Author Topic: TAR14 EP9: 'Our Parents Will Cry Themselves to Death' (China)  (Read 170359 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR14 EP9: 'Our Parents Will Cry Themselves to Death' (China)
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2009, 11:18:39 AM »
Good stuff kaad an Neobie! awesome! :yess: :jam:

another clue and dancing!!!!!!!!!

A THROWDOWN AT A CLUEBOX LEADS TO A MAT MELTDOWN, AND ONE RACER'S FRUSTRATION WITH FOREIGN LANGUAGES CONTINUES TO GROW, ON "THE AMAZING RACE," APRIL 19

"Our Parents Will Cry Themselves to Death" (China) — During the Detour, one Racer is frustrated when a dancing judge doesn’t understand their question, and two Teams battle each other throughout the leg, leading to a full-blown mat meltdown, on THE AMAZING RACE 14, Sunday, April 19 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Phil Keoghan is host.
Jaime & Cara with their cheerleading background do a dancing task. When Jaime doesn't get the answer she wants, she yells at the judge. Then Bruno, Len and Carrie Ann Inaba come out from Dancing With the Stars and pummel her with brooms. :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2009, 11:35:14 AM »
Jaime & Cara with their cheerleading background do a dancing task. When Jaime doesn't get the answer she wants, she yells at the judge. Then Bruno, Len and Carrie Ann Inaba come out from Dancing With the Stars and pummel her with brooms. :lol:

I like this. A cross network, cross reaity show competition. After the broom beating, Phil has a flock of cormorants swallow up Bruno, Len and Carrie Ann and reguritate them on the mat.
Matthew 7:15

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2009, 11:39:54 AM »
That's tremendous!!!!! :funny: :funny:

There are so many directions we can take this. I want to take this so badly, but I won't.

Suffice to say that Jaime will berate the judge and probably not get in trouble.
Just here to visit.

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2009, 12:20:35 PM »
This is a lot to do in one leg. Looking something like this? (From spoiler thread):

EP09: Bangkok, Thailand to Guilin, China
Air Date: APR 19
Film Date: NOV 17-18
[Route Info]: Fly to Guilin, China, find hair salon on Qingxiu Road
[Speed Bump]: Wash hair at Shengsheng/Yingying salon (Mark/Michael)
[Route Info]: Perform traditional Chinese dance
[Roadblock]: Task at coal (steel?) factory (Kisha)
[Route Info]: Find Guilin Li River Folk Customs Center
[Detour]: Cormorant fishing or something involving Chinese characters (Kisha/Jen)?
[Pit Stop]: Soulmate Pier
Other Possible Task Locations: Zhiyin Pier, Old South Gate, Di-Tsai mountain, Peak of the Luminous Moon (Folded Brocade Mountain)
Possible Eliminated Teams: Michael/Mark

Neobie, I'm wondering if teams do additional tasks in Guilin in the next episode before moving on to Beijing -- would that help us fit in some of these other locations?

Guessing the dance comes after the clue at the salon -- On the clue in Luke's hand, I'm seeing "Perform a Chinese..."

Offline kaad

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2009, 12:23:14 PM »
kaad, your statement
Guilin is not a commercial city...just a small tourist province...so taxi driver/people there don't know how to speak in English is quite normal
No, Guilin is not a small town. It is a city of 600,000 in a metro area of 1.34 million. It has hordes of English-speaking tourists visiting regularly. I would guess that there is a fair comprehension of English by some residents, although not more than 1 in 10. What are my credentials to say this? I've been there. Have you? I don't recall any difficulty getting around and I speak no Mandarin.

I mean compare to Beijing,Shanghai,Guangzhou,Shenzhen these commercial zone, you know what i mean now?
I've been there, but I'm Chinese, so i have no problem in commuincation.
People there may know English, but not a lot, like what i said before.

Some people may get bad luck, you can find non-english speaker everywhere in China

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2009, 12:40:06 PM »
kaad, your statement
Guilin is not a commercial city...just a small tourist province...so taxi driver/people there don't know how to speak in English is quite normal
No, Guilin is not a small town. It is a city of 600,000 in a metro area of 1.34 million. It has hordes of English-speaking tourists visiting regularly. I would guess that there is a fair comprehension of English by some residents, although not more than 1 in 10. What are my credentials to say this? I've been there. Have you? I don't recall any difficulty getting around and I speak no Mandarin.

I mean compare to Beijing,Shanghai,Guangzhou,Shenzhen these commercial zone, you know what i mean now?
I've been there, but I'm Chinese, so i have no problem in commuincation.
People there may know English, but not a lot, like what i said before.

Some people may get bad luck, you can find non-english speaker everywhere in China

A population of 600 000 ranks it around #77 in China, I think! And #77 in the US is like Chandler, Arizona. :duno:

They will have to try very hard to get people to speak English - especially with the places they're going to! The Sheraton Hotel yes, Folded Brocade Mountains yes, everywhere else - it's gonna take effort finding someone. Some of them can't even speak Mandarin!

I'm starting to wonder if the Old South Gate was a red herring. I can bet tar and feathers on the Folded Brocade Mountains though.

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2009, 12:52:42 PM »
Wow, so we get to see Luke's hot tempered side next week. I'm already looking forward to next week's episode. Not that I love meltdowns, but it's probably gonna be the most heated pit-stop moment ever, can't wait to catch that. Poor Phil, he's gonna have to mediate. And looks like Tammy and Victor check in around the same time as the two teams, they'll probably be all stuck in the shouting lol. Hope that Mark and Michael don't catch up heh.
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2009, 01:39:52 PM »
Neobie, I'm wondering if teams do additional tasks in Guilin in the next episode before moving on to Beijing -- would that help us fit in some of these other locations?
What if the whole Luke battles Jen and Jen battles Luke scenes are part from a route info scavenger hunt (look through all the clue boxes until you find the right one)?
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

DavidJunior

« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2009, 02:49:33 PM »
i was wondering...

if the fight between Jen/Luke on/after the mat is 45 mins long, maybe they get there around the same time, and Tammy/Victor arrive later but K/J and M/L are still there fighting and arguing when they arrive

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2009, 03:20:23 PM »
Thank you kaad!! And Neobie of course!! What amazing work, y'all are great!

I think I am looking forward to this episode almost most of all!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2009, 03:23:13 PM »
When I saw the preview I was thinking "Wow. Now that is the mat meltdown!"

I hope everyone doesn't get mad at Jen for this just because Luke is deaf. Based on the limited footage we have, it appears it was completely Luke's fault.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2009, 03:36:56 PM »
Neobie,

Your ranking of Chinese cities appears to be fairly reasonable, although Guilin's metropolitan area is 51st in China. However, the better point of reference for me (and I think for most Amazing Race viewers, who are mostly in the U.S.) is to large cities of 600,000 in the U.S. On that basis, Guilin is comparable to El Paso, Milwaukee, Boston, Seattle and Denver. There are only 20 U.S. cities larger than Guilin. Its population may be medium-sized in the China pecking order but it would be large looked at from the U.S. perspective.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2009, 06:43:37 PM »
Our Parents Will Cry Themselves to Death (China)
When birds attack! - A fishing cormorant draws blood. A throwdown at a Cluebox leads to a mat showdown. One racer's frustration with non-English speakers grows and check out the most explosive pit stop - EVER!

From the info we have and later info, I think Jamie's the one who gets frustrated with non-English speakers.  As for the throwdown which leads to the mat showdown, that clearly refers to Jen & Luke getting into it!

BTW, although I do think it's possible that Cara & Jamie come in fourth, I'm hoping they come in first and that LaKisha & Jen and Margie & Luke are battling for second and third.  Tammy & Victor come in either third or fourth, but it doesn't matter -- Mark & Michael are doomed bunnies.

Belle Book

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2009, 10:11:01 PM »
re: the showdown

I was wondering if it was related to the Bangkok leg whereby Jen/Kisha and Margie/Luke were following each other.  After M/L took off Jen/Kisha asked their Taxi driver if M/L's taxi driver gave him the wrong directions and he said yeah.
When in fact M/L had told their taxi driver not to tell J/K's taxi driver about the pedestrians who knew were the boat yard was.

J/K seemed pretty P**ed at M/L about this.

so maybe the showdown is a continuation of this.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2009, 10:28:18 PM »
re: the showdown

I was wondering if it was related to the Bangkok leg whereby Jen/Kisha and Margie/Luke were following each other.  After M/L took off Jen/Kisha asked their Taxi driver if M/L's taxi driver gave him the wrong directions and he said yeah.
When in fact M/L had told their taxi driver not to tell J/K's taxi driver about the pedestrians who knew were the boat yard was.

J/K seemed pretty P**ed at M/L about this.

so maybe the showdown is a continuation of this.

Whatever it's about, they better put them in the proper light (i.e., not make Luke look like the victim when he was the one who started it).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 12:51:54 AM by Raymond »
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline kaad

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2009, 12:47:15 AM »
Neobie,

Your ranking of Chinese cities appears to be fairly reasonable, although Guilin's metropolitan area is 51st in China. However, the better point of reference for me (and I think for most Amazing Race viewers, who are mostly in the U.S.) is to large cities of 600,000 in the U.S. On that basis, Guilin is comparable to El Paso, Milwaukee, Boston, Seattle and Denver. There are only 20 U.S. cities larger than Guilin. Its population may be medium-sized in the China pecking order but it would be large looked at from the U.S. perspective.

:waves:  I'm actually talking about its commercialize level, the size of it can be a factor, but not always. Like Hong Kong, a small region, but ranking in 7th of the top urban centers in China, Guilin hasn't made it to the top 20.(not even a city of Guangxi Autonomous regions), you can check it on wikipedia.

To conclude...China is much different than the U.S :duno:

Offline realshowfan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Frantic Fanfic Fanatic!
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2009, 04:27:11 AM »
Hm...

Is it for sure that Mark&Michael will have to do their Speedbump in the salon? Usually the Speedbumped team goes somewhere else, right?

You know, if either teams Kisha&Jen and Luke&Margie are not last, shouldn't it be okay for them? I mean, there might be a conflict if they got to pitstop 1st/2nd, but L&M got a few prizes already, and if they're not 1st and last, they'd leave at almost the same time? It was there at the preview where Jen first called Luke a bit... You know what. lol  Um...Can Luke hear that? Maybe he could read her lips, or maybe Margie told him, I dunno. :duno: My last theory is that basically Luke knew what Jen called him, and then maybe at pitstop that topic somehow came in and started the argument.
This summer ※ The Amazing Race: ZBC // RSF
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,31363.0.html

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2009, 05:35:30 AM »
Hm...

Is it for sure that Mark&Michael will have to do their Speedbump in the salon? Usually the Speedbumped team goes somewhere else, right?

You know, if either teams Kisha&Jen and Luke&Margie are not last, shouldn't it be okay for them? I mean, there might be a conflict if they got to pitstop 1st/2nd, but L&M got a few prizes already, and if they're not 1st and last, they'd leave at almost the same time? It was there at the preview where Jen first called Luke a bit... You know what. lol  Um...Can Luke hear that? Maybe he could read her lips, or maybe Margie told him, I dunno. :duno: My last theory is that basically Luke knew what Jen called him, and then maybe at pitstop that topic somehow came in and started the argument.

Last season, Dandrew performed their speed bump at the exact park where they spent having the shetland pony and detour. And with the lead of all other teams with Mark and Michael, I even feel that were going to have our first unused/unaired speed bump!  :funny:
Account is awaiting approval for deletion (approved)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2009, 07:28:19 AM »
Most of the time teams do travel by taxi to the Speed Bump. However, in AR13 the critical second Moscow episode Dan/Andrew did their SPEED BUMP right in Sokolniky Park very close to the Shetland pony lady giving out DETOUR clues. So there is precedence for a Speed Bump being at the same place. The key is that the task itself will be designed to take longer when there is no transportaiton needed.

EDITOR's NOTE - Thanks to Raymond, who knew what I meant from the second usage of Speed Bump in this post and advised me to make sure the first one was SPEED BUMP (originally ROADBLOCK, but that is not what I meant) too.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 05:28:44 PM by apskip »

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2009, 07:41:38 AM »
Hm...

Last season, Dandrew performed their speed bump at the exact park where they spent having the shetland pony and detour. And with the lead of all other teams with Mark and Michael, I even feel that were going to have our first unused/unaired speed bump!  :funny:

I do not think so... A speed bump is more special than the Fast forward (which are commonly unaired when unused). I think the show will "shorten" the gap for excitement, making M/M do the speedbump. But if M/M got stock in Thailand that made them SOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... FAR............ behind, then there is a possibility of that.
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2009, 07:52:33 AM »
Most of the time teams do travel by taxi to the Speed Bump. However, in AR13 the critical second Moscow episode Dan/Andrew did their ROADBLOCK right in Sokolniky Park very close to the Shetland pony lady giving out DETOUR clues. So there is precedence for a Speed bump being at the same place. The key is that the task itself will be designed to take longer when there is no transportaiton needed.

I think you mean Speed Bump, not Road Block.

Anyways, can't wait for the Guilin leg!!!
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2009, 10:33:39 AM »
Heres what Phil has to say fwiw:

I've been teeing it up for weeks now, and we're finally here: Next week is the most memorable mat meltdown of all time. Margie and Luke vs. Kisha and Jen. These two teams battle throughout the entire leg and end up with mere seconds separating them at the check in. I've never seen two teams go at it like this before and have it carry all the way to the mat.

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/04/amazing-race.html

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2009, 12:09:31 PM »
it sounds like the showdown between J/K adn and M/L has to do with the aggressiveness shown in the previews when the two teams arrive at the clueboxes.  We see it every season....teams battle it out to get the clue first from the cluebox.  We've seen pushing and cutting in line at the last second before.  There is always a team that is upset about it.  This is nothing new.  this appears to be the same thing however it seems to happen more than once in this leg which leads to more tension.  I can see why both teams would  blow up.  Jen seems like the kind of girl that won't back down and Luke has played aggressively.   As someone suggested earlier, I wouldn't doubt that what happened in Bangkok created a bit of animosity with J/K against M/L and that is aggravated more by the aggressiveness of Luke at the clueboxes.   

I have to say, I feel sorry for Margie for having to keep up with an angry signing Luke in the arguement with J/K!  How frustating that would be.  :lol:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2009, 05:33:30 PM »
and yet another echo of Season 6: "Someone I'm gonna break in half!"
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move