from behind him and that he put his arm up by reflex. Jen did not have a right to get angry for that, since there was no malicious intent in the action.

Next we have the Roadblock clue box. For me this one is a bit clearer. Kisha (Or Jen, I'll have to rewatch that) was obviously at the box first, and Luke barrelled into the back of them. Had the incident at the hair salon not happened, I think this would have gone no further after a simple apology on Luke's part. Unfortunately for all involved, Margie decided to start yelling at Kisha and Jen because she felt that Luke had done nothing wrong. Bad things happen when mothers get involved.

Incident number 3: That long awaited mat meltdown.

This one I'm going to have to rewatch over and over again before coming to conclusions, but here's what I have so far.

At the mat Kisha and Jen were calmy explaining their side of the story, which was fine. Kisha and Jen did not yell, they did not point, they did not accuse Margie or Luke of anything. They simply stated what had happened, from their point of view. Margie and Luke had a side discussion at this point and Margie (Very intelligently) told Luke not to say anything. Bad things happen when people speak in anger.

When Kisha and Jen had finished, Luke attempted to explain it his way as best he could for people who can't sign. Kisha and Jen smiled in the middle of this (This is a normal reaction for some people in times of conflict.) Luke took this completely the wrong way and thought that Kisha and Jen were laughing at him for not being able to hear. How he came to that conclusion I don't know, and probably never will know. This, again, got worse when Margie got involved and in trying to protect her son, she started the screaming. Bringing up Kisha and Jen's "Black-ness" as a weapon in the debate. It gets very hazy at this point, with a lot of back and forth from both sides. Somewhere in the middle Phil manages to get a word in edgeways and tries to mellow the situation. The end result is Kisha and Jen trying to explain that they smile and laugh when people are mad, and they meant nothing untoward by it.

Feel free to weigh in with opinions, but lets keep it articulate, eh?

Dånooky:
I believe it was just due to a lot of stress and misinterpretation. I think the first "bitch" wasn't just a reaction to the first cluebox smack, but it had also to do with the fact K&J thought M/L's cab driver gave them bad directions the previous legs, so they were a little mad at them from beforehand. All in all, both teams over-reacted

TexasLady:
FWIW, I thought more of Jen and Kisha after this incident and a lot less of Margie and Luke. Someone mentioned that Luke not being able to hear, didn't know that Jen was coming up next to him. That could well be. However I would think that because of his hearing loss, his other senses might be heightened and he would sense someone coming, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps he was raising the clue box lid and didn't mean to hit her. No harm, and not malicious.

Next the roadblock incident. Another accident, they both were running, momentum carried Luke into Jen. But I think he could have diffused it if he had said sorry or made a gesture. It wasn't diffused and only made things worse.

The biggest problem was the meltdown on the mat. It seemed to my hubby and I that Margie and Luke feel entitled to special consideration because he is deaf, and Margie (for me) showed that this has been an issue that both she and Luke have nurtured for a very long time and it all boiled up confronting Jen and Kisha. We didn't hear the sisters laughing, but they did smile. Who can know what was the cause of the smile. I thought they acted well considering.

If Luke wants to show what deaf people can do then do it! Don't walk off like a child, deal with the problems as they occur and don't expect your mom to take care of it. Margie should let her son grow up. He caused the problem in the first place because evidently he hasn't learned people skills and he badly needs to learn them now. I think Margie encouraged Luke to be resentful and upset. I realize the stress of the race and being tired can cause mistakes but I believe it also can show something else, something that isn't always nice to see, the inner soul.

Snooky:

--- Quote from: cdfe88 on April 20, 2009, 02:44:14 PM ---I believe it was just due to a lot of stress and misinterpretation. I think the first "bitch" wasn't just a reaction to the first cluebox smack, but it had also to do with the fact K&J thought M/L's cab driver gave them bad directions the previous legs, so they were a little mad at them from beforehand. All in all, both teams over-reacted

--- End quote ---
I highly agree with you cdfe, I do not want to say too much, because I do not want to take either side.  I am just gonna root for Tammy and Victor now.
 :groan:

puddin:
I'm not taking sides seeing as in real life they are all friends no matter what happened on the race .. its just a game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version