Author Topic: TAR14 EP10: Having a Baby’s Gotta Be Easier Than This (China)  (Read 115578 times)

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
Re: TAR14 EP10: Having a Baby’s Gotta Be Easier Than This (China)
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2009, 11:33:40 PM »
^^ o_O

Anyway, i'm hoping the last place team on a NEL stop getting eliminated for this season. LOL, if not the NEL serves no purpose.

And i'm starting to miss the Fast Forward. :(
Joab,

Here are some purposes that NELs serve:
1. to trigger a Marked for Elimination penalty. Some of these (Christie/Jodi in AR14 or Dustin/Kandice in AR10 or David/Mary in Madagascar) result in eliminations and others like David/Mary at Kuwait City in AR10 do not.
2. if we are talking Amazing Race Asia then the alternative of a "lose all your money" penalty is still used
3. most importantly, to enable World Race Productions to have more than 9 legs for a 11 team race. Without the NEL of TBC, that is not possible. I think we would all say that more legs in an Amazing Raceare better than fewer.

askip, i do know what the NEL serves as for TAR, thanks. My POV for the post above was that the NEL will serve no purpose for the team in last place because it is supposed to help the team advance further, and not remain in the same placing.

I agree with you there! Non-elims need to be easier to overcome. It seems like this season no matter how well the non-elim'd team starts to perform on the next leg, they suddenly fall to the bottom like a rock and just stay there, finishing last and getting eliminated. Take Christie & Jodi on leg 6 as an example of this annoying phenomenon.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2009, 11:46:02 PM »
I think that this season, they really had a chance to survive, but:

1. Christie/Jodi's taxi took them miles in the wrong direction, so had their taxi taken them to the right direction, they'd have survived.
2. I really can't pinpoint Mark/Michael's reasons for the loss, but I think 2-hour penalties the previous leg help cost them the Race. Had one of those penalties not been incurred, they'd have been on the same flight as Kisha/Jen & they'd be bunched up. After that, who knows.
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #152 on: April 25, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
Cara and Jaime will then be eliminated most probably. Mark and Michael said in an interview that they were only 30mins+ behind the girls.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2009, 12:14:26 AM »
It is very interesting to think that  (as someone mentioned upstream), that had C/J switched detours and gone off to do calligraphy, they could have well been eliminated.  Hope they make a little headway this week!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2009, 12:16:54 AM »
I am thinking right now that had Christie/Jodi's driver taken them to the right place, our Final 4 could've been Margie/Luke, Tammy/Victor, Kisha/Jen & Christie/Jodi (Mark/Michael in 7th, Mel/Mike in 6th, Jaime/Cara in 5th).

Anyways, are there any other known tasks aside from the supposed swimming/diving Detour & the massage Roadblock?
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline hakushu8

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2009, 06:14:56 AM »
2. I really can't pinpoint Mark/Michael's reasons for the loss, but I think 2-hour penalties the previous leg help cost them the Race. Had one of those penalties not been incurred, they'd have been on the same flight as Kisha/Jen & they'd be bunched up. After that, who knows.

Also, it would've been Kisha/Jen who would do the Speed Bump. And since everyone saw the Speed Bump sign but not the cluebox, no meltdowns would've occurred. So... thanks Mark/Michael for getting those penalties! :snicker:
just dance
~*~
I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2009, 06:21:47 AM »
Off topic, but are there any spoilers yet for Beijing 2? And what do ya'll think about spending 3 legs in one country?
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2009, 06:52:13 AM »
This photo appears to me to be the 3m(10ft) paralled diving boards used in sychronized diving. It is a "team" diving event, which makes sense for a detour task. Since Kisha and Jen are near the end of both boards at the same time, I think it would be reasonable to assume that they are going to attempt to do a sychronized dive. So it is possible that the detour is 1) swim a 400m relay, or 2) do some number of sychronized dives.

From wikipedia:
Synchronized diving is an Olympic sport. Brought to the Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia in 2000, the diving event features two divers who attempt to perform identical or mirrored dives. For example, if one diver were performing a forward dive in the pike position, the other diver would perform either an identical forward dive or an inward dive in the pike position, which mirrors its motions. The event is judged by three separate panels consisting of nine judges total, one panel (of two judges) for each diver and one panel (of five judges) to judge the synchronization of the dives. This means that if both divers make identical errors in performance of their dive, they may still attain high scores from the synchronization judges.

I really have a hard time imagining someone that has difficulty swimming to being able to get up on a 3m(10ft) diving board and actually doing a dive, much less doing it in sync with a partner. In that picture, neither Kisha or Jen are even at the end of the board. In the Olympics, the women have to do 5 dives. If the make the swimmers swim 400m, a full event, then I really wonder if they will make them do the whole 5 dives and which dives will they be required to do. I doubt that they would be all that strict on the judging. It will be interesting to see the sequence of events that Kisha/Jen did at the pool.
Matthew 7:15

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #158 on: April 25, 2009, 07:48:51 AM »
Dr. Rox, your summary of synchorinzed diving is pretty good, but it is the Men's event that you cite the rules for. The Women's event is slightly different on number of judges and how many judges are focusing on what. Do you think it will be the Men's rules or the Women's rules that World Race Productions will try to model?

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #159 on: April 25, 2009, 10:40:23 AM »
I think they'll attempt it, but with Jen's fear of heights they'll switch and do the other Detour.

BTW, this would be a great place to have the U-Turn.

Belle Book

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2009, 01:52:58 PM »
This is all that we get new from the golf insert .. sorry

Cara at the pool and Jamie, I assume from the other screen caps, reaction to Cara getting the foot massage.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2009, 02:40:14 PM »
Either t
This is all that we get new from the golf insert .. sorry

Cara at the pool and Jamie, I assume from the other screen caps, reaction to Cara getting the foot massage.
Or she's covering her nose from all of the foot odor. :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2009, 08:20:07 PM »
Maybe the swim caps explain why their hair isn't wet when they're at the Roadblock -- assuming that the Detour is before the Roadblock, of course.

Belle Book

NoluckBoston

« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2009, 09:09:39 PM »
And yet still no Tammy and Victor.

Something must be up.

If you think about it. We have several shots of the racers all indoors. So even if Tammy and Victor were so far ahead or behind that it would mean the difference in outdoor lighting. How would we know? We only see indoor shots. One would think that CBS would still show shots of them at the various tasks.

Lets just say there was a fast forward left. We would most likely still see a shot of them in the previews.

I am thinking that something bad happens in route to Beijing. Either it is an non-elimination and they get that TK and Rachel edit, or they are eliminated and just pushed quickly to the mat to get Philiminated. 

Thoughts?

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2009, 09:25:53 PM »
According to the timeline, they're all supposed to get on the same flight to Beijing.  Maybe . . . a bad cab?

ETA: Or maybe a ill-advised risk on an earlier flight the detectives didn't find out about that didn't pay off?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 09:31:45 PM by Ashe »
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #165 on: April 25, 2009, 09:27:53 PM »
I think it's very likely that Tammy & Victor finish last this time. I'm not sure why they would neglect the last team on a non-elim, though. All I can say is, even though I know what the ignorance means, I'm having a hard time believing it could be true. Maybe something bad does happen to them. :ascared
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2009, 10:23:13 PM »
According to the timeline, they're all supposed to get on the same flight to Beijing.  Maybe . . . a bad cab?

ETA: Or maybe a ill-advised risk on an earlier flight the detectives didn't find out about that didn't pay off?

Ashe:
If you can find any ill-adivsed flights from Guilin to Beijing, speak up. I can't find anything that beats the existing flights specified by me and by Neobie. I have relooked at nonstop to Beijing(which was covered in my previous work that you can see in the latest Timeline), connecting through Hong Kong, connecting through Shanghai and connecting through Shenzhen. Through Shenzhen there are no nonstops except for 3 bunched between 2215 and 2250 departure, but a connecting flight to Beijing from Shenzhen does not make it before the nonstops Guilin to Beijing and there is little chance that any of the teams could catch a 2215 flight anyway after a 12 hour pit stop.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #167 on: April 25, 2009, 10:42:35 PM »
I just hope nothing Hannah/Margalit-esque happens to them.
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #168 on: April 25, 2009, 10:49:44 PM »
If Victor is reading this then hes probably wondering why you all don't have some faith in him and Tammy and is  most likely  >>>:word: :hhello:

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2009, 02:30:11 AM »
If Victor is reading this then hes probably wondering why you all don't have some faith in him and Tammy and is  most likely  >>>:word: :hhello:
Huh.  Sounds like Kisha & Jen are the ones who finish last instead, then.
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2009, 05:40:56 AM »

It's only us Tammy/Victor fans who still have faith in the team despite CBS showing NONE OF THEM the whole week. I do think too that CBS wouldn't make a blatantly obvious footage that they're screwed. Even TK and Rachel who had mishaps in Osaka were seen in the next on segment...

And I also think that Ron and Chris also had that edit during the last few legs of the race... we almost saw none of them too in previews... Also remember the spoiler that they do not make it to Taiwan or they're hopelessly last? It's kinda unbelievable in itself that an Asian team, who have been to specifically that place, know the language, Chinese by blood, screw up so badly in a leg like that while others who I suppose will have a lot of communication problems get ahead of them... They do have the edge, just like R/C...

Oh yeah, if they indeed ever read this... Hi Victor and Tammy!!!  :jumpy: :wohoo: :hearts: :hearts:

Just an observation... if the last team checking in at this NEL point gets eliminated the next leg, ALL speed bumps this leg eliminated all those who used it...

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 05:53:57 AM by Mooyou »
Account is awaiting approval for deletion (approved)

Offline realshowfan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Frantic Fanfic Fanatic!
« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2009, 05:57:06 AM »
Ooh...Imagine a leg has a Detour, and then Hours of Operation until the next day, and in that area, U-Turn. :o
This summer ※ The Amazing Race: ZBC // RSF
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,31363.0.html

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2009, 06:17:21 AM »
Ooh...Imagine a leg has a Detour, and then Hours of Operation until the next day, and in that area, U-Turn. :o

I don't think WRP would be doing such a thing... All Stars had gotten out of proportions with their hellish Zanzibar leg, I don't think they'd want that to happen again...

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2009, 06:57:30 AM »
Mooyou above stated:
Just an observation... if the last team checking in at this NEL point gets eliminated the next leg, ALL speed bumps this leg eliminated all those who used it...

Mooyou, perhaps it has scaped your notice that ALL teams getting the Speed Bump start the next leg in last place. Geting out of last place typically requires a more than 30 minute gain since Speed Bumps ususally are about 30 minutes including transportation.

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2009, 07:12:02 AM »
Mooyou above stated:

Mooyou, perhaps it has scaped your notice that ALL teams getting the Speed Bump start the next leg in last place. Geting out of last place typically requires a more than 30 minute gain since Speed Bumps usually are about 30 minutes including transportation.

What I meant was all the teams spared by a non elimination leg got eliminated in their next leg when they had to do the Speed Bump. S13 saw Ken and Tina and Dandrew escape the horrors of the Speed Bump, while S12 had TK and Rachel escaping it and eventually winning. Sorry for the misinformation...

And yeah, all teams who actually survived their leg with a speedbump ended up in first, second or third place and gets to complete the whole race even.