Author Topic: TAR14 EP9: 'Our Parents Will Cry Themselves to Death' (China)  (Read 170379 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
04/19- Our Parents Will Cry Themselves to Death (China)

Guilin, China (Nov 17-) 

TARA brings us info from a China forum:

went to a local net-forum of TAR fans in china and someone posted saying TAR14 was visiting china. they saw Phil and the production crew. more than 40 people replied (that's a large number of population in the forum)
and more detailed information was post out
sorry, phil and Mr. Van Munster. I love your show so much, but people here just want to know more about it.
so here it is:
date: nov.18th
a girl said her boyfriend helped the production, seemed like to be one of the local assistant.
she claimed that when her bf told her that, she instantly thought about TAR and could confirm that.
they lived in Sheraton and the pit top was Sun-Moon-Tower.
and a mountain named Di-Tsai was also visited.
They also have been to a steel factory.
It was also said teams had to go to a hair salon to wash their hair.
Phil was described very tall and handsome by her bf.
And for security reasons, all assistants have been asked to remain their position after everyone is on the plane, the left the same day.
so far, no photo evidence.
P.S some others said people see a lot of foreign people running in the subway in Shanghai days b4 that which the city was visited in season 6.

Neobie follows up here:

Called up the Sheraton in Guilin, and they've been nice enough to tell us that production started arriving in dribs and drabs on the 10th, and they all left on the 20th. Remembering Salvador's whiteboard, that means teams would most likely have taken flights out on the 20th as well. How does that fit in?
Also called up the Sheraton and Meridien in Shanghai, but they have no record of WRP Group. Any other ideas we could try, or should we rule Shanghai out?

Neobie:
Got corroboration from various people that the Guilin leg took place on the 17th of November. Here are the various clues from the locals that help confirm the fact:
1. It was a Monday.
2. Production started serious work two days before, and on the third day (presumably the day the racers came by) it was drizzling.

With Phuket being filmed at least until the afternoon of the 15th, that would mean Phuket and Guilin are consecutive legs! Will discuss more in the timetables thread...

Nothing much to report at the South Gate, but just enough to confirm that teams were there. A girl in the Tourist Office (20m west of the gate) remembers seeing a team run past with a camera crew, eastwards towards the gate. A pair of tour guides told me they heard of filming on both sides of the twin bridges, just in front of the gates. Nobody at the gate, though, could tell me anything. There's a tea shop on top, but the manager there told me if there was any filming at or outside their shop, they would have been contacted. (Lie detector did not go off, I kind of believe her.)

*interrupting the starting line posts for a while*

If there is a perfect place for a Pit Stop in Guilin, TPTB found it!

This is the Peak of the Luminous Moon in the Folded Brocade Mountains, overlooking the city of Guilin from the north, and Pit Stop in a race around the world! (Less poetic official translators call it Bright Moon Peak.)

Production closed the entire compound from 6pm on the 17th (the usual time vendors pack up and go home), and stayed ON the hilltop the entire night. There was a TPTB security team of six. (Geez, how much security do you need?) The peak's really just a courtyard with a little shelter, but the views here are marvelous. According to those who witnessed production, they have been hanging around for two days beforehand (since the 15th), and finally set up lights and a few tents for the big event, on the night of the 17th.

The people I talked to remembered rain that afternoon, when a few members of production popped by. The main activity, though, started at around 9pm. About 50-60 sandwiches were catered for the night, and a huge crowd started streaming in from 12am to 3am. It's such a huge group those I've talked to couldn't differentiate between crew and cast, but I guess those are our racers! (So late?)

Word of caution to the racers:

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 07:48:23 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: TAR 14 EP8: 'Our Parents Will Cry Themselves to Death (China)'
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 11:59:01 PM »
"Our Parents Will Cry Themselves to Death" (China)

*AND ONE RACER'S FRUSTRATION WITH FOREIGN LANGUAGES CONTINUES TO GROW
During the Detour, one Racer is frustrated when a dancing judge dosen’t understand their question.
.... One racer's frustration with non-English speakers grows

*When birds attack! - A fishing cormorant draws blood

* A throwdown at a Cluebox leads to a mat showdown
...and two Teams battle each other throughout the leg, leading to a full-blown mat meltdown
...and check out the most explosive pit stop - EVER!

we see the clue box at the barber shop with The Brothers "speedbump" plaque and Jen & Luke fighting it out.
Thanks again to TARA "It was also said teams had to go to a hair salon to wash their hair"

more shoving
I got it! After I ask the people who live in Guilin, he said one of the clue box was at the entrance of the Guilin Li Rver Folk Customs Centre, Here is the picture.

Detours

*AND ONE RACER'S FRUSTRATION WITH FOREIGN LANGUAGES CONTINUES TO GROW
During the Detour, one Racer is frustrated when a dancing judge doesn’t understand their question.
.... One racer's frustration with non-English speakers grows 

dancing:

Jamie & Cara

Unknown if this is the Roadblock or Detour? 
*When birds attack! - A fishing cormorant draws blood

Luke

The Sisters on a boat

Kishas dirty hand might be mining/coal related thanks to kaad and thanks to TARA for bringing us info from the China forum " They also have been to a steel factory"

and now for the hyped up pitstop.........and some teams holding note books of some sort
The Peak of the Luminous Moon in the Folded Brocade Mountains

* A throwdown at a Cluebox leads to a mat showdown
...and two Teams battle each other throughout the leg, leading to a full-blown mat meltdown
...and check out the most explosive pit stop - EVER!

thanks to Neobie:
Map and whos on first? Phils blog tells us that The Sisters and Luke/Marge arrive in mere seconds of each other.

Whos toast? Well given Mark & Michaels penalty on the prior leg and their late night sighting NOT in Guilin then it would seem to me that they are indeed eliminated. And thanks to Bonnie Hunt we know this is NOT a NEL.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 03:57:18 PM by puddin »

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 12:13:26 AM »
saved and .........

I'll say it first, the title has to be Tammy & Victor or Mark & Michael but I'll pick Tammy & Victor

Well, Kisha & Jen could've said this too, unless the Bangkok leg is an elim & they're next.
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 12:58:47 AM »
Jen 'n' Kisha or Tammy 'n' Vic. Mark 'n' Mike too but lower on the totem pole!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 04:34:09 AM »
I think you've got the wrong episode number, puddin.
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 07:55:14 AM »
Could it be Tammy/Victor?
Account is awaiting approval for deletion (approved)

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 08:54:59 AM »
I think it's Tammy & Victor. But don't forget, anything too obvious is most likely not true. You never know though.
Just here to visit.

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 08:59:42 AM »
I think it's Tammy & Victor. But don't forget, anything too obvious is most likely not true. You never know though.

I can think of them and Kisha and Jen saying it.  I really doubt that Mark and Michael will.  It is probably Tammy and Victor.

Offline Dragoondaniel

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 10:33:27 AM »
I can definitely see T/V saying it after they fumble at one of the Chinese-related tasks in China, since they supposedly have Chinese heritage.  :funny: :lol:

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 10:46:58 AM »
Whichever team says the opening title, that team usually is still in the Race.  If it's LaKisha & Jen, they're still in.  If it's Mark & Michael (unlikely but possible), they're still in.  If it's Tammy & Victor, they're still in.  I think it's Tammy & Victor and they make it to Beijing.

Belle Book

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: TAR14 EP9: 'Our Parents Will Cry Themselves to Death' (China)
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 12:49:54 PM »
I can definitely see T/V saying it after they fumble at one of the Chinese-related tasks in China, since they supposedly have Chinese heritage.  :funny: :lol:
Thats what I was thinking Dragoon! plus I think it could be any of the 3 remaining related teams as well cuz Bangkok should be a NEL but still I'll take Tammy & Vic for the title.

I think you've got the wrong episode number, puddin.
Fixed!  :lol:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 01:39:58 PM »
I'm going to call it a Tammy & Victor quote. It just sounds like something they would say.

Is Guilin the place with those cool hills over the lake? If so, this episode will give us more beautiful scenery!
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 01:44:26 PM »
Karst formations have unusual shapes for rock. They can be the backdrop for lakes (of which there are few in that region) or rivers (of which there are many) in photos.

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 05:00:22 PM »
I think it's Tammy & Victor because they mess up at a task or something in China, their homeland.  Though it could also be Kisha & Jen, assuming they make it through Bangkok.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 04:01:52 PM by Ashe »
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline eragon

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 11:48:03 PM »
I'm gonna say it's Tammy & Victor. Maybe Tammy said this while Victor is doing the Roadblock (which is possibly a Chinese-related task).

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 01:09:56 AM »
I'm going to think that T/V actually said this line because they were the only team ever to include their parents in their conversation in the cameras during the previous legs... But for all we know, it might be J/C or K/J also...

But this goes in general... I wonder what happened to them and why would their "parents cry themselves to death"...  :lol:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 01:13:28 AM by Mooyou »

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 01:15:36 AM »
I'm gonna say it's Tammy & Victor. Maybe Tammy said this while Victor is doing the Roadblock (which is possibly a Chinese-related task).

If there is indeed a Chinese related task that T/V would be challenged, I wonder even more about the other teams... I already could imagine Jaime going nuts over Chinese characters - especially it is even harder because it is very hard to convert to english, Luke being tortured like the word "CHEKHOV" and the others having trouble as well...

If T/V says this quote, at least we have a cultural challenge this leg!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 01:19:38 AM by Mooyou »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 01:39:18 AM »
If T/V says this quote, at least we have a cultural challenge this leg!

Unless their parents are crying because TPTB slaughters 5000 years of Chinese culture... :groan:

Alright, some additional information on the locations (tourist map here):

Sheraton Hotel (No 25 on map)
Production base. Hotel staff all know of production, but secretive crew kept them out of the loop.

Peak of the Luminous Moon (Mingyue Feng, north end of Binjiang Road)
Pit Stop. One of the four peaks in the Folded Brocade Mountain (Diecai Shan) range. Production started at dusk on the 17th, and lasted until the following morning. One souvenir vendor was engaged to provide 50-60 sandwiches for the night, and she opened the gate for racers coming in, which took until about 3am. She couldn't tell racers from crew.

The cave mentioned in the blog Joab found is halfway down from the peak. Racers must pass through the cave to make it up to the top, where Phil stood waiting. And waiting. And waiting...

South City Gate (Gunammen, No 10 on map)
The girl working at the Guilin Tourist Information Center saw the team running by during office hours (between 8.30am and 10.00pm). Tough luck, Mark and Michael!

Sun and Moon Towers, and the Soulmate Pier (Riyue Shuangta and Zhiyin Tai, No 13 on map)
The clue was on Soulmate Pier, which faces the towers in the middle of the lake. There is a ticketing booth for tourist boats on the pier, and the guy manning the booth was probably lying when he said he didn't know anything. Teams not likely to have entered the towers though.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 04:08:33 AM by Neobie »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 02:02:59 AM »
A couple of panos here include the Diecai massif, but I'm not sure if it's the place we're looking for.

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 02:20:24 PM »
The girl working at the Guilin Tourist Information Center saw the team running by during office hours (between 8.30am and 10.00pm). Tough luck, Mark and Michael!
So Mark & Michael were the team seen?  Or they weren't?
Jamison

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 02:44:50 PM »
So Mark & Michael were the team seen?  Or they weren't?

I'm not sure I know about this either Neobie? Or did I and now have forgotten?? :funny:

In any case, can you tell us more??
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 04:47:37 PM »

Heres the Guangzhou China airport sighting on November 17th at 11pm :)

We were in the Guangzhou China airport November 17th around 11pm and saw a team of two caucasian men wearing backpacks running through the airport with a cameraman and producer in tow. They were in the baggage claim area and were in a hurry to find something and stopped at hte information desk to ask directions. The cameraman was working to capture every move. The men were both short and appeared to be related. One had a fanny pack that was visible with red/yellow/back horizontal stripes on it. We went up to them and said "Are you with the Amazing Race?". They said "No", but we are waiting for cast pictures to see if they were telling the truth or not.

--------------------
They were both rarther short (5 ft 5 or less my guess) with brownish red hair. They looked like they were related. I think at least one of them wore glasses. They were "thick" build but not fat. They were wearing shorts and tshirts and both had on back packs. They were very much in a hurry and looked stressed. There was a camera man that was filming their every move and a person carrying a microphone that was stuck in front of their faces as well. Hope that helps
-------------------
It very well could have been Mark and Michael.

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 05:13:03 PM »
Sounds very much like Mark & Michael.  Though they're actually Latino, not Caucasian.

Now, is this the F5 or the F4?  Are they ahead, or way, way behind?
Jamison

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 05:40:39 PM »
Sounds very much like Mark & Michael.  Though they're actually Latino, not Caucasian.

Now, is this the F5 or the F4?  Are they ahead, or way, way behind?

I assume that it is final 5 because leg 8 is most likely a NEL.
Guangzhou is closer to Guilin then Beijing.
And Mark and Michael do look caucasian in my mind, even if they aren't.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 05:56:22 PM by Snooky101 »

Offline SingularStars

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • The ultimate racer.
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 05:42:44 PM »
Having three legs/episodes in China will be amazing! Especially two of them being in Beijing because I just came home from spending my Spring Break in China! I really want to see if they will visit any of the places that I went to.