Author Topic: TAR14 EP9: 'Our Parents Will Cry Themselves to Death' (China)  (Read 170393 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: TAR14 EP9: 'Our Parents Will Cry Themselves to Death' (China)
« Reply #375 on: April 20, 2009, 12:17:17 AM »
Oh God. The "fighting" third team?
dum dum dum dummmmmmmmmmm

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #376 on: April 20, 2009, 12:34:09 AM »
I see TARA in the lurker tray below! Don't think we forgot about you and the spoilers that you brought us! Thank you TARA! You truly rock! All the spoilers were good!  :jumpy: :jumpy:

Offline TARA

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #377 on: April 20, 2009, 12:34:49 AM »
William Shakespeare - "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark" should really be rewritten for Guilin. World Race Productions pulled some shady deals in this episode.

First is the 22 hour pit stop.
Second is not showing some kind of hours of operation. The first 4 teams would all have arrived in Guilin airport by midnight, with the delay on CZ3303 not putting Jaime/Cara and Victor/Tammy and Margie/Luke in much after Kisha/Jen on Shenzhen 9637. OK, so they have at least until after sunrise at 656am to do something. Since nothing is shown, they has to have been an unshown hours of operation halt. If not, then all teams would have arrived at the first clue box at the beauty salon at its opening and they clearly did not.
Third, the editors pulled their ususal stunts in attempting to make it look competitive for Mark/Michael. After being stradned overnight in Guanzhou airport they would not have left Guilin airport before 11am. I look to Chateau to provide some confirmation if possible, but I see no way(except really strange hours of operation) that Jaime/Cara would not have completed their ROADBLOCK and DETOURS before that.

I think they pulled out the task because the unexpected mat meltdown drama. otherwise they wont have enough time to show it. and I guess the unaired task didnt really make a difference of time between teams.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #378 on: April 20, 2009, 12:36:40 AM »
TARA  :waves:  :jumpy:

Offline TARA

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #379 on: April 20, 2009, 12:47:34 AM »
I see TARA in the lurker tray below! Don't think we forgot about you and the spoilers that you brought us! Thank you TARA! You truly rock! All the spoilers were good!  :jumpy: :jumpy:
hi pudding
thx for saying that
I got a remind from the system when replying the previous one saying someone had replied it u better take a look, didn't expect it's the greeting from you. thanks!

btw i come to visit here many times each week but was sort of diving (a chinese way expressing not logged in or not replying to any post)
I was looking for picture evidence but didn't get any lol . u guys did a great job veryfing everythin.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #380 on: April 20, 2009, 12:52:29 AM »
Right back at you TARA  :beer: :hfive:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #381 on: April 20, 2009, 12:56:19 AM »
Thanks TARA........thanks for the insight and hope to see you here again!!!!!!

:jam: :jam: :jam: :jam: :jam: :jam: :jam: :jam: :jam:
Matthew 7:15

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #382 on: April 20, 2009, 01:14:38 AM »

Is it in Jaime and Cara's insider videos??  :yess: if so...  else  :'(...
Oh yeah, the stress of the race de-beutifies Cara and Jaime though...  :'(
Account is awaiting approval for deletion (approved)

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #383 on: April 20, 2009, 01:29:40 AM »

What are you talking about?  It's clear, now that Mark & Michael are officially decoys, that Jaime & Cara are Margie & Luke are in the F3 together.  The "fighting" third team is clearly either Tammy & Victor regressing, or Kisha & Jen going back to fighting again.
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #384 on: April 20, 2009, 02:21:19 AM »
Another fine episode.  Yeah, the elimination was anticlimactic once it was definitely ensured that Mark & Michael would be going home, but guess what, people?  I wouldn't have had it any other way.  Boy, it'll be fun going back and watching my tape to see the two-week fall of Mark & Michael!

Anyway, the tasks.  I easily could've done the Roadblock, and I wouldn't have even tried Calligraphy at the Detour.  I'd have gone for Choreography just like Jaime & Cara did.  While it's usually smart to cut loose the Detours you can't do and go for the sure thing, they were smart to stick to their guns here.

Kisha & Jen: Great leg run by them, taxi troubles notwithstanding.  I wish they'd won the leg on their own, though, rather than piggybacking off Tammy & Victor's Chinese (good strategy, but not totally impressive).  That said, while I understood their anger at Margie & Luke, laughing at someone having a meltdown is way too passive-aggressive and is in very poor taste in ANY case.

Tammy & Victor: For a team who thought they'd have the advantage in terms of knowing the language and being Chinese, they sure did a poor job at actually winning the leg.  Good effort using their language skills, but poor at the Roadblock and not that good with the Detour, either.  Aside from all that, they really did just seem to be kind of . . . there this week.  Again.

Margie & Luke: Good leg this week, once again, and it was great to see them break free of their first place/fourth place rut.  That said . . . seriously, Luke?  Body-checking a woman?  Not cool, man.  And Margie, I see the point you were trying to make at the mat, but you said it in the completely wrong way.  I still like them, but their behavior (and Kisha & Jen's) disappointed me.

Jaime & Cara: The girls did a pretty decent job this week, your low finish notwithstanding.  And I do love that Jaime is actually trying to make an effort now in dealing with the locals more calmly and maturely.  If she keeps this up, they may start doing a whole lot better.

Mark & Michael: They were way too far behind from the get-go.  They were done like dinner from the beginning of the leg, and I think they knew it.  So I felt no pity or sadness from their elimination.  They seemed to do everything well enough on their final leg, though, and at least there was no cheating this time.  Still, they were easily the weakest team left, and it was time for them to go.

Okay.  With the F4 decided . . .

LOVE: Kisha/Jen, Tammy, Margie/Luke, Jaime/Cara
LIKE: No one
NEUTRAL: Victor
DISLIKE: No one
HATE: No one

Good episode.  Can't wait till next week.  I sincerely hope Jen's fear of water is a misdirection, though.
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #385 on: April 20, 2009, 04:22:13 AM »

What are you talking about?  It's clear, now that Mark & Michael are officially decoys, that Jaime & Cara are Margie & Luke are in the F3 together.  The "fighting" third team is clearly either Tammy & Victor regressing, or Kisha & Jen going back to fighting again.
I'm just asking if that "fighting" third team was mentioned in Jaime/Cara's insider videos posted above ^_^  :lol:
Account is awaiting approval for deletion (approved)

Offline makz3d

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #386 on: April 20, 2009, 05:19:50 AM »
Puddin or someone that can do a screencap from last nights show.

M/L are shown at the dancers.  This is at the 36 min mark of show.  Just before V/T get to the clue box.

Did they switch task?  Did they go the wrong way?  Do those doing the calligraphy have to run by dancers to get to the 4 calligraphers?  I don't think they have to run past the dancers but I'm not familiar with the layout of the area.

I think M/L were actually a little ahead of V/L & K/J.  When they realized the music involvement they switched task and lost their slight lead.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #387 on: April 20, 2009, 10:31:04 AM »
The dancers were right there near the cluebox / gate makz .. the teams ran past them.

Heres the caption for the missing drum task

"Our Parents Will Cry Themselves to Death"-- In this Route Marker, Jen (left) and brother/sister team Victor and Tammy walk down the karst hill beating traditional Drums of Life, on THE AMAZING RACE 14, Sunday, April 19  

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #388 on: April 20, 2009, 11:38:43 AM »
So regarding the alleged laughing at Luke  :badhorse: - I didn't actually hear any laughter - but there was definitely bared teeth...

Cross-cultural studies have shown that smiling is used as a means of communicating emotions throughout the world.[1]  Among animals, the exposure of teeth, which may bear a resemblance to a smile, is often used as a threat or warning display - known as a snarl - or a sign of submission. In chimpanzees, it can also be a sign of fear.:monkey

Maybe they were afraid of Luke or what Phil was going to say about the aggression.  :box:
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #389 on: April 20, 2009, 06:29:55 PM »
Here's my thoughts on the teams:

LaKisha & Jen -- great job coming in first place!  That's the good news.  The bad news is that you got into a big fight with Margie & Luke -- and laughed at them.  Even if it was just strategy to upset Luke even further -- and even if you had reason to dislike them, that's still not right.

Tammy & Victor -- my favorite team this leg, if only because you had no major problems with the tasks (although you struggled with the Roadblock), and didn't fight anyone.

Margie & Luke -- oh boy.  You didn't do yourselves any favors either.  While I understand why you thought the sisters were laughing at you, you were probably still wrong and you made matters worse for both yourselves and the other team.

Cara & Jamie -- you're learning a little, Jamie.  I hope it continues.  BTW, I would've done the Choreography Detour as well -- I'm not a great writer.

Mark & Michael -- no chance whatsoever.  See ya later guys.

Love:  Cara and Tammy
Like:  Jamie and Victor
Neutral:  LaKisha & Jen and Margie & Luke
Dislike:  No one
Hate:  No one

Belle Book

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #390 on: April 20, 2009, 07:36:01 PM »
Reality TV World:  Based on the fact it was already daylight out when your flight arrived in Guilen, it looked like you had to say overnight in Guangzhou and arrived in Guilen quite a bit behind everyone else, is that correct?

Mark: Yeah, well what happened was we missed our earlier flight so we ended up having to spend the night at the airport. So that definitely delayed us, we got in later that morning. The only way we actually picked up time was there was an obstacle... where [the contestants] had to wait for the park to open up. They actually didn't show that on the episode, they cut out a whole sequence of climbing 500 stairs to this temple in China.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-mark-and-michael-munoz-talk-about-the-amazing-race-8834.php

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #391 on: April 20, 2009, 07:41:11 PM »
Hours of Operation! I wish we had seen that task.
Just here to visit.

Offline littlewop

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #392 on: April 20, 2009, 08:10:07 PM »
Reality TV World:  Based on the fact it was already daylight out when your flight arrived in Guilen, it looked like you had to say overnight in Guangzhou and arrived in Guilen quite a bit behind everyone else, is that correct?

Mark: Yeah, well what happened was we missed our earlier flight so we ended up having to spend the night at the airport. So that definitely delayed us, we got in later that morning. The only way we actually picked up time was there was an obstacle... where [the contestants] had to wait for the park to open up. They actually didn't show that on the episode, they cut out a whole sequence of climbing 500 stairs to this temple in China.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-mark-and-michael-munoz-talk-about-the-amazing-race-8834.php

That was a big task to leave out of the episode.  The hour of operation thing could have made it possible for M/M to catch up.  I hate when they leave things out.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #393 on: April 20, 2009, 08:14:40 PM »
BTW, I would've done the Choreography Detour as well -- I'm not a great writer.

Oh yes you are!!!!! :hugs:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #394 on: April 21, 2009, 12:40:06 PM »
Interesting leg, with the fighting at all. I won't side any team here, I think both teams are at fault but IMO, the reason they all reacted the way they did was the heat of the race. I mean, it's already down to the final five, everyone must be really tired, not to mention that with such a small group left, it's every man for himself and they've got to get more competitive. So I'm not really blaming any team here. I think that both teams are nice people.

Kisha and Jen - I wished Tammy and Victor could have won, but it's nice seeing yet another team claiming first place, so I'm still happy. And we have to admit, the girls can certainly run!

Tammy and Victor - I was laughing when Victor actually asked Margie and Luke's driver to drive more slowly. Love hearing them speak Mandarin, it sure gave them an edge. Too bad that edge was used helping the other teams too, so they didn't exactly get an advantage.

Margie and Luke - They broke their 1st and 4th place patterns! I think Luke needs to tone down a little but well, not really faulting him either. It's the heat of the race, lol.

Cara and Jaime - Bad luck at the Detour, the inability to communicate and all. I was hoping they could win their first leg this time, but too bad. Hoping for them to win a leg soon!

Mark and Michael - Yay that they didn't catch up, but it was a good leg ran. Bye guys!

Liking all four teams that're left now! :)
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #395 on: April 21, 2009, 02:33:04 PM »
I'm watching Bonnie Hunt and the fact that the show was pre-filmed last week might explain why her website released that the brothers were the latest team next to be on her show. I wonder how she got the audience to keep the secret? or they might not be fans and might not care? lol

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #396 on: April 21, 2009, 02:35:30 PM »
That's interesting.
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #397 on: April 21, 2009, 02:42:06 PM »
Well she Jorge Garcias clip is the same that was posted above, this was the first time hes been on Bonnie and of course her outfit is the same so it couldn't have been edited in. I'll get the video up and post it on the racers thread.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #398 on: April 21, 2009, 10:21:35 PM »
I have researched the opening hours for Folding Brocade Mountain/Hill in Guilin. They are:

Hours 6:30am-6:30pm (cave 7am-4pm)

Unfortunately, this provides no help for when the first 4 teams would have finished up here and gone on to the hair salon "normal" cluebox. It also raises the question of wouldn't Mark and Michael have to come here and do the task, which wqould make it even harder for them to catch up to finish a reported 30 minutes behind the 4th place team.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #399 on: April 21, 2009, 11:05:30 PM »
A few tidbits from a crew member over at Baidu...

Quote from: MM
I signed a contract, can't reveal too much!

Just a little bit: the teams' first destination out of the airport was actually the Folded Brocade Mountains; they spent a night camping on the hill, but it was cut!

Quote from: MM
The ladies and fishermen were paid for their appearance. The background crew work really hard for any show, especially this kind of reality show where nothing must go wrong! The production assistants arrived in Guilin a week beforehand to prepare. It's not easy. Of course the crew here in China must be credited too!

I can see that everyone here is dedicated to the show. I'm moved and have since fallen in love with the show as well! Although the show has been aired, I can't reveal too much because of the contract. I seek your forgiveness.

Other things they're discussing: Tammy/Victor's ancestral lineage (they've settled on Taiwanese), how race issues work in the US, the clumsiness of the translation of "foreign-born Chinese from America", pride on seeing the Chinese flag on the fishing rafts, how we didn't get to see all the scenery Guilin has to offer, happiness over the quaint portrayal of the Chinese "countryside" (Apskip may wish to differ!), the hilarity/weirdness of how they got two random old folks to have lunch at the Pit Stop, how no one washes hair that way, how Victor still sounds sissy when he speaks Chinese...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 11:13:37 PM by Neobie »