Author Topic: American Idol Final 8 Performance Discussion  (Read 13653 times)

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
American Idol Final 8 Performance Discussion
« on: April 08, 2009, 10:13:01 AM »
Where to start? I'm not exactly impressed with the performances we saw last night, mostly I felt let down, shouldn't we be seeing better performances by now?

Top performance? Adam without a doubt. Every week he surprises me.

I liked Matt's Part Time Lover. LOL at Paula, two words, "Standing O."

Danny: Hated part of it, liked part of it, but it was just OK overall.

Kris: I hope he stays, but he has got to do better than this performance. Another just OK performance for me.

Lil: It's time for her to go. She's not going to get better. I am not sure what type of music she should perform but she's not finding it. I had such hopes for her, she's beautiful but....

Anoop: First of all another week of horrible lighting. Who picks the lighting effects? Whoever it is hates Anoop. Maybe it's the stylist, green stripes and red background? Thankfully they did change the lighting towards the end of his performance but it didn't matter, first impression was awful. Judges liked Anoop's performance but I didn't.

Scott: Started well but downhill after that. I didn't care for the guitar I agree with Simon, go back to the piano. If he doesn't leave this week, he will go soon. He just can't get any better. This is the best he can do.

Allison: She's an original. She's sixteen and stays true to her self. Kudos for that. A friend made the comment to me that Simon saying she needs to be more likeable was meant for her audience. I see her in the final three if not the final 2.

Who will be in the bottom three? Lil, Scott and Anoop. Hopefully not Kris Allen. 

What do Y'all think?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 10:46:21 AM by TexasLady »
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
Re: American Idol Final 8 Performance Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 12:41:40 PM »
Love your observations, TexasLady! =)

Danny Gokey - Basically, Simon summed it all up. The beginning was good, middle was lazy, end was terrific. I didn't particularly LOVE the performance, it's just another good, steady one. Oh, I just wish to mention that I hated his clip. It's just too egotistical in my opinion. While other contestants shared more about how they were when they were young, all he said was, "My parents were like, he can sing!" Uh...

Kris Allen - That was a totally wrong song choice. It's such a safe and forgettable song with such boring and repetitive lyrics... I hate to say this but just one wrong song choice could just jeopardise the entire competition for him. I think he's in big trouble tonight, sadly.

Lil Rounds - I just feel so bad for her. Week after week she's not choosing the right songs and week after week gets slammed by the judges. She  must be feeling really bad, but I have to say I'm rather disappointed. I've been looking forward to seeing some stellar performance for her but she hasn't delivered. We'll see if America still gives her another chance. If she survives this week and impresses next week, I stick to my original prediction that she'll go very far. But if she survives and doesn't impress, another week should be all she can last.

Anoop Desai - Well I thought it was much better than last week, but it wasn't fantastic. I mean, haven't we seen Anoop do the same thing two and three weeks back? While I thought it was a sincere delivery, he could be in trouble for being "boring". Hmm.

Scott MacIntyre - I didn't know he plays the guitar, but I thought the guitar was rather redundant. The song was indeed too big for him but I'll agree with Kara, I do give him credit for stepping out of his comfort zone. And I just love the "my punk side is coming up" LOL!

Allison Iraheta - I loved it, loved how she controlled the song so well, loved how she sang her heart out. I do agree with Simon about her likeability factor, as can be seen how often she's been in the bottom three even though her performances weren't terrible. I think it all boils down to what Simon said the first time we saw her, that she comes across as boring.

Matt Giraud - Matt is back! Four words. Cool, charismatic, mad vocals. No doubt one of my favourites of the night.

Adam Lambert - The judges' standing ovation says it all. My favourite of the night and what can I say, he's just been impressing me so much week after week. It's always a joy anticipating what he'll do next. It was a very stellar moment in my opinion, right from the lighting to the singing. I really hope Adam wins, hee.

My ranking:
1. Adam Lambert
2. Allison Iraheta
3. Matt Giraud
4. Danny Gokey
5. Anoop Desai
6. Scott MacIntyre
7. Lil Rounds
8. Kris Allen

My predicted bottom three: Kris, Scott, Lil

I really don't think any of my top 5 should go tonight. I don't wish for Kris to go either but well... Anoop could take Lil's place in the bottom three, but we'll see about it soon. Meanwhile, I have a feeling Kris leaves. =(
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 02:14:07 PM »
My ranking:
1. Adam Lambert
2. Allison Iraheta
3. Matt Giraud
4. Danny Gokey
5. Anoop Desai
6. Scott MacIntyre
7. Lil Rounds
8. Kris Allen

I like your rankings Ruth, except I would put Kris up a little higher.  :-*

My ranking:
1. Adam Lambert
2. Allison Iraheta
3. Matt Giraud
4. Danny Gokey
5. Anoop Desai
6. Kris Allen
7. Scott McIntyre
8. Lil Rounds

(Anoop and Kris are about equal for me.)

I really hope Kris doesn't go home tonight but he well could. If he does, I really hope Lil can find a song that will show us that she CAN sing something great!

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 03:40:26 PM »
tl i agree with u r rankings except i would switch lil and scott.

danny needs to put some more emotion in his songs and he would be right up there with adam, i wonder if danny is afariad of loosing it  :'( :'( over his wife in front of every one jmo. i don't no how he is still standing up right bless his heart he has my vote for just showing up each week..
adam has a theater bk ground and it shows and i love it, the way he changes it up every week he is realy good. i also like alson and i don't get y ppl would not like her (i think i had teens for to long) my kids would love her, maby it is bc the teen girl that r watching r voteing for the boys and simon no's she needs some of our votes the over 30 crowed i am being kind lol i am 51..

i think kris is soo cute he might stay in on looks alone has no one else noticed his brad pit jaw line.. omg just look at him and think brad pit 20 yrs ago..

i like the way annoop sings the slower songs and the whole true colors thing might be y the lighting was all crazy last night :duno:, i cringed when i heard he was singing that but i like the way he did it a lot..

scott needs to go this week if vftw doesn't have him on there raider that i think he will i listen to like 4 lines in that song anf ff the rest..i can't watch a train wreck sry

so my ranking is

adam
allison
danny
matt
anoop
kris
lil
scott
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 04:29:09 PM »
We are all pretty close and I think tonight will be a tossup as to who leaves. We'll find out in a few hours!  :tup:

VFTW isn't doing so well this year and I think they have lost a lot of their effectiveness if they ever had any, they MIGHT save Scott tonight but they can't save him for long.  :lol:

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 09:10:41 PM »
i saw chris richardson my american idol and avi, on american idol in the audance tonight he was right be hind paula :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 09:12:53 PM »
i saw chris richardson my american idol and avi, on american idol in the audance tonight he was right be hind paula :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

You have sharp eyes Tory!!!  :tup: I missed him!  :(

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 09:24:50 PM »
Final 7, Scott sent home.

The bottom three were called out in this order: Lil, Scott and Anoop. After Kellie Pickler sang, Lil was sent back to the couch, she was safe.

Ryan tells us that thirty four million votes were cast last night and only thirty thousand votes separated Anoop and Scott. Anoop got the news that he was safe and Scott sang while the judges debated. Two for keeping him, Paula and Kara, two against. With the votes tied, Simon said he would be the tie breaker and Scott was sent home.

Was he the right one to go this time? Or should it have been Lil. Can she find the right song for next week and show us why she is in the top 10?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 09:30:27 AM by TexasLady »

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 10:37:01 AM »
i can spot him a mile away lol.
one day me and a friend went to the mall and we parked and were walking up to a store and i stoped in the middle of the road and started going that is chris rich's car , that is chris and my friend was yanking on me going u r going to get hit and i was like that is chris and she was like i don't care who it is he all most hit u as she was draging me into the mall.. it was so funny.. i said chris could run me ver any time she was u r nutz..lol

i was glade scott went last night , lil needs one more week she has to make a come bk she can sing i am not sure y she is pulling bk so much??

oh i just relized i called it scott going home , :waves: :waves:
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 10:45:42 AM »
i can spot him a mile away lol.
one day me and a friend went to the mall and we parked and were walking up to a store and i stoped in the middle of the road and started going that is chris rich's car , that is chris and my friend was yanking on me going u r going to get hit and i was like that is chris and she was like i don't care who it is he all most hit u as she was draging me into the mall.. it was so funny.. i said chris could run me ver any time she was u r nutz..lol

i was glade scott went last night , lil needs one more week she has to make a come bk she can sing i am not sure y she is pulling bk so much??

oh i just relized i called it scott going home , :waves: :waves:

:lol: Glad you didn't get hit Tory! You did call it! Ruth and I didn't see it coming. Didn't see Anoop in the bottom three either.

I really hope that Lil finds a great song and sings her heart out! I have been thinking she could be an actress/singer, maybe this will be her breakout week. She has nothing to lose at this point.

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 01:01:49 PM »
Yeah TexasLady, I didn't see Scott going either. But all in all, I'm pleased with the results. I really like Scott, I admire him a lot but I guess his time is up. People like Lil, we know she has it in her but it's somehow hidden and hasn't come up (it better come up soon lol). Kris, he had a bad song choice. Whereas for Scott, I don't think he could have done much more in terms of originality and versatility. Of course, this is only my opinion. And I was glad the judges didn't use their Save on him either, reason listed above. If I were the judges, I'd only use the save on Danny, Adam or Allison.

Much as I didn't like Kris' performance last night and was surprised that he wasn't in the bottom three, I'm very glad that he has another shot. And this just proves how much people love him. This is one underdog that could really surprise us!

Right now, I'm thinking that if Lil still doesn't impress, she and Anoop will most probably be the next ones out. Matt, Kris and Allison should be somewhere in the middle. And I guess it's clear that Danny and Adam are the ones to beat in terms of performance and fan-base. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they're the final two. It's gonna be so exciting.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 01:17:19 PM »
I'm not upset either, it was bound to happen to Scott soon. Anoop isn't getting the votes and Lil is criticized no matter what she does. I just want to see her bang it out of the park!

I'm thinking that Matt is moving up, he's certainly improving but I agree with you Ruth, Matt, Kris and Allison are in the middle. It IS getting exciting!  :jumpy:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 11:20:25 PM »
I'm just really impressed that all the Final 10 had their good moments at least.

Michael did well on the Top 13 show.
Scott did well on the Top 9 show
Megan did well on one episode as well I think.

Compared to past seasons where we had to really endure weird and bad singing weeks after weeks from the same contestant. (COUGH SANJAYA COUGH)

Season 8 could be in the running for the best season ever. Although it looks like Adam is for sure going to win this, but you never know where Danny may came up from behind. Or whether Allison starts picking up votes and do a Kelly Clarkson. Or even Lil finding her ground and start doing her thing. Even Kris, Anoop and Matt has a decent chance of winning this. These 3 have had more good than bad weeks and although it means that one bad week might probably kill their chances, but I believe they still stand a chance to go pretty far as well.

My bold predictions -

FINAL 2
Adam
Danny

FINAL 4
Allison
Matt

FINAL 7
Lil
Kris
Anoop

If Anoop delivers next week, it might be either Matt or Kris going out. I guess Lil might be in danger if she doesn't deliver next week. My next elimination for Final 7 should be a toss up between Lil, Kris or Anoop.

And Kris, who would have thought?? Everyone thought it was a shock he got into the Top 12. And here he is at the Top 7, garnering a huge fan base and even as the most likable contestant on Idol ever and impressing everyone with his amazing vocals.

I'm rooting for Allison all the way no matter what. I really really like her. :wohoo:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 10:16:21 AM »
Welcome back Joab!!  :-*

I can't disagree with your final 4 at all. It COULD be Allison and Adam final 2 but she would have to find a bigger fan base than she has now. She's on the path for stardom anyway so she will do fine no matter what.

Kris has been a big surprise for me and he gets better and better and the same with Matt.  I wish that Alexis Grace had been able to stay a little longer so we could have seen if she had been able to progress as well.

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 11:50:34 AM »
i realy love this season, it is allmost as good as season 6 the cough sanjay cough season, i am glad kris has risn from the asses, he is soo cute i think he looks like brad pitt lol..jmo i realy like the dervesity of the ppl left, i new scott was going last week and u r right joab he did have a good week jmo when he sang the bruce hornsby song. but he realy fell flat after that i ff trew most of his song last week. i realy wishlil would pull out the old lil i think when they get with the voice couches it gets in there heads a little at frist it is realy hard to prosess the info they give u and some times it gets bad before it gets good again, my daughter and i were watching the utube of felica barton last night  and the song she sang on idol no one was the song that some one put on utub when she was in her element at the beach and a club she sings in and her voice was 10 x better than when she was on idol.
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 12:55:33 PM »
If Allison and Adam are in the final two, it's gonna be the most amazing finale EVER for me. But nah, I think it should be Danny and Adam in the finale. And it's too early to predict that Adam wins I guess. He's been getting too much attention, Simon giving him a standing ovation, Paula specifically mentioning him on the last result show. It's bound to make fans of other contestants vote way, way harder. Eg. Danny fans. So... Anything could happen. But the most probable people who could win this show are Matt, Danny and Adam.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 03:16:40 PM »
 :funny: Tory!
i realy love this season, it is allmost as good as season 6 the cough sanjay cough season
Sanjaya was a nice kid.. and we always could depend on a new look for the hair, my all time favorite the fauxhawk.  Season 6 had Melinda and Lakisha, loved them both!

Ruth I have a friend who loves AI and she thinks it's better not to be the AI because it causes more harm than good for the winner, so she's hoping Adam doesn't win. Like Chris Daughtry, who was eliminated about 4th place. She has a point.

I'm conflicted. Adam is so far above the others that I can't see him not winning but as you say it might get the fans of Matt and Danny, Allison voting more.

Whatever happens, it's going to be exciting!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 03:50:39 PM by TexasLady »

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 03:59:58 PM »
texas u r right i don't no what season u r friend was in but 19 e get's first pick on the top 12 now..it is in there contracts, i am sure it was not in there when chris did not win, or if it was they passed. i no ace had to wait 5 yrs to put out a cd and that was this yr, was he in dautrys season?? they kept chris up in the air for a while i no timberlin was going to sign him, and i no he is signed now but i am pretty sure it is not with 19e. he was in the aud wed ng and i no he is out there recording  :duno: :duno:

and i loved the fohawk sanjay made my mom happy so i love him for that she was tone deff, but she loved him more than chris even though she never told me..lol the last motherday present i gave her was a cd mix of chris and sanjaya i put a pic of chris on one side and the most beautiful pic of a dogwood tree i took on the other. she loved it..
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 04:50:50 PM »
texas u r right i don't no what season u r friend was in but 19 e get's first pick on the top 12 now..it is in there contracts, i am sure it was not in there when chris did not win, or if it was they passed. i no ace had to wait 5 yrs to put out a cd and that was this yr, was he in dautrys season?? they kept chris up in the air for a while i no timberlin was going to sign him, and i no he is signed now but i am pretty sure it is not with 19e. he was in the aud wed ng and i no he is out there recording  :duno: :duno:

and i loved the fohawk sanjay made my mom happy so i love him for that she was tone deff, but she loved him more than chris even though she never told me..lol the last motherday present i gave her was a cd mix of chris and sanjaya i put a pic of chris on one side and the most beautiful pic of a dogwood tree i took on the other. she loved it..

Daughtry was Season 5, my hubby and I went to see them when they came to Austin. It was a good season, Ace was in 5 as well as Kellie and Mandisa, Taylor Hicks won that year and he was not particularly good when we saw him. He might have been tired, it was the end of the tour and they added Austin in as another stop. Mandisa opened the show and she was amazing!

I didn't realize they make the contestants sign at top 12! I guess after Clay Aiken got out of his contract they tightened them up.  :ascared

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 03:23:57 AM »
I don't agree that the winner is doomed for sure, but i believe if you're one hell of a singer and likable recording artist, you're going to do fine no matter what. Look at Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood. :tup:

For some reason, i'm getting more hype up this season than season 7. Season 7 was all about the 2 Davids and other people were just randomly there. But season 8 was so much more different, everyone seems to be so different, in their own league, and it isn't necessarily Adam who's the best each week.. for example.. Kris and Matt coming up suddenly and giving the best performance of the night. Even Danny and Allison had very good weeks too.

All in all, i really like AI8. :D

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 07:06:05 AM »
u r right joab this is a great season.. :hearts: :hearts:
and tl i no what u mean about the last stops on the tour, those kids r put threw the ringer sining every night being on a bus when ther not sining, well they r young, i guess they can handel it..
kelly got out of her contract asap and u r right carrie is doing awsome winning the cma's and countless other awards omg she is one of my all time fav idols and i am not even a country music fann???
19 e takes a lot of libertys with the musice they let them put out and all so takes a big peice of the pie, that is y i have heard it is not great to sign with them..but they have the option to sign u or not unless u win and u have to b signed with them it is part of the prize. i think the good out wieghs the bad jmo when u sign with them though they realy get behind u if they love u..like carrie and kelly..rember carrie got a privated jet for a yr after the show now she can get her own jet, not a bad thing..
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 02:50:07 AM »
Well, I don't know why, but I loved most of the performances this week.

Performance Ranking:
1. Adam
2. Matt
3. Allison
4. Anoop
5. Danny
6. Kris
7. Lil
8. Scott

Overall Ranking:
1. Matt
2. Allison
3. Kris
4. Adam
5. Danny
6. Anoop
--------------------
7. Lil
8. Scott

So right now, if Lil goes next (unless she pulls off a Jennifer Hudson), I have no idea who could go next. I honestly think anyone (sans Danny & Adam) could go this week and anyone could win this season, given the right songs & growing fanbase. ;)
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 10:10:32 AM »
It's hard to say with the remaining singers which one might be in the bottom three isn't it. So much depends on what they find to sing this week and how they perform.

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 12:26:33 PM »
^ I agree, TexasLady. As the group gets smaller and the remaining ones are pretty good, it's hard to imagine who goes next, let alone who'll be in the bottom three. But my guess is that Danny and Adam will probably not be in the bottom three at all, and that Kris will be there soon.

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 09:57:41 AM »
kris has been in the bottom tree 2x i think and allison has been there way to many x.s jmo. i think annop willl go this week just based on the fact he has been in the bottom more than any one else that is left. it has been a real numbers thing this yr , and last week when ryan said that 30,000 votes seperated him and scott i am thinking a lot of those votes r going to be spread around and in my case after chris rich got the boot i stoped voteing, some ppl stop voteing after there person is gone.. :duno:
tv junky needs help!!!!!